Peterborough Regional Health Centre

Peterborough Regional Health Centre Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Great bunch of caring people in the maintenance dept. Pretty casual but sometimes stressed environment due to the need for immediate repairs at times. The place itself could have been designed with more back up systems or redundancy. Management was very appreciative when you pulled a rabbit out of a hat. The trades guys were all pretty cool and everyone helped everyone when needed. Good place to learn. Nobody watching over your back
Pros
People, Freedom, Killer pension plan
Cons
Shifts, Money
sad that it ended early it was going amazingly well. I wish the virus had not come in and made the school make our hours stop. I would have kept going I felt like I was making a difference.
I was a volunteer who sat at the front desk and greeted patients and visitors. I would lead them to their desired location throughout the hospital. My fellow volunteers were very kind and helpful, especially while I was training. Our manager was very hardworking and kind.
Friendly environment with its main goal to provide the best possible care to patients while promoting their independence.Staffs are well trained to be client focused. Team work in this environment is well emphasized especially with medication checks In order to avoid medication errors.
Not a very fair or equal place to work. Very clicky place. People get preferred treatment. Wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. Workload is very heavy for one person, work needs to be distributed fairly.
Managment has no clue about CSA standards. No rights to refuse unsafe work during probation time, false promises and no consistency in schedules or rules, Union is for employers not employee. Coworkers are great.
Under staffed both within the union workers and non union workers area
Fast pasted, busy work environment

More training needed for front line managers
Great place to work with opportunities for advancement. Managers work hard to support staff and it is such a pleasure being able to make a difference everyday.
Great workplace to work for. People are friendly and well trained. PHRC offers a varied of training and especial workshops on a monthly basis. I would recommend this workplace to work or complete your practicum requirements.
I have work for PRHC for a few years and I have enjoyed my time there. It is a wonderful place to start a carer as a nurse with many learning opportunities and flexible managers/hours.
I wish that the overall experience working the hospital would staff for more nurses, they are very over worked. Clerical administrative knowledge has been a great asset. Learn how to deal with situations with family members when I the ICU. I have a great manager and the staff are all wonderful.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not enough hours
Working for PRHC is a love hate relationship, I loved patient care and having supplies required for the job as well as the salary is decent. The major issue with PRHC is management, they encourage the staff to be disrespectful and inappropriate by their own behaviour. If you try to even bring a problem forward you will find yourself in trouble, and the one who being raked over the coals. Management is constantly pushing more and more on the staff across the board, house keeping, nursing, porters, etc. It’s not uncommon to miss breaks or leave late, and if you ask for Over time pay they will blame it on you for not taking your break or leaving on time. The pay isn’t really worth the amount of stress this job will cause you.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Work pressures, management and culture
It was one of the most best experiences i had , and give a lot of other opportunity to achieve my goals . As well as the team i was working with had a lot of energy and positive environment around us which makes us to do more work then is suppose to, overall i was happy to volunteer at Peterborough hospital .
I had worked in several units, some of which were ER, NICU, Maternal Newborn Child, Paediatrics, Stroke, MOP, Complex Continuing Care, General Surgery pre-post op.
Pros
The opportunity to work on several different units
Cons
Attaining full time work in one unit
A typical day was usually a fast paced and busy one. I would learn new skills or simply an easier / better way of completing duties from more experienced co-workers.

My experienced taught me how to work as a team as well as independently.
Pros
Meeting new clients
Cons
Spread too thin
Good place to work, it can be very busy they seem to think that less clerk hours are good but the patient ratio does not change so you work very hard which I don't mind because I don't have anything else outside of my job that takes me attention, e.g. childcare care/children at home so I am okay to work very hard at the job then when I go home be exhausted. I love the work and the patients
strong support from other nurses and management. very kind and understanding. Always willing to extend their hand for help and lots of educational advancements to future your nursing future. clinical placements complete there
I have worked in Mental health for many years. I enjoyed working with co-workers, doctors, police and others. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping clients and teaching students.
Pros
people
Cons
not always the right followup
Worked at PRHC for 3 years. Was an attendant. Enjoyed the flexibility of my work schedule. Enjoyed being part of a union and benefits received through the position.
It was a challenging and demanding position for an experienced mental health nurse with clients assessed by both RNs and RPNs from four regional areas. Learned how to strategically plan and coordinate care for a variety of mental health clients in crisis situations. Management was laissez-faire leadership style, not intended for a new grad. Enjoyed collaborating with community partners, using motivational interviewing and linking clients to community resources.
its always busy
you learn so many little things in a short time it can be overwhelming

Management is pretty good

your co workers are always willing to help you out

keeping up is the hardest part

your always doing something different.