Peterborough Retirement Residence

Peterborough Retirement Residence Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
I don't recommend any of my friends to work here
Residence are the best part about working there. They're welcoming and kind. How could you not love them? Management isn't good. Shifts are always being changed without notifying the workers and they're always short staff (floor and kitchen). Servers working in the kitchen probably get yelled at the most. When a server has responsibilities to do and doesn't finish them, the other servers should be expecting to get yelled at for something they weren't responsible for.
Pros
cheap dinners, residence
Cons
low hours, underpaid, short staff, no breaks for kitchen evening staff
Toxic, dysfunctional, highly unskilled and unprofessional managment
A very negative experience. Always understaffed, "new management" hires family and people close to their outside lives, and some of them are totally inept. The environment is highly dysfunctional and negative and the wages are garbage! You end up working through your breaks and sometimes lunches and this creates exhaustion in itself for staff. If you want to be treated with disregard, be cheated on your pays, not appreciated for your hard work, be gossiped about and lied too, then Peterborough Retirement Residence is
the place to work!
If it weren't for my coworkers, I would have gone insane
My co-workers were my lifeline in this particular slice of h-e-double hockey sticks. You get minimum wage, and unless you manage to secure a magical full time position, no benefits. The union is supposedly there to help you but I never saw any of that. I actually got hauled into the general manager's office and written up because I accidentally said the f word. No verbal warning, just straight to written.

Management constantly piles on more for you to do and places you in a time crunch because "it's been calculated, it should work." Meanwhile most of them have never worked the floor a day in their life to know exactly what you're dealing with. You're constantly short staffed because they live on a skeleton crew that always calls in. They won't schedule or hire more people because screw quality of care, we need to save money. If you don't manage to clean every toilet on your list and make every bed before the end of your shift, you can bet your supervisor will be seeing you next shift. You get in less trouble for skipping all of your breaks to complete everything on your duties list than you do for missing a few small things in lieu of providing better care.

If it weren't for my co-workers, it would have been mental breakdowns every day. Their good humour and "we've got you because we're in this together" attitude was a lifesaver.
Pros
Co-workers, cheap meals from the kitchen, the residents
Cons
Long hours, low pay, short/under staffed, management
Very unsafe workplace
I worked here a few years ago and the job left me injured. When I went to the hospital I was informed that many of my co-workers have had to go for workplace injury and exhaustion. My injury put my nursing career on hold while I recover.
Pros
Residents and co-workers
Cons
Management, lack of safety protocols, overworks staff
I would never allow anyone of my friends to work here.
not a good place to work. they work you to the bone and dont care about your life outside of work. terrible management who never work. they will make you fill shifts when you dont want to
Much needed improvement.
Residents and coworkers are generally lovely. Management has lots of room for improvement, however; shifts that are known to be short weeks in advance are left short until the day of. Schedule is always changed/shifts always added to your shedule on very short notice with zero communication. Constantly understaffed and overworked and staff is underpaid. Corners are cut and pennies are pinched to a fault here. Two reviews before this one sound like they may have been written by management.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Poor management.
Friendly and accepting environment
This job led me to discover that I am passionate about helping others. A very welcoming and friendly place to work. The staff as well as the residents were all wonderful.
Great staff working to make everyday memorable
A very busy, fast paced environment where attention to detail, multi tasking and organization is key. Management are approachable, open and always there to assist with anything that is needed. Residents make work fun and welcome you into there home with open arms. Staff work as a great team, assisting where and when they can.
A typical work day is very busy with tasks ranging from delivering mail, serving residents to administrative and recreation duties.Strong Multi tasking abilities are essential for success.

As an associate in the enhanced care unit you are the main care taker of the residents. Duties include dressing, feeding, bathing and personal hygiene care. Being able to assess the residents and notifying the nurse of any changes or concerns is essential. Working at a fast pace and having multi tasking skills are required in order to successfully fulfill the position.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peterborough Retirement Residence. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4