Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Management reviews

Canada147 reviews
Pier 1 was a wonderful atmosphere where; if you were interested in growing and learning- the management team backed you up. The store teams were like a family and the customers were more often than not -really happy to be in the store taking in all the sights and smells. A working experience I will treasure.
Over worked under paid
Very heavy lifting, no PPE at all

Always under a microscope being watched by the DM via cameras

Terrible culture of intimidation
This has been one of my favourite places I have ever worked. As soon as I started working for Pier 1, I felt like I had just joined a new family. The management really does care about their employees and the other staff are all respectful and delightful. The customers are generally friendly and you get to spend a lot of time helping them and finding what they need for them. It is a relaxing and enjoyable environment . The hardest part of the job would be learning all of the fine details on the furniture that arrives. The most enjoyable would be the time you get to spend with the customers.
Culture excellent. Management was helpful and made employees feel valued. Long hours on your feet on concrete floor. Overall lovely place to work. Enjoyed the challenge and working with other employees.
A great place to work if you are not looking to advance .
Should be paid more

Environment was always positive

Management was amazing to work with.
Can be very demanding at certain times of the year.
If the store wasn't closing I would continue to be a part time employee! The management was qualified, helpful in all situations, respectful and a team player.
Products and corporate management is great. Middle management is weak and ineffective. Pay is horrible. Negligible perks. No proper coaching. Weak team meeting events.
They expect the moon and give nothing in return. I sold extremely well so was booked with very few days off, whereas other employees were begging for hours. Burned me out, and for what?
Very terrible company to work for. The management is very indecisive and scheduling is the worst I have ever experienced in all my years in retail.
They don't pay well and I can assure you, the hours are very terrible.

The company doesn't seem to have a great future.
Started working at Pier One as a part time job, when my kids were little. It was nice to be encouraged to give your availability and work when you can. The training is extensive, customer service oriented. Excellent training to take with you to any service position with the public. Co workers were awesome. Management also very good. Raises just kept slightly above the rising minimum wage, not great pay overall.
Both staff and management are very understand towards work and life balance. Make sure for holiday season you submit your time off in advance. Great people to work with as well.
fun workplace with great people to work with. nights were slow but days were quick paced and mostly all customers were kind and fun to help. each customer also had a unique style which was fun to play around with.
Pros
snacks
Cons
poor management
The people that I work with at Pier 1 are amazing. The management is seriously lacking in their perspective skill sets. Due to the length of tenure of the Store manager and Asst manager their is no real drive to grow new leaders for Pier 1. Their is a lot of favoritism and lack of accountability. They both are just "doing the job"
Pros
great people
Cons
lacking personal growth
Working at Pier 1 was such a fun experience! Management was amazing, and always offered support when needed. The company itself its amazing, and they really do care about their employees. We would always get new t shirts for promotional events, gift cards for staff appreciation day, and on occasion were sent goodies for the entire team to enjoy. It made me feel appreciative of my role. Definitely a good part time job to make a little extra cash.
Pros
Supportive team/management, positive work environment, staff perks
Cons
retail, minimum wage
Can be a good place to work depending on your personality. However, the possibility of clashing personalities or stressed management is there.

I would recommend as a second job or for someone looking to get out of the house a few days a week. I would not recommend this as a sole job if you are relying on it paying the bills as it may not help.
good Company to work for, physically a lot of work if you are in management as you must move lots of furniture. But they care about their staff. I worked at two locations in Canada and enjoyed them both.
Things have looked up since the interim CEO joined in December. She has great ideas and is bringing us back to Pier 1's roots in terms of products and management style.

There is no typical day at Pier1. Focus is customer first and merchant mentality for all levels.
Pros
coworkers are great, employee discount
Cons
no work life balance, lots of work for low pay, cannot socialize with fellow employees who are at different levels
I was very excited to start working. However, the bosses were rude and never encouraging. They got mad at you for not getting rewards member sign ups every minute and shoved corporate commercial garbage down your throat every second. I got yelled at for the simplest mistakes or things I did not know yet, we were not even allowed to cross our arms if we were cold in the store. Very competitive place to work as other coworkers will get more sign ups than you and be better at dealing with customers than you and the bosses will be nicer to them. If the boss doesn't like you they will not even give you tasks to do. Coworkers and managers act like you should know everything about the store even when you first start working. I am definitely disappointed.
Pros
Sometimes, rarely, free gifts that were damaged or non sell-able
Cons
You feel like a failure by the bosses and they are always watching over you
Everyone that I have met is extremely friendly. Everyone is more than willing to help out. A fun environment. Good management and easy to talk to. Best job I have had so far.
I worked at Pier 1 for just under 4 years. I was transferred between three stores due to relocation for schooling. Each management technique was different but very enjoyable to work with. When I joined the management team in Ottawa, ON 2017, It allowed me to gain experience with helping managing a team, focus on daily goals, and be a leader for the sales associates on the floor as well as learn the different ways and techniques the associates used to sell our product to customers.
Pros
Great team, fun environment
Cons
Hours available
I worked at two Pier One locations, Ottawa and Ajax. While I found both locations very different in terms of work culture, it is a decent place to work, especially if you're a student.

In Ottawa, there were many difficulties with management as we underwent frequent managerial changes. So the direction top-down was not the greatest. The more tenured associate managers did help a lot to balance out the constant changes.

Also, there were no 15-minute breaks in an 8-hour shift. This is found very peculiar.
Pros
Pier One swag
Cons
Long hours, lack of flexibility
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pier 1 Imports. Our community is ready to answer.