PetSmart

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Pet smart is a great company and I had the best time working with the dogs in the doggy daycare. However, management in the store I worked at (Ottawa East) has poor judgement and some of them treat their employees with a passive aggressive attitude. The manager in the pet’s hotel is frowned upon in the ENTIRE store and is known for making up rules as she goes and putting on a fake attitude for the customers. Treats her employees like they are inferior. Doesn’t practice the safety techniques she teaches when welcoming a new pet to the facility. If it wasn’t for the manager, the job would be 5 stars.
Pros
Dogs and cats
Cons
The manager’s poor attitude, not paid enough for the work we do
Official response from PetSmart
28 October 2020
Hello, thanks for taking the time to review and share with us! Please know, we take your concerns seriously and would love to connect with you so that we can help. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to talk more with us.
I worked at PetSmart for over a year now. It definitely depends on the store location you get hired at. I helped out at another store for a few days and it was the worst experience. You just have to hope you get a good location with good management. Very hit and miss.
Cons
having hours is hit or miss
Some of The manager And kinda lazy but over all are good, it is a busy job so you will not just be sitting around they will always keep you busy the wage is minimum unless you work your checks off to earn a higher paying position but that will always come with a-lot more responsibility.
Pros
30min Lunch 15min break
Cons
It’s a lot of heavy lifting
don’t work here. i worked as a sales associate and as a groomer apprentice and both times older employees were allowed to bully and harass you without repercussion. management doesn’t care about staff at all.
Pros
dogs
Cons
literally everything
Puppies, kitties, small animals...OH MY. Honestly if you love animals but can also do your task at hand this is a great place to work. The management is awesome! You get small but motivating incentives for your job wel done, constructive feedback when you need improvement, and open communication with all leaders and management personnel.
Pros
Great managers, you get to see animals all day long, you are part of something much bigger than a pet store.
Cons
Shorter shifts, fast paced, cant play with animals.
When it's a busier day then it's great to be there, the hours fly by. On slower days, depending on your position, it can be limited. Being on cash, you very quickly run out of things to do. Your hours are also not guaranteed to be great, some weeks you'll get 25 and others, they'll saddle you with 10. I didn't find that I was making enough money to get by on my own.
Pros
The employees are great, and the customers tend to be really friendly and easy to assist.
Cons
The hours are not consistent enough.
Many of the employees at PetSmart seem to be there because they want to work alongside animals. You will be expected to be able to help out with whatever your manager wants you to as well as help customers
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Tight schedule
This was one of the best work environments I have ever worked in and was very enjoyable. I enjoyed the team building and the customers as well. My days were often busy because I worked in the salon and it was fast-paced but I really enjoyed every minute. Management was even great.
Working in the grooming salon and the manager knew nothing about grooming. Manager would use my phrases to talk to staff because I had to motivate my own co workers because management didnt.
Pros
Some co workers were nice and the pets
Cons
Egos, bullies, and company wants young people so are against anyone over 40
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at PetSmart?
The management was very poor. Manager was mean and dismissive. I was sent to work in the animal area with no training. This happened often, even after I expressed my concern.
Don’t even know where to start. This job started out great and I found my love of dog grooming but I will be taking my skills someplace else. There is no way you get to branch out an learn new skills. All you learn is how to shave a dog down short and boot it out the door as FAST as possible. There is no time for personable connection with the pet and customer and there is a crazy amount of pressure put on your plate as you have to be grooming at least 2-3 dogs at ONE time Aka you have dogs sitting in a kennel for a long time and I don’t find that morally right. Management has gotten worse and I have finally left due to all of the abuse we are put through. I’m sad to say a job I loved has made me resent this company
Pros
Was fun till it got bad
Cons
Pay is ridiculously low considering how much work you do as a dog groomer, No support from management, HR is a load of bull
I highly enjoyed my time working at petsmart, everyone was very kind and helpful. Getting comfortable in the job took virtually no time at all. Would absolutely become a part of the team again in the future.
My job roles involved cashier, warehouse work and customer service. It was a pretty chill job. The schedule can be tough on you sometimes though. Work can be easy or hard depending on your role. The pay is minimum wage so keep that in mind when you apply.
I have worked at Petsmart for over a year in two separate locations. All I can say is that if the managers you are working with aren't the best then your time at Petsmart is going to be even worse
They want to get a lot done with very little labour allotment. Always trying to strip the schedule to the absolute bare minimum to have the fewest staff members on site while completing a disproportionate amount of work.
The store manager is amazing. Cashier, pet care, and stock is full of great people. I do not recommend working in the salon. The salon manager is extremely difficult to get along with.
I personally had a terrible experience working for PetSmart. Animals weren't treated very nicely by the company. Almost no support from other departments. Was paid almost $10 an hour less then the manager below me and then got fired when I found out through other staff. Do not waste your time here unless you feel like getting treated like dirt by your area manager.
Experience working at the company will vary by location (as it does everywhere else) but I've had nothing but good experiences working here. Company policies are up to date, especially when working in Pet Care. Managers are constantly on top of everything and ensuring store is running smoothly. Very fast paced environment, there is ALWAYS something to do (but there are quiet moments). Not much opportunity for moving up in company, unless you are a manager.
The job was fantastic, I loved working in the salon. It gave me the chance to do what I loved which was working with animals. But as soon as conflict started happening in the workplace, I found out quickly how the manager doesn’t like to get involved. When I made an HR complaint, they also didn’t want to get involved, even though I was crying daily at work and getting bullied. I quit immediately after. They do not care about your wellbeing.
Best part about this place was meeting new pups every day. Keep in mind you’re dealing with a variety of different dogs so they aren’t all angels. If you want to work with animals and aren’t that concerned about your wage, apply!
Company will pick and choose when to follow processes and policies depending on how it benefits the management. Don't make any long-term plans because job security doesn't exist. Management will fly in and fire people with little to no notice. You could give your entire life to this company at the end of the day you're just a number.