Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Canada321 reviews
High quality training for position and products. Always changing environment with new product lines. Can advance to other positions within the company.
Management treated all employees unfairly regarding pay and overall interactions.
Punished for being sick

Basic necessities like soap in the bathrooms and a lunch break were not provided

Store was cleaned with non pet-friendly chemicals
Pros
People bring their dogs in and you can pet them
Cons
Management is corrupt and inconsiderate
Great co-workers who work well together made all the difference. One of the best jobs I've worked. A great position if you really care about pets and their owners.
Pet valu is really a nice place to work. Management is friendly. People are multi cultural. I really enjoy working this place, although the job is easy but need person to bear responsibility and tackle stress easily.
I worked at PetValu for almost three years. I absolutely loved the job and getting to know the customers. However, management was terrible. After constant complaints and nothing ever getting resolved.. I ended up having to leave because of the harassment from the manager. No one in the company cared that this was taking place.
Strong "team approach", and good collaboration with team members. Good crew of dedicated professionals eager to do what's right, and anxious to get the job done.
Working at PetValu was a lot of fun, getting to not only interact with customers but their pets was awesome. I learned a lot about all different sorts of animals working here.
Provided a positive work environment where everyone felt welcomed and supported. Always had a manageable amount of work to complete. Management and fellow employees were enjoyable to work with.
Duties included opening the store, counting cash float, stocking and facing shelves, cleaning floors. Had to take a 40 hour on line course dealing with pets, health issues, food types etc. The owner was very easy to get along with and the staff were fun to work with. Hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting sometimes and the most enjoyable was meeting the 4 legged customers that came in to visit.
Company is turning over most all Senior team now.
Since former ceo and his girlfriend, the former VP marketing left company.

Ops should be cleaned out.

Most of ops/sales team is complacent and lacks leadership.

Great products, best private label foods in the

Industry.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Pet Valu?
Management is super understanding. Great work/life balance. People there are great to work with. You have your slow times, and you have your busy times. Pretty relaxed otherwise.
Working for this company is fun and challenging. You interact with many members of the public and their pets. Working in the store can be challenging as their are many tasks to be completed besides standing at the counter ringing through customers. You need to take on the whole store for stocking shelves, cleaning and looking after animals.

As a groomer you are responsible for the whole grooming salon. Set up appointments and manage your schedule. Maintain cleanliness and disinfect the equipment and room as needed. Keep supplies stocked and of course produce a great quality grooming experience for the pet and its owner.
Opened everyday, most days were steady and went by considerably fast. Learned about different animals, their needs and health requirements. The hardest part of the job was remembering everything about all the products and needing to use that information in conversation with customers.
Pros
Friendly employees and customers, cute animals
Cons
Cycle counting, can stacking, dusting
I seriously love that job it’s not the best paid but at pet valu we are more like a family everyone is looking out for each other. Best job I ever had and I had some good ones
Fast paced place and that is ok. The problem is they want you to do everything from unloading truck to putaway, replenishment to picking to cleaning up lunch room and toulet
It's too much work for little pay. You are expected to do everything that a manager does with minimum wage. You have to sweep floors, then mop, be a cashier, sales associate, customer services, order stuff for people, a lot of facing, shipment.. not worth the little pennies they give you in return.
I loved working here because as an employee I had the opportunity to work with a variety of people and their pets. The management was excellent and she always adapted or adjusted work schedules to meet your life. Overall, it was a great culture working here and the most enjoyable part of the job was working the truck days, even though it can be tiring.
The job wasn't all that enjoyable except for the interaction with customers and their pets as well as your coworkers. You receive plenty of worthwhile knowledge particularly on the best nutritional food to feed your pet.

Management left a lot to be Desired!!
I have worked at Pet Valu for around two years, during those two years I had some positive experiences with the job but I unfortunately had more negatives. The company does not offer enough hours for the stores to cover all the hours properly. Most times you would work most of a shift alone with no one else in the store - you would be stretched beyond measures to help customers within a timely matter, give the best customer service and keep the store looking presentable. The worst is when you're having to close the store alone while especially after someone leaves at 5pm and you're alone until 9pm trying to help customers, clean, order, face the store, dog washes, laundry, overstock, cash customers out, sweep/mop, etc. Management is not fair, there is definitely favourites presented. The store manager, district manager, and company itself let me down when I was personally attacked/harassed by a fellow co-worker and I brought it to their attention and NOTHING was done. The co-worker got no discipline, no suspension, NOTHING rather I the victim had to work at another location for a month or so to be separated from my co-worker who harassed me. I am very disappointed and disgusted at how this situation was dealt with. I found that this workplace had a lot of workers who were bullies, played mind games and did not care about their workers properly. You're told one thing and another thing happens. There is no respect or appreciation from this company/workplace. You're expected to go over and beyond, yet the company doesn't have your best interests in hand nor even protect you when - more...
Pros
interacting with customers & their pets
Cons
long hours, work most of shift alone, closing alone, stressful, toxic workplace, toxic co-workers, no guarantees, constant whispering behind your back, no respect, only one break - 30 mins only
Supports and enables childish behavior at the expense of better employees. Terrible pay for store expectations in presentation and customer service and knowledge.
Worked at both locations and the owner at Laird treats you, customers, etc. like garbage, always fighting (even with her husband in front of everyone including customers), disrespectful, racist, crazy. If you like yourself stay far far away from this place.