Photos Unlimited

Photos Unlimited Employee Reviews

Canada220 reviews
great team
It was a good place to work and very supportive and the team mates are willing to go the extra mile to help the new employees! The older staff will always help and they are all willing to try new things with family pictures
Stressful
This company is complicated to say the least, you can become management in know time with the high turn over rate due to miscommunication, constant product price change, high pressure, passive support games that are played. Equipment is outdated with being cameras and lighting for unattractive photos that clients will complain about. 85% of the staff are unskilled but expected to be professional photographers.
If I could rate a 0 I would
I went to college for Photography and it is my passion. Working for this company made me almost loose my passion. That should show you how horrible it was. They don’t care about the happiness of clients they care about money. Both DMs treated me like garbage. I loved my clients and they loved me. They Told me they only came back for me and not the actual company.
Cons
It was a good job
For photogroaphers it was a great job and really helps gain experience. Loved getting to work with new and returning customers. A lot of pressures to upsell. The effort to care about employees was there but the make was a little missed.
Boring work place
I found that I was always bored and that for the things we were made to do we didn't have the proper equipment for it! Also, the camera is on a stand and we couldn't move it around.
Good part time job and great employees.
It was a great job for the summer and during school. I had the pleasure to work with people that I connected with as well. It is a friendly environment to work in.
Good
A lot of things to learn with camera equipment,photo editing, cashier,order processing,passport photos. Portrait set up, family photo posing. Day to day tasks. Clean up work space. Open and close studio
Don’t care
They don’t care about your well being. You truly try to make sales. But it’s not good enough. They will cut your hours give hours to people that make more sales. Not caring that you have bills to paid and family’s to take care.
Fun place too work love being Santa for the kids
Great place to use your imaginative flavours and ideas Great fun being involved with children of all ages and backgrounds . Being Santa is one of the most fulfilling jobs anyone could ever have .
demanding management.
Management will rather pick on what didn't go well instead of thanking staff for their efforts. You can have the best day in sales, but if you didn't sell an on location session they will rather focus on this. They are very demanding and never happy with the results. They promised me a raise, gave me a better position and never actually adjusted my salary. I had all these responsibilities and no raise. They kept saying << we'll look at your numbers after the next period>> After a year, when I told them I had an offer elsewhere with a better salary they offered me a 2% increase, which is not what we had discussed. They will always ask for more and tell you you are not doing enough. Its a shame, the Job is fun but the environment is toxic.
Horrible
I would not recommend anyone apply here. Management, corporate all corrupt. I had a labor board law suite as they refused to pay for holidays and vacations. Horrible place.
Loved It
The hours are perfect for anyone, and the team is amazing. Across the board, I never had any issues and loved working there. You get sales experience and photography experience all in one.
Frustrating to say the least
I would have loved this job if the software was updated, the studio was better suited and camera not attached to the tripod. The opportunity for creativity is zero in studio. Families also struggle to afford images and are forced to purchase a 100 dollar disc of 1 single image. People want local photographers for their onsite images. Photos unlimited should stick to studio and stick to being the best in studio photography location. If the ceo stuck to perfecting ONE type of photography they'd make more money and serve the oublic better.
Fun & Loving
I have wkred for this company for 2+ Years. This job is a minium paying job so the most an associate could make is about $16 and mangers make anywhere form $17 to $20. This job requires confadince and soembody who is hard working. Your job is to find out what the customers needs are and find packages that best suit their needs but also try to upsell. Hours in the job are performance based as in who can bring in the most money and who can bring out the best photography. If you have no experince with photography they train you so that you know hwta your doing with the camer. On a regualr bases there are training videos for the district to do when changes in the company have been made like prcing or packages. The mangment is amazing. If you are a hard worker and always trying to improve yourslef they do what they cn to take care of you.
Abusive work environment with no regards for employee or customer safety
A typical work day meant juggling passport photos, photo shoots, sale, editing, and cashier work. You would occasionally have a coworker to help but frequently would have to juggle several sets of unhappy and frustrated customers.

There was no staff room, and we were not allowed to eat our lunch in the closed store behind our desks. There was also no refrigerator, so the only place to have lunch or sit down was in the McDonald's also in the Walmart.

At slow points, we were made to clock out for 1-3 hours to work split shifts. We often missed our lunch breaks and weren't paid for them. We also used misleading tactics to promote our photography special events, and were reprimanded for actually helping our customers acquire the products they wanted (still making decent sized sales), instead of lying about what products we offered to sell our overpriced photography packages. The manager also would make staff do monthly inventory instead of herself so she could go home early.

The flash for the passport photos was broken, and they never replaced it. Once, while dealing with 3 sets of angry customers (because I was alone), my hand slipped, and I was mildly electrocuted. I was overall okay, but my heart momentarily stopped.

A few weeks later, we had a photography special event. A young family of African immigrants came in for photography of their baby. In the process of explaining that they had to pay for the photographs (the session itself was *free*)- a one and a half year old baby ended up electrocuting himself on the flash. He started screaming, and his hand literally
 - more...
Its hard to give a definite review for this company
Ive enjoyed working here, as I have learned a lot. Everything from photography, lighting, to working with people, posing, and understanding sales.

Let me tell you beforehand, that as a photography studio, its not really up there. Everything is outdated like centuries away, and your smartphone could 100% shoot better. Despite this, I came to understand why people still buy photos, and why the experience, and quality of "shooting in a studio" can mean a lot.

Its a good job, but learn more, and go to workshops outside of this, network, and build your portfolio.

This type of job can be daunting if you have bills to pay, and are looking for a long term position. But for me, its short term value outweighed any cons.
Pros
Learning Opportunity
Cons
Wage
Loved this job
This was hands down my favourite job EVER and i had very little photography experience when I started and wasnt sure I would be good at it but my co workers and management team were awesome, they were also super patient while training me. I learned so much working there and honestly had so much fun. There were so many good benefits for customers to return to us for photos that I also made some great friends.
I love that they do outdoor photo shoots. It was a great way for us to get extra hours and really use our creative photography skills outside the studio setting.

I also enjoyed the sales part of the job, but that's because my work and photography was worth it.

I hope to someday return to the studio once my kids are grown and out of school.
Pros
Always learning and Super Fun
Management inadequate
The corporate end of this company couldn't care less about their employees, the district manager was beyond inept and extremely ignorant to the ridiculous pressure they placed on their district and had unattainable expectations for each store.
Money is more important than quality
The managers at store level were great. The upper management was pushy micro managers that cared more about numbers than the quality of product or service. Near the end they were trying to get staff to be ranked based off their skills wich is a move in the right direction. They never update equipment or their studios. Our studio was still the early 90s style with matted dirty carpets and broken plastic chairs the fake wood molding was falling off the walls and the wall paper was starting to peal.
Great if you have a good manager
This is a big company with many branches, so I feel like your experience is going to depend on your manager. Personally I've actually really enjoyed it here. Working for about 3 months and already have had more opportunities come my way. It's a team environment with goals meant to try to challenge yourself, not to compare yourself to others.
The boss is one of the most awesome bosses I have ever worked for. She was very patient teaching me about what is expected in terms of pictures taken.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Photos Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6