Photos Unlimited Employee Reviews

Sales Associate/Photographer/Scam Artist
Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
I worked here a while ago and I still get anxiety every time I walk into a Walmart. It was honestly one of the most stressful and humiliating experiences of my life. Management expects you to squeeze money out of every single person who walks in, but will leave you high and dry when the customer is unsatisfied with their product. And trust me, the customers will be unsatisfied. While I worked there, I had a customer literally kick over a table when I tried to sell them a on-location photography package, featuring "photographers" who literally don't know what they're doing.

If you're a current or aspiring photographer that thinks this will be a fun and easy job, I promise you that you're wrong. I have +10 years experience in portrait photography and this job was an absolute joke. It is not worth sacrificing your health over. Do yourself a favor, work literally anywhere else!
Pros
An hour long break to spend crying in the back room.
Cons
Absolutely everything.
Avoid at all costs
Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 April 2019
Professionals should not have to degrade and humilate themselfs by harassing Walmart customers...I actually cant belive they allow this .
They litterly rely on you going into Walmart and physically bringing customers back .by being pushy demanding and lying. They expect people to drop there carts and follow you .. they hire people with no photography experince give them 3 days training then call them "professionals" there's no amount of money they could pay me to do this job ..they should hire marketing teams not degrade there employees like circus animals...
Give this place a 8 out of 10
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB31 March 2019
I loved working for this company. I was really sad to leave. Only reason for leaving was I was able to get 40 plus hours a week else where. Very fun and challenging place to work and push your personal growth
Pros
Watching people smile about pictures i took
Cons
Not able to get 40 hours a qeek
Too many duties, bad management, only care about getting money
Sales Associate & Photographer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 March 2019
Had way too many duties to fulfil at once. I was doing exactly what the manager was doing but getting paid way less for it... The training is a joke, you just get stacks of papers to read but don't really get much practical training done. I love photography so I thought this would be perfect for me but they don't know a thing about real photography, it's actually an insult to true photographers.

And unless you have an ALWAYS selling attitude, as in 24/7, as in even when customers directly decline you still have to keep selling, then this isn't the job for you..
Cons
Too many duties
Fun enviroment
PT photographer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 March 2019
Love the fact the company does on location photography. Single coverage environment but customers made it fun to convert into sessions. Cool incentives to congratulate staff.
Great work environment
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 March 2019
The staff is great, all artistic in their own ways, the clients are almost always very easy to work with.
The company has guidelines but allows you to use your own creative ideas in the camera room, they even encourage you to do so. If you are an artist it’s a great place to work!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
More detailed training prior to first solo shift could improve
Awful place to work.
Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 March 2019
Management constantly looks down on you, and makes you feel bad about your sales when sometimes it is out of your hands. Management does not care about the employees at all. I was not trained properly, and I would not recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
you got paid.
Cons
everything else.
Drama, bullying, wont receive final pay
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  BC22 February 2019
Worst company I have ever worked for. Very unprofessional upper management. The DM in our district was an absolute bully who couldn't say anything nice if you paid her too. Every person I know who has quit or was fired had to fight for their final pay check. I have been waiting for weeks for my final pay, even after being terminated 3 weeks ago. The company's payroll is based in the US and has no regard for canadian labor standards and laws.
Constant favoritism and lies, no security. Just dont waiste your time for the bad pay and bad benefits.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Every single thing about the company.
My shortest job ever
Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 February 2019
Worked at the location at Scarborough Town Center (within Walmart)

- Very little training was provided but I was expected to know EVERYTHING by the end of my 20 minute training

- Manager got irritated and cut my shifts for calling him to ask questions related to things he never taught me

- 1 person is responsible for walk ins, photoshoots, cashing, bringing in customers, restocking, depositing money, etc

- You have to be a lapdog for your manager to be on his good side

- Customers can get extremely rude even though they see you running around

Overall, this job was way too stressful for the amount of work and effort that was required
Pros
Gave me 20 cents above minimum wage
Cons
Basically Everything
Overall Fun
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 January 2019
Working at Photos Unlimited a fun environment filled with children, families, and aspiring models waiting to have some beautiful moments captured. Taking photos was only part of the job, client management, tech help and maintaining the studio was also part of the overall great package.
Pros
Getting a full hour break per day.
Cons
Having to work past closing unexpectedly.
Pas bien géré
Photographe (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2019
Parfait pour travail étudiant.

Après plusieurs années (5) à travailler auprès de la compagnie, je n'ai reçu que 1 $ d'augmentation de salaire.

La garanti d'heures n'est pas respectée. Tu dois constemment te battre pour avoir des heures. Un temps plein ne serait que 20 hrs pour eux et temps partiel 0 à 3hrs heures semaine.

Les grands boss mettent constemment de la pression aux employés pour faire des grosses ventes tout en laissant tomber la qualité de la photo et de l'impression.

La compagnie est mal gérée et les prix montent conatemment en flèche pour profiter des situations (ex des photos passeport avec prix exorbitants)

Durant les temps des fêtes tu n'as souvent pas le temps de prendre de diner et jamais la compagnie a voulu payé 30 minutes de plus comme le veut les normes parce qu'ils considèrent quentu peux decortiquer ton 30 minutes en dedans de 9 hrs de travail.

L'équipe est par contre le fun et on s'encourageait entre nous mêmes pour en faire une expérience plaisante pour les clients.
Pros
L'équipe
Cons
Administration, horaire, salaire, pression
Do not apply here
Photographer/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2019
My managers were fine, its more so the company thats utter garbage. You're hired as a sales associate/photographer but the company expects you to be a mini manager yourself.

I don't know about you but you're better off learning how to take photos on your own with a book rather than here. If you don't work at Shawnessy or Westbrook, be prepared to be alone all day to deal with (mostly) entitled and rude people who will likely yell or cause a fuss over anything. You can't justify this places passport photo prices.

I can go on but to sum up, most of the people ive worked with are great and fun to be around. The company itself doesnt care about you, you are a number and thats it.

If you like getting yelled at about things out of your control, love to deal with angry and entitled people half the time someone walks in your door or like to be treated like a number machine for minimum wage, this is the job for you!

I recommend you try to apply anywhere else but here.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Basically everything else
0 stars is more practical
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON15 January 2019
If you're a photographer this might be a good first job if you're just learning. You could do less work by being a walmart cashier and get paid more. They want experience but are unwilling to pay for it and then wonder why people leave the company within the first week.
You're expected to go push packages when it's slow.
you're expected to have a car and be able to travel in between studios.
You're expected to use your own equipment for on location photography but don't compensate accordingly
Manager/Photographer
Manager/Photographer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2019
What I am getting from the job is photographing people and groups. I was a architecture/cityscape photographer and thought I would broaden my skills working for Photos Unlimited.
Pros
Broadening my skills as a people photographer
Cons
How the company wants to attract clientelle
Good
Assistante gérante (Former Employee) –  Atholville, NB8 January 2019
Enjoyable work, lack of hours to hire employees
Clients were nice to work with. clean environment.
friendly staff, material was easy to learn, flexible hours.
Fun only when msnagers are not there
Photographer, Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 December 2018
They need a major structure in management and they need to not hire anyone that comes along. I watched girls who hated kids work there. 1 manager should oversee all studios to keep consistency, every manager thinks they own the studio and can do whatever they want, including sitting on their butt.
Pros
Kids and photography are my favorite thing
Cons
I worked 7 days a week, traveled w/no extra money and no overtime
fun working with families to create new memories
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON27 December 2018
Always fun to create new images for those special moments in the families and children's lives.
Treated every customer with respect and photographed the portraits to the way I would have wanted as a customer.
Prices were decent when I was there
Management was not great, no support always had to contact other locations for the info needed.
Pay was not very good for being a manager of the studios.
Pros
fun with the kids and creating great images
Cons
low pay, bad management
Fun job but...
Photographer/Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON20 December 2018
As much as I enjoyed the job, I realised that I am just a number to management and that they don't really care about us as people. This made it hard to be as aggressive as I needed to be to sell the products, as there was little incentive.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
No raises and limited hours available
Unrealistic Sales Goals, Inadequate Training, BORING
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON10 December 2018
I started working there because I loved photography but photography is only like 1% of your job. It's all about sales. So if you enjoy walking around Walmart to harass people to take photos or buy packages, standing in the front doors to hand out flyers, and tricking customers into paying extra for things they don't want: this job is for you. I only worked once or twice a week and constantly had people coming back because their passport photos were rejected or their order was missing things or the photos turned out horrible. Had to re-do multiple sessions that my coworkers did because I was the only person who knew how to use a camera properly. On the days where no photo sessions are booked, you have to go out and find bookings or you get in trouble. Had days where we'd only make like $50 on passport photos and I'd get an angry call from the manager later that night. Oh and also - my area had a group chat where the people from other stores would share their ways to scam customers into paying extra fees that didn't even exist so they could crush sales targets. Gross.
Pros
Get to work by yourself, Decent hours
Cons
Scams, Bad Management, Bad Training, Boring, Bad ethics
Happy Halloween (Horrible Place to Work).
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2018
Rough behaviour.
Discrimination.
No training provides properly.
Stay away from this job.
Bad experience.
Unhealthy environment.
Unrealistic target givens.
If you are Superman then join.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Photos Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5