PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 412 reviews matching the search See all 7,042 reviews
I regret applying at PetSmart. Very Discouraging and Disappointing
Professional Groomer/PetStylist/SIT (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 December 2018
I completely regret working here. Disappointing and Discouraging and Disheartening. I found training at PetSmart did not prepare me to work at other grooming salons. Training at this particular location did not even prepare me to work at PetSmart. Applying here was difficult and time consuming, 3+ months including the background check. For some reason I wasn’t getting the all the emails, even though my email address was confirmed by me and accurate. Finally getting through hiring process the computer troubles continued and it was difficult for me to sign in and get started, taking even more time. Getting through that and on to the first day working, tools were not available for me to complete my computer training completely, ie a completely working computer, on the days I was scheduled to do my computer training, the completely working computer was double booked and I was pressured to rush through it anyway, using a computer that had no sound and not being able to listen or watch all the safety and training videos. Starting in the salon, tools were not available for me to do my job, ie a grooming table to work on, so poorly prepared they were for another groomer to work there. Even though they knew over 3 months ahead a new groomer was coming. I felt my own personal grooming tools were not safe as the drawers in my stand did not lock and I was never given a key. The work environment there is anything but calm. Completely chaotic. Toxic. As a new employee the on the job safety training is non existent and if you make any mistakes as a brand new employee they come down on you  more... super hard. The salon manager didn’t seem to think it was her job to teach me any salon safety and when questioned about this just shrugged her shoulders at the Store Manager. Completely Unpredictable. My pay amount was not kept safe and confidential by the salon manager as it was supposed to, she left on the printer and went home and another coworker found it, we had already been talked to when I started as an experienced groomer I was being paid substantially more that the other groomers and wages were not to be discussed, or there would be write ups. The SM has a lot of personal problems and brings her life problems to work with her, she encourages other staff members to do the same. Daily drama. The schedule is supposed to be done 6 weeks ahead but changes constantly and completely without notice, often a day or just a few days or maybe week ahead. Morale is very low and coworkers are always late and often calling in sick. Dogs grooming appointments are often cancelled because of the constantly changing schedule etc, I have never seen so many cancelled appointments and the customers complain about it constantly. One week is booked solid the next it’s completed dead so it’s very hard to make any money here. I took a demotion and a large pay cut to work at PetSmart and was promised 40 hrs but never worked a full 40, despite completely open avail and being on the on call list, instead I would be told to stay home as it wasn’t busy or go home early because it’s dead. Often I’d miss my lunch break because it was busy or because of poor scheduling and I was pressured to write it down anyway that I took it, now I’m barely making min wage. I never got any 15 min breaks. Head office seemed to have a lot of trouble keeping track of online information and the online tests I had done and I had to retake them several times and even complete the online safety test over 4 times and then finally print it out of the computer to show I had completed it. As a new employee I was under supported and even scheduled to work busy days, ie Saturdays, alone with another new employee, who struggled to do her job. Stressful. I found safety policies were broken by SM and coworkers of a reg daily basis. In my experience the SM and Managers don’t even know all the policies. And on top of that the policies can change based on customer complaints too, as a result of the policies not being followed, ie proper check in by other staff, and there will be new policies without proper communication or training. All adding to the stress.
The SM and staff seem think it is productive and/or funny to get the dogs really excited to the point where it is hard to work on them, using high squeaky voices etc, while I’m trying to check in a dog or do a walk-in nail trim, but it makes it hard to do your job safely and well. There were a lot of customer complaints and a lot of unhappy customers. It is very unnecessarily stressful here. There was very little training or support to do my job and it was very hard to get help if working on a challenging dog. Huge lack of teamwork. Bulling from the SM and Managers exists and favouritism is certainly present as well. Communication is very poor, I found instructions would not be clear. I definitely would not recommend working here, there is better training and better work environments, I think one star is generous, but mandatory, I guess it is a job. I absolutely love working with customers and dogs and grooming, it is a completely rewarding job, I have worked at bigger busy salons and smaller busy salons and been very happy. I found that working at PetSmart was very disappointing and discouraging and I didn’t feel set up to succeed at all, far too many problems there.
Pros
Effort made on staff room which was appreciated:)
Cons
Everything else
If you’re in the click your good otherwise...........
Grooming salon leader (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC9 December 2018
The rest of the leaders @ this location would not back me up with any problems with the salon staff. Most of the girls were aloud to do what they wanted. Sitting on their grooming tables, texting any time they wanted. Hands on pet was something that was rarely followed which meant they didn’t have control over the dog on their table, but the other leaders wouldn’t back me up
Standard corporate retail work
PetCare Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2018
Management is often distant, won’t take responsible for issues.
Very little communication up and within ranks.
Demanding customers often place you in stressful situations.
Corporate sets unobtainable sales goals.
Staff aren't trained on in-store tools effectively.
Pros
Too easy to get into
Cons
Little incentive to educate yourself on pets & products, also little training on animals
decent place to work
bather (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 December 2018
the job is good because youre with dogs all day, and if youre working there you must love animals. as a bather, i help out the groomers a lot and some of them tend to think they are "better" than the bathers and treat them poorly. other than that the job is great. it would be better if it paid more than minimum wage though
Pros
dogs, busy days
Cons
minimum wage
Good to learn grooming
Bather/Groomer Trainee (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 December 2018
The salon is great, wage is minimum but if you are lucky enough to go to academy for grooming you can will be switched to comissioning out (40% of what you do, then 50% of what you do after 1 year) Academy is completely free training although you have to sign a 2 year contract with petsmart. Employee discount is also great 15% off everything, 30% of salon tools if you are a bather/groomer. Management sucks though... they always change policies to try to counter the negative criticism about petsmart grooming, but its a little rediculous. Moreover they do not take well to you being sick nor asking for time off.
Pros
Employee discount. Grooming academy.
Proffessional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2018
With such a large company that claims to have an open door policy, the stores management falls through the cracks. Very immature management, clique like among the managers, and their opinions of their employees flip on a dime! Then when it comes down to it, its your word against theirs.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers, Animals
Cons
Management, Lack of Employee support
very fun workplace and the love for animals
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2018
Petsmart was a great place to work. I loved working with most of the animals. The staff was all like family. We as staff members all have become very close even to this day most of us are still close.
Productive and fun work environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 November 2018
Fun work environment, constantly around fuzzie creatures which is always a plus. Management are very understandable when it comes to last minute shift changes, etc.
na
Merchandise & Inventory Leader (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 November 2018
Good company to work for,care about associates. Been here for years and enjoy my job. Getting to interact with pets and pet parents make for some fun days. Very involved in adoption events
Exactly what you would anticipate
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 November 2018
Low pay. Low morale. Poor employee discount. Would have thought that they would want employees to use and support products with honest reviews. Nice to work with animals. Minimal animal welfare standards BUT spent a lot on vet care.
Great Place to Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
Working at Petsmart was a great overall job. The management was great, the customers were great. Petsmart is a very welcoming community, where the love for animals is fantastic. The dedication towards the customers as well as the employees is very overwhelming,
Pros
Cons
Heavy Lifting
Great stepping stone
Groomer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 November 2018
able to easily go to different department and gives lots of training everywhere you go. staff and management in positive moods and is always giving their best knowledge to customers.
Pros
job advancement
Cons
shift work
a bit problematic.
Pet Stylist/Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 November 2018
this may be a lengthy review but please read if you’re considering working here. i feel like 2 stars is generous, but because i was so happy when i first started this job, it deserves at least some recognition.

I’ve been working at Petsmart for almost 3 years now, a bather for 1, and a groomer for almost 2. i used to be in love with my job, i would be excited to come to work. the people, the environment and the job itself made me SO happy. then i started grooming. management for the most part is horrible, almost petty like high school. once i started grooming, the environment changed completely. Petsmart has a great academy program to START grooming but once you have the training, get out of there as fast as you can. they only care about numbers and money, and are very inconsistent with rules and policies. 6 groomers have quit since i started working at this location, 4 of which were still on “contract” when they quit, which is another issue. they scare you into signing a 2 year contract, worth 5000-6000$, (including a tool kit which is nice) but won’t act apon it if you quit. as per inconsistency, all of my co workers and i have had different prices on our “contracts” which goes to show the professionalism of the company. a girl i went to the academy with didn’t even have to sign a contract. if you like the corporate structure, this might be the job for you, but i personally HATE grooming like an assembly line. i can comfortably groom 5-6 dogs in a 8 hour shift, but would get in trouble if i didn’t reach company standard of at least 8 a day. they say each dogs appointment
  more... is 2-3 hours, yet i’m expected to fully bathe, brush and completely groom 8 dogs, take two fifteen minute breaks, and an unpaid half an hour lunch all within 8 hours, and i rarely get my 15s anyways. they say safety is their top priority and to take as long as you need to finish a groom. i take pride in my grooms and would like a haircut to look nice if it’s representing my work and my name. yet, i am also expected to rush to be able to fit more dogs in my schedule. dealing with rude customers is inevitable no matter where you work but dealing with dog people might not be my thing. management is my biggest issue with this job so i don’t mean to put down the entire company, it may have just been my location that was problematic. money is another issue too. i know home groomers that make money beyond their wildest dreams yet i am making barely over minimum wage, unless i commission out, which is rare. the benefits are okay and it’s nice to have paid sick/vacation/discretionary days, but it is definitely not worth what i’ve been through.  less
Pros
Guaranteed half an hour lunch breaks, great academy program, benifits, working with dogs.
Cons
everything else
Great Staff
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2018
Lots of fun dog grooming.
Flexible hours.
Great commission rate and full benefits.
Supportive management team.
Positive work environment.
Opportunities to move up.
Former Bather Bayview, Aurora Ontario
Dog Bather/Groomer Assistan (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON28 October 2018
Petsmarts is not a heathy environment to work
Very toxic staff and management. There are not a equal employment, There is lots of Favoritismo .
Bullying is very topical things , and you can complain all you want they will manage you out ! They don’t care about the dogs is all at front .
Pros
The dogs
Cons
Terrible place to work
not good
Grooming trainee (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 October 2018
Loved what i did working with the animals but the company makes it horrible and will blind side you on anything they can they take advantage of their staff
Productive work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 October 2018
helping customers getting supplies for their pets
i learned about the different brands of food they offer pets
most enjoyable is seeing the pets that came in
hardest part of job was dealing with the cat litter stock
Pros
meeting the pets
Cons
having to deal with cat litter
cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON16 October 2018
really good work environment , not a whole lot of hours but hours can be picked up. Being cross trained in every department is a very good thing to have, so you can pick up extra shifts. Not many full time options but the pets and the pet parents make working at petsmart great!
Pros
pets and petparents
Cons
not enough hours
The only good part of working there is taking care of the animals.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2018
Management doesn't care about the employees. They care about the business and nothing else. They take advantage of their workers and only care about the sales.
Fun Work Environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 October 2018
Great place to work, friendly coworkers, approachable management, good pay, and straight forward job requirements.

Flexible schedule and a place to learn something new every day.

As a pet care associate you are very hands-on with the animals which can be a lot of fun, and teaching customers about their needs and how to care for them can be very rewarding.
Lots of cleaning, but easy to do, and makes the day just fly by.
Pros
Flexible, fun, comfortable
Cons
Not much room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

52K