PetSmart Employee Reviews

Pets don't come first
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2018
I like most people wanted to work in pet stores to be able to care for animals. PetSmart takes excellent care of it's dry goods but the same cannot be side for its live animals. Store is also extraordinarily clique-y with no room for advancement.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else
Fun, but corporate
Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 April 2018
Pretty good job overall, I just got upset with corporate stuff- like my manager had changed 3 times during my time there.

Pet training was by the book they provided, cant go off script.
Pros
Ice cream days
Excellent workkplace
Alberta Training Coordinator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Great company to work for. If you were having a stressful day someone would bring in a little puppy and all would be right again in your world.
The hardest part of the job would have been the staffing/scheduling in order to fit the needs of the associates and business.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the interacting with customers and their pets.
Fun but hard work
Professional Bather (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 April 2018
A typical day at work is taking in appointments, bathing dogs, answering phones, taking walk-ins, and assisting your coworkers.

It is very hard on your body with lifting dogs being a big part of your job, as well as repetitive motion and constant bending.

It can be frustrating to constantly have to upsell products, so if that makes you uncomfortable this job may not be for you.
Pros
Being with animals
Cons
Stressful work environment, constant upsell, repetitive motions, lifting
Fun
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 April 2018
Good place to work if you love animals and building a strong bond with customers. You learn a lot about products, as well as pets. Fun energy and potential.
Great job if you have a strong love for animals
Professional Bather (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON4 April 2018
Was not a fan of new management and could no longer tolerate working at this location.
Initially I adored my job and had several happy customers, but after new management stepped in I did not feel valued and was severely unhappy working here. Since I have left, several other employees have also left. Every time I enter the store, I see a new employee I do not recognize and see very few familiar faces.
The job of professional bather itself was amazing however.
loved this place
General customer service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON2 April 2018
it was amazing coming in daily to an endless line of the cutest dogs and since I just had to bath them it was so much better than having to give hair cuts and even when I was pulled out from the salon I didn't mind because pet people rock
dont work here
Professional Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 March 2018
management constantly changing and they don't care about their long term employees, management is unprofessional and treats employees like trash. constantly hires unfit people to work with animals with little to no proper training.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
working with psychopaths
Fun enviroment
Early Morning Stocker and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 March 2018
Awesome place to work, but you must put in enough time as a part time employee before full time is available. Pet smart also does not pay very much even as a salary manager. But extremely relaxed and friendly environment.
Limited advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Good as a part time job if your in school if your looking for a career or steady hours look somewhere else. Relaxed environment, hours all over the place.
Pros
Chill environment
Cons
Unreliable income
Great job
Academy Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 March 2018
Loads of room for advancement if that is what you are looking for. It is retail so be ready for evenings and weekend work. Customer service is an asset .
It is a very fun workplace to gain lots of knowledge about animals.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 March 2018
Everyone who I have worked with was rather laid-back in terms of personality. They are hard-working though. Through PetSmart I was able to gain a lot of knowledge about all the pets in our care as well as dog and cat food.
Worst job I've ever had
Customer engagement leader (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 March 2018
This place is a joke. I was hired as a customer engagement leader and never received full training, thrown into the position and was continually harassed by the store manager. I was forced to talk to cashiers about email capture like it was the only thing that mattered. I honestly hate this place and I have been harassed by the store leader on multiple occasions with nothing being done by head office. The store manager is a gossip queen that tries to start issues with staff to entertain himself. Do not work at the north Whitby location!
Pros
Cons
Infrequent shifts, no recognition of hard work, manager is not professional
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 March 2018
A typical day at work includes stocking shelves, customer service and cleaning. It is an upbeat environment and employees are friendly and caring.
The hardest part of the job is not taking home every pet.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the different animals that come through the store.
Management isnt great
Pet Grooming Salon Manager and Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 March 2018
I loved the team I worked with for the most part, but the management would tell you whatever they needed to get you to do a job even if they would lie, would prefer you kept your mouth shut about harassment from management.
fast paced work place
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2018
The best part is all the animals. it can be fun at times and others not so much. the relationships you make with the animals and pet parents are the best, especially when you see a dog come in and they know who you are.
Pros
animals
Cons
inconsistent shifts, labour is hard on the body, pay not good
Fun place to work, if you can handle people who don't know what they're doing
Associate Lead (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB19 March 2018
I worked in petcare, and multiple times i came into my shift and had to deal with other people's work that they were too lazy to complete on their own shift. When confronted about it, they would simply say "i forgot" etc when they have a detailed sheet outlining what to do and when to do it on a daily basis.
So its a great place to work if you can deal with people not doing their jobs, and the management overlooking it.
Not horrible
Cashier/Customer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2018
There is no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day is different, which keeps the job interesting.
I have learned how to handle stress and still deliver excellent customer service through this job.
The management is usually very nice and considerate, but if a manager takes advantage of their power, they may become manipulative or overwork those in lower positions.
The hardest part of the job is probably the hours or the customer service aspect. The hours are incredibly varied and change every week, and customers may be incredibly difficult to handle, as with any customer service job.
The most enjoyable part of the job, however, is also the customer service. Regular customers make the job enjoyable. It is a very personable environment, so it is easy to make friends with coworkers as well. The management also do their best, generally, to look after those who work hard.
Pros
flexible availability, variety of areas to work in
Cons
hardly able to take sick days, sometimes overworked/exhausted, lack of communication
Great place to work but hard to advance.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON16 March 2018
Petsmart is a great place to work if you want to earn extra money.
It's hard to advance unless some one else "leaves".
Some of the management styles are completely different from store to store. Some manage very well while others let everyone else "manage" the job without learning how themselves.

Overall if you do your job on time and well, you will be fine.
Pros
Employee Discount of 15%
Cons
Managers that transfer to other stores expecting it to run the same way.
Genuine a Decent PT Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
I was a cashier for just over a year. I loved my co-workers. it's your average cashier job. You are asked to do additional tasks, such as help with pricing, stock, etc. It was always fun giving a dog a treat at the cashier. It gave decent hours for part-time job.

This job went complete downhill when your job depended on email-capture, no matter how hard you tried. The schedule never came out 2 weeks in advanced, however, management was really good with time off.

The SL at my location was just rude to everyone, treating them as her slaves and not as people. She had double standards and treated you like garbage when you submitted resignation. However, the rest of the management was caring.
Pros
co-workers, animals, PT hours, flexibility
Cons
SL management, promotions, expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K