Pet Valu Employee Review

Hard work, but excellent training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 June 2013
**I worked for Pet Valu the corporation, not a franchise. This review is strictly based on working at a corporate location. **

Pet Valu has an excellent training program. I felt very confident with the knowledge they armed me with for dealing with customers. They had exams that every employee was required to take, as well as seminars that were put on by the different pet food companies.

It can be a lot of hard work. It's not just front end work like a lot of people expect. A lot of it is dealing with delivery; hauling bag after bag of 40lb dog food bags (or cat litter!) onto shelves that are well over your head.

Pet Valu, for an 8 hour shift, gives you one unpaid 30 min break...and that's it. They say that you can have 2 15's...but if you try and take one you're in a lot of trouble. You're constantly on call (no matter what your position is), the district manager (at the time) was not a very nice person (trying to be polite here). That's not just my opinion, it was known chain-wide.

Basically it's a good place to work if you don't mind being used a bit. They do teach you a lot about nutrition, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little for it.

Oh, and corporate sold our store to a franchiser even though they promised they wouldn't...so job security is kind of shaky.
Pros
Training program
Cons
Salary, Delivery, Inflexible with shifts

Other Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Hostile Environment Created by Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
Pet Valu was probably the worst job I have ever worked at. For the entire time of my employment, I was always uneasy going into work and while being there. The managers were manipulative and bait you into thinking this was the best career move and then treat you horribly. I have never been anxious about going into work or being at a job in my employment history but this place never sat well with me.

Management would tell you to come to them with problems but once you did, use it against you and drop your name to other employees. They would tell you to keep busy but most of the time would just stand there delegating work and micro managing you. My manager in particular knew it would make me uncomfortable and continue to hover while I tried to do things.

Icing on the cake is my dog passed away shortly before I quit and they made me feel bad for needing time off saying "we need you to come in for the rest of your shifts, if you need time you can sit in the back room."

They'll ask you to get involved and be apart of the team but as soon as you have an idea, it will be shot down.

Honestly such a hostile and unhealthy environment.

Slightly above minimum wage to be doing lifting labor almost all day from stocking 40LBS+ Bags and doing delivery on truck days with NO benefits. (Would make sense to include some given the amount of strain on your back)

When I finally quit, I was shamed over quitting and treated absolutely horribly. I ended up finding out my management had been talking about me, making up stories of things I "said" and telling employees. Even AFTER I
  more... quit I had employees messaging me with attacks about things I had apparently said behind their backs according to my MANAGER. Funny how in all of these conversations, I was never once included?

8.5 Hour shifts if you're full time and they'll mess around with your hours out of some power trip if they feel you're not doing well enough.

All locations are franchised and therefore different but mine was definitely terrible. They had ads up for job openings but anyone who came in my manager would scoff at after they left and try so hard to find a problem with their resume because interviews are "awkward".
Pros
Pets
Cons
Management, Work Environment, Wage
Best job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB16 April 2018
I absolutely LOVE this job, the atmosphere, the co-workers. I’ve learned so much on this job and absolutely love helping the customers and the dog wash and adoptables. I love things like pet appreciation month where 100% of donations stay in the community, so many other chain supply stores wouldn’t do this and it warms my heart so much.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.