PetSmart

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 664 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,527 reviews

Be Prepared to be sore and stressed out everyday

This is a hard job. You will be sore, stressed out and exhausted everyday. You have to groom, answer phone and help customers. It can be overwhelming when on a time crunch to finish the groom. Depending on your salon it can be very high school feel. Always drama or gossip happening. Some dogs are really good but others will suck energy out of you. The pay isn't enough at first. It will take about a year or two to start making decent money. Management is pretty decent. They will have your back if something happens. There isn't much home/work life balance. You are excepted to work every weekend. The discount is okay.

Pros

Tips, cute puppies, benefits

Cons

Very stressful, No home/work life balance, pay

Stress stress then blame

Petsmart as a groomer can be a cushy job, but honestly its very over whelming and people who need be be trained are getting pushed off on others instead of the management whos suppose to. I didnt mind working as a team when people and managment listened but the stress of the job isnt worth the pain after a time. if you want to be a groomer its a great place to start. but after youre done your contract dont waste time staying, go get more education and find an enviroment that isnt so toxic and isnt llike highschool. the benifits are great and double discount days 2 times a year are nice for stocking up on treats. if you break your back grooming you get paid decently. but dont mess up because you get taken to the office and talked to about your poor attitude or something like that.

Pros

grooming training for free, discounts, some clients

Cons

stressful, highschool environment, toxic, no growth, monthly videos when busy af, no life, depression after a few years, management not training properly

Nope

Toxic environment, the managers only like talking to other managers, and when they do talk to someone else it’s rude, They have favourites and are not understanding.

Pros

Staff suffers together

Cons

Everything else

Full time hours none existent

I worked at Petsmart for about a year and if you aren’t a manager you don’t get full-time hours it is very hard to live on PetSmart wage so if you work at Petsmart you will definitely need to have a second job almost all my coworkers dead on my range from 10 to 20 hours a week management was OK they weren’t terrible

Pros

Co workers are great

Cons

No hours

Run

I dreamed of working here and it destroyed me mentally . The management was brutal and cruel and the treatment of the animals was mortifying. Just run.

Pros

None run

Cons

Long hours, poor management, poor work environment, poor treatment of animals

Stressful workplace

Happiness in a store - what a nonsense! all day stress and rush. Managers are not knowledgeable for their job. huge turnover of employees. If a manager isn't your best friend prepare to be humiliated. Stay away

a very fun place to work

a very good work environment, fun management, and a wonderful first job or job while in school. very understanding that you have a life outside of work.

Fun Job With Benefits

It was a great place to work, Fun, always learning new things, good pay, great staff, flexible hours, and room for advancement. I highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a great job.

Pros

They Bought Lunches For Staff, They Are Flexible, And Good Hours, And Benefits

Cons

Have To Wait A Year For A Raise

Worst job ever

Always short staffed. Managers don't help when you page there is a huge line up or many customers needing assistance . Petsmart doesn't care about the animals. Managers only care about their bonuses. So they cut labour even more and don't order supplies needed to properly care for the animals. Hours that are supposed to be spent taking care of animals get used to stock the store instead. The poor fish never get water changed.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Short staffed always

i am the cleaner and a stocker

I like working their the only thing I have a problem is they don't train I have been cleaning for 7 years when i started stock no one trained methey don't talk to the employees

Pros

close to home

Cons

no training

Jobs at PetSmart

See more jobs

Bad

Never work at petsmart my experience was the worst I’ve ever had in job they messed up my pay twice one they could not do anything about even though it was their fault

Pros

Cons

Lots

If you have a good team, it's an okay job

Your experience at PetSmart will vary greatly depending on the group you're working with. The company keeps stores understaffed to save money. Pet care cannot complete their tasks due to being pulled for other things like cash, picking, and stocking amidst serving customers. If you're not management, your hours can fluctuate from 4h to 30h a week depending on the season and the manager. You usually get 4h shifts so they don't have to give you a break. Animal vendors frequently send ill and injured animals which are then added to pet care responsibilities for treatment. There is almost no training in terms of animals and nutrition; research on your own time or annoy your coworkers with questions.Retail already has many difficult customers but pet retail is a whole new ball game. There are several people who do not care about the necessities for animals and no matter how kind you are about educating, they will be terrible to you and their pets. We're supposed to educate customers yet cannot refuse to sell fish that grow to 16" to customers with 3gal tanks. We are cursed at for making suggestions that cost customers money or effort because they didn't mean to sign up for regularly spending money or time on the care of a living being, they just wanted a plaything or a decoration. We are given bare minimums for information which makes people think their animals can be happy in inadequate environments. If you are a water-off-a-duck's-back type of person, you would do just fine. It's certainly a retail job over an animal care job. If you want in for the animals, your heart will -

Pros

Petting puppers, helping cat rescues, sometimes people listen when you try educating, good team = good environment

Cons

Corporate nonsense, understaffed, rude customers, poor training, inadequate animal enclosures

Recommend for a student in school or for someone who wants a first time job. Fair pay for the work that is done. Management was okay but found them to cause a lot of unecessary drama and favouritism in the workplace. Most coworkers were very lovely to work with when they had independent initiative and didn't have to babysit them to get jobs done. Overall an average experience working there.

Pros

Nice coworkers

Sometimes slow work

Not really any room for growth. I worked there for 3 years and only got one decent raise and that was because I got promoted from an associate to a manger.

Pros

Free food on holidays

Cons

Lack of support from management

Great experience

I worked at PetSmart part time for 2-3 years. The environment was great and management was accommodating when requiring time off. Customers were generally pleasant.

Pros

Discounts, working with animals

19 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your life at PetSmart with us and for bettering the lives of pets! We appreciate your feedback.

Bad experience

I would not advise anyone to work here or bring their pets to this location. I worked in the grooming salon for a short period of time and it was not a pleasant experience what so ever! I wish I had not experienced or witnessed what I have. The staff and management are very condescending towards other employees and do not offer proper training. Without receiving the proper training Pet Smart employees tend be very careless and unprofessional towards animals in their care which causes dangerous and unpleasant situation's that innocent animals should never need to experience. Pet smart staff should be aware of how to care for pets properly by knowing how to preform tasks such as; being aware of stress signals the animal may show and to discontinue the service if they show any of the signs, clipping a dog/cats nails without making them bleed, ensuring they have water in their cages or making sure they do not fall off the grooming table while being attached to a noose, handling animals properly, being aware that you are not supposed to yell at an animal... sadly the list goes on of duties that Pet Smart groomers are unable to preform. Not only do they treat the animals poorly but also the staff.

Great Job for Students or Animal Lovers

Fellow employees are very welcoming and helpful to new employees which is great since teamwork is essential in this environment. If you get a good manager the job is very enjoyable. Lots of tasks to be completed daily or weekly which makes shifts go by fast! Tasks are well explained in pet care operation plans or by fellow teammates. Perfect job for anyone who has prior knowledge of animal nutrition and care. I would recommend reading up on research papers or taking an animal health course if you don’t know anything about pets already. The company does not provide in depth training that gives employees the skills to answer a lot of pet parents questions.

Pros

Good at accommodating student schedules, fair employee evaluations to determine pay and lots of helpful resources for employees.

Cons

Little to no training on pet products on pet nutrition

24 February 2021
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review. We're so happy to hear you enjoy your team and your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat about anything additional. Thank you!

Love my job.

I love working here. Wonderful group of people I work with. The management is always accommodating when it comes to my home life/appointments and other things that require my attention. Each person works together to make our jobs as smooth as possible. Excellent communication between Managers and Associates. We all work hard to ensure our animals are healthy and safe. If any one of us feel that we cannot sell to a person for any reason our management always backs our decision to do so because we are looking for the best interest of our little friends. Thanks for making this an amazing experience!!!

Pros

Friendly staff, get to interact with the animals, management often treats staff members, fun environment

Cons

entitled customers

17 February 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoyed your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

Animal abuse, unfair treatment from managers

Do not work here unless you're comfortable watching animals suffer in bad living conditions and be sold to people who don't know how and aren't willing to learn how to care for them. Always pressured to make the sale, even though we were allowed to refuse a sale for safety reasons other employees or management would go ahead and make the sale anyways. I saw many animals die, from cats to reptiles to birds to fish to small animals. Management does not care about the animals, they only care about sales. They will also make you do hard labour every shift but pay you the same amount as the person who stands at the cash register.

Pros

Pandemic pizza parties

Cons

No hazard pay, witness animal abuse, you always just get a candy bar instead of a raise

17 February 2021
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review. We'd enjoy getting to speak to you further about a few of the things you mentioned above, as this is not in line with our values. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693.

Learning to work with new animals the only plus!

Management picks favs. They don't take animals to vets fast enough. They accept animals from breeders way too small and most of them don't make it since the enclosures are not adequate. Head office only cares for sales not animal health. People are not certified to work with the medical conditions some animals require and they higher people with no animal knowledge so there's tons of misinformation being told to customers and it's up to the staff to research better care of the animals. If you love animals it will break your spirit. They higher people who don't even give meds just so they can leave on time and management doesn't help when dealing with hostile customers or seem to help enforce covid procedures to protect staff and customers. If you live with vulnerable people DO NOT WORK HERE DURING A PANDEMIC! Oh and don't expect to get all the breaks you're entitled to except lunch since you have to swipe out for it.

Pros

May fall in love with some of the animals

Cons

No paid breaks, covid procedures null, high stress, lots of breakdowns from not getting breaks and exhaustion

17 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review. We're sorry that this was your experience and would like to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat a bit more. Thanks again!

Horrible

All they care about is the money at petsmart not the well being of the animals so uneducated on animal care it’s sad, when customers are rude to you, you can’t stick up for your self which I find so wrong, someone can treat you so bad and nothing will be done about it, this is why I found my own way of making money f*** working for people that don’t treat you right

Pros

Cons

People being to stupid to understand basic animal care

9 February 2021

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7K
3.1K
2.5K
1.2K
1.1K

3.0Job security/advancement

Compare PetSmart with

• PetSmart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?