Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

Found 35 reviews matching the search See all 1,890 reviews
No proper management and less pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 May 2019
look for better work and forget it. You can easily find good job with high salary than this. No chance to get high position and they dont like to give you any require training and afraid to loose their position.
Pros
Free coffee with reusable cups.
Cons
work load
Poor scheduling and rude manager
Overnight Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB15 May 2019
My time here has been terrible. For initial training the manager would berate new employees in front of customers and shout over other staff members to be the "center of attention". In my time here we went from having close to 30 staff to down to 10 due to poor management. The schedule is supposed to be posted 1 week out you're lucky if you get the schedule the day before your shift. There is constant confusion about who is working when. Manager changes the schedule with no notice and wonders why her "scheduled staff" don't come in. People are now working 6 and 7 days a week up to 16 hours a day because of the poor scheduling. Overall not a place you want to work if you like being treated with respect and having a work life balance.
Cons
Scheduling, and managers
Do not recommend
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ayr, ON2 May 2019
I have worked here for over a year and I have been treated terribly for the last 7 months. I work night shift and the management does not care about this shift even though we have the most amount of work that has to be done with the least people. The manager does not listen when you tell him what you need for this shift to be run properly and for everything he expects to get done to actually get done. I have many regulars that only come here for me and I get told by the manager that I'm not doing a good job and customers are complaining about me. Except the things that he says I know for a fact are incorrect. There are only two of us willing to work this shift so if you're sick or have an emergency you basically can't call in. Or if something happens during your shift where you really need to leave you can't because no one is willing to come in.
Cons
Management, hours, salary.
Best Place to Work Hands Down
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON29 January 2019
I currently am employed at Pilot Flying J in Fort Erie. The GM is incredible. He puts his heart and soul into this location. He cares for his staff like family. He makes sure you get more than enough training to ensure you are comfortable. You have a great benefit package and can get RRSPs with a 60% match with the company. You feel appreciated there. It’s been a long time since I could actually say I love my job, and I really do. I don’t have a negative thing to say about the place. The management is great, your coworkers are great, and the shifts are great. Over all I don’t think I want to ever leave. It is a great place to feel like you are a part of a very large family.
Pros
Great GM and coworkers
Cons
None!
Terrible, terrible greedy company, corrupt managers.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 December 2018
Overworked and paid minimum wage. 37.5 hrs a week means the company has robbed you of two weeks of wages over a year. Cultural bias just ridiculous in their placing managers of zero experience, but deep connections at our location. Truckers treat you with contempt most of the time. co-workers are super awesome. Nothing gets fixed because that would cut into profits. Avoid like a pile of corpses dead of bubonic plague.
Pros
Co-workers, free coffee.
Cons
Terrible management, company is greed personified.
Store 801
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2018
I didn't think my experience working there was a positive thing. To much drama in proper management and lack of management. Staff were rude to others and found it very unprofessional. Worked there for a while and saw more than a few staff come and go with a lack of proper communication and interviewing skills most were hired on the spot no back ground checks. I found that to much negative people there was no proper customer service skills being offered which is sad. This is just my personal opinion from working for Pilot Flying J for over 2 years.
Pros
No pro
Cons
Non professional and negative feedback on daily basis
Family like co-workers, easy going and friendly.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON22 October 2018
I enjoyed working at FlyingJ because everyone i worked with was great they could balance their work and be around for me if i needed help. The management was caring and considerate, they would always be around if one needed assistance.
By far the best
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON3 August 2018
The Pilot Flying J is by far the best place I have ever worked. The staff is unbelievably friendly, hard working, and everybody does their part. As team members we all support one another, and help each other when we need it. The team leaders make you feel welcome as a staff member and really take the time to get to know you, and your work style. I have also learned a lot from working in the Pilot Flying J and continue to learn new things everyday. I highly recommend this company for work. My job is amazing :)
Pros
Team work, positive environment
Cons
Not any I can think of
Its a fine company to work for
Cashier/Deli Hand/ Shift Manage (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 May 2018
I have worked here for 3 years and i have learned a lot ! it is a fine company to work for. I am now just looking for something different to learn something new
Customer Service
Maintenance, Cashier, Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON17 April 2018
Standing for long periods,forgotten breaks,misstreatment of employees.Absolutely no benefits.Part time employment mostly. Need to have love oftalking.
Pros
talk to a lot of different kinds of people
Cons
standing for long periods
Productive workplace
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 April 2018
Company is not hard to work for, it's very simple and straightforward with policy.

The workplace is fun and enjoyable with the right co-workers.

No opportunity to move up unless you are willing to relocate.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No alternative shifts
Not a place to want to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hope, BC5 April 2018
Between the abuse from the customers and the abuse from some of the managers. It’s not worth your time getting paid $12 an hour or less to do. It’s like adult high school.
Fast-paced, team environment
Cashier/Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Hope, BC15 February 2018
I choose to refrain from going into details regarding my current employer and the events that have lead me to look for new employment.................
Pros
free coffee
Cons
too many managers
Great people great place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB5 February 2018
The work environment is amazing, the staff are great, upper management is wonderful. The regular customers are great to be in contact with! Overall great company to work for!! Highly recommend.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lack of pay
lazy people
Maintenance Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC27 April 2017
when i worked at the flying j their whole staff were a bunch of lazy good for nothing sit around employees , i had to change coffees & do other daily work always
Red Deer, this was the worst place I ever worked. This store was so mismanaged, starting from the manager.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta14 January 2017
My review is a big F, the 6-2 shift was pushy bossy old ladies. The 2-10 shift is a teenager, except the shift manager, and all they did was run around,
Played footballs with the cups, and left the store a absolute pigpen. The manager was told about it, but did nothing to stop it, and in turn I got fired for telling him what was going on. The place was a pig sty, shelves looked like they had never been cleaned
Pros
Not one thing
Cons
Everything the minute u walk in the door. RUN, don't WALK the other way
Good People, Okay Wages
Guest Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Nanton, AB19 December 2016
Great environment, I enjoy my coworkers' company very much, but you are not recognized for the work you do, and the chance of advancement is quite low. But there are lots of hours and it is a very fun place to work. The once a week pay and benefits are fantastic.
Good place to work tons of opportunity for advancement
Guest sevice leader Cashier (Current Employee) –  London/Tilbury19 November 2016
Good place to work. Just want something closer to home. Have been with the company a long time.Lots of opportunity for advancement if you are so inclined.Management open to suggestions
Beware of this company
Staff (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 October 2016
I worked for this company and worked hard long hours little pay and was treated with such disrespect from the tcgm and the regional manager it made me feel bad about myself and finally just wore me out! Not a peoples company they are just about the money!
Pros
it paid some bills
Cons
everything else
great team bad management
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Annacis, BC2 September 2016
lots of tasks to do but everything is relatively easy to complete
the only problem is low wages lots of staff turnover and little investment from corporate to make changes in these areas
Pros
easy job
Cons
low wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pilot Flying J. Our community is ready to answer.