PetSmart Employee Reviews for Pet Sitter

Fired for the dumbest thing possible
Pet Care Associate / Cashier Seasonal (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 May 2018
I really enjoyed working here until new management took over. One by one my co workers started to be replaced because of it. Good hard working people shafted by new management.

When it came to be my turn on the chopping block they fired me for and I quote

"giving fish heart attacks"

Now, what actually happened was: I walked past the fish tanks and one of the 0.13 fish jumped out and died. I picked the fish up and disposed of it, but apparently this event was so " traumatizing" to a customer that they went and complained to " every manager in the store"

To add insult to injury they pulled me away from doing cash on my last shift to clean a door.
Pros
Getting to work with pets
Cons
Garbage management
Pets don't come first
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2018
I like most people wanted to work in pet stores to be able to care for animals. PetSmart takes excellent care of it's dry goods but the same cannot be side for its live animals. Store is also extraordinarily clique-y with no room for advancement.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else
Fun
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 April 2018
Good place to work if you love animals and building a strong bond with customers. You learn a lot about products, as well as pets. Fun energy and potential.
It is a very fun workplace to gain lots of knowledge about animals.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 March 2018
Everyone who I have worked with was rather laid-back in terms of personality. They are hard-working though. Through PetSmart I was able to gain a lot of knowledge about all the pets in our care as well as dog and cat food.
Poor work envirorment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 March 2018
The management has no respect for their employees, they will change hours with no warning or consent. They only feed the animals basic food which leads to them becoming malnourished. Management takes no suggestions from staff.
Pros
caring for the animals
Cons
bad managment
Fun place to work
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 February 2018
Fun work environement. Lots of cool products to learn about. Great building relationships with customers and their pets. Good team building job. Enjoyable place to work.
Rough time with management
Pet Care Associate/Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB8 January 2018
Great job for somebody looking to make some cash. Management is poor while i was working and made it hard to enjoy work or look forward to going. Fun job based on tasks at hand.
Petsmart, Some really great attitudes
Pet care associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 November 2017
Some of the workers and managers here are amazing but some of the policies are not something that should be in a pet store for the sake of the pet. Some times you have to perform time consuming task while paying attention to all customers.
Pros
Good attitudes
Cons
Sometimes to much responsibilities for 1 person
Great place great people
Pet Care Associate / Stocker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 October 2017
great place to work the crew and management are good but if your good at your job they will expect you to work every second you can. in my experience at least. i worked 15hrs 15 days in a row at one point but i volunteered and loved every second of it. i highly recommend this place as an employer they are an amazing company.
nice place to take a break
Pet Care/Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  BC27 September 2017
its an okay place for temporary placement, its an easy job, but don't expect too much out of it. Management is nice except the odd manager, otherwise staff is friendly.
opk
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 August 2017
I still think this is stupid and dumb i should not have to do this. I am going to close my accunt with indeed because og how dumb this is STOP THIS NOW
Not Horrible, but not great
Pet-care Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 August 2017
Don't get me wrong, its a great place, the people are great and every thing along those lines. However, due to past experiences and horrible time off request allowance, It can be kind of hard to enjoy it there.
Hardest part of the mornings
Pros
animals
Cons
EARLY mornings
its decent
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 August 2017
the associates and the animals make the job. most of the managers ive dealt with are a pain and customers there seem to be a little bit crazier than most. but its a pretty decent job over all.
Pros
dogs
Cons
management and short shifts
my opinion
Pet Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON6 July 2017
i enjoyed petsmart in the beginning but eventually management changed n the joy i had for work slowly started leaving the job over all is very enjoyable
Pros
staff is wonderul and animals
Cons
management
Lots of fun
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 June 2017
loved working in the pet care department, working with all types of different species of animals and ensuring their proper care throughout the day made the job worth while,
Wonderful Environment
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON25 May 2017
PetSmart was an amazing company to work for. The only reason I am leaving Ottawa is due to housing and school. I work in the Pethotel, running day camp. I also have duties such as cleaning, feeding, check in's and check out's, and individual care. The management team has been amazing and very accommodating to all of their employee's. I can't express how much I love working with animals everyday. I hope to continue in a field of work with a similar atmosphere and with animals.
Unique, Fast paced retail environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  835 Eglington Avenue East23 May 2017
Day to day work at Pet Smart was fine, tasks were not overly difficult. For the most part you will find friendly co workers with a love for animals.
I received next to no training and I never received any follow ups with any management. It was clear to me that I was only ever a burden to the company. Not all the cages and habitats sold in store are acceptable to put any animal in. It is very clear that no one who is higher up in management cares at all about the well being of animals or even know anything about the live animals they sell in their stores. They do not provide correct information on most of the live animals sold as well. So if you work there and want to actually give animals the best care possible... Just work as a cashier.
Pros
Customers bring friendly dogs into the store
Horrible Management
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 May 2017
A good work place really depends on the people that surround you and good management is what makes or breaks associates. This has been the worse management I have ever experienced and I have no idea how almost all the managers at my store were hired. They are all incompetent, show clear favoritism, and don't do anything except give excuses that seem extremely dismissive when you come with complaints. The company says they have an open door policy but all it seemed like to me was just a door for them to shut you out if they don't like you anymore. I went to them with reasonable complaints such as schedules not being placed out in time (only 2 days before the next week when they're supposed to be 2 WEEKS in advance), horrible scheduling where there would be only 2 associates working in the entire store, needing help in pet care, etc. Except they twisted my feelings to make it seem like I'm only feeling this way because I was going through some personal trauma (like my grandfather passing and getting my car broken in to). However a few months have passed and I still feel the same so it's most definitely not because of that...
Mostly all the pet care associates and a few others feel this place is toxic due to poor management. I enjoy the animals, I enjoyed what I was doing, but the workplace culture is horrendous. All they focus on is sales when really they forget about the animal care aspect of the store especially because we have LIVE ANIMALS AND FISH.
Honestly, if they had hired competent management none of this would happen. There are more things wrong with this place and
  more... this is only the start. For the sake of keeping it short I won't talk about it all. In short however, they really need to do something about training their managers properly, stop cutting hours, and focus more on animal care instead of greedy sales.  less
Cons
Short hours, understaffed, worse managers in the world
Decent place for highschool students
Pet Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
Decent place for highschool students to work, high turnover rates. Management when I was there was not great but maybe it is better now. Pay isn't very good for the amount of work required as a manager. Definitely not a long term job
Fun place good people
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC20 April 2017
Fun place with lots of room to learn and grow. Good people to work with with great management for the most part. Not to keen on giving breaks though. r