Pinebrook Golf and Country Club Employee Reviews

Experienced golf chef
Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2019
By all rights, I have extensive kitchen experience, and several golf courses, but I do have my own baggage. I am not perfect. But with new management and Chef when I was there, who is obviously talented, but has a lack of communication, expects you to read his mind, and has created a culture of tension in the kitchen. He plays favourites, and if you slip, don't expect too much consolation. Certain recipes I have made a certain way for years, he makes differently, and gets upset and questions your abilities when you make the food he requests, without any input. He unfortunately, is way over his head with multiple outlets and a banquet department, after working fine dining small restaurants. Good friends with the food and beverage manager, you can figure out the rest. May have changed there, he may be more settled in, but watch out for his lack of patience. Most of the equipment is old and not properly taken care of, and is necessary to get your job done, but needs to be coddled to get through the day.
Pros
Nice big kitcheni
Cons
Chef is old school, and unless you read minds, your screwed.
Great environment, expert crew!
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2019
Typically spend 8-10 hours in the club, it is well kept and organized.
The kitchen is clean and organized with high quality equipment and efficient work space. Challenges I faced in the kitchen was that the production days could get heavy but that's to be expected at this type of facility, but it does make the day go faster when it's busy. Friendly and knowledgeable staff to be around.
Pros
free golf, staff meal, good wage
Cons
long hours (to be expected), seasonal
Fun, relaxed, lots of variety
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2018
Great work environment (in the banquet center), serving the weddings is always very fun and not very hard because they are usually buffets, so you don't have to deal with the guests food at all. There is a bit of heavy lifting as you need to set up and tear down the room in preparation for weddings and other events.

The pay is amazing as a banquet server. Wedding gratuity adds a ton of money onto your paycheck, so it usually sums up to around $30/hour with grat.

Management is really nice and relaxed, there's a good amount of guidance as well as freedom to take charge of your own work throughout your shift.
Pros
Wedding gratuity
Cons
Some heavy lifting
GREAT Place to Work!
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 August 2018
Great management, who appreciate, take care of their staff and are felxiable with scheduling! Laid back management style.

Busy, faced paced environment for anyone who wants lots of hours and good money.

Only downside, is taking vacation time in the summer can be hard.

Would highly recommend working at Pinebrook, especially if you are a student! They are very accommodating
Poor management/Understaffed
Server,Bartender,Banquets (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
There are two managers for the restaurant/banquets, one who sits in his office eating all day and another who dictates your every move. Always understaffed some nights there will be 3 servers for a wedding of 195... meaning you are required to serve/clear/replenish 65 guests alone on top of polishing and setting up for an event the following evening.. The turn over rate is huge, no one returns after a month, let alone season. Zero work/life balance as you’ll work 4pm-230am then have an event the following morning at 10am. If you request ANY time off in the summer you are punished by staying later to make up.. not to mention your tip out is 10% on top of it all? 10% you ask well that’s because it’s a members only club aging at 55+ and that’s “good enough” for employees. Don’t waste your gas coming out to this run down, poorly managed “member destionation”
long hours and poor management
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
beautiful golf course with the potential to be a great place to work. often understaffed, meaning working long hours and picking up extra shifts. management is always changing, and not the best.
Great Place to Work
Backshop Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
It was a great experience where I got to work outside and meet a lot of people. The clients were always in a good mood because they were playing golf and the work environment was pretty good.
Pros
Working Outside
Cons
Long hours, Subject to weather
fun place to work
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2018
great staff and coworkers. flexible with scheduling for everyone. good management that take care of their staff as well as customers. would highly recommend.
Best Job Ever
Landing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
I loved getting up in the morning and going to work each and every day.
The members and staff were extremely wonderful to work with all around.
I felt my attitude and work ethic of giving 150% was greatly appreciated. It made me want to do my job even better to exceed the basic standards.
Pros
Free use of practice facilities and golf course
Cons
seasonal work
learning table
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2016
great place to work at, a lot to learn from the elite team of culinary experts. great place for career advancment.decent size crew and everyone is really friendly.
good place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2016
mostly work morning shifts, which can be slow depending on the weather and tee sheet for the day
great working environment
well run
Great opportunity; poor management
Operations and Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2014
I enjoyed working at the Pinebrook Golf and Country Club because of the ability to see the effect of your work on the quality of the member's experience. As a part of the Grounds and Operations crew, it was my responsibility to learn to master equipment in a short amount of time, and be counted on to mentor young employees. Unfortunately, I had a hard time connecting with the managers and felt uncomfortable approaching them with questions or issues. This made it hard for me to adjust to the culture and recognize workplace etiquette and expectations. I felt like I was adjusting well, but they fired me without reason or notice and this highlights their inability to create healthy relationships with their employees.
Pros
Free lunch, afternoons free
Cons
Early mornings, subpar management
Productive and professional work place at the Pinebrook Golf and Country Club
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2014
-Finishing morning jobs promptly prior to golfers starting their morning tee off time (mowing, sand trap raking, general clean up and maintenance)
-Being professional and courteous to the members of the course made their day as well as my day much more enjoyable
-The most enjoyable part of the job was producing quality work that received compliments from golfers, management and co-workers
-The hardest part of the job was the long hours of weed-whacking which was hard on the back
Pros
Free lunches, finishing at 2pm, free golfing
Cons
Dealing with my allergies to grass

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pinebrook Golf and Country Club. Our community is ready to answer.

Pinebrook Golf and Country Club Reviews by Job Title