Pet Valu logo
Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employee Reviews

laid back workplace, but needs pay increases and better management

The best part of the job is being able to make friends with some co-workers and dealing with customers and their pets. The discounts are good. Employees are rarely punished for coming in late all the time or calling in sick forcing other employees to take their shifts when its their day off. In the several years I've been with the company, i've received raises totalling about $1.50 per hour. The company is growing quickly and has large profits, but gives like 20 cent raises to employees. Can be a caty environment. Store management can be laid back, but district managers are not and can be very rude and disrespectful.

Pros

Store discounts, customers, pets

Cons

lack of hours, district management, pay, gossip

Great place to work, but it will depend on Franchise Owner

The Franchise Owners I worked for in Peterborugh, ON were the best any employee could ask for. They were always very understanding of life and school needs and paid well with nice bonuses.

Good learning program, not great upselling practices

I liked working in pet valu for the clean and organized stores. It was fun solving pet parent’s issues and learning about pet care. Letting the adoptable cats play as I closed was the best part of my day. I definitely don’t like how dog and cat focused the store is. Little to no experience with small pets other than betta fish. The upselling to ignorant customers felt demoralizing. Sold some terrible items that aren’t good for pets. Lastly, management used extra money staff earned for sales quotas for cleaning supplies.

Pros

Lot of cute pets, 20% discount, adoption program.

Cons

Lots. Upselling mostly.

Awful place to work !

I thought this would be a fun place to work , the local pet shop , full of dogs , puppy's and happy people , How nice would that be well that part was right but what I did not expect was the extremely poor management ! Terrible work culture with bullying and favoritism ,They lose staff on a constant basis and after a few months it became apparent why . do yourself a favor and look elsewhere .....

Pros

Dogs and Pups

Cons

Terrible manager

Poor management

I worked in several positions both in store and in Home office. There was literally not a competent manager in the whole place. Just people trying to CYA by blaming everyone else. Such a sad experience .

Pros

Cons

Constant exploitation

Not worth your time

was so excited to start working at Bosley's but the work-life balance is way off. management only cares about getting enough hours for the store, you will work like a dog literally even if you ask for fewer hours. Most of the coworkers were nice but anyone higher up was super mean and lots of gossip occurred in the workplace.

Pros

dog

Cons

Easy going depending on management

Pet valu in Canada is a chain so you will have different experiences for every store. Personally my store is very chill, we have a very understanding manager that is easy to work with and I wouldn’t trade her for anything. But the store owner and operator are different, anytime they are around it’s very stressful and tightly wound. This job can go both ways it can be great if you like talking to customers, stocking, but there is never down time even if there is nothing to do they will find something. You will get great training it was 2 weeks, but Expect to be on your feet all day. There are no paid breaks but personally at my store you can get write offs which are returned or broken merchandise you can take home for free.

Pros

Training, discount

Cons

Unpaid breaks, stressful store owners

This is the worst company to work for. PLEASE, do not even bother applying.

I can't even begin to describe how much I hated working here. Management is terrible and corrputed. They don't care for their employees at all. The manager where I worked was a dictator and EVERYTHING had to be here way or the highway. I feel bad for my co-workers, they feel stuck there because they both rely on the income but lucky for me I'm a student and was able to escape. You'll be leaving here within your first 6 months if you even bother to work here. ]Legit a nightmare.

Cons

One of the best jobs I’ve ever had!

You get to meet all like-minded coworkers and pet owners (bonus of seeing dogs or cats every day!).You work closely with a cat rescue to find adoptable homes for them in store, work with dog rescues events once a month and overall it’s a straight forward job for those with a head on their shoulders! It’s not rocket science but it is a fast spaced environment. Usually your shift you might work alone or with another coworker, possibly 3 all together! (Full team on truck/delivery days) this job kept me on my toes for 5 years. There’s a lot of responsibility with the high demand and cleaning (especially the stores with a dog wash). It can be overwhelming if you’re alone or with a coworker to keep up with the demand of the store while trying to clean, keep tabs with stock, help customers and prep for Flyer day OR putting the delivery away OR simply closing the store at the end of day. There’s rarely time to be lazy or else you’re creating a headache for yourself and the team.

Pros

Fun atmosphere and coworkers

Cons

Long task list / high store demand / short staff and the minimum wage pay

must dedicate a handful of hours to the job (more than part-time)

Overall, great place to work if you have a lot of free time. I personally didn't like the work environment as favouritism was a factor between other employees. You also receive shifts almost everyday and they are extremely long (sometimes you don't even get a break)... management is very reliable on you (even if you're part-time) and will expect you to dedicate all your time to the store. Don't recommend for any full-time students that want to continue to achieve high academics.

Pros

Friendly customers, not much work to do

Cons

long hours, not enough employees, favouritism, no guaranteed lunch break, low security

Jobs at Pet Valu

See more jobs

Great if you like animals, terrible if you like a company to care

If you want a company that has a fun sounding atmosphere, the individual employees and locations are great(obviously varied in quality), have great morals when it comes to animal welfare, does charity for animals and great fundraising activities this is a great place....if you want a company that cares, protects or even thank their employees then this is not the place for you.

Pros

Dogs, animals, discounts

Cons

Company bias, lack of security, lack of care for employees by parent company.

Bad management, and a stressful workplace

Don't work here. Believe me. Pay is average, lots of workplace drama, it is not worth all the hassle. You receive subpar treatment. Bad management. The benefit are there is the occasional animal, but not as often as you'd hope. Overall, not worth it to work here, don't put yourself through it. A lot of work and not enough benefit from it. Regular lifting of 40+ lbs and at least 2-3 orders recieved a week. There are pretty regular staffing issues so be prepared for that if applying. I am rating 2 stars instead of 1 because not EVERY store is the same.

Pros

Dogs

Cons

Stress, drama, bad managment

Poor pay, awful management

The salary of this company is way below standard. The management is awful. Very toxic work place. No exit interview, was let go with out even being told why. Don't conduct performance reviews. Both my managers spent all day talking gossip about fellow employees. Just all around poorly run company. Stay far away!

Pros

Employee discount.

Cons

Management, pay

awful managers and toxic workplace

This is a terrible company to work for. The higher ups do not care about the wellbeing of their employees and do not hire good managers. I was forced to quit my position because they hired a TOXIC manager who was out to ruin the store's atmosphere. He would insult people and cut the hours of people that he disliked. The workplace became extremely toxic and many people felt the same way. Like its a minimum wage pet store job -- was not worth the emotional stress

Cons

boring, bad pay

Calming effect on my nerves due to petting/taking care of the animals

The staff I worked with were very happy, down to earth, approachable & made going to work enjoyable. Very positive atmosphere to work in. And working with animals on a daily basis made going into work lots of run because I found the animals therapeutic.

Pros

Get to play with animals entire shift

Cons

Cleaning the animal cages & up after them, not so fun

Worked with some very smart talented people who were a pleasure to work with

Lease Adminustration at Head Office was a fast paced group meeting critical dates and handling a large portfolio of owned and franchised stores. It was a busy period of growth with a number of new stores and we all worked well together with the Director also being a pleasure to work with and always had our backs. He not only worked hard himself, he was a very experienced fountain of knowledgeable and shared itcwith us and treated as all as peers. It's nice to have an effective leader who is a pleasure to work and when he retired shortly after I left he was greatly missed. I will always consider home a friend. The Real estate team also had some extremely talented people who worked with us and overall I enjoyed working at Pet Valu and I would strongly recommend it as a great place to work.

Pros

Ability to work with smart, talented wonderful team mates

Cons

Pay was lower than market, Director successfully pushed for fair market compensation for his team.

Over worked underpaid at store level

Company has big expectations for its part timers which makes them leave quickly. Managers get blamed for not doing enough to curve bad behaviors however dm is the one who approved action. Dm talks to management team about other managers on the team. Support is had to find. Broken promises are common. All responsibility no authority. All the push back you could ask for everyone outside store level pushes issues back to store level.

Pros

Discount, bonus

Cons

Understaffed on purpose. High turnover

Easy first job, fun with animals, bad management.

The job it's self is really easy to get the hang of. You get to see lots of animals and meet new people. Every petvalu I have worked at has terrible management. None of the managers I have had good leadership skills.

Pros

Free product knowledge

Cons

Bad management

Great coworkers, awful pay.

I loved my coworkers and most of my customers. The pay was awful for how much they wanted you to do especiallyby yourself. Worked most shifts by myself and had to clean, stock shelves, help customers, rotate stock, watch our store aninals and more for only minimum wage. I worked there a year and a half and took home less than 10 grand so I had to work 2 other jobs. And upper management does not care about you.

Pros

Great girls to work with, amazing customers

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, over worked, upper management sucks

Toxic workplace

Probably the worst workplace I’ve been with. Co workers constantly gossiped about one another, and management didn’t have any compassion or respect. Anything you told or asked someone in private or confidence would automatically be known in the workplace, resulting in talking about you behind your back. There are much better places to work at, trust me.

Pros

Get to see animals everyday

Cons

Disrespect, gossip, management

Not worth all the responsibilities for how little you are paid. Management a mess.

LOTS of heavy lifting. Catty coworkers and hypocrisy from both employees and management. Not only physically exhausting, but mentally as well. It's nice to see peoples pets when they bring them in but it really does not level out.

Pros

Cute pets brought in, discounts on pet food and supplies

Cons

Too many tasks and not enough staff to do them, management doesn't care or offer solutions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6Job security/advancement