Petland Employee Reviews

Stagnant Company
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2018
The company is stuck in a constant state of unprogressive values that are not inline with retail industry standards in forms of self-expression and worker laws.
This theme of not moving forward is apparent throughout all levels of the company. Shift hours are not flexible.
Fun working around animals and taking care of them.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC Grandview Corners16 April 2018
Fun working with all the animals. A typical day would be to take care of the animals in the mornings/evenings and help guests around the store. Expected to be knowledgable about product and animals. Was told in person I was going to get a raise when I got promoted to supervisor position, however it took three months being a supervisor to get paid that wage. Then I was told I was only going to get paid for the last two weeks as a supervisor. VERY DISAPPOINTING. The communication between the store and head office is also very distant. Make sure to be knowledgeable about benefits if working here.
Pros
Half hour lunch breaks, places to grab lunch are very close by.
Cons
Not very trustworthy! Distant between head office and store.
Cool job with lots of animals to hang out with
Pet Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2018
I really only enjoyed the job for the animals that i worked with. Fellow employees could be very unapproachable and odd and the managers were very distant. Very accommodating for my school schedule though.
Fast-Paced Environment, Drive for Achievement
Animal Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC1 March 2018
Need to be able to multi-task, as there are many responsibilities for even the entry-level positions. Balance animal care, customer service, and store presentation. Need to have empathy for customers concerns for their pets, as well as animals in store. Knowledge of multitude of pets, products, services, etc necessary. Steep learning curve. Offers great training and opportunities to expand knowledge. Supportive management, corporate communicates regularly with each store. Easy to take your work home, literally. Great place to work if you love customer service and pets. Easy to move into supervisor/management positions. Performance incentives for meeting and exceeding goals.
Pros
games, incentives, working with animals and kids
Cons
often understaffed, low wages
Horrible
Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 February 2018
Petland Surrey is the worst run business i have ever worked at, Immature employees, the corporate office doesn't help with any misconduct, the manager is immature and doesn't know how to run a store, I do not recommend. the offer advancement but do not offer a raise. they aren't a good business to work for.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Rude, Stressful, bad pay, constant drama.
Do not work here
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC19 February 2018
If you have ever thought about applying here because it seems so fun and exciting as a customer, please think again.
This place is anarchy. I read the review titled, "Worst job experience I have ever had" and this person nailed it on the hammer. The turn-over rate for people quitting is astronomical because of how bad it is. I just hope at least a few people have seen that review and hopefully mine too before making the decision of applying there.

Let's start with the training. It seems like no one can agree on a strict training guideline once you are on the floor. Somehow, information gets lost or confused which ultimately leads to someone getting angry or in trouble. Certain management will insist they "went over it in training" when they very clearly didn't. After working there longer than anyone I originally started with, I was STILL getting in trouble for things I had been doing the same way from day one. It was as if a random rule or policy would pop up out of nowhere. I am a very good listener at work too so it wasn't me just being ignorant. So be prepared to get in trouble A LOT.

The management is absolutely dreadful. The owners are extremely picky as to how they want things done and if they aren't done how they expect, the managers get in so much trouble. Then the managers take it out on the staff out of their own anger. I heard that in one instance, the dog food cans weren't restocked which made the owner so angry she started throwing cans of food around and made one of the managers cry. Oh, and managers crying is not uncommon either.

There are so many
  more... inappropriate rules implemented as well. One employee liked to sneak upstairs for a "water break" several times during a shift to text so when they got caught, management pretty much took away water breaks. They posted up a sign saying that during a 5 hour shift, you are only allowed to go upstairs and get water ONCE and on an 8 hour shift you can get water twice. Meanwhile, the managers are allowed to keep their water in the office and drink whenever they want. SMH.
Oh, no yawning either! If you get caught yawning, it seems like the world is ending. One employee actually got sent home and written up for yawning. They also said they weren't going to pay this employee for the 2 hours they worked that day. That same day, the employee came in and quit. Rightfully so.

These are just a few of the many terrible things that happen here. You ever wonder why everyone greets you when you come in? And why the staff follow you around? It's not because they think you're going to steal, it is because if the staff doesn't do this, they get in trouble. If the employees don't obnoxiously yell, "HELLO!" when someone walks in, the owner loses her mind. I would refuse to say hello to customers walking in if 3 or more other people already said hello but I would still get in trouble. It is rude and intimidating to have 5 different workers yell hello at you when you walk into a store. So no, the staff isn't just unusually happy all the time; it's that if they aren't, they are talked to and even made to cry sometimes. It is unacceptable. Someone needs to expose this place for what it is.
Pros
Lots of learning opportunities
Cons
Terrible management, inappropriate & illegal rules
very fun
STOCK CLERK (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2018
very fun place to work even though i was only at this job for a short while. fun people to work with and fun atmosphere. i had the most fun working with the animals.
awesome place.
SMALL ANIMAL PET COUNSELLOR/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 October 2017
everyday is like a never ending zoo, they costumers are always great especially the regulars as well as the management and staff, they care for you as well as wanting you to do well at your job.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC28 September 2017
I miss working for PetLand Canada. This was great feel good place to work. They care about the family. They Really care well for the pets. They make working fun.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Productive and knowledgeable
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 September 2017
Working at Petland was fun, it opened so many new doors to taking care of the many different types of animals you can bring home. Each animal has their own food that they eat and while working there you can learn about which food may be better for your new four-legged friend.
Pros
Caring for animals, helping customers
Cons
Can be noisy
Fun, easy place to work or volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB10 September 2017
Great place to volunteer. Come and volunteer whenever works for you. Volunteer for however long you want. Friendly employees and they teach you. Loved it!
Loved the animals. The people, not so much.
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2017
I loved spending time with the shelter animals. They were always sweet and happy to see me. The people were more or less, unpleasant. Wouldn't recommend working there
Pros
Get to play with dogs
Cons
People are rude
Supervisor
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2017
Was a pretty good place to work, Head office didn't really care for its employers and didn't want to spend the time or the money to actually train people so if you don't already know about pets no point working there
Fun work place with animals and people coming in all the time. Never a dull moment there.
Pet Counselor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 August 2017
Petland is wonderful place to work for a student only needing part time or for someone who has a family and is needing a full time job. There you are to meet sales goals and familiarize yourself with customers and their pets. Working at Petland there is always new knowledge to learn everyday about any animal, even the ones you wouldn't consider having as a pet. A typical day at Petland would start off with walking around the store seeing and learning new product and animals in the store. Then you would walk to guests in the store and ask them if they are needing assistance and you would generously help them and answer any questions they had. The workplace culture is very friendly and very fast moving, there is always something keeping you on your toes whether you are helping a customer or cleaning up after animals and the store. I think the hardest part about working there is keeping your sales goals high while getting your tasks done throughout the day, it sometimes was a challenge but was manageable and easy some days when the store wasn't too busy. The most enjoyable part was getting to know all the customers that came in with their pets whether is was a dog, cat, hamster or even a descended skunk, etc. Petland is a great job to get involved in.
Stressfull environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB9 August 2017
Where to begin?

The management in this company is horrible, they set super high standards that are nearly impossible to achieve. You will be told to do so many tasks while at the same time be expe ted to keep the store 100% stocked and spotless. The managers care more about sales then they do about the animals in our care, the amount of sick and injured animals in the store is rediculous, and could be avoided if they took the time to provide proper training in store instead of forcing you to attend 8 hour classroom style training courses in different locations.

That being said the other staff in the store is fantastic, and very friendly for the most part.

All in all I wouldn't recommend working for this company if you care about animals because they way the stores are run will just make you sad.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Managment, poor animal care
Worst work experience of my life
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops3 August 2017
For an eight hour shift you didn't receive 15 minute breaks because it was "unproductive" only one half hour break for your entire shift.

You had to arrive early (without pay) to iron your outfit, the managers said "were the Disneyland of petstores, would Cinderella have a wrinkle in her dress?"

You have to calculate (on your own time of course, before or after work or during your half hour) how much money you brought into the company, what your average ticket was, etc. And if you didn't meet their expectation then you will hear about it. You feel like you're always on the chopping block.

Because they track how much each associate puts through the till there is unnecessary tension over which customer 'belongs' to who. For example if associate A talks to Customer B for 10 minutes, then associate C also helps customer B and proceeds to ring them through under their number, well associate A is not happy. Everyone who worked there at my level was just mean and bitter, but I can't hold anything against them because the environment was so awful that I can't blame them.

This also makes fish catching the most avoided task, because it takes the longest with little payout. And the tanks are so cluttered with decorations and plants that catching anything is a nightmear. At least it looks pretty to the customer though!

You had to stay late without pay if customers took their time leaving at the end of the night (ex. You are scheduled until 8, but a customer stays until 8:10 there's no recourse, because the schedule is set in stone/no punch in/punch out system)

The managers
  more... will come up and give you pop quizzes about products in the store. They are also extremely condescending.

You might think working with animals is a plus but There was hardly any contact with the animals due to micromanaging, if they see you without a customer they will find something else for you to do.

The animal food and chews were reused (chew sticks washed for each new animal, old hamster food given to the mice to eat instead of mouse food)

I can't even count how many times I went home crying from the stress. Everytime I drove to work I wished I'd be in a car accident just so I didn't have to go in.

When I gave them my two weeks notice (a month after working there) they told me to just go, and the manager followed me around the store and back to the staff room like I was a criminal, then walked me outside. I was nearly in tears on the phone waiting for my sister to pick me up as the manager interrogated me about my new job (another Petstore in the area)
Pros
Cons
They take advantage of young workers who don't know their rights
Decent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2017
Petland is a decent place. Some of their policies are a bit out there and they rely to much on pushing commission for their employees but overall a decent place
Pretty bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 July 2017
Management was really rude. Didn't care for their workers. The whole store itself was gross and filthy, no one wanted to clean anything up. Salary benefits were a joke to be honest. I can't describe how bad the life balance was with this job. One day you had a shift, another you didn't have one but you had one on the schedule. If you couldn't come in they got really mad off and threatened to fire you.

I'm glad I quit, no one deserves what I had to go through,
Pros
Having pets to play around with
Cons
Almost everything
Fun workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC23 June 2017
A typical day at work would be helping guests find product, taking out animals for guests, and putting through transactions. As well as helping guests adopt their new pet
it was good but lacking good management
Fish & reptiles /sales/vet tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
This job was by far had the worst management I have experienced in my short career,from the management not telling me when I was not doing something right and then being totally blind sided with a termination notice.this could be this specific management staff I encountered at this particular point in time at this location.
Pros
discounts
Cons
demanding sales goals