Pet Valu
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Canada397 reviews

Rewarding

Physically demanding job, but impossible to have a bad day with so many dogs to greet. The philanthropic work done for local pet charities is extremely rewarding.

Pros

Meeting all the local dogs

Cons

Physically demanding

Fun productive

My boss is one of the best people I have ever met! I got to take a paid for online class at UC Davis to learn all about pet care and nutrition. We also always had cute kittens in the store plus people would bring their dogs in all the time!

Insights into Pet Valu

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Great management but so-so salary and tasks

Fun place to work at and management is great but a lot of cleaning tasks and slow slow days. Breaks are not long and pay is eh for the amount of work you do daily. The discount is a huge plus though.

Pros

Co workers are nice and being able to see dogs

Cons

Long hours and lots of cleaning duties that (atleast where I worked) you had to

perfect starter job

decently good entry level job - super friendly coworkers and management, learned new skills and lots about pet health and enrichment, lots of adoption events as well

It was okay

Not sure abt the pay, but the location I worked at was pretty chill except for delivery day. There'd be long hours where no one enters the store, then suddenly 3 or 4 people suddenly require your attention and that could get overwhelming. I usually had one other co-worker and we try to keep at least 2 employees in store so that's helpful. Pet care was hardly taught except for the food brands and to encourage selling pet value brands over the others. Manager would come in on some days and add more responsibilities as soon as it seems like there's nothing else to do.But can't complain too much. As a first job, it was alright. Probably depends on the location and the manager.

Great experience all around

I worked at the Alliston location, through two different owners. It was a great place to work, I just couldn’t work at that wage anymore. Customer service workers are not paid enough in general.

Pros

Great boss!

Cons

Insane pet parents.

Stressful workplace

Your experience depends on management, some franchise owners don’t care and will make you work alone on busy weekends handling every single customer yourself. Very fast paced and stressful and not worth minimum wage at all.

Pros

None.

Cons

Working alone, no breaks sometimes, rude mangers

very boring

Pet Value at first is a very nice place to work but the thing about it is that it gets boring after a while there's barely anything to do and if there's nothing to do in the store you have to unnecessarily clean out cans’ shelves dog food check for expiry dates basically repeat the same process every day. it became very tiring and boring even when you try and while away time spending time doing what you're supposed to do, they try and hurry up and like what's the point of hurrying you up if there is actually nothing to do, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone unless you actually really devoted in spending time doing nothing.

Stress-Free workplace for Pet Lovers

Depends on the location - every franchise owners and/or management is different. Fortunately, my franchise workplace culture has been amazing. It's not too fast-paced, balanced work/life schedule, stress-free environment, no forced selling tactics, great part-time job for students, and amazing customers!

Avoid Franchise-Run Pet Valu’s

Management had unrealistic expectations, especially when the majority of the staff were students. Insanely understaffed, 6-10 total employees, and that meant we had to book time off up to 3 months in advance and even then it was never promised. You can advance in your position very quickly (I was “promoted” to supervisor/ key holder within mere months), however, don’t expect a pay raise. I was paid minimum wage to open/close the store, work extra hours, preform extra job responsibilities, submit deposits etc. Very little training provided, most of the newer employees had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Management made no efforts in training them but would be very unforgiving if these new employees made mistakes. Schedules were also released the night before which made it incredibly difficult to plan accordingly. Also not a huge fan of how they would treat the animals there, hermit crabs kept in critter keepers, hamsters allowed no more than a couple cm of bedding, nobody would come in to feed the animals on statutory holidays… it was a mess.

Terrible place to work for. Micromanager, uniforms are needed. Don’t wear patterned sweaters to work.

Terrible place to work for. Very strict on uniform. Salary is also terrible. The only plus side is getting to see the cute animals that come in and the events that are hosted in the summer.

Fun workplace

It’s a really fun place to work if you love seeing puppies come in almost everyday! You get courses to learn about products and animals that helps increase your knowledge.

Meh.

It sucked. Manager complained about being busy and tired all the time, but passed on 99% of their responsibilities onto us, so we did their work for minimum wage. Scheduling was a mess and would change at the last minute. Head office is a nightmare. Most of the regular customers were fantastic and we formed good relationships with them, but it's retail, so you also have to deal with a lot of rude people with virtually no support from the manager. You could be working 5+ hours at a time alone. You get one unpaid 30 minute break, regardless of how long your shift is. If you love pets and value yourself, stay away.

Typical Pet Store Job - With a Little Extra

Classic retail job, ring up the customers, sell the company branded products etc. What sets Pet Valu aside is the franchise management. For better or for worse the owners/manager really do care about the store, and in some part their staff. Training goes above and beyond that of a regular retail job to try to make you a bit of an expert in your field (even if you aren't paid like one). Overall if you enjoy learning and discussing about pet nutrition and care you will enjoy this company.

Great place

This is definitely a company to work for if you love animals and enjoy customer service. The education side of things is incredibly robust and enjoyable to learn. Even now, no longer working there I feel like I use the knowledge they gave me every day.

Pros

Great environment

Fun Fast-Paced Environment

Enjoyed working for Pet Valu. Every location is different, and some are corporate, and some are franchise. Franchise was nice because you get great discounts, and often you get free food.

Pros

Free Dog Food

Cons

Working Alone

Management isn't great

I worked for PetValu in Lethbridge (West side location) for a few months. There was lots of learning to do, as it was a pet store and with many different kinds of pets and breeds, everyday training occurred. I thought that this job would be terrific for me as I loved animals and it was a part time job for me to work while going to school.Management was not great. They would pick favourites and would not entertain complaints/concerns. I did not work long because of issues with management. I thought that leaving and finding a different position somewhere else was better for me.

Great workplace

Great and friendly staff very welcoming , explained duties well and had a plethora of new animals. Very kind and knowledgeable owners. Flexible if you cannot make a shift you need only let them know and they will accommodate if they can

Pretty good for part time or short term

A pretty good company to work for, the training in nutrition is interesting. Stores are owned by different people so when it comes to management /owners it depends. It’s not bad for a minimum wage job.

Excellent team, fun work

I really enjoyed my time at this company. The workload was relaxed and the team was very supportive of each other. It's also a fun workplace when you get to talk about pets all day.

Good place to work, a bit slow and can get boring at times.

Coworkers were very friendly and made the job more enjoyable. The discounts were good and I learned a lot about pets and pet food. Definitely not fast paced, very relaxed work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement