Penningtons Employee Reviews

Supportive Environment but lack of environment surroundings
Fashion Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 February 2018
Good environment for workers to complete their tasks and assist customers. There were times of mistreatment towards customers by a few coworkers when they were having a bad day. Lack of skills to keep personal matters personal. Very supportive community with the works but was almost a con because there was too much welcoming of emotions to work.
Pros
Great environment to heighten communication skills and help people
Cons
Unreliable hours
Fun
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2018
fast paced and dynamic work environment. never a dull moment to be had. customers quickly become friendly and building those trusting relationships with your customers are encouraged.
We are a family! Fun, productive, and great customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 January 2018
Love working here. The staff are amazing, make you feel like family. So much fun! They often call ahead of getting to work to see if you want anything from timmies :D
Pros
Saturdays= timbits
Cons
Can be chaotic
Achieving a sale for a satisfied customer
Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL17 January 2018
The best part of the job was working with my customers and helping them find great deals.
I enjoyed being able to set them up with new clothes that put a smile on their faces.
Pros
Flexible hours
Great workplace with friendly coworkers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 January 2018
Working at Penningtons was a great first job experience. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and the work was difficult but fair. A typical work day consisted of helping customers find the right outfits for them and then accessorizing what they had. Our policy was to dress our customers from the inside out, top to bottom. I quickly learned what I had to do and how to complete each task efficiently. The management was very friendly and she was not only the boss but also a friend to all of the staff members. The hardest part of the job was on our busiest days when there was no time to just stop and relax for even a second. It was especially difficult when an evening rush was unexpected and there were only two staff members present to help 30 customers. However, those days were always the most rewarding, especially seeing the smiles on customers faces when they found something that fit them perfectly and that they felt comfortable wearing.
Pros
50% discount on all regular items
Cons
Not enough work hours one week and then the next having too many hours
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 November 2017
Awesome place to work! Uplifting environment and tries to make every fun for everyone. Shopping with the customers, trying to help them find something they feel like a queen in. It was awesome.
be careful, they lie....alot
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 October 2017
I was approached while I was working at another job. Penningtons has no loyalty to their employees and will lie to get you to work there, everything I was told was false and they waited the 2 weeks it took me to leave my other job to cut everything they promised.
They also claim to be customer focused, they are not. All they care about is sales, and how much you can push on people even though it makes customers super uncomfortable. All they see is numbers.
there isn't enough staff on shifts, so piles of clothing get so big it takes 2 days to fold and put them out.
Cons
cant be trusted, only cares about sales
Positive Working environment
Fashion Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2017
I still work at the Barrhaven location and I love it. All the girls are nice and helpful. They are very helpful and you are encouraged to ask questions. The managment is absolutelty fantastic!
Pros
Great working environnment
Cons
Fewer hours for entry kevel employees
Good if you want low hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2017
Too much staff and they continued to hire when we had no hours.I was getting 3 hours a week to 0 hours in a week. Management was okay but didn't seem to care about medical emergencies. I likes almost everyone I worked with,
Pros
good relationships, nice staff, 50% discount
Cons
Didn't feel like there was much compassion for anyone, little to no hours
been a while
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2017
very nice place to work the company is a good company to work for offers on discounts on clothes with penn or the partner companys....................
Fun place to work
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON17 July 2017
Penningtons is a great place to work, especially if you need to grow your personal wardrobe as staff gets 50% discount on all merchandise. Unfortunately, because you have constantly be wearing current trends and fashion, you often end up spending too much of your paycheck on clothing. Very difficult to get anything more than part-time, minimum wage pay. Shifts are usually 3 hours and there are also on call shifts that are very inconvenient, especially if you work two jobs (which you'd have to because you'll never be full time). Not great if you're uncomfortable being a little bit pushy as you're encouraged to be a pushy sales person to meet targets.
Pros
fun, upbeat work environment, staff discount
Cons
short shifts are barely worth your time, very hard floors, only ever part time
great customers
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 July 2017
Love encouraging women to dress to their full potential. Best part of the job is being able to help build self confidence and fit our ladies in great fashionable clothing
Fun place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC9 July 2017
Great place to learn customer service skills. Everyone is treated like family and it makes for a comfortable place of business. Would highly recommend this job to anyone.
fun place to work with great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 June 2017
Pennington's is probably one of the greatest places to work...people were like family...it was a fun very people oriented work place......I miss it lots!
Pros
great people, great work enviroment
Cons
no opportunity to move up...
Productive workplace
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
I learned many new things and earned a lot of job experience. I learned how to be committed and get the job done. It was a great place and I enjoyed working there.
Good environment, great coworkers
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2017
I left because I didn't have enough hours which made money inconsistent for life purposes, other than that it was a great job where you can easily earn retail experience, the coworkers I had were amazing, management was awesome for teaching just wish the hours were better
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
Lack of hours
Love working there
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 May 2017
Penningtons in Cambridge is a great store to work at. We have an excellent team and great managers as well. We work as a team and help each other better our selves . Fashion is a passion of mine and I love making women feel confident and beautiful.
n/a
Fashion Associate/Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
my responsibility was primarily to receive and process the incoming stock. i would then ensure that it made its way onto the floor in a timely manner and place it in the designated spot according to head office directives.
Loved working at Penningtons
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 April 2017
Management was fantastic. Company was amazing, great discount! Towards the end of my employment I found that they were too focused on sales, I felt like a used car salesman but hopefully that has changed.
Horrible Management, Good Discount
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON17 April 2017
I was in my first year of college when I started this job and worked here for about a year. The location I worked at went through 5 managers for the duration of my employment. The managers would all go through a period of extreme stress, then within the next weeks the district manager would come in and fire them.

One should not have been fired she was the best of all the managers we went through. She was charming, bubbly, always dressed up with hair and make-up done, sales were okay. It disgusted me how the company would just fire managers for poor sales. The store was obviously in a bad location. If you want to be a manager for Reitmans make sure you have good numbers its all they care about.

The staff including upper management were very catty and immature, many of the girls would complain about one another. Stay out of it and you'll survive!
Pros
Discount at all Reitmans Stores.
Cons
Horrible management, Horrible customers.