Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews

Found 115 reviews matching the search See all 2,493 reviews
Productive Workplace and Fair Wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  British Columbia10 June 2019
The managers and supervisors make great team leaders to encourage workers to help the customer feel comfortable for their shopping experiences and everyone helps one another if someone needs help for a task.
Pros
Perfect hours to balance work and school life
a great job
Customer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2019
it's great job for students since the hours are flexible. You will encounter a very difficult customer here and there but overall, great people. Being able to up-sell will be valuable to you.
Pros
25% discounts
Great Part Time Job!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 June 2019
Working at Pier 1 was such a fun experience! Management was amazing, and always offered support when needed. The company itself its amazing, and they really do care about their employees. We would always get new t shirts for promotional events, gift cards for staff appreciation day, and on occasion were sent goodies for the entire team to enjoy. It made me feel appreciative of my role. Definitely a good part time job to make a little extra cash.
Pros
Supportive team/management, positive work environment, staff perks
Cons
retail, minimum wage
great co-workers and day to day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 April 2019
prepare the new product for the sales floor, maintain a storefront, assist customers with questions and recommendations.

the work environment is relaxed unless sales targets are not reached

sales bonuses are given to managers only
Pros
employee discount
Cons
overworked, skimpy wages, old school business plan
Good company
Full Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 April 2019
good Company to work for, physically a lot of work if you are in management as you must move lots of furniture. But they care about their staff. I worked at two locations in Canada and enjoyed them both.
Great environment to work in
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 April 2019
I loved being able to grow creatively and within the company. Pier 1 Imports provided an amazing team atmosphere where we supported one another. Thankful for all the growth opportunities!
associates are wonderful to work with
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2019
Things have looked up since the interim CEO joined in December. She has great ideas and is bringing us back to Pier 1's roots in terms of products and management style.

There is no typical day at Pier1. Focus is customer first and merchant mentality for all levels.
Pros
coworkers are great, employee discount
Cons
no work life balance, lots of work for low pay, cannot socialize with fellow employees who are at different levels
Love the associates!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK29 January 2019
Great workplace if looking for somewhere part time. The customers are great, and the associates are even better! You are always busy doing something, and there is never a dull moment
Fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 January 2019
Learned a lot about customer service, workplace culture generally fun, most enjoyable part of the job was getting to help customers furnish and decorate their home.
Poor management, very cliquey, treated like a child
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 November 2018
Manager and assistant manager are horrible to work under. Even when you are producing sales and good customer service they have something to say. Managers on duty are little puppets that don't do much but micro manage everyone. Nice clientele and good products but highly overpriced. Lot of lifting and climbing 8 foot ladders to retrieve chairs etc. All managers seem to have some type of dis stain for part time employees. Obviously no managerial training with this company.
Mediocre
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2018
I was very excited to start working. However, the bosses were rude and never encouraging. They got mad at you for not getting rewards member sign ups every minute and shoved corporate commercial garbage down your throat every second. I got yelled at for the simplest mistakes or things I did not know yet, we were not even allowed to cross our arms if we were cold in the store. Very competitive place to work as other coworkers will get more sign ups than you and be better at dealing with customers than you and the bosses will be nicer to them. If the boss doesn't like you they will not even give you tasks to do. Coworkers and managers act like you should know everything about the store even when you first start working. I am definitely disappointed.
Pros
Sometimes, rarely, free gifts that were damaged or non sell-able
Cons
You feel like a failure by the bosses and they are always watching over you
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 November 2018
Everyone that I have met is extremely friendly. Everyone is more than willing to help out. A fun environment. Good management and easy to talk to. Best job I have had so far.
Great environment for retail experience
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa ON25 October 2018
I worked at Pier 1 for just under 4 years. I was transferred between three stores due to relocation for schooling. Each management technique was different but very enjoyable to work with. When I joined the management team in Ottawa, ON 2017, It allowed me to gain experience with helping managing a team, focus on daily goals, and be a leader for the sales associates on the floor as well as learn the different ways and techniques the associates used to sell our product to customers.
Pros
Great team, fun environment
Cons
Hours available
Decent Part Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON9 October 2018
I worked at two Pier One locations, Ottawa and Ajax. While I found both locations very different in terms of work culture, it is a decent place to work, especially if you're a student.

In Ottawa, there were many difficulties with management as we underwent frequent managerial changes. So the direction top-down was not the greatest. The more tenured associate managers did help a lot to balance out the constant changes.

Also, there were no 15-minute breaks in an 8-hour shift. This is found very peculiar.
Pros
Pier One swag
Cons
Long hours, lack of flexibility
fun place to work with cute decor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2018
was a cashier, stocked shelves and help with customer inquires, I loved working with a happy and energetic crew. It is a home goods store with many amazing finds
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 September 2018
Pier one imports is a fantastic place to work. People are super friendly and it creates a fun work environment. Hours are flexible which is great as a second job or while you are going to school.
Great if you love decorating no full time hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB27 August 2018
The management played favourites and there was no opportunity for full time hours unless you are a sales leader. The pay is terrible xo sideri g all the work you are expected to do. The store was often empty which was extremely boring
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Pier 1 Imports
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2018
The staff were great and I did enjoy working with them. However the hours were bad. I was hired at part time which was 20 hours for two weeks but when I left I was getting 4 hours a week.
Pros
bosses were good and I loved my coworkers
Cons
not enough hours, could not get EI
Great laid back place to work if you enjoy interior design
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 August 2018
My typical day included customer service, ordering of household items, and building furniture/displays. They help teach you great customer interaction, sales techniques, and organizational skills. I found the workplace to be very safe and enjoyable.
Productive and challenging place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 July 2018
It was fun and productive place to work. I liked the challenge and working with people. Every day was different, every task was different which I enjoyed.
Pros
Hours
Cons
people interaction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pier 1 Imports. Our community is ready to answer.