Pilar's Catering Employee Reviews

great experience
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON3 September 2019
Great job to obtain customer service skills. I learned how to have confidence in speaking to the wedding guests and serving them the right food. my favourite part about the job was interacting with the guests.
Great food and service
Bartender/Leader (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON30 October 2018
I love working for this company. We always have great comments about the food and service provided. She treats fare her employees and is being a great pleasure to work for this company.
Pros
free amazing food
Friendly work place, room to grow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 March 2018
I worked at Pilar’s for a few years...and completely enjoyed it. The staff is friendly and so is her family. If you want to grow and learn more within the company, Pilar is more than willing to teach you. The atmosphere is pleasant and each day is filled with new stuff. If you want to be busy and have the work day fly by pleasantly fast, then you’ll enjoy working here. There is plenty to do and learn.
Pros
Interesting, friendly, room to grow
Cons
If there’s big events happening, it can be a long day on your feet, but you’ll sleep well after such a productive day.
Fun place to work and a great company to have catering your event!
Employee/Customer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 December 2017
I've been lucky enough to experience Pilar's Catering as an employee and a customer. I spent almost 5 years of my life working at Pilar's Catering and although it can be a stressful job, it is most certainly rewarding! I started out long ago when it was a café and then she grew into the Catering side of things where I was a floor leader, opening and closing some big events. There's always room to grow and new experiences to be had! Definitely a fun environment but can also be strict sometimes but that's to be expected to ensure a fantastic experience from kitchen to table.

Like I mentioned, I've also been a customer many times over the years. I've had friends use Pilar for their weddings, baby showers, and other special occasions. The food is always amazing, the service is wonderful, and overall just a fantastic experience. I 100% refer everyone I know to Pilar's Catering. I also practice what I preach, although I haven't worker at Pilar's in many years now, I continue to stay in touch with her and hire her company for all my catering needs. Most recently, Pilar has agreed to help out the Not for Profit Agency I work for in order for the clients to have an amazing Christmas!

Thanks for everything you do Pilar!
really good food
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 July 2017
They are extremely unprofessional and are late with payments. I never got paid until 2 weeks after I was supposed to and the manager lost my direct deposit slip.
Perfect summer job
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 March 2017
I worked here last summer and can't wait to work here again this summer. Always different things as it's mostly weddings and they're all a little different. They provided training for serving and if you have smart serve you can be trained on bar. Weekly pay, was always on time as it's now direct deposit. Overall I enjoy working with the other staff and managers every weekend. They're also usually pretty good when you ask for time off and working around your schedule
Pros
Free meal, outside
Cons
Long hours, sometimes hectic
Good food and fun environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 February 2017
Management was a little unprofessional but that wasn't always a bad thing. They almost felt like friends and not bosses. Also it was amazing food you get to eat and fun doing events like weddings.
Cons
Don't think it paid enough for the work you have to do
Did not pay for hours worked
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 November 2016
If you get called in for a position with this catering company I urge you to rethink it before going in for a shift.

I worked there for 2 weeks and there was no specific schedule or anything just a person on the other end of the phone telling me what time to come in for.

After not receiving any payment I took it upon myself to ask what was going on.

Once I started asking questions I was not offered any more shifts nor was I offered a position.

I then spent 2-3 weeks chasing them down for the money they owed me. Another person who I know personally also got hired there and worked for 4 weeks without pay and ended up just leaving without being payed. They will NOT pay you if you do not spend hours chasing them around and literally having to go in there to fetch the money they owe you.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No Pay, Disorganized
Awful place to work
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 August 2016
I was fired due to a pre stated medical condition after being yelled at. To get my final pay was a hassle as they never respond to any form of communication. Great place to work as long as you are the bosses favourite. Everyone else is treated like slaves and yelled at constantly. Would not recommend to anyone
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Ever day of work
a lot of work
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 July 2015
a typical day would be prepping for the functions in the morning t noon start packing to leave for the destination, when we get there, there is usually something wrong. no ovens, no work space, no water incompetant wait staff, bad kitchen conditions etc. regardless of these problems, you must complete everything on time and it must be done close to perfectly or you will be chewed out by the management.
Busy but very fun job
Server (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario3 March 2015
I've worked here for a while now and have seen a lot of different things go on but the management is great now, always look forward to my shifts and working with my coworkers. Love that I don't have to bring a full lunch with me because you get a meal each shift. Always something different with the weddings and you learn a lot about the catering and wedding world. Sometimes it can be long hours but it usually goes by fast with the how fast paced dinner service is and I like that I can get full time hours in a couple of days instead of small 3-4 hour shifts over everyday and getting paid part time. Pay is really easy too with e-transfers every week, don't have to deal with cheque deposits. Overall a good place to work
Pros
Get a meal during each shift, fun people to work with, always something new and exciting
Cons
Long Hours, Outdoors
busy but very fun job
server (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario3 March 2015
I've been working here as a server for a while and seen a lot of different things go on but management is great now, always fun to work with, positive environment, pay is really easy through e-transfers so you don't have to deal with cheques and deposits. Get paid weekly and always get a meal during your shift(which is delicious). Overall you learn a lot about the catering and wedding business and have fun while doing it. Also love that you can get full time hours in a couple of days during the summer!
Pros
Free meal each shift, full time hours in a couple of days, minimum wage instead of servers wage
Cons
Long Hours
Very Enjoyable place to work
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa3 March 2015
I have been here for 2 months and I enjoy my job very much. I get paid on time (done by etransfers), the hours are great. I enjoy working with everybody, everyone gets along very well. We do get free lunch everyday and its always delicious!! I am very happy to be on such a great team!!
Free catered lunches
Catering Assistant/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 December 2014
Mondays-Wednesdays were the busiest days as there was major cleaning up, restocking from the weekend weddings and checking inventory for remaining stock.

I learned to keep busy to avoid being yelled at.

Management changed like the weather.

Co-workers were fine if they did what they were told. There was some clowning around which resulted in my nearly losing an eye twice.

The hardest part of the job was hoping paychecks would clear on time/not go NSF. Tolerating one of the manager's ongoing rants while we were working/on lunch was rough emotionally too

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to leave early on some days.
Pros
Free catered lunches
Cons
Being yelled at, paychecks not being on time/going NSF.
Do not work here
Choose not to say (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario2 November 2014
Your paycheques bounce on a regular basis. Once you've left the company, its impossible to get your last paycheque. Disrespect for staff. Constant yelling a staff in open areas of the office. Constant critisim. BASICALLY, IF YOU ARE SMART YOU WON'T WORK HERE.
Cons
Underpaid, over worked, slave labour.
Server, cleaner, bs taker. (Current Employee) –  Everywhere from Toronto to Newcastle18 March 2014
ANYONE LOOKING TO WORK HERE BEWARE!
Don't buy stuff to work there because you wont last..

Packing for events because it was never done
Loading vans very tightly
Driving to place
Set up well the managers watch you and complain about everything they don't speak nicely to you
Event serving.. Mostly with new staff who have no clue what they are doing because the owner is too cheap to train anyone.
I feel that this company as any other company should have training.. They should have a list of tasks you have to do or something and be a little more organized maybe if they knew what they were doing and if they went over everything themselves they wouldn't have to yell at the staff for them being so unorganized!
Most events something is missing so they yell at everyone and send someone to the store to get it they will send you without money and not give proper detail of what they need!!

Overall this company is very unorganized, they fire everyone for no reason... I don't think anyone has been there for more then 8 months and they disrespect the staff..
Pros
Meeting new people(some staff)
Cons
Long hours, disrespected, no positive comments from managers
Not like any place I've ever worked before
Cater Waiter (Current Employee) –  Whitby, Ont24 October 2013
Kindof a crazy place to work. They'll hire anyone with restaurant experience and can carry 3 plates. Employee turn over is very high so they don't bother with training anyone but team leaders. The 2 managers are horrible to work with, they are always frustrated and yelling at the girls for doing things wrong or not doing them fast enough. At least they usually leave early so we get a few hours of peace at the end of the night.

Most of the team leaders have been there a while and they are pretty good to work with. They never make you do anything that they wouldn't do themselves (unlike the managers who treat some of the girls like slave labour) The cooks are really cool too when the chef isn't around.

Expect 8-12 hour shifts, every Friday and Saturday. You will NOT get a social life. Don't even think about booking a weekend off. If you call in sick (even with a note) they will usually fire you on the spot. No second chances...

Also, they tell u in the interview that you can car pool with the other girls or ride in the van. This is a joke! You better have a reliable car and be willing to put a lot of miles on it!

The food is good, you usually get as much free stuff a you can eat once the cooks and managers are done with it. Only problem is, they let you make a plate then put it on the side and go back to cleaning. By the time you actually get permission to eat its usually hours later and at least 10 hours into your shift, and don't even think about sneaking a few bites! She WILL catch you and yell at you in front of everyone (even if she's already had 9 tacos herself!)
Pros
Free food
Cons
The way they treat you
A Shitshow
Kitchen Donkey (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario, Canada18 January 2013
This employer has no respect for their employees, their families, or ultimately themselves. They have shady business ethics and no morals. Most importantly, they serve below par food and don't care about their customers. They will do anything for money, and anything to screw you out of yours. The people who run it are terrible and immoral.
Pros
leaving
Cons
being employed there
Amazing co-workers and fun working
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 July 2012
A typical day at work:

Getting things ready for the day at the shop, travelling to where the event is held, set up for events, wedding etc., serving hors d'oeuvres, serving appetizers, main dishes and deserts, clean up, putting away the dishes and bring it back to the shop.

Every co-worker I came into contact with was amazing and extremely nice.
Pros
free meals