Phoenix Technology Services

Phoenix Technology Services Reviews: Working at Phoenix Technology Services

Canada26 reviews

Overall a fun rewarding experience.

I was hired as a staff hand too run there Velocity tool.My hope was to mwd for a bit then switch too directional drilling but to be honest the money for someone at the bottom of the ladder is on the mwd side, stricly for the days you will be putting in.Alot of great people, and smart minds work at PHX, also a few dummies.There's a plethora of material covering every aspect of the job on there 3 support websites. Access to a company directory so theres always support if your in a sticky situation when running the tool.Cant speak very much to upper managment as I only met 1 of them while training, but middle managment is helpful and there's always an oncall coordinator you can call 24/7 with mwd issues.The pay is the lowest for a directional company, which feels sometimes like its not worth it, especially when your up for 20hrs troubleshooting with no extra compensation, but because of the low pay PHX has maintained low daily costs and has a huge market share of the rig count in western canada.My only tip - cover your butt when making a decision that can affect the Well through emails and texts, save proof, Coordinators will try to stick up for you but at the end of the day you're the employee on site and if someone has to get fired it WILL be you.Prepare to put in some serious days, but make good money compared to a job in the city.

Pros

Challenging - New issues to troubleshoot on the fly all the time

Cons

Low pay for the field - Can feel un appreciated at times.

Cold and toxic culture

If I could turn back the time and reject the offer, I would have done it. Really terrible place to work. Even after years after quitting, the toxicity of that environment is still haunting me. The work itself, like job duties were good at this company, like they were challenging, thought-provoking and interesting. I learnt a lot in my profession while working for this company. But that sums it up, unfortunately. The department that I used to work in had quite a turnover of people. Overall, the CFO is a very cold person with no empathy for others, he hired a Controller in place and a lot of people quit this job because of this person, even those who didn't report directly. The CEO - the same,  you are just a number, that's it. There have been rumors that when he walks to his office, he gets nervous when he sees additional heads sticking out of cubicles. The middle managers who think of their employees or subordinates and can step in their shoes, got laid off from there rather quickly, since they don't fit the culture there. My advice: please stay away! If you have no other job offer and in need of money, go ahead and accept, but don't stop looking for a new job. It's totally fine to work there for a couple of months only and then just move on. Moreover, if you worked there for 2-3 months only, you can tailor your resume, so this job experience never shows up on your resume.

Insights into Phoenix Technology Services

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Strong work ethic in most employees and great character with management and higher ups, would absolutely recommend trying to get on as an entry to the oil and gas industry

Employee Number ___

I worked in Engineering for 9 years as an Engineering Tech.Engineering had some great Managers who were very encouraging and a joy to work for but that's where the pro's end.About 7-9 years ago Phoenix was a great place to work. Since then this company has fallen so hard it is sad. When the going got tough with oil crashing twice, the suits showed their true colors. Upper management couldn't give the slightest care for their employees as long as they got to keep their exorbitant compensation. They will lay off and cut salaries to the entire company while they get raises, I mean this is an oil company so what do you expect?Phoenix loves to hire cheap cheap cheap, don't interview here if you expect to even come close to your career industry standard. This has caused the company to have an insane amount of turnover, the only employees that stay are the ones who are overpaid; coordinators and upper management.You want a place to work that has room for advancement? Well you better get some lube and kneepads because you will have to ... well...Hard work isn't noticed at Phoenix, only the biggest suck-ups to their bosses are. If you aren't best friends with your Boss or Upper Management, well don't expect any raises or advancement anytime soon. A weird paradox to this is Upper Management expects you to work an unfair amount of non-paid overtime. They have created a fear-for-your-job work environment. If you are working your regular hours, you should probably be scared for your job because you aren't working hard enough. I didn't realize what a good work environment -

Pros

Engineering Manager

Cons

Upper Management, Bad Compensation, barely any Benefits, bad Work Environment

Best place to work, excellent manager support, and opportunities to grow

I enjoy every day at work, people are friendly and willing to help and teach you all of the time. Manager support is excellent. The horizontal drilling service provide is the best in the market. The shop in Calgary is amazing and all the tools are the most advance in the market. I feel proud to be part of this great company

Poorly managed company that doesn't appreciate employees

I've worked at Phoenix for over 10 years and during that time I've seen management become disconnected from employees and day to day operations and fill their pockets at the expense of the employees. They're a very "top heavy " company, go ahead and review management earnings, they're a public company so those numbers are readily available. While employees take a significant pay reduction, management continue to give themselves unwarranted bonuses. If you're not management you will be underappreciated and poorly compensated compared to their competitors. Extra efforts go unnoticed and their expections are high. When the question of asking to be paid for overtime was brought to management, their response was, "Consider yourselves lucky to have a job in this environment ". In other words, those extra 2-4 hours worked per day will not be paid, even though it's their fault that they're understaffed and too cheap to hire more people yet get upset when things are not turned around in their expected time frame. Instead of supporting employees they use them as scapegoats and dismiss/fire at will, regardless of years of experience. Terribly managed company with no morals, culture or integrity.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

Not appreciated and poorly compensated compared to other companies

management was friendly and cooperative

it was fun working for Phoenix technology services. I had good time working there.I wish I was still working there but company was going through hard time due to covid19.well hopefully I will be back there.

Run for your life- DO NOT work here

The.Worst.Company.Ever. Racist, abusive managers, unacceptable behaviour allowed. Senior Managers, Directors sleeping with their employees, getting rid of good people because they refused to behave like the rest of them. Poor pay, poor benefits, unfair treatment, disgusting work environment.

Bad company to work for

If you can find another company to work for, I would suggest you go there. Phoenix has zero loyalty and pays terribly. They do not give raises and there is no real appreciation. You are just a number and they make sure you know that. They keep the number of employees at a bare minimum and pile the work onto others.

Terrible place to work!!!!!

Your rushed to work, driving 8 - 12 hrs then arrive on site, unload the kit, and set up ASAP because their picking up tools very shortly. The first day expect to be up 18 to 20 hrs. The Coordinators are a joke, they will screw you over every chance they get, you're just a number to them, culture there is brutal. They will try and screw field hands on money, e.g. km's, raises, I haven't seen one in the 2 years being there The office isn't any better, the management are useless there. The hardest part of the job is the first day, they don't pay to send you a day earlier to set up. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS GOING HOME!!!!

first work experience

it was a good experience i learned a lot of commissioning skills as i was under very well known operators in the province. the experience i got moved me up for sure

Not a fun place to work

Was not a good working environment and constantly being undermined. Have to be part of a cliche or you don't fit in. Had very good benefits. Not organized and did not have any processes in order that would need to be done daily.

Pros

4 Days off

very so, so.

With the high turnover of the management the company was difficult to feel comfortable in. The schedule was moved around and a difficult life work balance was imposed. I saw many GOOD people let go.

benefits

Cons

management, culture, work-life balance

not bad,up and down

It was a good experience. The work was enjoyable,travelling to different places all the time and meeting new people. Management was decent but always changing.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

inconsistent

meh

Egalitarian culture.

Like many work places, some Senior Management issues. Struggling to be profitable in a tough business environment. Complex supply chain / inventory processes.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Tough business environment right now.

Good tools and good people

Phoenix provides the tools and support that is needed to get the job done. Generally a good place to run MWD equipment for as there is a good support system in place.

Fun place to work, good group of coworkers

No job security in Oil and Gas jobs. Good group of coworkers. Good team building atmosphere in a production based job. Physically demanding work.

Good company to keep you busy.

It was a very good company to work for. went through a lot of changed once the industry took a turn for the worse. they laid lots of people off and brought people in from out of country.

Alright

work days can been long and boring. management for my division isnt the best. lacks people skills and isnt very motivated. Can be very rude towards people and expects people to work 24/7. Work Environment isnt the greatest. Overrall come is good. Very good benefits and Upper management/CEO is very nice and treats employees very nicely.

Pros

free lunches

Fun close knit group

management was great and everyone was close.Great location and culture all around. After work groups and sport activities were a lot of fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Phoenix Technology Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement