Photographers Without Borders Employee Reviews

A great place to volunteer, backed by passionate volunteers.
Journalist and Blogger (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Photographers Without Borders is a pivotal place to gain experience and help other photographers' work gain attention.
Experience of a lifetime
Journalist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Working with PWB has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career yet. I feel like I'm actually able to give my opinion and be heard when I have creative ideas. PWB works hard to make every dollar count on a very small budget and offers travel opportunities for staff who have demonstrated commitment.
Pros
Travel benefits, great leadership, great vision
Creative, positive and fun team!
Social Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2016
I love working with Photographers Without borders! I have only worked here for 3 months so far but I find the experience very fulfilling. I love attending weekly meetings because the energy and atmosphere of the team is so positive and creative and leaves me feeling motivated and inspired at the end of each meeting.
Mismanagement and Charity work
Global Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto23 July 2015
I worked from Oct 2014 - July 2015 my review strongly matches the other one posted here. I was also refused payment though praised as one of the "hardest working and most passionate"

I also was told because of an NDA I was not allowed to "speak ill of PWB", I never signed anything and could not believe the audacity of the global project manager saying that to me after I had offered to finished my projects and she rejected flat out the offer after begging me to stay on.

Pros: all work is done on own time and from home/not in an office space
get to work with passionate caring open minded people
get to talk and work with people all over the world
can raise awareness for what ever cause you yourself are passionate about
travel opportunities
small work groups - tight knit team

Cons: little to no pay
travelling required - no reimbursement
long/abnormal hours required - Skype calls/meetings with people all over the world in different time zones
horrible management - no accountability - very little actual support
no training - given online manual to follow that is old and out of date or does not match what the Global project manager expects
current Global Project Manager is out of touch, and has not ever attempted managing a project (when I was there but got my projects when I left) but puts demands on the coordinators that she does not understand because shes never attempted the project
unorganized - no structure - have to self manage
promises of payment and benefits are made (job is unpaid but told you will get payment for reimbursement for project coordination)
  more... but when it comes to payment extra processes are put on to delay paying employees
unrealistic expectation of work load when manager and executive director do not contribute

Advice for management: Do closing interviews so you can pin point the issues, do fake the relationships you are supposed to have with your employees, do not just pretend to listen and take no action, when someone tells you their manager is inexperienced and needs to take on tasks (and is clearly unhappy in their role even though being praised for being the hardest and most passionate worker), do not demand things from employees when you have no idea of actual work load, mandatory meetings mean the executive director of the company must also show and not leave early and not disappear for 2 months come back and question why work isn't done when there was no leadership, straighten out your values, your own role, and management

Advice for anyone looking: if you've never worked in a proper office or the business world and have a ton of free time and are passionate then you can probably tolerate it for a bit, if you have work experience or any other constraints on your time do not touch this job
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
Official response from Photographers Without Borders
21 December 2015

Volunteering for PWB requires an understanding of the complexity of our Organization and of our mandate. We expect your commitment to our Organization, to respect others, their individual experiences and to be able to cooperate in a team environment. It is a very rewarding experience for the right individual and a great place to grow!