Pilot Flying J

Canada73 reviews

Found 73 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,457 reviews
shiftmanagerstafffreethinglongpaytime

low wage

low wages for maximum effortmanagement isn't the best, lots of gossipingbut my co-workers were great. The great thing about the job is that it is fast-paced.

Happy

It is a fun place to work. Focus is on great guest experiences and great relationships amongst the team. I am very happy at my job and don't dread having to go to work each day.

Insights into Pilot Flying J

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Sometimes it’s fun and interactive

Working at pilot full time gives you a lot of good benefits and pag is also decent. They do have a very flexible schedule and they are trying to improving the experience at the company.

Poor leadership skills within management team.

All the managers care about is there 13 week reports. They even delete coffee orders to make their 13 week report so the store goes through the following week without coffee. No leadership skills in the management team. Just dictatorship. Its all through the management team. From top to bottom. Sad really.

escaped employee

Keep going..poor management, low pay, big egos, unprofessional conduct disrespect towards manager, can not retain staffunsatisfactory training methods

It’s fast paced so the day goes fast. But it’s tough gross work no one wants to do

Try to get cash. Maintenance is just Janitorial. (Bathroom/Shower duty) It’s a truck stop so expect rude customers and disgusting things. You do get trained on the job for propane work.

Poor management

Not a good place to work if you are a great and hard working employee and actually do your job they will take advantage of that. So if you make a mistake it's like the end of the world byt the employee that doesn't do anything still has a job and won't do anything and management doesn't care. Management also has favorites and it's extremely noticeable. The use the line "we are a family" to guilt you into doing other people's work

27 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to relay your concerns about the management. We'd like to discuss more if you could follow up with an email to pfjhr@pilottravelcenters.com.

Fast paced and a fun place to work.

There is the deli, maintenance, cash and Cinnabon. I work in the deli. Working in the kitchen is a lot of fun but it is quite busy.They give out gifts for every holiday to the staff including a full Christmas dinner. They have benefits for full time staff and everyone gets a a free meal every shift. It’s a great place to work the only problem is that it is off the highway so it is hard to get to if you do not drive.

27 April 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience with Pilot Flying J, and we hope you will share your positive work experiences with others in need of employment.

Can be a fun workplace based on locatiob

Where I was working the location didn’t work out well but the staff and some management were wonderful. Customers are always great there and the job wasn’t too task heavy.

Don't work here if you respect yourself

The management and current corporate culture are incompetent and ineffective. The people can be interesting and fun to talk to, but it is heavily discouraged by management. The pay is low and the only opportunities for advancement come from sucking up to the boss or knowing someone in corporate. Would not recommend.

Pros

- Meet new people

Cons

- Poor management - Low pay - Few advancement opportunities

1 March 2022
We are sorry to hear your feedback on our culture, but appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We are a growth company and work towards improving culture across the board. We'd like to continue the conversation and discuss your comments further. Please reach out to pfjhr@pilottravelcenters.com.

Very supportive company but be prepared to work

Very good company to work for. Our regional manager is always available to answer questions when it can’t be answered in store. They have an true open door policy. Very process based work, but very rewarding as well. You see many people from all walks of life on an daily basis, so you must be an people person.Benefits are awesome and free lunch every day is an plus!.

Pros

Benefits, Free lunch, Open door policy

Cons

24/7 business, Some difficult people

12 November 2021
We appreciate the positive feedback and hope you’ve been able to grow with the company further. Don't hesitate to share other thoughts with us in the future.

Busy place to work

If you want to learn more in few time kindly join Flying J, you’ll learn a lot in a short period of time , you’ll be having free coffee and lunch everyday, you don’t have to stress yourself about lunch time, but be ready to work. You’ll have 2 breaks for 10 minutes paid by the company and one 30’ minutes meal not paid in place you’ll get free lunch

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Extremely busy

25 October 2021
We appreciate you expressing your concerns. Let's continue the conversation to see how we can improve. Please reach out to us at pfjhr@pilottravelcenters.com to discuss your comments further.

Great hours, wrong department

I asked for full time hours and the management has worked very well to make sure I get around that, however I applied for the maintenance department and they only schedule me to work as a Cashier. The reason I applied for maintenance is because it's the kind of work that DOESN'T make me want to blow my brains out.

Pros

Free Lunch ($10 worth), Great Hours

Cons

Last Minute Schedule Changes, Potential Suicidal Tendencies

Night shifts are interesting

Well there were a lot of safety issues to be concerned about for night shift as well as the women who solicited themselves for service to.the truckers. When brought to the attention of management, it was brushed off because they are customers.

Pros

Pay well

Cons

Ling hours, short breaks.

Very poor management

That store manager was not good at the job to begin with and now that corporate is owned by someone else thing there are 10 times worse. Good luck trying to get a day off or knowing when you are to be in next as your schedule can be changed with out notice the day you work.

Pros

Meet interesting people

Cons

Bad managers, little advancement, low pay, poor work culture

12 July 2021

They do not tell the truth

At the start, one gets promised a lot. Huge income, benefits from day one, etc...be aware, if it sounds unreal, it probably is. Dispatcher makes mistakes, supervisor provides no support and one lie follows the other. No work contract provided, that way they think they always win.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Fakes

10 March 2021
Thank you for sharing this with us, as this is a serious concern. Please reach out to pfjhr@pilottravelcenters.com so we can understand the issues surrounding this matter and work to resolve them.

Its a s*** show

One of the worst possible places to work . If you respect yourself, you'll trek elsewhere. They're always hiring for a reason . Don't waste your time . Bunch of fakes. Not a happy little family . You'll be a workhorse while everyone else goes on vacation . Favoritism at its finest.

Pros

50% off the deli food and cinnabon

Cons

Being treated like garbage by staff, managers, customers. Scheduling is absolutely terrible.

18 January 2021
We take claims like this seriously. Please reach out to pfjhr@pilottravelcenters.com so we can understand the issues surrounding this matter.

not a good place to work a lot of back stabbing lots of customer complaints lots of break downs very unorganized back stabbing snide remarks etc

Don't apply there unless its going to ve very short term. You will hate your job after a few months. No help from other cashiers nothing is done about it Always getting complaints no matter how hard you try.

Pros

no pros

Cons

You never know when you are going to have to work extra shifts

No way to get ahead

The work environment between coworkers was fraught with gossip and back biting, management did not support stafff and used veiled threats of termination upon every interaction when discussing work issues.Flying J consistently works new Canadians many more hours that 44 wk and doesn’t pay overtime or very little since they do not consider that working 9-10 days in a row as breaking labour rules because they pay weekly and therefore the 10 days is in two pay periods.They do not give sick days and vacation is needed to take time off if I’ll and you want to get paid.The work environment is generally negative and I do not recommend this organization to anyone.

Pros

Few

Cons

Favouritism, threats of termination is a norm, no discounts. Overtime’s is not followed under labour act.

Worse Company to Work For!

This place needs to be investigated by corporate. Plain and simple. They tell you that you can't be at work because of corporate policy then hold it against you and count it as not showing up for shifts. General Manager needs to be replaced

Benefits

Cons

Inconsistent Hours, Favoritism, Lack of Communication

26 August 2020

Never work here

Should be investigated. Plain & simple. Never seen or heard of so many employees going on stress leave! I had a former employee tell me before she went on stress leave “ This place will drag you down more then you know the longer you’re here” She was right!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pilot Flying J. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement