Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Productive and fast pace environment
Senior Inventory Administrator (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC10 October 2018
a usual day will start with a normal coffee and it will get intense and fast as it goes by. a small daily meeting in the morning to discuss how the day is looking. Nice people and good working environment over all.
Pros
Convenient working hours
Cons
Lower pay grades
Decent Starting wage, good training
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2018
In the time I was there the company's focus seemed to change from taking care of the customer to pushing their own product and it really affected the overall work environment causing good people to leave.
Pros
Adoptable cats in store
Cons
Great workplace and environment to work in!
Sales person (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 September 2018
I love working there but getting paid minimum wage after working there for five years is not paying the bills and there is just no sight of advancement.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No advancement
if owner doesnt like you watch out, lose hours and respect
Cashier (Former Employee) –  lundys lane and kalar6 September 2018
I started working as a temp, but when the owner went and hired one person, I let it slide, then someone quits and she hires a new full-time person. Not once did she offer me a permanent position. I guess she never liked me as a person even tho I was good at what I did, dusting every day to look busy. When I stopped dusting, no one else did it! She made me feel incompetent and insulted. I dreaded going into work for my shifts, then the hours started dropping by 10 hours a week, I had to give notice, she was glad, she didn't even want her 2-week notice so I left after one shift.
Cons
Employees liked me as a person, and I loved all the pets that came shopping with their, sometime snooty owners
Productive work environment
Store Front Employee (Former Employee) –  Fall River, NS30 August 2018
I truly enjoyed working at this Nova Scotia location, amazing staff, and amazing customers. There wasn't a day that I didn't go in anxious or upset. Staff really made sure that you were trained properly, and helped with checking expiration dates, and restocking.
Pros
30 minute breaks
Cons
I recieved shorter shifts, requested longer hours.
Just pickbup boxes and put them in a compact machine
Heavy-duty cleaner (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC16 August 2018
Picking boxes and plastics from the working area and put them in a garage container for plastics and garbage but cardbox I do put them in a compact machine.
Pros
Free poza
Cons
No long hours
Great After School Job
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 August 2018
This is a perfect stepping stone kinda job. Not a job/career I could see myself doing forever. It was the kinda job that it allowed me to do upgrading so I could go back to school to improve my life/career.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No room for advancement when such a small place.
Excellent company - Franchise owners are Independant
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 August 2018
Pet Valu has an amazing work culture and it shows with the excellent service, clean stores and pride staff takes in the job.
Note: Stores are individually franchised. Some store owners can be difficult.
Advice: Caution who you work for.
Pros
Great training, fun team, good Managers, flexible
Cons
Owners can be mean
was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 July 2018
the management and corporation is a mess. they don't take new and improved ideas into consideration, are rude and hostile. one positive is that i loved all the costumers and all the animals that i can into contact with.
unprofessional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 July 2018
Highest stress level I have ever worked in. Unloading trucks in 40 below weather at the same time serving customers. Working alone a lot of the time. No help no support. Lots of work in Grande Prairie you don't need to work here.
working with animals
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB4 July 2018
Can be very demanding but also a great experience. Have to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Most enjoyable thing about this job is interacting with all the animals that came on and working with rescue centers.
Pros
playing with the animals
Cons
putting away inventory
Great Place
Senior Manager of Logistics (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2018
Can't say anything more then a great place to work!The work to life balance is great. Alot of business happens early morning but just means your day is done early afternoon
Director, Organizational Development (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON25 June 2018
Pet Valu offers many career opportunities. The offices are modern and comfortable. The management team is focused and friendly. Lots of free parking.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Commute through Markham can be daunting
easy to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 June 2018
I worked for this company over 17 years ago so I can't really say what the culture is like now. The franchise I worked at I ran. I didn't have very much interaction with the head office but didn't have any issues when I did
excellent staff, excellent training provided
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 May 2018
very organized in preparing staff with knowledgeable information about product. Straight forward tasks are given, and very enjoyable environment. Over all very nice place to work at.
Hostile Environment Created by Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
Pet Valu was probably the worst job I have ever worked at. For the entire time of my employment, I was always uneasy going into work and while being there. The managers were manipulative and bait you into thinking this was the best career move and then treat you horribly. I have never been anxious about going into work or being at a job in my employment history but this place never sat well with me.

Management would tell you to come to them with problems but once you did, use it against you and drop your name to other employees. They would tell you to keep busy but most of the time would just stand there delegating work and micro managing you. My manager in particular knew it would make me uncomfortable and continue to hover while I tried to do things.

Icing on the cake is my dog passed away shortly before I quit and they made me feel bad for needing time off saying "we need you to come in for the rest of your shifts, if you need time you can sit in the back room."

They'll ask you to get involved and be apart of the team but as soon as you have an idea, it will be shot down.

Honestly such a hostile and unhealthy environment.

Slightly above minimum wage to be doing lifting labor almost all day from stocking 40LBS+ Bags and doing delivery on truck days with NO benefits. (Would make sense to include some given the amount of strain on your back)

When I finally quit, I was shamed over quitting and treated absolutely horribly. I ended up finding out my management had been talking about me, making up stories of things I "said" and telling employees. Even AFTER I
  more... quit I had employees messaging me with attacks about things I had apparently said behind their backs according to my MANAGER. Funny how in all of these conversations, I was never once included?

8.5 Hour shifts if you're full time and they'll mess around with your hours out of some power trip if they feel you're not doing well enough.

All locations are franchised and therefore different but mine was definitely terrible. They had ads up for job openings but anyone who came in my manager would scoff at after they left and try so hard to find a problem with their resume because interviews are "awkward".
Pros
Pets
Cons
Management, Work Environment, Wage
Best job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB16 April 2018
I absolutely LOVE this job, the atmosphere, the co-workers. I’ve learned so much on this job and absolutely love helping the customers and the dog wash and adoptables. I love things like pet appreciation month where 100% of donations stay in the community, so many other chain supply stores wouldn’t do this and it warms my heart so much.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun atmosphere, good certificates, very knowledgeable on all things “pets”
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2018
Typical day at work consists of handeling customers, making sure you give them the best possible advice, help them find what they’re looking for, and answering their questions accurately. I learned a lot about animals and their diets. They offer a “pet expert” certificate program which is full of information. Management was very easy to deal with, very much a family atmosphere. Most enjoyable part of the job was the animals.
a pretty decent place to work at
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB11 April 2018
I mostly stocked shelves with new products that came into the store, I learnt a lot about what being a pet store clerk was about. The management in the pet value I worked in was alright. The hardest part of the job was making sure the pet baths and all the floors were clean all the time, the part I most enjoyed about that job was the rescue cats that would live in store until adopted.
Pros
discount pet products
Cons
no breaks unless working 7 or more hours
Great friendly environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE/ASSISTANT DOG GROOMER PET VALU (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 April 2018
wonderful people, really nice and understanding. enjoyed the company. i liked all the customers too; super funny and nice and always lots to talk about.
Pros
nice lunch breaks
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.