PetSmart
Here to help: Coronavirus update

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Canada622 reviews
Its a solid place to work
I have worked at Petsmart for over a year in two separate locations. All I can say is that if the managers you are working with aren't the best then your time at Petsmart is going to be even worse
Fast paced, heavy workload
They want to get a lot done with very little labour allotment.

Always trying to strip the schedule to the absolute bare minimum to have the fewest staff members on site while completing a disproportionate amount of work.
The store manager is amazing. Cashier, pet care, and stock is full of great people. I do not recommend working in the salon. The salon manager is extremely difficult to get along with.
Terrible place to work
I personally had a terrible experience working for PetSmart. Animals weren't treated very nicely by the company. Almost no support from other departments. Was paid almost $10 an hour less then the manager below me and then got fired when I found out through other staff. Do not waste your time here unless you feel like getting treated like dirt by your area manager.
Amazing place to work
Experience working at the company will vary by location (as it does everywhere else) but I've had nothing but good experiences working here. Company policies are up to date, especially when working in Pet Care. Managers are constantly on top of everything and ensuring store is running smoothly. Very fast paced environment, there is ALWAYS something to do (but there are quiet moments). Not much opportunity for moving up in company, unless you are a manager.
Alright if you enjoy mistreatment
The job was fantastic, I loved working in the salon. It gave me the chance to do what I loved which was working with animals. But as soon as conflict started happening in the workplace, I found out quickly how the manager doesn’t like to get involved. When I made an HR complaint, they also didn’t want to get involved, even though I was crying daily at work and getting bullied. I quit immediately after. They do not care about your wellbeing.
Enjoyed working with dogs
Best part about this place was meeting new pups every day. Keep in mind you’re dealing with a variety of different dogs so they aren’t all angels. If you want to work with animals and aren’t that concerned about your wage, apply!
Company is Shady at best
Company will pick and choose when to follow processes and policies depending on how it benefits the management. Don't make any long-term plans because job security doesn't exist. Management will fly in and fire people with little to no notice. You could give your entire life to this company at the end of the day you're just a number.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at PetSmart?
Informative and fun workplace with many opportunities
Most days are spent cleaning and caring for the animal enclosures and providing information to customers about animal care for a variety of species. Each day is a new learning experience, whether it is about animal behaviour or their environmental needs. It is very enjoyable helping a family collect everything they need for a new pet. The managers are friendly and are always there to help you succeed, making it a very pleasant work environment. It has taught me how to approach many different scenarios and be innovative in regards to customer service and animal care.
Good
Every job has challenges and you either love it or you don’t. They have fair pay and great benefits but it’s hard work. Very busy and heavy lifting daily
Don't care about you
Salon is so busy that we are expected to work through paid breaks. Management is nice but they aren't very good. Hard to respect people who don't know what they are doing. Pay is terrible, can't live on it. Customers treat you poorly. Job is physically demanding and can be painful.
Good for morning people
Good job for those that like early mornings and not a lot of interaction with the public
Clean, professional environment

Good for those that can manage time and also have the ability to do light lifting
Pros
Early start
Cons
Early start
The animals are great...but that’s about it
Coworkers and customers are wonderful. Get to see animals daily. Management SUCKS! Because of corporate cutbacks, hours are minimal. Expect to only get 4-8
hours per week once your training is done. You will love management until you hear what they are saying behind your back. Lots of opportunity for advancement if you don’t mind selling your soul.
Very nice work environment
The managers and coworkers were nice and very easy to get along with. The job was fast-paced and stressful at times, but I very much enjoyed this job.
Management makes the difference.
I love my petsmart. My store leader is awesome. Our new assistant store leader is... Not much of a leader. The district leader seems okay but I don't really work with her. But. Petsmart doesn't care about my personal effort, only my review. They held back bonuses for covid and dint offer any incentives. They keep cutting hours but adding tasks.
Pros
Animals. Neat coworkers
Cons
The company doesn't care about the workers in store, A lot of problems and tons of expectations on minimum wage workers.
fast pace
Depending on what you came into for it could either go fast or slow, sometimes it would be busy, sometimes it would not be so busy, it was great to work with the animals if were able to
Great place to work while in school
Good place to work with low drama. Minimum wage and didn't get the three month evaluation like you're supposed to to discuss a small raise, however it is a good environment and a really good place to work part time when in school.
Depends on management
I was hired in the salon as a bather. Never fully trained yet they expected me to know everything. Unrealistic amount of work for one person. They design it to fail. Three other bathers quit around the same time as me. I wanted to be a groomer very badly but I was there for 2 years and it never happened. I regret staying so long.
Poor place to work for long term
Poor hours, poor pay, just not enough time at properly do the tasks given. No hour flexibility. One manager was very bad. Not enough tools given to efficiently do the job. No room for advancement without investing in this company that doesn't want to invest in you. Poor work environment, no one wants to be there. Would not suggest working here unless desperate.
Its okay
Working here as a morning stock/cashier. The mornings are unorganized and can be stressful as the work never seems to be split evenly among people. Management doesn't seem to care enough to find proper people that are willing to work fast and smart to stock the shelves properly. It is a nice brainless job for the mornings though and I do enjoy it. Working during opening hours is a lot better although the floor stays messy from the morning and is not a great feeling to have customers walking around things left around. Management doesn't give enough hours to early morning stockers or have enough people working to always get the truck loads done which is frustrating.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Low pay, not so great management, No review process, Not really able to move up anywhere, Very strict on hours
Work Experience
I enjoyed working here in the salon, it was a great experience. I learned so many new things and i would recommend working here to anybody. They do a great job at what they do.