Pet Valu

Canada502 reviews

Found 502 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,006 reviews
petanimalpetvalufranchisestoredognutritioncat

Fun place, unfair management

This job allows you to foster relationships with like-minded individuals who love their pets and want to provide the best life for them possible. Unfair management practices and biases will guarantee a revolving door of staff, creating gaps in information provided to customers and frustrations for everyone who walks in the door.

Pros

Fun environment with wonderful people

Cons

Management lacks appreciation of quality workers

Poor management and terrible coworkers

Management doesn’t do their job, blames staff for issues related to management. Not enough hours, high turnover rate, and coworkers talk about each other constantly.

Pros

Relaxed pace

Cons

Not enough hours

Insights into Pet Valu

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Involved and collaborative workplace

The difference between working at a location that carries live animals, and one that does not, is huge. I worked at a live store for 4 years, it takes an extreme amount of extensive knowledge on many different kinds of animals (not just dogs and cats) to confidently do your job. Working with live is fun, but it does come with its stressful moments. I worked with a great team, many of which are still my close friends. Management at store level is great, beyond store level, management could be difficult to work with especially when it comes to solving in-store conflicts. The pay is normal for a retail job, and there is opportunity to increase pay with extra training and time, there are also benefits for part timers. If you are not a full timer, the hours you work week to week may vary.

Good for first job experience and that's about it.

No real structure for the employees to work with and improve. Its a one size fits all job were you have multiple people doing all the tasks no real specific jobs between individuals. Everyone has to do everything. No real chance to work up in the store. The rotating door is strong which makes it easy to be short staffed and have to work shifts alone.

Pros

Good work environment, Get to see pets, Help pet owners, Gain a good basic knowledge on e learning for pets.

Cons

No ideal shifts. Do a bunch of work and no real worth-while reward or incentives.

A true team experience

PV Pembroke On includes all staff in building the team , everyone feels included in the stores success . Customer service is a strong point that is presented from the team leader up . You are valued as an employee.

Fun environment

Loved being able to see dogs all day long. Job is rewarding and the environment is great. Customers at these small businesses are always the best :)!!

Would not recommend working for this company absolute waste of time

Would not want recommend working here there would be times were there would be money missing from my pay check not worth your time not even as a last resort not properly trained either I had to learn everything on my own and just a big waste of time.

Fair pay, minimal hours, LOTS of drama

The pay is fair for how easy the work is ($17)/hour, however at most you’re going to get around 10-15 hours a week. It’s fine if you’re looking for something super part time just not sustainable for me. The drama that goes on in the store is absolutely insane. Everyday it’s something new. They tend to hire under 18 which is possibly why there’s so much drama, but even then ifs just ridiculous

A wonderful place to work and get knowledge to care for pets.

This was my first job and I LOVED it! I adored my manager and my coworkers, the workload was reasonable, not excessive, the scheduling, while not consistent, was very flexible, if you needed time off they had no problem with accommodating you. If I had the opportunity of working at the Melville Pet Valu I would take it in a heartbeat!

Pros

Very flexible schedules, decent benefits, awesome work environment

Cons

Hours can be inconsistent

Good first job, relaxed, and informative

Very good first time job out of high school or summer job.Relaxed environment. Turn over is large within the company so you get to meet and work with a lot of different people. The pay isn't that great and no benefits.

Productive, fast paced but very fun to work

I loved it mostly because I got to see a lot of animals and aswell learn a lot about them. I got to build connections with some pets and their owners which was my favourite part of the job.

Pros

Seeing animals and paw month is always exciting

Cons

Not enough flexibility in scheduling and don’t get payed for overtime.

Coworkers were great

My coworkers were great to work with. However, we were always short staffed and were without a manger for a few months. We were basically expected to run the store, do inventory orders etc. as a part time employee.

Employee discount are good.

The employee discount are great. Love getting to see all the animals that come in and helping their owners. Employee train could be better for new hires. The environment could be a little better, the store shows favouritism between employees.

Pros

Employee discounts.

Cons

Store Manager

Good work place

I find the petvalu family to be encouraging and understanding. Always willing to help and share in the work.It is a good place for learning and improving one's skills

Good company

Pet Valu actually acknowledges and cares that people have lives outside of work. Flexible hours, good management, friendly customers, great employee discounts, and the best part is having kittens in the store to play with.

Pros

Kittens

Cons

Sometimes we don't always have kittens

Fun place to work

I worked for petvalu for 4 1/2 years. Once it started feelin more like a family and less like a job it was the best experience ever. Wish i never stopped

Rewarding

Physically demanding job, but impossible to have a bad day with so many dogs to greet. The philanthropic work done for local pet charities is extremely rewarding.

Pros

Meeting all the local dogs

Cons

Physically demanding

Fun productive

My boss is one of the best people I have ever met! I got to take a paid for online class at UC Davis to learn all about pet care and nutrition. We also always had cute kittens in the store plus people would bring their dogs in all the time!

Great management but so-so salary and tasks

Fun place to work at and management is great but a lot of cleaning tasks and slow slow days. Breaks are not long and pay is eh for the amount of work you do daily. The discount is a huge plus though.

Pros

Co workers are nice and being able to see dogs

Cons

Long hours and lots of cleaning duties that (atleast where I worked) you had to

Job security isn’t a thing here unless you are higher up

I wasn’t told I was temporary until I saw it on my app that the company uses. They push you through a ton of training coarses, and then if your lucky they’ll keep you for another term. I asked about the temporary thing and everyone is hired as temporary. So if your looking for a secure income just don’t. Also your lucky to get 10 hours a week since they hire to many people. The manager won’t hire students cause there availability when it would make more sense to have 2 full times and a few students that can afford to only work those part time hours. Also the drama behind closed doors is unbelievable. Save yourself there are much better places to work

N/a

The upper management team not nice, they allow things to go on in the store when it’s not professional. It is not a very professional company. They lie to your face when it comes time for corporate to change hands to a franchise. They give ya months notice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement