Pet Valu Employee Review

My experience
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee) –  Dunnville Ontario14 August 2013
Working at Pet Valu there are many responsibilities.

A typical day at work for me is making sure the animals have fresh food and water and their cages are presentable for when customers come into the store.

I have learned many new things about different types of animals and nutritional facts about them so I can provide my best knowledge to any questions a customer may have, about what certain foods or medications they are thinking about for their animal.

The management at Pet Valu is great. Being a corporate store we do have a lot of pressure on us to meet certain sale requirements and if we aren't meeting them there is always a lot of help to try new things to find what will work best for all of us employees.

My co- workers are great, we all get along and we all work together to get the job done!

The hardest part of my job is when my manager is away on holidays, I take on most of the responsibilities to make sure the store is kept the way is should be.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with new people everyday, helping them, listening to them, and also meeting there pets.
Cons
not enough hours/ poor pay

Other Pet Valu Employee Reviews

excellent staff, excellent training provided
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 May 2018
very organized in preparing staff with knowledgeable information about product. Straight forward tasks are given, and very enjoyable environment. Over all very nice place to work at.
Hostile Environment Created by Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
Pet Valu was probably the worst job I have ever worked at. For the entire time of my employment, I was always uneasy going into work and while being there. The managers were manipulative and bait you into thinking this was the best career move and then treat you horribly. I have never been anxious about going into work or being at a job in my employment history but this place never sat well with me.

Management would tell you to come to them with problems but once you did, use it against you and drop your name to other employees. They would tell you to keep busy but most of the time would just stand there delegating work and micro managing you. My manager in particular knew it would make me uncomfortable and continue to hover while I tried to do things.

Icing on the cake is my dog passed away shortly before I quit and they made me feel bad for needing time off saying "we need you to come in for the rest of your shifts, if you need time you can sit in the back room."

They'll ask you to get involved and be apart of the team but as soon as you have an idea, it will be shot down.

Honestly such a hostile and unhealthy environment.

Slightly above minimum wage to be doing lifting labor almost all day from stocking 40LBS+ Bags and doing delivery on truck days with NO benefits. (Would make sense to include some given the amount of strain on your back)

When I finally quit, I was shamed over quitting and treated absolutely horribly. I ended up finding out my management had been talking about me, making up stories of things I "said" and telling employees. Even AFTER I
  more... quit I had employees messaging me with attacks about things I had apparently said behind their backs according to my MANAGER. Funny how in all of these conversations, I was never once included?

8.5 Hour shifts if you're full time and they'll mess around with your hours out of some power trip if they feel you're not doing well enough.

All locations are franchised and therefore different but mine was definitely terrible. They had ads up for job openings but anyone who came in my manager would scoff at after they left and try so hard to find a problem with their resume because interviews are "awkward".
Pros
Pets
Cons
Management, Work Environment, Wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.