Pete's Fine Foods

Pete's Fine Foods Employee Reviews

I worked at Pete's for a while, it wasn't a terrible place to work but the management is truly horrible and the turnover is ridiculously high. No one wants to stay because you can get paid the same for way easier work. Mice are EVERYWHERE.
Pros
Free watered down coffee, old bread, butter
Cons
Horrible management
Pete’s was horrible. I worked the Deli, I had no previous food handling and when I showed up for my “training” I was thrown in and was barley taught anything. They had NO safety training with the meat cutter or food handling or anything like that. The co workers there were okay, not the best, but the management was a complete disaster. They were rude and made you feel horrible every shift, also playing favourites with the older co workers there. The customers also weren’t the most friendly. Management didn’t really care about your well being at all, they just wanted your work to be done. The wage is really bad as well. There was black mold growing on things, there were mice everywhere and would get into the food which also led to mouse droppings all over the floor. Every week there is someone new getting hired because they can’t keep people. Also, when we had to bring out the trash we had to step on this metal piece that would wobble which could lead to you falling a couple feet to the ground.
Pros
Free coffee, Mouse to watch when bored.
Cons
Horrible management, poor wages, unfriendly co-workers/customers, long hours, Unsanitary, Safety issues.
Pete's cancelled my health insurance, without letting me know, months before I was to leave the company. Upon looking into this, they stated that there was no reason for their error. As I had a dentist appointment coming up, they said they would try to get it back from that date onward. After I left the company and was moving away for school, my final paycheque indicated that I was charged for the months I had no coverage during, along with the time we agreed to have my health insurance reinstated for. Overall, I paid more in health insurance fees than I got back with the health insurance. They were quick to remove access to my @petes.ca email to eliminate access I had to the emails regarding this matter. This really sucked while I was moving as I had no money at the time and this just put me further in the hole; that was my food money for the next month.Line level workers are usually a good bunch to work with. Would recommend this as a student job to get some cash for school!I was asked by the store manager to spy on another employee to see if they were being negative in the workplace. I assume for termination reasons.
They have problems in thier workplace, and no appreciation for your hard-working. Only advice for you is that you don't work here. Only advantage is that it is a job.
Honestly the actual work isn’t too awful. Most of the people there are quite kind and treat you like family! But the management is awful and inconsiderate. Not to mention the wrongful termination lawsuit I filed (and won) against them... so... that was fun.
Retail and food industry can be challenging. Many different departments in the store. My favourite part of the job is the people I work with. I have also been trained to work in several departments in the store.
This is a decent place to work. The communication is a major downfall, so its very difficult to make something known to management. Other than that the job culture is very relaxed and co-workers are all friends.
I wouldn’t recommend applying for this company, ever since the take over it’s gotten worse, management has obvious favouritism, you don’t get paid enough for the skills you have, the only good thing about this job is the people and that’s a stretch. You’re better off applying somewhere else, nobody listens to your ideas and they are way to lenient, it’s impossible to get fired from this place coworker was stealing and literally didn’t even get written up, just scroll past the job offer, you’ll thank me later
I do love coming in each morning seeing my smiling coworkers at the store. It creates welcome atmosphere in there. Every day is a busy one but we all (management and the rest of us) trying to do our best together. My hardest part of the job is demanding of physical exercise to be able to lift super heavy bags and boxes. My most enjoyable part of the job is, as a Receiver I come to meet lots of new people (suppliers) at my point of view plus since I receive products for all over the store I have an opportunity to be in touch with people within each department.
Terrible management, co workers are terrible and management has a hard time finding good people because of that. Had a guy try to fight me and management did nothing
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Pete's Fine Foods?
The line level staff at Pete's are fantastic people. They have great positivity and seem to really try to give customers the best possible experience. However this is unfortunately just a facade they use in order to cope with what they have to put up with day-to-day. Very little training is provided for new hires and what they do give is lackluster at best. It's hard to feel connected with your superiors because the management roles are a revolving door that constantly see's people being replaced if they don't meet astronomical company expectations. The high expectations would be understandable if the pay was fair, however management level staff aren't paid a standardized wage. Some managers are paid less than $30k annually while others are paid much more fairly. Worst of all is the reason for the high turnover. If low pay doesn't scare you off and you actually stick around then you need to put up with the fact that the higher ups find it easier to replace you rather than train you to better perform the job. In summary, if you're a student who's just looking for a summer job Pete's is a great place to work. However, if you're out of school and looking for a more permanent position than you'd be best to steer clear.
To start, I had zero food handling, food safety or WHMIS training (or really any training) for my position on the lunch line. This is extremely concerning as my job was to prepare food for customers. I learned nothing about quality control, at what temperature to keep meat, or anything else pertaining to making sure the food was safe to serve to customers. There is also an extensive mouse problem which no one seems to care enough about to try and fix. Management for most departments is terrible, with the managers being either clueless or very unfriendly and unapproachable. The work environment is also terrible, and with my department being understaffed, we were constantly having to work double-time to make things work. As for customers, many were extremely rude. There are a lot of upper-class people who shop at Pete's, and they feel they are entitled to yell at you over salad dressing. The only redeeming part about my time at Pete's was the friends I made. My coworkers and I bonded over how terrible working there was, and we were always there to support each other when things got rough (like HR ignoring us on multiple accounts). Please look for work elsewhere... there are many reasons why the turnover rate is sky high at Pete's.
Pros
Coworkers, free coffee
Cons
Management, Hr, Customers
Some workers really enjoy it at Pete's, but most really do not like it there. Management for a few departments is really good, but for the rest, they have to deal with uncaring, manipulative and offensive managers, with next to no opportunity for promotions or vertical mobility within the company. There are several issues (such as mice that plague the dry foods isles) that is known of by management, but very little is done to deal with the problem, costing sometimes several hundred dollars of wasted products over the course of a single day. Items are overpriced, appealing to the upper class customer base, yet workers are still paid minimum wage. There is very little quality control over products that are produced by departments.
run for the hills! high turn over of staff, management has no clue on how to treat employees. Lots of gossip and back stabbing. Do not make Pete's your choice of employer.
Cons
poor management
The entire management structure is malicious and incompetent. Every manager position at Pete's in Bedford has been a revolving door, with new staff being overworked and then either quitting immediately, or perhaps sticking around long enough to get fired. There is little to no communication between departments or staff. The only solace is that everyone else who works there are really good and kind to each other, because we all know how bad it is. If you want to meet good people and learn about weird exotic fruit, maybe this job could work for you. But don't let yourself be enamoured by the interesting foreign food or the volunteer programs; no one at this company cares about you except your peers. Don't fall for this trap.
Pros
Free bread and cold coffee in the break room
Cons
Loss of your eternal soul for just over minimum wage
Just awesome! Great experience in all kinds of ways. Absolutely no complaints and keep in mind you are an adult. Workplaces require maturity. Good place to work
Pros
Very nice coworkers
Cons
Management and supervisor lacked communication skills and took advantage of employees. Customers could be great or very rude and someone once threw their sandwich at me.
It was one of the best jobs I have had. I had the opportunity to run the cheese counter. I learned many new things I did not know before about cheese. The people were great to work with and for. Very friendly and welcoming.
I was diagnosed with scoliosis right after being hired and was told my the manager and supervisor to write an email to HR that I was unfit to work and to be sure that HR gets is so they do not come after HIM. I am disgusted by the disrespect and discrimination I experienced at Pete’s on Dresden row. The management is petty and cliquey and would screw with my schedule so it interfered with my classes and would schedule me for 5 shifts in a row after being aware I can only do 2 due to my severe scoliosis and my lungs being compressed. I would be unable to move the next day. I am appalled . If I was in a wheelchair I would not been treated with such disrespect. If I could give this negative stars I would . Do not waste your time.
Pros
The HR staff
I had fun, and learned a lot working at Pete's. They offered opportunity for advancement, a good salary, and I got along with everyone that worked there.
Administration, and management sucks. Gives you all negatives and nothing positive. Talking about wanting to change but what needs to change is upper Management. To many people up each other’s buts. Work is easy but they are very demanding. Great coworkers make it fun. Phoney admin and management don’t make it fun.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management and administration
  1. Employee reviews