PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 430 reviews matching the search See all 7,342 reviews
Good if you like boring low pay jobs
Pet Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 January 2019
Playing with the dogs is fun, but if you're constantly in the playroom, it gets boring very quick. The dogs seem very bored, most of them didn't want to play, and a lot of them cried. They don't get to go outside, so I feel bad for the ones who are there for a long time. You're also on display. All the customers can watch you, and can irritate the dogs by banging on the glass. Staff was nice for the most part, but there weren't a lot of us when needed. The management wasn't nice and drained everyone of their moral. So, if you like stagnant jobs that endanger you (being bitten, dealing with hazardous materials, bodily fluids, etc.) for minimum wage, then maybe you'll like this one.
Pros
flexible schedule, playing with animals, see many different dog breeds, paid 15 minute breaks, nice fellow associates
Cons
half hour lunch, constant dirty clothes, dealing with potentially dangerous animals, bad management, tiny employee discount, bad pay, no raise, stress, high employee turnover rate
Terrible company to work for
Stylist Apprentice/Groomer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON21 December 2018
Might be fine if you’re just part-time because I didn’t mind the job as a bather, although you are getting paid min. wage for a job that deserves WAY MORE than that. Academy was a nice experience. But working as a full time groomer, again at min. wage until you’re done your 200 dogs (which is so little for how hard this job is), was stressful to the point where it affected me outside of the workplace and nobody in management had any solution for me after trying to go on a short leave and asking to transfer stores. I did not feel like I received enough training and supervision when I was working as a brand new groomer. I worked a couple months without a salon manager to guide me during my 200 dogs and had to teach many things to myself. When a manager finally did start working in the salon, I felt too pressured to know the things I couldn’t teach myself, and I was behind where I should have been at my point in the transition (from groomer trainee to SIT I think?), so it was time to go up in # of dogs per day but I honestly wasn’t ready. Speed or skill wise. I really didn’t know what the solution was, however I wanted to extend my options. However, when I requested the store transfer, I was told the job would be stressful at any location. Didn’t want to break my contract but couldn’t bare to go to work anymore. I have never experienced major anxiety before this job and I went to counselling to try to get over the anxiety, because it was definitely situational. After two sessions with two different counsellors, they basically told me they had heard the same things being said about  more... working at Petsmart grooming from multiple other people and the best option might be to just quit. So, I did, and I am so much happier at my new job, I can’t believe I worked there as long as I did now that I get to experience a less stressful environment where your colleagues in management actually support you and you get paid what you deserve.  less
Pros
Good benefits, vacation
Cons
Low pay, stressful, lack of support
Proffessional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2018
With such a large company that claims to have an open door policy, the stores management falls through the cracks. Very immature management, clique like among the managers, and their opinions of their employees flip on a dime! Then when it comes down to it, its your word against theirs.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers, Animals
Cons
Management, Lack of Employee support
a bit problematic.
Pet Stylist/Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 November 2018
this may be a lengthy review but please read if you’re considering working here. i feel like 2 stars is generous, but because i was so happy when i first started this job, it deserves at least some recognition.

I’ve been working at Petsmart for almost 3 years now, a bather for 1, and a groomer for almost 2. i used to be in love with my job, i would be excited to come to work. the people, the environment and the job itself made me SO happy. then i started grooming. management for the most part is horrible, almost petty like high school. once i started grooming, the environment changed completely. Petsmart has a great academy program to START grooming but once you have the training, get out of there as fast as you can. they only care about numbers and money, and are very inconsistent with rules and policies. 6 groomers have quit since i started working at this location, 4 of which were still on “contract” when they quit, which is another issue. they scare you into signing a 2 year contract, worth 5000-6000$, (including a tool kit which is nice) but won’t act apon it if you quit. as per inconsistency, all of my co workers and i have had different prices on our “contracts” which goes to show the professionalism of the company. a girl i went to the academy with didn’t even have to sign a contract. if you like the corporate structure, this might be the job for you, but i personally HATE grooming like an assembly line. i can comfortably groom 5-6 dogs in a 8 hour shift, but would get in trouble if i didn’t reach company standard of at least 8 a day. they say each dogs appointment
  more... is 2-3 hours, yet i’m expected to fully bathe, brush and completely groom 8 dogs, take two fifteen minute breaks, and an unpaid half an hour lunch all within 8 hours, and i rarely get my 15s anyways. they say safety is their top priority and to take as long as you need to finish a groom. i take pride in my grooms and would like a haircut to look nice if it’s representing my work and my name. yet, i am also expected to rush to be able to fit more dogs in my schedule. dealing with rude customers is inevitable no matter where you work but dealing with dog people might not be my thing. management is my biggest issue with this job so i don’t mean to put down the entire company, it may have just been my location that was problematic. money is another issue too. i know home groomers that make money beyond their wildest dreams yet i am making barely over minimum wage, unless i commission out, which is rare. the benefits are okay and it’s nice to have paid sick/vacation/discretionary days, but it is definitely not worth what i’ve been through.  less
Pros
Guaranteed half an hour lunch breaks, great academy program, benifits, working with dogs.
Cons
everything else
Great Staff
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2018
Lots of fun dog grooming.
Flexible hours.
Great commission rate and full benefits.
Supportive management team.
Positive work environment.
Opportunities to move up.
Not Worth The Money.
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2019
Working with animals is hard and stressful which is why most places will pay you above minimum wage to do so. My first day there was met with multiple people telling me they were unhappy to be there and didn't feel comfortable with what they were being asked to do. Also was immediately told I would not get benefits unless the managers decided they like me. I was told someone who was a senior member for 5+ years was still fighting for their benefits while this girl who had only been there 1 year was allowed to have them. As someone else mentioned, you are on display for all of the customers and they really have no common sense, allowing their children to bang on the glass and watch as the dogs viciously bark at their kid. They need to have signs on the glass that discourage the customers from interacting with the dogs. This does nothing but create tension in the room, all of the dogs will start to crowd the glass and they all become easily agitated from the energy in the room. The turnover rate is high and because of that there is a serious lack of proper training. No one there really knows how to handle being in a room filled with dogs. They are simply given a spray bottle with water and told to use it.
Pros
They were quite diligent with breaks and making sure everyone got all their breaks, I worked with some nice people, met some really awesome dogs
Cons
Serious lack of communication, Not enough proper training, 8 hour shifts in playroom 3-5 days a week. these NEED to be split up with the other duties, Minimum wage, Benefits are hard to get regardless of seniority.
Cashier/Customer Service/ Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 August 2018
One of my favorite places to work! Especially if you love animals. Hours are very different from one day to the next. Good job for students and people without children
Good company benefits. Very rewarding job, you learn so many things about different pets, knowledgeable in different departments such as cashier, small animals, pet care, dog training and grooming. Room for advancement I was a cashier and moved up to the grooming salon. One of my favorite jobs! Would definitely work here again
Pros
Awesome customers, meet different animals
Cons
Unpredictable hours, must be available day and night to cover shifts
My two years at petsmart
Pets Hotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON28 January 2019
Typical day at work was fun and rewarding, you got to interact with many good customers and very well trained dogs. What I've learnt from PetSmart was helpful to my next step in my career. Management was always there to go above and beyond to help you and teach you things. The work place was always what made it hard to come to work. It always felt like a competition back there and we are supposed to be a team. The most enjoyable part of the job were the dogs and some of your team members. You really feel like a family when you grove with the right people in the hotel.
Pros
discounts, working with animals in the hotel.
Cons
long hours, missed breaks, very rude work environment at times.
to work and to enjoy my time with pets
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 July 2018
i know that pet smart is the greatest place to work in and also working there is fun and the salary is high and it close to my house and i love pets and
Pros
of having free lunch
Cons
6 hour
Accepting and inclusive workplace with great chance for advancement
Senior/NIght Petcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2018
This company is amazing to employees, the benefits for full time employees are amazing! If you are looking for an inclusive and fun work place, this is perfect.
Pros
great benefits, amazing culture

Want to know more about PetSmart?

Ask a question
High pressure, low pay, low/negative moral from the top down
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 January 2019
Negative
No work life balance
No respect for associates from management
Long hours that we're never compensated for
Zero respect for customers
Zero respect for the animals
Pros
Cons
Long hours, unpaid, no work life Balance, upper management DM and above we're negative
Great stepping stone
Groomer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 November 2018
able to easily go to different department and gives lots of training everywhere you go. staff and management in positive moods and is always giving their best knowledge to customers.
Pros
job advancement
Cons
shift work
Not the best but not horrid
Merchandise Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 January 2019
Part time shifts are usually only 4 hours a day and can vary from 10 hr/wk up to 32 hr/wk never a guaranteed amount. Full time it's 8 hours every day and non stop work always 40-44 hr/wk. It's not all about the animals, very customer focused place. No incentives for loyal employees, they do accommodate school schedules but with try to call you in every day your off. It's a decent job if you stay as just a regular associtae, once you move up it's very demanding with little to no support. Staff is usually nice and good to work with.
Pros
Schedule accommodation
Cons
Very demanding, little hours, unproductive management.
Animal interaction
SUPPORT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 January 2019
PetSmart is a retail company that offers a lot of quality merchandise for all different pet owners. The culture of the workplace is strained at times due to the demands of the business and management. But if you have a passion for pets this is the place to be. Petsmart has many tools to offer the new associate to give them the confidence of knowledge from food, product and pets. They also have a great adoption imitative programs with SPCA and PETSAVE.
Pros
Animal interaction, 2 week guaranty in live stock
Cons
Part-time only, to many tasks inposed on associates, upselling, minimum wage
Fun Work Environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 October 2018
Great place to work, friendly coworkers, approachable management, good pay, and straight forward job requirements.

Flexible schedule and a place to learn something new every day.

As a pet care associate you are very hands-on with the animals which can be a lot of fun, and teaching customers about their needs and how to care for them can be very rewarding.
Lots of cleaning, but easy to do, and makes the day just fly by.
Pros
Flexible, fun, comfortable
Cons
Not much room for advancement
fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2018
Competitive salary, continued education, good benefits, good employee discounts. Great customer connections. fun place to work especially on weekends with all the dogs coming into the store
Would not recommend
Sales associate/cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 September 2018
My first couple days I was plopped on a computer for training, and whenever I had a question I was treated like I was bothering them. I was yelled at for not knowing things I hadn't been taught, and was yelled at for doing exactly what I was told. Was fired for a complaint a customer supposedly made about me, from a day when I wasn't even working. Was never told my position was seasonal and turned down 2 other positions. It had its fun points but in general it's not worth working here.
Pros
Get to pet animals, discount
Cons
Management is HORRIBLE
Fun enviroment
Early Morning Stocker and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 March 2018
Awesome place to work, but you must put in enough time as a part time employee before full time is available. Pet smart also does not pay very much even as a salary manager. But extremely relaxed and friendly environment.
Loved my time there, wasn't my career
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON2 January 2019
Petsmart was a fun part time job for me while I was in school. I loved seeing the animals everyday, there's a little bit of drama in the workplace, especially in the salon but besides that, the job is good. Seeing dogs everyday is definitely a good way to stay in a good mood.
Pros
Dogs, Cats, Hours, Big break room
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB24 January 2019
Very positive atmosphere to work in, other staff and management is fantastic to work with. Best work environment i have yet to work in. Its a place you can enjoy coming to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K