PHMG

PHMG Employee Reviews

The engineering side

I'm a field engineer so this pertains to those that would be following my lead. We expect hard work and a happy client here at PHMG. As an engineer, your duties require installing music on hold through the use of an amplifier/jump drive and uploading company greetings, but more importantly it involves making people happy. Professionalism is of utmost importance and we expect you to be on your best behavior. Be hungry. No such thing as "I know what I'm doing, I don't need to learn anymore". I guarantee you you don't know every phone system you will work with. Asking for help from the team is encouraged. Giving your all will be rewarded. Put your work in and you will have a blast getting to talk to new people and learning things you'll have never learned otherwise.

Pros

Work at your own pace, reasonably easy work if you know your stuff, Every day is a brand new day, you manage your time and get to do things in the way you want it.

Cons

You'll be driving a lot to start, perhaps 2 to 3 hours a day, This will slow down in a couple months as you finish more jobs in your outer area.

Smoke and Mirrors

Great initial sales training with a sleek and professional work environment, That is what they sell you on and that is what they initially deliver. After you are assigned to a team that environment switches up fast. Underperformers are uncomfortably berated in front of other team members. Drug use is pervasive amongst management. The most pressing problem is that after you close a deal and it is handed off to the account management team that it can be cancelled which is then taken out of your salary.

Pros

Good initial sales training

Cons

Drug use, mistreatment of employees, shady sales tactics

Alright money but expect to have no life

Source all your data outside of working hours of 1.30pm-11pm so you end up sourcing all your data in the morning and calling potential customer all afternoon/evening. So you end up doing mad hours everyday and using your weekends to source your own leads finding the business owners names, whether they fit certain criteria and you’ve got to do this for every lead you want to ring. So if you want to earn good money you can but expect to pull in some mad hours every week

Pros

Pool table break out room is cool

Cons

No life balance whatsoever

Not worth your time if you have a degree

If you have a college degree you can do far better than PHMG. Very little encouragement and work/life balance from management. Enjoy the free beer or two on Friday, because that's about as good as it gets.

Pros

Haha

Cons

Manager style

Avoid, avoid, avoid

The company is totally dominated by sales. Everything is sales. Whilst they try to make out that it's a creative agency with loads of amazing creative talent, internally the only people who matter are the salesmen. Yes men, not people. "Boys club" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. Management actively enjoys and encourages infidelity. They want family men who drive fancy cars (oh yeah, once you hit a certain seniority you're "encouraged" to buy an expensive car) who sleep around with staff. No joke. Think Mad Men without the talent. You must arrive at a specific time, if you don't, you're punished - and I mean to the minute. There are set break times, again, to the minute. It's like being in school, not to mention the dress code. The pay, unless you're in sales, is dismal compared to other agencies. They target graduates who are desperate to get any job and are willing to take anything. It's a good starter job in that respect, but plan on moving within 6 months if you know what's good.The parties are fun, lavish, vapid, and very well "dusted" if you know what I mean. I met some great people there, but really that has nothing to do with the company itself.

Pros

Works with big brands which looks good on your CV when you apply to a new job

Cons

Too many to list

Not my bag

Company utilises terrible pay deals and the working practices are shady. Covid secure... well I didn't see any security. Felt intimidated to return to the office and put health at jeopardy.

Alright at best

It's okay if you're coming out of college, but other than that, it's not worth it. Compensation is not worth the amount of hours that you put into it to be successful.

Head down and work

Cut throat environment, recruit 15/20 people a month and only 1 stay on at a time. Expect you to work through your lunch and also you have to source your own leads, I was working 13 hour shifts and it still wasn’t good enough

Pros

Cons

12 hour days

You Get What You Give

Before being hired I was very impressed with PHMG. The high-rise office on the mag mile, everyone wearing suites, free snacks - it all seemed high end and luxurious. It all seems very nice on the surface but it wasn't until a few months in that I realized the situation I was in. Don't get me wrong, no one has ever treated me wrong or with disrespect at PH, everyone is extremely nice and more than willing to help. But sooner or later it's just going to be just you and your phone. This job is 100% cold calling from 8:30 a.m. until 4:45-5:30. When I first started I was given 100 recycled leads and about 10-15% (probably less) of those leads were quality. After you run through the new starter data in a week or two you will then be expected to source your own leads ON YOUR OWN TIME. That's my biggest issue with PHMG, you're expected to cold call high quality leads for the entire work day but those leads need to be generated either after work or if you decide to come in early. Generally, after being on the phone and staring at a computer for 8+ hours, the absolute LAST THING that I want to do when I get home is to stay in work mode and source data for an additional hour or two once you're off the clock. This job isn't for everyone which was made evident by the high rate of turnover starting with the new hires that realize they don't like the job within the first few weeks and continuing to some of the longer employed workers that just don't want to deal with the nonsense and politics anymore. This job is not hard by any means. It's quite easy to sit behind a desk all day and cold -

Pros

Friendly & Helpful Managment/Co-Workers and free snacks.

Cons

Lots of rejection, long hours

Could be the best job in the US

Management is horrible they will use profanity towards you without a reason. They get off on embarrassing you. My manager never once gave me a review or words of appreciation. I'm a big boy I don't need that to perform but it's just further proof of the worse culture possible. The head guy in charge located in Chicago is plain pyshco. Its really a shame because the product is amazing, the sales process is phenomenal and the support staff is extremely knowledgeable. The pay is off the charts fair. With the right culture people would be lining up to work there and never leave. Hopefully one day they will figure that out but I could be starving and would never go back and I hit my numbers.

Pros

Sales process, pay and product

Cons

Culture is the worst on the planet

One of the best jobs I've had

People in the Chicago office are great. Managers are usually helpful and understanding. Job pays well. Not really any job advancement. Lots of travel means less time at home. Sometimes you have to drive 6+hrs a day. I would average 1k miles per week. Company paid for hotel stays, food, gas, rental vehicle (which is nice). Overall good company, would work for them again.

Pros

Great pay and people.

Cons

If you hate driving this is not for you.

Opportunity for Career Growth

Lots of opportunity for Career Growth and a fun work environment. I was promoted 3 times in 3 years and gained lots of valuable and transferable experience.

Nope

Just nope. Culture was terrible. High turnover rate, saw so many people get fired. It was basically an extension of high school with their attitudes. The design of the company was to profit off your sales even after you’ve left. It was more stressful than encouraging.

Not nice ppl to work for.

I would rather eat my owm head than work at ph media. The sales managers are on a constant power trip and the top sales ppl gave egos as big as planetary systems. I would work here in a gap year as a way of encourgaing someone to find a career they like in order tonnever have to set foot in a place like this

Fast paced and competitive. Sport and music culture orientated

During my 4 years at the company I worked in sales, account management and internal recruitment. I managed the internal recruitment for the London office and relocated to the Manchester HQ and have also been sent to the Chicago office as a top performer. The roles within the company are fast paced and competitive and there is a work hard, play hard culture. The hardest part of the recruitment roles are managing the recruitment process and managing hiring managers expectations. The most enjoyable part is hiring new talent, being responsible for their development and watching them grow and succeed within the business.

Pros

Long list or company perks, competitive environment, working for global leader

Cons

The overall culture and management styles, lack of HR

Hated it at PHMG, all about selling

They don't care about employees, it is all about them pushing you for sales and getting contracts. I wouldn't recommend a job here unless you like stress and poor pay without prospects.

Lots of Broken Promises

Let's start w training. You will spend almost a week on training, but really only half a day of that is on how to actually do the job. The rest of the week is about how great and innovative the company is, but really it's not. Once you are on the floor, you are left to sink or swim. No one will help you. They won't tell you this, but your expected to put in basically 12 hr days. You're looked down upon if you take a lunch or break. It's a very unprofessional environment, lots of screaming. I'm not saying they're sexist, but most women don't do well there. Only one woman was making good money during my time. Turnover is ridiculous. There's a reason they are always hiring, and have a large training classes every other week.

Great community with a focus on progress

Everyone is very high spirited, energetic, and ready to work hard. The community within the company is one of the best and most inclusive I've seen and compliments the personalities of those working there very well. There are definitely times where work gets overloaded and complicated due to the many different channels each assignment has to go through but typically it is a manageable workload.

Hard work and very friendly @ PHMG

The environment at PHMG is very hard working and dynamic. They always endeavour to give back to the staff, we have some fantastic benefits including gym membership and music lessons! I have found that people in all departments within the company are as equally happy to help as the other which makes work life so much easier within a business of this size. My experience has been incredibly positive, I would strongly recommend a role here if you want to grow and work with a growing global organisation that cares.

Flexible work if you're a freelance composer

Composing the 'on-hold' music tracks for clients that use PHMG's services can be a lot of fun. Each music track comes with a different brief and you work with the music supervisors on each track to create the perfect composition for each client. The work is fairly flexible. The tracks have to be completed normally within 2 working days. You can stop taking on music briefs if you have other work on and then start them back up again, which is really handy being a freelancer. The music briefs seemed to come in waves... you could get 8 briefs one month, then 1 or 2 the next. The pay is.... ok but it needs to be reviewed. When I worked there the fee was £200 per track. Each track had to be 3-4 minutes long, of the highest standard (they use some very well known reference tracks that you have to compete with) and PHMG retains all copyright. You may be asked to do revisions on a track or even re-write it. These revisions and notes can come from the music supervisor and/or client. You also have to upload stems for each track signed off which can take up a lot of time too. In the end, it can actually take the best part of a week to have one composition signed off. During the time I was working for them, I didn't feel that time required to complete one track, nor the value of the music was reflected in the £200 fee they pay the composers. The music is obviously a huge selling point for PHMG and the service they provide (they call themselves an audio branding agency after all) so I really do hope they revise and increase the fee they pay the musicians, especially -

Pros

Flexible, fun and interesting music briefs

Cons

Low pay for the amount of days you can spend finishing one track

Really great place to work

I've worked at PHMG for nearly a year and have really enjoyed my time here. Everyone works hard and is very professional while still maintaining a great atmosphere in the office. There are lots of social events like work nights out and the summer/Christmas parties. There are also lots of perks like getting beauty treatments in the office and free gym memberships.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PHMG. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement