Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employee Reviews

The job it's self is really easy to get the hang of. You get to see lots of animals and meet new people. Every petvalu I have worked at has terrible management. None of the managers I have had good leadership skills.
Pros
Free product knowledge
Cons
Bad management
Company has big expectations for its part timers which makes them leave quickly. Managers get blamed for not doing enough to curve bad behaviors however dm is the one who approved action. Dm talks to management team about other managers on the team. Support is had to find. Broken promises are common. All responsibility no authority. All the push back you could ask for everyone outside store level pushes issues back to store level.
Pros
Discount, bonus
Cons
Understaffed on purpose. High turnover
A frustrating experience working for the corporate office of Pet Valu. Decision-making made by people who simply do not have the experience or knowledge to be in those roles. Not every manager was clueless, but some in very important positions were. Constant guessing and no real ability to lead and give direction. Pay was average; benefits and perks were bottom of the market or non-existent.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Pretty much everything else
I loved my coworkers and most of my customers. The pay was awful for how much they wanted you to do especiallyby yourself. Worked most shifts by myself and had to clean, stock shelves, help customers, rotate stock, watch our store aninals and more for only minimum wage. I worked there a year and a half and took home less than 10 grand so I had to work 2 other jobs. And upper management does not care about you.
Pros
Great girls to work with, amazing customers
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, over worked, upper management sucks
Probably the worst workplace I’ve been with. Co workers constantly gossiped about one another, and management didn’t have any compassion or respect. Anything you told or asked someone in private or confidence would automatically be known in the workplace, resulting in talking about you behind your back. There are much better places to work at, trust me.
Pros
Get to see animals everyday
Cons
Disrespect, gossip, management
LOTS of heavy lifting. Catty coworkers and hypocrisy from both employees and management. Not only physically exhausting, but mentally as well. It's nice to see peoples pets when they bring them in but it really does not level out.
Pros
Cute pets brought in, discounts on pet food and supplies
Cons
Too many tasks and not enough staff to do them, management doesn't care or offer solutions
At the store I was working at the management was segregated with the senior staff versus the younger staff. The mentality of the management is to “play a game until you win and beat everybody else”The wage is not worth the physical labour they put you through every day. No paid training and no respect They would tell sales associates to do their part of the job when the management wouldn’t do theirs
Pros
Literally no pros other than meeting other coworkers
Cons
Bad management, poor hours, poor customer service, always dirty, unorganized behind the scenes
No interest in anyone with disabilities. Rather than help they scoff at personal problems. Bottom line is their only interest. Toxic and mean environment. If someone isn’t crying they’re not doing their job.
Pros
Cons
Bullying
Extremely poor management. (Worst I’ve ever seen)Most employees slack off and don’t get spoken to about it. They also have a high turnover rate. They will promise you full time hours but will always cut your hours.(no benefits for full time employees unless you’re management) No proper training provided. Underpaid for the amount of work and stress you're expected to put on. Very unorganized. Very unprofessional.
Pros
Meeting new pets
Cons
Woking at Pet Valu in my experience was like watching a remake of the Stanford Prison Experiment. Management picks and chooses favourites, and if you aren't willing to suck up to management and involve yourself in gossip, or be a tattle tale to management, you will most likely be targeted by them. Those who are favourited by management are not only authorized to bully and order around the other workers, but it felt as though they were encouraged. It makes the environment very uncomfortable to work in, especially when you are only trying to do your job but feel like you have to defend yourself against management every shift.The head manager of my location refused to hire any male employees, so the entire team is made up of females. As you can probably imagine, this resulted in the girls pinning against one another rather than contributing to a team effort. It felt as though there was nothing I could do to make management happy. There would be days that I would come home exhausted after repetitively lifting and facing 40lb bags, and it would be so frustrating to know that even when I would be trying my hardest, management would still try to find something to pick on me for. The pay seems decent at first, and you may be fooled to believe that this job is a really great opportunity, but take caution. I have six years worth of retail experience at multiple job locations. This has been by far the worst. The $12.50/hr is not worth the berating that you will face working for this franchise. Apply elsewhere.
Pros
Get to give treats to dogs
Cons
Too many to list
This is a job. If your looking for a job to get up to everyday and go to this is it. But if you looking for a place that supports you, appreciates you, pays you fairly for the work required, and has room for advancement... this is not the job for you. I worked there for over a year never saw a single raise even though I was a key holder. Ina general day at work you would open or close each shift sometimes would would have to do so alone. Then you would have to face and brand the store, do overstock, clean, help customers, do the till usually alone until noon when the next person got there. We worked 8.5 our shifts with unpaid breaks and management frankly didn’t care. There was a general consensus of feeling unappreciated regardless of how much/ how hard you worked. It was a good job for a while but like all retail it is a revolving door of staff with little reliance
Pros
Dogs, pet food knowledge
Cons
Unpaid breaks, poor management, low wages, too much work for not enough money
I personally had a great time when I was working here, they do have a lot of structure to follow and you will have sales goals but the management was positive and outgoingThe main cons with working here is that they limit the amount of hours per store and kinda make employees compete for them, at least when I worked for them they did, so it might be hard to work one job with them.And they dont really hire from within too often, although I'm sure being picky about management might not be a bad thing in all cases hahaYou do learn a lot working with a petvalu and its many other stores though! They have really good training and I do remember my job fairly positively.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Mostly hires for part time
I worked as a manager for 5 years , never missed sales goals, always high 90's on stour visits, always received bonus, took it upon myself to help multiple local charitys. All to be blind sided the day before another raise was due and was let go "without cause" , made to leave like a criminal, wasn't allowed to retrieve my personal belongings, still do this day no explanation. Proving what I was always told about the company "don't over work yourself for them , to them you are only a replaceable body "
Pros
customers are fantastic
Cons
will fire you for no reason
Management is very toxic High turnover rate Environment is very stressful at timesCustomers are hit or missThe job in general was fine Not for people who hate heavy lifting Good place to be if you love animals Too much pressure from management Too much responsibility Depending on location closing alone at night
Pros
Ok discount fun to see animals
Cons
Awful management toxic environment
Management at both Bridgewater locations is a complete joke and higher management is no better. Management in the stores telling customers that the prescription vet food they feed is garbage and need to switch to something the store sells is not safe for the animals and completely unethical. Consistently being belittled by management made for a toxic work environment, not to mention substance abuse that gets blatantly ignored because the district manger doesn’t want to deal with it.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Great place to work, very relaxed. Just not good pay and steady hours. Good place for students to work, as most pet valus are flexible with the schedule.
Horrible place to work , the leadership team at this place do not care about there workers . Safety is the last thing on this company's agenda. Not a good place to work
Pros
The is still a chance not to apply
Cons
Too much to list
Great place to work. Not always consistent with direction but we figure it out. Alot can happen or change at the same time so must be adaptable. Like any management job it has its good and bad days
Pros
Great staff discount
Cons
Alot of work with not enough hours
Working for the corporation was awesome! They treat employees very well, yearly raises, benefits, 2 weeks paid vacation time. Then the store was bought and turned to franchise, Working for the franchise side of it was not good. The franchisee was rude. Had ZERO interest in working with a manager at all- treated the staff like we were morons and we didn’t know anything- got several complaints from customers about them and when it was brought to their attention we got in trouble for it. Weren’t allowed to change anything or do anything even though we had worked at that location for years before they had gotten there. I do not recommend working for this company unless it’s a corporate store.
Pros
Paid sick days, vacation time through corporate.
Cons
The store can be bought at any time and become a franchise store and everything changes.
The company did not care at all about the store. Co-workers were brain dead. No one cared for the animals properly. No manager for nearly 2 months. I ran the till while co-workers sat in the office or got angry that they had to help customers. Co-workers left garbage in the office.
Pros
nothing
Cons
closing by yourself. horrible management. run-down building.
seems so great until your a couple months in. schedule starts from a Sunday to Saturday, you will find out on Friday if you work THAT Sunday/rest of the week or not. Manipulative & mentally abusive. Management is DISGUSTING.
Pros
Customers, animals.
Cons
Management, management, management.
  1. Employee reviews