PetSmart Employee Reviews

The only good part of working there is taking care of the animals.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2018
Management doesn't care about the employees. They care about the business and nothing else. They take advantage of their workers and only care about the sales.
Fun Work Environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 October 2018
Great place to work, friendly coworkers, approachable management, good pay, and straight forward job requirements.

Flexible schedule and a place to learn something new every day.

As a pet care associate you are very hands-on with the animals which can be a lot of fun, and teaching customers about their needs and how to care for them can be very rewarding.
Lots of cleaning, but easy to do, and makes the day just fly by.
Pros
Flexible, fun, comfortable
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Horrible management, horrible conditions for animals
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON2 October 2018
no one cares at petsmart, the management force you to come in early or on your days off or even when you aren't available to work. They push you around and make you do their job because they're too lazy to do anything and then when someone gives a compliment to the store they take all the credit. nobody even gets a thank you or an consideration for all the hard work and extra hours we come in for. asking any employees for help in the store is a total joke and then the customers get mad at you because everyone else is too busy picking their noses in the corner. petsmart needs to invest in some actual managers and supervisors that will make their employees feel appreciated every once and a while.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
everything else
Productive and hard work
Pet Stylist/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 September 2018
It has become a company that really does not care for its employees as much as it used to but the work is amazing. Getting to work with people who are creative and inspired with putting out amazing dog grooms is great. The hardest part of the job is not having a management system that supports you and is a leader opposed to and enforcer.
Pros
Commissions, working with dogs.
Cons
dont always get a break, not always alot of dogs to groom.
Balanced
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2018
PetSmart, Inc. is the largest pet’s specialty retailer, with more than 1,210 pet stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, over 189 PetsHotels, dog and cat boarding facilities, and Doggie Day Camps.
Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 September 2018
Very accommodating for part time positions for people going back to school and a lot of fun working with animals everyday. I would recommend for college students.
Would not recommend
Sales associate/cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 September 2018
My first couple days I was plopped on a computer for training, and whenever I had a question I was treated like I was bothering them. I was yelled at for not knowing things I hadn't been taught, and was yelled at for doing exactly what I was told. Was fired for a complaint a customer supposedly made about me, from a day when I wasn't even working. Was never told my position was seasonal and turned down 2 other positions. It had its fun points but in general it's not worth working here.
Pros
Get to pet animals, discount
Cons
Management is HORRIBLE
Terrible company to work for; only in it for themselves
Customer Engagement Leader (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC27 August 2018
After bringing to the attention of the HR company of petsmart that i was being bullied and harrased by my store manager, along with not being provided a safe workplace that caused me direct heath issues, I was made to feel like I was the problem and was disrespectfully interrogated about concerns I had brougt up about my store manager. 2 weeks later out of the blue without any viable cause i was fired. They could not give me a reason. A complany as big as petsmart should NOT be turning on their employees and treating them like dirt for excersizing my RIGHT as an employee to utilize the open door policy and contacted my HR, as stated in the policy's and procedures. This is dispicable. I will never work for ptsmart again and will be ensuring as many people as possible know how terrible of a company petsmart really is.
un productive managment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 August 2018
management was not very helpful with staff and didn't treat some of the customers very well dealing with the animals was great but not worth the stress
Sucks actually
Pet Hotel Night Shift Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2018
Applied multiple times (50 or so ) didn't get the position I applied for got stuck in a job that was emotionally draining on me. I have been a huge animal lover my entire life. So NOT being able to help puppies as young as 4 months and grown dogs up to the ages of 12 when all they needed was a personal touch and to know it was ok to be there in a kennel.....just about did me in emotionally. I worked nights alone so the policies said I couldn't open a kennel or suite door for any situation or issue.for my safety. I did suggest a solution to solve that issue ...just have 2 staff in at night and that would have been better for the animals as they could have gotten the care and compassion they needed. Their comment was they couldn't afford another staff member to be paid at night...I am sorry to say the company cares more about the $$$ than any of the creatures they have in their care...very sad but true...So beware if you are an animal lover through and through you might not like what you see. Oh, and the hardest part of my job wasn't not attending to the dogs it was dumping buckets full of multiple dog excrement into a toilet after a day of daycare dogs. The worst smell you can imagine...wear a mask and gloves Health and Safety issue right there.
Work
Customer Service & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 August 2018
A very toxic work environment. Managers would play favourites. Others would be doing their jobs, while some were in the break room chatting to the supervisor/managers or texting.
Pros
The shifts were short, there were cats to cuddle
Cons
Managers suck, favouritism is present, hard to move into different departments
Okay place to work
Senior Petshotel Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2018
Hotel was both a wonderful, and far too stressful place to work. Loved the animals, loved the people I worked with. I think the corporate bottom line gets in the way of pet care.
Horrible place to work!
Dog Day Camp Facilitator (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON16 August 2018
Horrible place to work! And horrible for the pets in their care. Don't work there. These people don't give a rat's dropping about their employees, the pets and the work environment/safety. Petsmart kills (and mains/damages) pets!
Cons
A fun and interesting work place
Cashier and Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2018
On the average day I got the chance to work with customers on the sales floor as well as at the cash register. You're not stuck in one place all day, which really helps the day go faster. Since it was a pet store, I got to see animals almost every few minutes no matter the day. The managers were reliable and open-minded, as well as willing to work with employees rather than leaving them to work alone. It is a team atmosphere, I never felt like I was fending for myself.
Pros
The animals
Cons
There isn't much down time, breaks can be missed due to rushes and poor scheduling
Cashier/Customer Service/ Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 August 2018
One of my favorite places to work! Especially if you love animals. Hours are very different from one day to the next. Good job for students and people without children
Good company benefits. Very rewarding job, you learn so many things about different pets, knowledgeable in different departments such as cashier, small animals, pet care, dog training and grooming. Room for advancement I was a cashier and moved up to the grooming salon. One of my favorite jobs! Would definitely work here again
Pros
Awesome customers, meet different animals
Cons
Unpredictable hours, must be available day and night to cover shifts
PetSmart Volunteer
Cat Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 August 2018
A while back i worked here and i enjoyed it because i was able to help cats (feed them and clean them), that is the main reason I took this "job". It was also a great experience to see how many people were helping as well
Always a productive workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 August 2018
PETSMART is like most other large companies in that the work is only as much fun as you put into it. If you like your co-workers, the work is pretty fun. Most of my managers were like-able and understood what it was like to be in a Stock Associate's shoes, and would regularly work with us on tasks instead of "ordering us around".

The shifts always started at 5am which was way too early, but for the store to be stocked by the time customers get there, that is probably the best way to do it. There was always more work to be done, no matter what department you worked in, and rarely a lack of shifts. Every now and then people would be asked to do an overnight shift for a special stock order, and they weren't as bad as one would think.

Overall, PETSMART is a pretty good place to work if you're looking for a low-level job during college or university, especially as a Stock Associate or Cashier.
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
working with animals is wonderful the customers are great as well
never enough labour which makes it hard to give good customer service. then you are harshly judged by the customer experience its a bit of a hamster wheel
Pros
animals
Cons
pressure to hit numbers thst are impossible to hit
meh
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
Was a great place. i loved going to work every day. the staff were friendly and management was nice. hours were decent. nice clean place to work with plenty of growing capabilities
I like them
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 August 2018
It was the average job. I was responsible for the care and cleaning of all the pets; cats/dogs/reptiles/birds/rodents, and all of the feeder insects .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K