PetSmart Employee Reviews for Cashier

Bad management, disorganized
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 May 2018
There were many issues that happened with PetSmart. They only gave me an hour of training, and then proceed to get frustrated with me when I don't understand the procedures. I've had to stay past my clock out time several times, it's constantly understaffed, they overwork you and they treat you badly if you take your 15-minute breaks. The staff is heavily disorganized and only certain workers know how to properly handle situations without a manager.
Pros
Animals, employee discount is 20%
Cons
long hours, bad management, horrible communication
productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON23 April 2018
was my first job learned how to deal with the public. Learned how to work a cash register. Management was friendly. The most enjoyable part was working in a pet friendly environment
Pros
ggood experience
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 March 2018
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves, customer service and cleaning. It is an upbeat environment and employees are friendly and caring.
The hardest part of the job is not taking home every pet.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the different animals that come through the store.
Genuine a Decent PT Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
I was a cashier for just over a year. I loved my co-workers. it's your average cashier job. You are asked to do additional tasks, such as help with pricing, stock, etc. It was always fun giving a dog a treat at the cashier. It gave decent hours for part-time job.

This job went complete downhill when your job depended on email-capture, no matter how hard you tried. The schedule never came out 2 weeks in advanced, however, management was really good with time off.

The SL at my location was just rude to everyone, treating them as her slaves and not as people. She had double standards and treated you like garbage when you submitted resignation. However, the rest of the management was caring.
Pros
co-workers, animals, PT hours, flexibility
Cons
SL management, promotions, expectations
Great place to work if you love animals
PetCare Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  calgary alberta21 November 2017
great place to work if you love animals! friendly and understanding coworkers. i learnt a lot about customer service and the right way to treat and care for customers.
great place to work
Cashier / Petcare Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 October 2017
Love working at petsmart, but the pay is horrible especially for supporting a family.
Management tends to punish people with no hours if you book any days off
Learning Everyday
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 August 2017
In the field of a sales Associate in Pet Retail, you tend to require having background and quite a bit of knowledge for pet care. Sometimes there are questions tossed at you which help you learn; either in discovering the information together or learning how to communicate with the customer. The most enjoyable part of work is the steady pace in which time passes quicker and the puppies and occasional cats that come in with their pet parents. The difficult part of work would be handling some of the rude and arrogant customers.
Pros
First and Last greet of Pets the come in
Cons
Getting jumped on by too excited dogs
Hated it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  london on16 August 2017
Do not recommend working here. Impolite staff, impolite customers, no advancement, no training in different departments despite multiple requests and promises.
Pros
Cons
long
Ok place, too much staff and management rotation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2017
too much staff and management rotation, otherwise it is fine. Learned the basics of pet care (rodents, fish, reptiles). Management is mostly nice. Nice to work with pets.
fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC13 June 2017
fun place to work at if you love dogs and other small animals. i typical day for a cashier is near the cash register all day. i learned to help customers with the troubles they may have finding products.
Poor management
Core/Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 May 2017
Working at petsmart was fun until new management took over. I personally had to file three complaints against a manager who threatened me numerous times, but I still had to continue to work under her for two months until they finally let her go. They don't care about their employees, only about making money. I was one of their best employees but I was forced to leave when things got unbearable. Do not work here.
Fun Coworkers but Bad Environment Overall
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC30 March 2017
You'll start off at minimum wage and will only get a small raise once a year. Even then, you have to score high enough on their evaluation system. And if you do, you'll get a few pennies. There's little loyalty towards employees who stick around so most simply don't. Just about everyone who works there felt the same so it was fun to complain in the break room. Plus they hire so many people that sometimes you'll get 10 or less hours a week.

The biggest perk is definitely the animals. Though be prepared to clean up a few messes caused by them. If it wasn't for the animals this would probably be considered one of the worst places to work.
Pros
Dogs are cute and coworkers are good people
Cons
Little pay, few hours, no loyalty to employees.
Petsmart
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 March 2017
I overall had a very great experience and loved the atmosphere. I felt very accepted by the management. I'm aiming for earlier hours than night shifts!
Enjoyed working with the live animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway Park Drive Kitchener23 December 2016
I never had a typical day at Pet Smart. I did everything from cleaning, pricing, scheduling, empty shelf audits, shipping, receiving. cash. Really any thing that I was able to learn I did. The upper management was good. My co-workers were younger but always willing to learn. The hardest part of my job was trying to always stay on top of rotating products. Always enjoyed seeing the customers with their pets.
Pros
Live pets
Cons
Ratation of the products
Amazing Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 September 2016
Petsmart was an amazing company to have worked at. I really loved the managers and staff as well as the customers. I had a blast working there and I will always feel like it is family.
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
A typical day for me was working as a cashier, helping to stock shelves and collecting donations for the local SPCA. I learned all my cashiering skills from this job and a lot of my people skills as well. My management was very organized and reliable in terms of giving me hours and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There weren't many hard parts about my job, I struggled at first with cashiering but managed to pick it up easier than I thought I would. I really enjoyed this job, if it weren't for school (I am graduated now) I would still be working there.
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 April 2016
The overall environment was good, past-paced, never without something to do and a lot of opportunities to get ahead. However, the management allowed certain employees to slack and behave completely inappropriately because they hired friends. There was a lot of drama too. A decent place as a whole.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Management, drama
Busy, high traffic workplace, fast day, great people.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 April 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work, you're always busy, constantly on the move. Interacting with customers is a must, no matter what part of the store you work in. It's a great environment, as long as you're good with animals and pet parents.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON28 March 2016
PetSmart was an amazing place to work, they understand personal things and give you the time off that you need to deal with those things.
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC18 March 2016
PetSmart is a great place to work. I love seeing all the dogs and other pets come in the store because it always puts a smile on my face.
Pros
seeing dogs everday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K