PetSmart Employee Reviews

This job is very fulfilling
Stylist apprentice/Bather (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON30 May 2018
A regular day in the grooming salon is fun and fulfilling, being able to enjoy the dogs that come in is the best way to spend the day.
I have learned about dog behaviour and about the canine mussel structure and bone structure. I have also learned grooming tricks and how to take care of dogs hair, nail, teeth and cleaning of ears. I have enjoyed every experience that I Have had at the Petsmart grooming salon.
Pros
Great People, amazing clients and exciting experiences
Cons
Some dogs can be very challenging
Bad management, disorganized
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 May 2018
There were many issues that happened with PetSmart. They only gave me an hour of training, and then proceed to get frustrated with me when I don't understand the procedures. I've had to stay past my clock out time several times, it's constantly understaffed, they overwork you and they treat you badly if you take your 15-minute breaks. The staff is heavily disorganized and only certain workers know how to properly handle situations without a manager.
Pros
Animals, employee discount is 20%
Cons
long hours, bad management, horrible communication
Hard Work and Loyalty Unacknowledged
Customer Engagement Leader (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 May 2018
Managers were constantly coming and going in the location I worked for, with a lot of them unable to handle the stress and pressures brought down from higher up in the company, There are a lot of policies, many which leave too much work for too few people with even fewer hours. There is very rarely any recognition from managers or district managers towards the staff, which is a shame because those who chose to work there genuinely care about the animals and people they come into contact with every day.

There were often call ins, which made for long hours, many times with people having a hard time getting breaks or having to stay after hours to clean up because of the lack of staff.
Pros
animals, coworkers
Cons
long hours, bad management, high stress, lack of communication
Accepting and inclusive workplace with great chance for advancement
Senior/NIght Petcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2018
This company is amazing to employees, the benefits for full time employees are amazing! If you are looking for an inclusive and fun work place, this is perfect.
Pros
great benefits, amazing culture
animal interaction
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 May 2018
the fun part of the job is being involved with people who care about their pet. its a refreshing to see good people everyday come in with valid questions about how to keep their pet healthy
Pros
animals
smell
Good
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2018
PetSmart, Inc. is the largest pet’s specialty retailer, with more than 1,210 pet stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, over 189 Pets Hotels and boarding facilities.
Great People
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 May 2018
Awesome people to work with, fun environment where customer service is placed very high on the list. Products are always at their best and the store appearance is another top priority.
Not for people who are easily bothered
Pet-Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2018
If you enjoy working with animals, and with people, this is an alright job if you can handle stressful situations well and have a small amount of basic knowledge of owning a pet. However, if you REALLY love animals, and are a strong advocate for their well-being and proper care and treatment, this is probably not a good fit for you. You will witness some ill, injured, and poorly cared-for animals in store as well as customers with pets kept in below-standard conditions. You will have to advocate for the sale of impractical and too-small animal habitats, unhealthy food, and support impulse-buys of live animals.
Pros
flexible hours, good management
Cons
animals in less than ideal conditions
Great environment to be in if you are an animal person
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 May 2018
Work would start earlier because of my position. So usually around 6am. Managers had to be there to open for us and show us which shipment to work and what not to work.
Pros
Working on shipments on my own.
Cons
Early mornings sometimes managers wouldnt be able to open for us(they were late)
Good first job
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 May 2018
This was my first full time job. I loved seeing the puppies and kittens and all the different animals.
After a while, you get exhausted. The changes in management, changes in policies, changes in procedures etc.
Some people love it, but I didn't.
Great location to work at.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON3 May 2018
This location specifically, is a great location to work at. Everyone has great teamwork ethic here and treats you like family. Management is amazing here. Always on top of things and have your back when you need them. No drama is tolerated at this location and you are surrounded by animals making it difficult to ever be upset. It also gives you a feel good feeling because you are giving animals homes, especially when it comes to the cat adoption centre. Most of the cats come from a high kill facility and deserve healthy homes and love and we make sure they go to the best homes possible. If you're ever upset, you can just go cuddle up with the cats in the cat adoption centre.
Pros
You are surrounded by animals all day making it very difficult to be unhappy.
Cons
can get boring sometimes when its not busy
Fired for the dumbest thing possible
Pet Care Associate / Cashier Seasonal (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 May 2018
I really enjoyed working here until new management took over. One by one my co workers started to be replaced because of it. Good hard working people shafted by new management.

When it came to be my turn on the chopping block they fired me for and I quote

"giving fish heart attacks"

Now, what actually happened was: I walked past the fish tanks and one of the 0.13 fish jumped out and died. I picked the fish up and disposed of it, but apparently this event was so " traumatizing" to a customer that they went and complained to " every manager in the store"

To add insult to injury they pulled me away from doing cash on my last shift to clean a door.
Pros
Getting to work with pets
Cons
Garbage management
Fun/easy job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC29 April 2018
A typical work day for me was a closing cashier. Closing duties consist of dry mopping/ wet mopping cleaning tills, garbage's, carts, oops stations, vacuuming, putting returns away. Culture can be good just depending on your management. I've had good and bad manager's. I've learned a lot while working here from retail experience to cleaning floor using equipment. Often times your coworkers are always amazing. What I enjoy about the job was just working no matter what it was if i had to say it would be helping the pet parents.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Incosistint hours, wage is pour
My Review
PetCare associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2018
It is exhausting work. There is always lots to do and at times very little staff. It can be an enjoyable work place. I love working with animals and the customers are usually quite lovely. It can be quite demanding although and is typically understaffed, which therefore increases the work load, while not increasing the pay.
Pros
Working with all the animals, learning about the care of many types of pets, experience working with said pets
Cons
Hard work, such as scrubbing fish tanks (it hurts the back after some time), having allergies to things such as hay and reacting from those allergies each shift
productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON23 April 2018
was my first job learned how to deal with the public. Learned how to work a cash register. Management was friendly. The most enjoyable part was working in a pet friendly environment
Pros
ggood experience
Pets don't come first
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2018
I like most people wanted to work in pet stores to be able to care for animals. PetSmart takes excellent care of it's dry goods but the same cannot be side for its live animals. Store is also extraordinarily clique-y with no room for advancement.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else
Fun, but corporate
Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 April 2018
Pretty good job overall, I just got upset with corporate stuff- like my manager had changed 3 times during my time there.

Pet training was by the book they provided, cant go off script.
Pros
Ice cream days
Excellent workkplace
Alberta Training Coordinator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Great company to work for. If you were having a stressful day someone would bring in a little puppy and all would be right again in your world.
The hardest part of the job would have been the staffing/scheduling in order to fit the needs of the associates and business.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the interacting with customers and their pets.
Fun but hard work
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 April 2018
A typical day at work is taking in appointments, bathing dogs, answering phones, taking walk-ins, and assisting your coworkers.

It is very hard on your body with lifting dogs being a big part of your job, as well as repetitive motion and constant bending.

It can be frustrating to constantly have to upsell products, so if that makes you uncomfortable this job may not be for you.
Pros
Being with animals
Cons
Stressful work environment, constant upsell, repetitive motions, lifting
Fun
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 April 2018
Good place to work if you love animals and building a strong bond with customers. You learn a lot about products, as well as pets. Fun energy and potential.