PetSmart Employee Reviews for Associate

Horrible management, horrible conditions for animals
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON2 October 2018
no one cares at petsmart, the management force you to come in early or on your days off or even when you aren't available to work. They push you around and make you do their job because they're too lazy to do anything and then when someone gives a compliment to the store they take all the credit. nobody even gets a thank you or an consideration for all the hard work and extra hours we come in for. asking any employees for help in the store is a total joke and then the customers get mad at you because everyone else is too busy picking their noses in the corner. petsmart needs to invest in some actual managers and supervisors that will make their employees feel appreciated every once and a while.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
everything else
I like them
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 August 2018
It was the average job. I was responsible for the care and cleaning of all the pets; cats/dogs/reptiles/birds/rodents, and all of the feeder insects .
My Review
PetCare associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2018
It is exhausting work. There is always lots to do and at times very little staff. It can be an enjoyable work place. I love working with animals and the customers are usually quite lovely. It can be quite demanding although and is typically understaffed, which therefore increases the work load, while not increasing the pay.
Pros
Working with all the animals, learning about the care of many types of pets, experience working with said pets
Cons
Hard work, such as scrubbing fish tanks (it hurts the back after some time), having allergies to things such as hay and reacting from those allergies each shift
Terrible Management
Petcare Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 October 2017
The title says it all, they don't care about the animals and focus mainly on profit. They can care less about the staff and only focus on themselves. Management is terrible and incompetent.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Everything else.
productive and fun
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 September 2017
I personally really enjoyed working at my pet smart location.
If i had a bad day,its pretty big stress reliever to be around furry animals all day.but be warned if you don't like insects this is not the job for you. Feeding the reptiles is part of the job description,oh and be ready to be peed on.otherwise pretty awesome job.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
cleaning alot of feces
I've worked here for 6 years and have loved it
Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 April 2017
PetSmart has been a wonderful source of income and responsibility for me since I was in high school. I am now in teacher's college 6 years later and they have supported me every step of the way by working around my schedule and providing me with enough hours to supplement my education.
Pros
Playing with dogs, cats, etc., Meeting new people with mutual interests
Cons
Cleaning up after animals, as it distracts from other, more pressing responsibilities
Great Place to Work Part-time
Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 March 2017
Loved my time with Petsmart. Great company to work for and great management. Love meeting new parents and their pets. Was great with getting time off if needed. Flexible with shifts
Pros
Work in setting with animals
Fun workplace
Pets hotel associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2016
Despite having to write 15 individual logs for each dog, it's fun to interact with all the pets that come into the pets hotel every day. I always enjoy watching over them and having friendly conversations with neighboring employees. It's definitely an exciting environment that doesn't get old.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Constant standing, running around and cleanup after dogs
Great Workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON7 November 2016
Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. If you like working with pets and aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, this is the workplace for you.
Positive atmosphere and people
Cat-Shelter Associate/ AssociĆ©e (Former Employee) –  Mississauga24 May 2016
-Managers and supervisors go out of their way to make everyone feel at home
-Customers are talkative and respectful
-Store was very clean and
-Co-workers are very helpful
Pros
Regular interaction with animals, very positive atmosphere
Cons
Paperwork
Love It
Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 May 2016
I love working as a PetSmart associate but it is my goal to be able to pay for my own tuition in school and the hours they are providing just aren't practical for me.
Pros
Get to meet many people and animals
Cons
limited hours per week
Awesome products, great staff
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chatham14 October 2015
Worked with fantastic people, management is amazing and will work with you to the best of their abilities. The products are great and you are always being updated on products and receive additional training if needed. You are kept up to date on on-going issues and product incentives so that you are able to help customers in the best way possible.
Pros
Staff, management, store layout
Cons
scheduling conflicts
Rewarding Animal interactions, flexible hours, limited customers interactions, low pay have to work on Holidays.
PetsHotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Innes Road Plaza, 1750 Innes Rd Gloucester, ON13 July 2015
The job is probably the best job I have had in my young life. You supervise the pets of Customers during your shift. Always making sure their rooms are clean, their water is fresh and comforting any dogs or cats that miss their owner. You will be on a walkie talkie at all times with your Petshotel Co workers so you can communicate problems. The earliest shifts start at 7 am and the latest shift ends at 9 pm.There is also Doggie Day Camp. You supervise the playroom for 1-4 hours making sure the dogs play safe, and under control. It can be loads of fun interacting with loving animals but the trade off is you're always cleaning up messes and the smell can be overpowering. Sometimes the room is relatively inactive and lacking stimulation so you can get very bored during the 3-4 hour room supervisions. At times you have to break up dog fights which can be hard to read, and can catch you completely unawares but coworkers do a great job coming to help you so you're not on your own. You also have feedings morning, noon and evening which you prepare among your co workers. Owners will come to pick up their dogs after their day of work so for about 2-3 times a day you will be hurrying around answering calls for a dog and bringing them to their owner.
The pay is minimum and the raises are slow and small. All in all I would say it was a great experience. The only reason I left is because I felt their was no room for advancement in pay or position for an ambitious person such as myself.
Pros
Flexible hours for a student, loving animals, friendly co workers, limited customer interactions. Time and a half on holidays
Cons
Low pay, have to work holidays can be very smelly, sometimes have to break up sudden dog fights.
Fun
associate (Former Employee) –  ON27 March 2015
This company treats their employees very well. They are very considerate and caring; the CARE culture really comes through even with employees. They go out of their way to give you an enjoyable job and teach new skills and keep perfecting them. I, as well as my co-workers and managers have always treated each other with mutual respect and kindness and they seem more like friends than coworkers, as everyone gets along so well and works toward company goals as a team. I am very grateful to have worked here.
Pros
pets, discount, flexible, understanding
Cons
low wages, few hours available
Excellent place for a summer job.
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Store 14033 November 2014
While nothing about working at Petsmart could really be called difficult. That said job satisfaction will vary widely depending on management and unless you are in management you will not receive enough pay to accomplish anything above subsistence living. The opportunity to help customers find solutions to pet problems is an enjoyable and satisfying experience but is often overshadowed but the very limited time there is to speak with an individual customer.
Pros
Flexible availability, easy work, educational.
Cons
Scheduling, low paying, unrewarding.
A fun job that always kept you busy
Pet Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 July 2014
My day of work would usually consist of stocking the shelves, make sure anything that wasn't on the shelves got stocked if we had it in stock. Helped the customers find what they needed and if they needed help carrying the time out would do that for them. The days were hard working, but my co-workers made it a fun time to be at work. Management was always busy dealing with orders coming in, but would also help us out if we needed it. Did their best to make sure we had what we needed to make the store run as smoothly as possible. Hardest part of the job would be when we didn't have what people wanted and not being able to satisfy their needs
Pros
Always something to do, great people to work with
Cons
Not being able to please everyone
Fun place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 May 2014
If you love animals, I can't imagine a better place to work. Fun, clean environment with opportunities for internal advancement.