Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Toxic workplace due to abusive owner
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON15 February 2019
Worked at this particular location for about 7 months and could no longer take the incessant abuse by the owner of the store

The owner actually assaulted me at one point, which was witnessed by the manager, and we were both in shock

The owner also loved to send emails to all staff berating us for how we would behave at work, pay and absences, instead of speaking to us personally about her issues.

Could no longer take the intimidation, assaults, and agression on behalf of the owner of this Pet Valu and HAD to elave
Pros
easy going, could bring pets to work, great customers, free products and discounts
Cons
abusive owner
Productive work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2019
It was an awesome place to start but it just wasn't for me. I put a lot of effort and didn't get showed any appercaition. I wish I would have been able to stay and work but it wasn't for me
Horrible management
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  High River, AB6 February 2019
I have worked here for almost 6 months, the management is horrible, there’s no security cameras or anything, there’s so much drama between co workers. I work full time hours but don’t get benefits because I’m classify as “part time” . Went to hr about the issues I’ve had and they didn’t help. Get paid minimum wage, not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Rude staff, horrible management.
Productive and Fun work environment
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2019
The most enjoyable aspect of this work is being able to interact with customers and animals and discuss the importance of products to the customer and their pet.
The work environment is very relaxed and enjoyable. Coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable
Pros
Getting to give treats and pets to pet customers
Cons
Long shifts
Decent place, good people
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2019
Decent place, good people, close to where I lived, so overall it was a pretty nice place to work. I enjoyed working with the animals there, and most of my days were fairly easy-going.
Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2019
King and Dufferin/Galleria mall owners
Incredibly rude, let people go for illegal reasons, scared staff with outbursts and inconsistency
Pay minimum but ask for the knowledge of a vet tech
0/10 do not do it
Discount for staff is also terrible compared to most retailers
Pros
Doggos and cats
Cons
Being afraid of the owners, having hours cut on a whim
Great Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON30 January 2019
Love of animals, then this is the place to be. Ongoing ability to upgrade your knowledge is encouraged. The Boss being Hands-On was always there to support and mentor.
Fun work place with kitties
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB28 January 2019
I had a lot of fun working here. I leanred a lot about the health of cats dogs reptiles fish and small animals. we supported a lot of animal rescues and had food drives for the animals.
Must love to work with animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, ON23 January 2019
A typical day at work
What you learned - Something new
Management - Not the greatest
Workplace Culture
The Hardest part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job
Respected Pet Store
Pet Expert (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 January 2019
Always well organized, Customers are almost always very great-full for your help. Pet Valu works with local rescues to host cats for up to a week at a time- to help find them a home.
Sketchy place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrington Passage, NS19 January 2019
When I first started working at PetValu, I had to do these videos for training. It said in the employee’s manual that they were to be done within 90 days (my limit) or else you will get terminated at the 90 day review. They also all had to be done in your free time. There were probably over 200 videos I had to watch. I was working on them, and in December it got busier for me (as it does for everyone around the holidays with work and life). The boss was getting aggravated with me because I was taking too long to finish them. One week he tells my manager to tell me that he wants me to have them finished within a week (I wasn’t even half way done by then). I was working a lot that week, plus shopping and getting ready for the holidays. I couldn’t finish them that week (but I did try). I just finished my last three modules Tuesday night (stayed up until 3 or 4 am). I go back to work and it’s a normal day. After a few hours of being there, my manager asks me to come out back with her because the boss wanted to see me. He told me where I didn’t finish the videos when asked, he had to let me go. He also said he didn’t think the job was best for me. They basically used me (so I’ve been told) because they knew back when I was interviewed I had another job (something I actually studied for) lined up. I had to choose what job I wanted because they both wouldn’t let me choose both. Someone who actually knows what has been going on these two months, said that they were just using me for the holidays and made an excuse to fire me. I haven’t even been there for 90 days yet AND I finished  more... the videos, so I wasted my time for nothing. When I was interviewed, they made the job look a lot better than it was so I would choose them instead. I gave up the job I actually studied for and should have chose for a waste of my time. I am not the only employee that has had issues there.  less
Pros
Nice people to work with, you get the days off that you asked for
Cons
Closing alone, too many training videos and quizzes
It's a great working environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON15 January 2019
Pet Valu Leamington is a great place to work. My co-workers have become like family, and the management is very agreeable and easy to work with. It's rewarding to help customers with inquiries about their beloved pets, and I can do so confidently thanks to the extensive training I received through the company.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Pv
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON10 January 2019
This job was fun at the start, and I would suggest to anyone who wants to learn about animals to work there. PV taught me alot about animals even though I try to be very educated myself.
Pros
seeing animals everyday
Cons
Over worked, under paid, under staffed
Retail manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS13 December 2018
A great company to work for. They try hard to work with their staff and find ways to make new transitions workable.
Customer base is nice as well, a great mix of people in my locations.
Pros
Benefits, Decent management, good discounts
Very fun workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg8 December 2018
Absolutely loved my job and my staff members. I enjoyed improving our store as a team and insuring customers had the best possible experience while shopping here.
Franchised location
Customer Service and Receiver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2018
My manager is a hard-working supportive person, is also flexible with scheduling.
The staff are trustworthy and contribute to a positive work environment. Customers are often friendly.
great staff, great customers
pet professional (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 December 2018
great place to work
job not secure
didn t feel appreciation for senior staff
beautiful store
staff knew thier stuff about pet products
open til 9 at night is uneccesary, too late and never busy
life/work balance barely exists
wage not great for the work being done
no benefits for any part time
The warehouse is a mess.
Order Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 November 2018
It took more than 2 months to get an accurate pay. They let people go just to pay others less. Very stingy company.. can't even supply pens. This job involves pushing around a cart that you have to hunt down. You have to lift heavy totes. There is roaches and mice everywhere. The management has their favourites and there is no sense of respect. Its constant demands and they fail to update the team on new concepts. The coworkers are sneaky to take your cart if you happened to arrive earlier and manage to get one that doesn't hurt your wrists. I'm not impressed with this company whatsoever.
Cons
repetitive, all on paper, cheap
productive and fun workplace
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 November 2018
A typical day at work would include most importantly the care and well beings of the animals and helping customers find the best products for their pets.
Pros
employees were very friendly
Cons
poor management
great place to work
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MB9 November 2018
great place to work, lots of learning that needs to be done, get to see animals. get great knowledge of different foods and toys that are suitable for different animals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.