Photos Unlimited Employee Reviews

Applying to this listing is absolutely the worst thing you can do to yourself.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON22 October 2018
The lowest point of my life was working for these ungrateful, unprofessional, scamming con artists they call a "portrait studio". You are demanded to squeeze money out of the poor customers pockets... persistently offering different "packages" that no one in their right mind would buy. All while using outdated camera equipment, flashes that literally electrocute you, props and backdrops that look like they're straight from the go-go 80's, and editing on a ghetto software system that shuts down on you every so often. You are forced to walk around the Walmart and bombard people with "free photoshoots" that end up being not-so-free because you corner them into buying packages. The managers know nothing at all about what they're doing and seem to be on a different page about how to present your pitch and sell your terrible quality photos. They charge an unreasonable amount of money for passport photos and you end up having to lie about how much cheaper they are at your local Costco just to make a sale. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. At the end of every two weeks or so you are rated (either poorly or well) by how much you sell and everyone that works for the company sees the list. If you want to feel humiliated, depressed, under appreciated, and worthless, this is the company for you!

One last hurrah before I go... I tried to book time off 3 MONTHS IN ADVANCE and the manager told me I couldn't. The prison system is literally denied less freedoms.
Pros
You feel like you've travelled back in time
Had to give 1 star because I couldn't give none
Photographer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 October 2018
Photos Unlimited is a terrible place to work. Everything is way overpriced. Management is atrocious. If they talk to you they talk down to you. Only contact with HR is an email contact and they do not answer emails from personal emails. They punish staff by taking away their hours. Their opinion is that you will work harder to get the hours back. Software , studio and camera are out of date. You are not appreciated by management, to them you are easily replaced. Job is not about photography it is all about sales. You are nothing more than a telemarketer
Pros
Hour long lunch
Cons
No proper break times, work alone all the time, little training, poorly treated, over priced, they push you to push sales, you are a telemarketer
Fun and skill building
Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham Ontario29 September 2018
I enjoy working with Photosunlimited. I think the struggle with most people these days is people just want a job for the pay check not to actually work. Work ethic is far and few between. People complain just at the mirror fact the have to put in some hard work.
If you put in what you want to get out out of the company there is lots of support. Friendly contests and prizes.
Additional training is provided if you ask for it in a resonable amount of course.
Hours are pretty flexable, pay is on the lower end but there is ways to earn bonus and incentive at all times which makes up for that.
Yes packages change and prices change a couple times a year to keep up with the times. But details are posted on studio site for review.
In my opinion their packages are a great value and you get alot for the prize your paying.

Overall I love working for Photosunlimited some minor improvemts needed but thats in any company.
Pros
team building, great staff, good incentives
Cons
tec issues
Enjoyed working there
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 September 2018
I never thought I would ever be hired as a photographer, as I had only taken photos of nature before. They taught me how to Photograph people, and how to use my imagination to get the best photos. I enjoyed my job immensely, and literally looked forward to coming to work each day. I really enjoyed the clients, and watching their children grow up before my eyes. I worked the shifts by myself, and had to learn all aspects of the studio as a result. I would go back in a minute if I could get full time hours.
Pros
Great variety of Clientelle.
Cons
Would be nice to have more opportunities to advance in the company.
Toxic
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan2 September 2018
Our store went through a period of being unable to keep a manager, which left me at the store 6 days a week. Their managers don't even know how to train. I was constantly having to show them how to operate the equipment. All they were ever taught to do was to go into Walmart and hassle people to come in for a photo shoot. They weren't even told HOW to photo shoot! Training manager did it instead and then expected new employees/manager to know how afterwards. I had to teach them to use the Passport camera and how to print. They never give a raise..I was stuck at minimum for 3 years, even after doing my best to help keep the store running with no manager or employees to help. When they finally did get a manager, they cut my hours down to 6 hours a week, even though they had asked me what I wanted to work. They avoid talking to you if you've got a problem of any kind. They constantly criticize even if you are hitting numbers. They don't care about you..they care about money. The props and backgrounds are over 20 years old! No replacements. Overall, this became an extremely toxic place to work.
Pros
Fun working with clients
Cons
Everything else
Full days
Photographer/Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON27 August 2018
Those who work here are to work the full day all by themselves. This is important since you will have no co-workers or persons to help you during the day in person. Therfore, you must work efficently, independently, and solve problems quickly. It is extremly important to be respectful and patient with all costomers.
Cons
No microwave for lunch
This place is literally the worst.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 August 2018
Just don't do it.

Read all the reviews if you want to know why.. 113 other lovely people have done all the explaining for me.

The company is going under, the organization is non-existant, the work environment is despicable and the management is clueless.
Pros
Cons
Literally Everything.
Fun place to Co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Hanover, ON12 August 2018
Great for co-op! you can do almost every single part of the job. Great for learning basic composition skills and poses as well as basic studio set up.
No self-respecting photographer should work for this company
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
I am a photographer outside of working for this company, and there is no way this company should be calling themselves professional photographers.
To start off, training wasn't thorough, and I was left to figure things out on my own. My manager would tell me to do things in front of a customer without showing me how first, and just expecting me to know, which was sometimes very embarrassing and demeaning. The company also hires people with absolutely no photography experience, and barely gives them any training.
After training you are left to work alone every day, and that's where things really start going downhill. If I had a problem, I was told to text or call my manager. Usually she wouldn't answer my texts at all, and when I called, she was always very annoyed. Every single day I went in something wasn't working (cameras, printers, computer systems, and sometimes the whole store would be down). The equipment is outdated, worn out, and dirty. The "professional" photo shoot camera (canon 40D, no where near professional quality these days) was practically a dinosaur and barely worked. The lens was old and very stiff, which made it impossible to get the camera to focus during shoots, and I complained to my manager several times. When a customer finally complained to my manager, I got a nasty note from the manager, saying there's nothing wrong with the camera, and I was doing it wrong. Again, I am a photographer, and know my way around a camera... The backdrops and props were very dirty and wrinkled, and we were expected to put newborn babies on these items, which I found
  more... very unsanitary. The software used to upload and sell photos increased the exposure on photos, causing many pictures to be over-exposed, especially baby pictures, and the "editing" options were outdated and poor quality. Many customers complained about this. The photo prints always came out with an unpleasant green or yellow tint after the printing company toned them.
The company doesn't care about customers at all, and is just in it for the money.
All products were overpriced, especially passports, which cost $30 each, and the passport camera appeared to be made in the early 2000's.
Up-selling was a huge requirement, so anytime I didnt have a customer in I had to call old customers, and try to convince them to come in again. I was also expected to go out into walmart and pretty much beg people to come in for photo shoots right away.
During training my manager talked about how she watches movies while on the clock, and said she has considered going to get a manicure on a slow day, but when I worked she'd leave me notes telling me i need to do more of this and that, even though I met quotas most days.
Terrible company, terrible managers, terrible job. I quit because I believe in upholding a specific image, and quality in my photography, and I couldn't be proud of what I created at photos unlimited.
Pros
short work days (10am-5pm)
Cons
Some of the customers were more than pleasent
PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB7 August 2018
The management is okay but this wasn't my favourite place to work. And the management is not likely to hire a hard working employee back of they have made one mistake that the management felt was a good reason to let them go even if it wasnt
Just no!
Photographer/editor/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON30 July 2018
I've always wanted to be a photographer. I did the occasional shoot until I came across this job. I was so excited! I went in full of hope! That VERY quickly changed!

I was trained in the matter of 3 days, which is not nearly enough time to learn what you need to. But, their policy is "you'll learn as you go". Fortunately I had a bit of experience, so I knew how to pose people.

Negative emails starting flying in. "You didn't shoot enough of this", "you didn't sell enough of that", "explain what you did your by hour during your shift".

They dont care about you! It came to the point that if I wasn't able to make it in for work I wouldn't even tell anyone. Just wouldn't show up. Couldn't deal with the threatening messages and "why dont yiu call so-and-so who lives 3hours away to come cover.

You worked alone. ALL THE TIME. You have unrealistic sales goals. If you hit your sales goal but didn't do enough shoots, you got a nasty email. If you did enough shoots but didn't hit your sales goal, you got a nasty email.

This is not the way to run a business. Not sure how they're still around...

THE POSITIVE - I love being a photographer. I loved doing the photoshoots! I loved doing the on locations**. This is the career I'm meant for, just not the job.

** at one time (my first and only time) they asked me to drive 3 hours (round trip) to do a 30 minute photoshoot. I was new, and really liked it at this point. HUGE red flag. Those requests don't stop.
Pros
Shooting OLP's
Cons
Minimal pay. Nasty emails. Horrible training. Lack of care towards employees (i could go on)
Couldnt wait to get out
Studio Manager & Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 July 2018
This company is a joke. They treat their employees like garbage and the customers worse. They provide a product that they have no passion about, and it reflects. They give a random person a camera and tell them they are a photographer. Dont do it.
Pros
Meet cool people
Photographer
PHOTOGRAPHER (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 July 2018
Very high turn over rate. Management as minimal at best for training. While the training for employees have improved over time it is still the lowest amount of training I've seen in any job. They also have unrealistic expectations for their employees. You aren't just a photographer, you are a sales man/woman, promoter, cashier, and administrative assistant as well. Lets not forget that half the time you feel like a telemarketer because you're calling people to try to get them to book appointments who haven't come in the studio in years.
Pros
occational gift cards
Cons
minimal pay for maximum work
Fun place to work, can be very stressful
Photographer and sales associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 June 2018
When I first started working for Portraita unlimited it was called CPI Canadian portraits incorporated, when run by them it was very customer oriented, make the customer happy. When the company switched over it started going down hill and was all about money, sales, get people to buy things they don't want. It was a very busy job, you had to know how to multitask as you ran everything by yourself, when I worked out at hydepark they had the funfactory still so I alone ran the portraits; photographing clients, editing photos and upselling the customers. Plus doing the passport photos, upselling luggage tags and passport wallets and well as filling teddy bears and upselling outfits. I also moved around to all four of the locations that they had in London and even covered shifts in st Thomas and strathroy, I managed for a few months at the argyle, hydepark and Westmount location while the managers were off for medical reasons all at seperate times but when I was sent back to my original location they changed my hours from full-time to 6hrs a week so I had no choice but to leave. Since then they've gone down two locations as they couldn't afford to stay open as the company is tanking.
Pros
Fun clients
Cons
Poor management
parfait pour etudiant
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC23 June 2018
après 7 ans la bas j`ai eu a peine 50 cent d`augmentation
et même avec un diplôme professionnel en photographie
les gents avec qui tu travaille sont vraiment exceptionnelle par-contre
sauf les gerantes de district que tu est comme un numéro a faire du cash.
beaucoup de pression sur les ventes, ce qui intéresse les grand boss de bureau est de vendre et non la qualiter de tes photos.
difficile avoir tes heures, et tu est obliger de prendre 1h de dîner sans salaire.
le studio ou je travaillait a fermer c`est porte et il on dit a mes assurance chômage que cétait un départ volontaire.
Pros
collègue, job fun
Cons
salaire, heure, pression
An awful place to work even temporarily
Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON14 June 2018
Go anywhere else.

The company is failing and instead of implementing newer techonology that reflects what a customer in 2018 wants from their photo sessions, they instead drive sales associates into overdrive. There’s is absolutely no reason why you would want to work here. You will end up stressed and in tears with managers breathing down your back, because THEIR manager is breathing down theirs, etc, etc. Sales goals are never met and you will be expected to answer to why. No one here is happy.

The photos are genuinely poor quality. Mean, unhappy customers. Their on location photography is a joke, with no training, hey, you won’t even feel trained as an in store associate because it doesn’t matter how’s much training you really have- you will fail in this position. There’s is no way to win.

Apply with caution.
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to name.
Poor organizational skills
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 June 2018
If they were to focus on building a business insted of trying to make money by bad advertising they would be a great place to work they need to lay off the employees less pressure and they will have a good company
Pros
Work alone
Cons
Shady sales tatics
Unreasonable
Photographer/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 May 2018
you are required to make completely unreasonable dead lines while taking photos of families including infants. must go out in Walmart and try and sell packages.
Very great experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB4 May 2018
I am having a great experience working at the studio I am learning new things everyday and have had a great opportunity for what I am doing! The manager is very sweet and so are the customers!
Great work environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 April 2018
Amazing experience working here. Everyone was friendly and make me feel comfortable in the workspace, I was never afraid to make mistakes.
This is a great place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Photos Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6