Pet Food N' More

Pet Food N' More Employee Reviews

It was a good place to work and in a wonderful location. Staff and very helpful and friendly. I enjoyed my time as assistant manager but definitely think a highr wage is a must.
The owner and regional managers are impossible to get a hold of when you need them. Store managers and supervisors are hit and miss. Had a great store manager who held the whole place together. Our store trained some managers for other stores that I was amazed didnt get fired for their conduct. Most of the supervisors are great, but some abuse their power.
The management is awful. The staff used to be cohesive, but management changes has made the store near unworkable. Unreceptive you’re employee complaints, show little regard for employee interests and comfort. Very fast paced but don’t pay enough for it. Staff who have been there for years make a pittance above minimum wage. Used to be a great place to work, has nosedived.
Fast paced, stressful at times. It was a workout but it was good. Lots of stuff to get done. No one to distract you from your work and loading the truck, was never a dull moment.
Work load is very dependent on a day by day basis, sometimes it was more than what was expected from the hourly wage. Above minimum wage but did not raise once minimum wage was increased. There was some workplace harassment that was not dealt with properly and led to some staff members leaving. Minimum growth within the company and inconsistent hours.
Was told I could not keep my other job and could start two weeks after putting my notice in. About 10 days into the job, I got fired by the regional manager whom I had never met before this day with no solid reason, and one I did not ask for. I was never given any inkling beforehand that I was doing anything wrong. I understand perhaps there was no obligation to give me any feedback on my performance in a week and a half there, but some communication would have been nice.
Great place to work Upbeat and happy environment Friendly staff Lots to do all the time Pay is above average with no health, dental or vision benefits
Started out a dollar above minimum wage, was rejected a raise after minimum wage caught up to my wage. Had to deal with some workplace bullying that wasn't handled properly. The job itself is fun and great, loved working in a pet store. There is no growth in the company and there isn't stable hours.
Pros
pet supplies discount
Cons
unorganized, workplace bullying
As the summary says, very typical retail / pet store. It was not high-volume like Pet Smart, and valued customer service, however could be really slow. The store was well run, and paid $12.50/hr for part timers (above BC minimum wage in 2014). Best part of the day was seeing the customer's cats and dogs.
Overall Pet Food N' More has been a rewarding job with low stress. Awesome coworkers and the manager is very pleasant to be around.
Pros
Animals are allowed leashed or carried in the store
Cons
A typical day at Pet Food N More can be different depending on the day. Sometimes it's so busy it's hard to get certain tasks done in an 8 hour shift. On others you get so far ahead you don't know what to do. I've learned plenty of things from working with this company, from Pet Nutrition, to how to manage people. I've learned how to set pricing based off product cost, as-well as setting sales pricing based of Margin% and over-all sales statistics. The management and Co-worker teams are well picked and tend to be chosen based off how well they not only work in general, but their capabilities to work as a team and over see problems together rather then leaving it all for one person to deal with. The hardest part of the job is really trying to organize the time to cover as much ground as possible. I personally have excellent time management skills, but I always set high expectations, so there are times i brought work home with me to finish. The most enjoyable thing though has to be all the pets that come through our doors. You meet the nicest people and when they bring in their pets it's always an excitable time. I mean who doesn't love animals?
Pros
Opportunity to learn and grow.
Cons
Sometimes the work load seems a little heavier then it should be. But you learn to deal with it.