PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 380 reviews matching the search See all 6,521 reviews
Horrible place to work!
Dog Day Camp Facilitator (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON16 August 2018
Horrible place to work! And horrible for the pets in their care. Don't work there. These people don't give a rat's dropping about their employees, the pets and the work environment/safety. Petsmart kills (and mains/damages) pets!
Cons
A fun and interesting work place
Cashier and Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2018
On the average day I got the chance to work with customers on the sales floor as well as at the cash register. You're not stuck in one place all day, which really helps the day go faster. Since it was a pet store, I got to see animals almost every few minutes no matter the day. The managers were reliable and open-minded, as well as willing to work with employees rather than leaving them to work alone. It is a team atmosphere, I never felt like I was fending for myself.
Pros
The animals
Cons
There isn't much down time, breaks can be missed due to rushes and poor scheduling
Cashier/Customer Service/ Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 August 2018
One of my favorite places to work! Especially if you love animals. Hours are very different from one day to the next. Good job for students and people without children
Good company benefits. Very rewarding job, you learn so many things about different pets, knowledgeable in different departments such as cashier, small animals, pet care, dog training and grooming. Room for advancement I was a cashier and moved up to the grooming salon. One of my favorite jobs! Would definitely work here again
Pros
Awesome customers, meet different animals
Cons
Unpredictable hours, must be available day and night to cover shifts
PetSmart Volunteer
Cat Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 August 2018
A while back i worked here and i enjoyed it because i was able to help cats (feed them and clean them), that is the main reason I took this "job". It was also a great experience to see how many people were helping as well
Always a productive workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 August 2018
PETSMART is like most other large companies in that the work is only as much fun as you put into it. If you like your co-workers, the work is pretty fun. Most of my managers were like-able and understood what it was like to be in a Stock Associate's shoes, and would regularly work with us on tasks instead of "ordering us around".

The shifts always started at 5am which was way too early, but for the store to be stocked by the time customers get there, that is probably the best way to do it. There was always more work to be done, no matter what department you worked in, and rarely a lack of shifts. Every now and then people would be asked to do an overnight shift for a special stock order, and they weren't as bad as one would think.

Overall, PETSMART is a pretty good place to work if you're looking for a low-level job during college or university, especially as a Stock Associate or Cashier.
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
working with animals is wonderful the customers are great as well
never enough labour which makes it hard to give good customer service. then you are harshly judged by the customer experience its a bit of a hamster wheel
Pros
animals
Cons
pressure to hit numbers thst are impossible to hit
meh
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Was a great place. i loved going to work every day. the staff were friendly and management was nice. hours were decent. nice clean place to work with plenty of growing capabilities
I like them
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 August 2018
It was the average job. I was responsible for the care and cleaning of all the pets; cats/dogs/reptiles/birds/rodents, and all of the feeder insects .
Fun work place
Customer engagement leader (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 July 2018
Very little chance for advancement. Have been with the company for a long time but there has been no chances for advancement which is causing me to look else where
Management needs a lesson on social etiquette, regular employees are fine
Regular Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 July 2018
The store is run with money in mind first, regardless of animal health or safety. They knowingly sell brands that make dogs sick and have had numerous recalls.

The managers are strict in their ruling and have little knowledge of how the store is actually run, they believe what their supervisors tell them of HOW it should be run and not the reality of the NFLD specific store.
Pros
Regular workers are good, break room
Cons
Some managers, knowingly selling bad dog food, knowingly selling sick cats
Fun place to work, so interesting to meet so many pet parents.
Cashier + Pet Care associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON24 July 2018
I started working at Petsmart as a cashier, and advanced to a pet care associate after a few months of working there. I really enjoy my managers, however, some of the supervisors are fairly rude at our locations.

I have always loved that Petsmart puts there customers first and get involved in local charities and partner with local adoption agencies. The culture of the company is very family orientated and we really focus on help pet parents/families grow.

I probably most enjoy my time working in Petcare, there is always something to do and pet parents always want to asked you questions. It has really helped me to grow my product knowledge and grow confidence.
Pros
Great staff, some great discounts, fun jobs/tasks.
Cons
Flexibility for hours and switching shifts, hard not to say something to people who don't care for their pets.
A fun place to work
Customer service skills, operating a cash (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 July 2018
A very fun and active place to work with plenty of opportunity's to broaden your overall knowledge of products and animals. One of the best places to work.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Some customers
Fun experiences and great customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 July 2018
I get along great with everyone, the customers are always kind and I love getting to see all the dogs and cats. When customers come in with a new puppy and I get to see how happy they are which makes me happy. My managers are always kind and understanding, they help me if I need anything
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Not enough hours
great people and good working conditions
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC18 July 2018
Only ideal for students or people looking for very part time work. Hours will fluctuate greatly so not ideal for anyone who has bills to pay. Otherwise a very easy going workplace with overall good working conditions. Hard to have a bad day when you're surrounded by animals.
Cons
minimal hours
Go there for the training then leave
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 July 2018
Unless you like the cooperate structure, don't bother working at PetSmart. There are many private salons that can train you. The restrictions you are under and the pressure put on you, is not worth the people you work with, no matter how great they are.
Pros
Dog friendly
Cons
Customer over staff, every single time
basically it sucks the pets that come in are the only good thing
Associate Lead / Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 July 2018
I joined petsmart thinking that it was going to be a great place to work and advance, learn new skills. but the longer you are there the less people tend to like it and for me that was true. it is the most freaking dramatic place to work and it becomes very mentally tiring.
to work and to enjoy my time with pets
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 July 2018
i know that pet smart is the greatest place to work in and also working there is fun and the salary is high and it close to my house and i love pets and
Pros
of having free lunch
Cons
6 hour
If you like working for scum this is the job for you
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2018
I worked at petsmart for over 5 years and left due to management. Its true management makes or breaks the team. They allow awful belittling humans to run their stores and groomers to be complete functioning alcholics on shift. But to each their own. Its shitsmart for a reason.
Pros
Pay is fair
Cons
Staff isnt the best
Positive and fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON25 June 2018
Management was great and I enjoyed working there very much. Being a cashier was fun, you were able to meet a lot of kittens and puppies. You were also responsible for taking care of the cats that were up for adoption by giving them some love, replenishing food and water, washing down the kennels and changing litter. The hardest part of the job was when I first began my position, I was learning how the computer system worked on the cashier tills and trying to understand it.
Pros
Very positive environment around cute animals
Cons
Long periods of standing time
good place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2018
very much enjoyed working with Petsmart. good place to work. fun and friendly environment. would recomend to anyone looking for a good entry level position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K