Penningtons Employee Reviews

Don’t walk, run from this company!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia4 June 2018
Absolutely horrific place to work. This company has no idea what they are doing. Sales are terrible so they blame the employees. Maybe it’s the overpriced garbage you sell?
The customers are mostly awful, entitled, rude, demanding!

Worst experience of my career!
Pros
Zero
Cons
Awful customers, no support from upper management, extreme work load, you get written up for everything and anything.
Welcoming workplace
Fashion Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 May 2018
Every coworker that is there or has been hired on is very welcoming and friendly. Really enjoy going to work everyday. My manager and other management are great!
Pros
Laughs, hardworking, fun
Cons
Computers dont work sometimes
Productive and fun workplace with good management
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2018
It was a good place to work, I was just young and unfortunately didn’t get to stay long. I wouldn’t be opposed to working for the company again now that it’s bwen a few years !
Pros
Being understanding of school
Cons
High shelves
Amazing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gander, NL8 May 2018
perfect place to work when you have other things in your live, the hours are very fluid and easy to move based on your every day life. the people are also very nice, both the customers and the employees.
Communication issues
Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON5 May 2018
Great company for may years. However the last few years they have lost sight of core company values of respect, integrity and growth. Middle management needs to remember what it's like on the front line and be supportive during challenges, instead of accusations and making management feel as if failures. There are some very smart, intelligent buisness woman with in the organization with guidance and support could and would flourish. However no person can succeed when they feel constantly like a failure. I enjoyed my time with this company and hope they will raise up and improve the communications they have with their teams and be great again.
Pros
Clients, discount, training opportunities, job stability
Cons
Middle management
Great Job but management problems
Fashion Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON21 April 2018
I worked here for just under a year within that time frame we went through about 4 management changes. This is not a stable place to work with very little advancement options. They work on favoritism for promotions and I have seen it happen with their disciplinary actions as well. When I was first there I loved it but slowly the company changes have made this not a good place to work or grow.
Pros
Great Discount
Cons
Bad Management
Fun job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 April 2018
Very fun job. Very number driven company. A great starter job or part time job. There is no room to advance. There are an awful lot of bosses. Not always working well together.
Pros
Great starter job or part time job.
Cons
No room to advance.
Supportive Environment but lack of environment surroundings
Fashion Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 February 2018
Good environment for workers to complete their tasks and assist customers. There were times of mistreatment towards customers by a few coworkers when they were having a bad day. Lack of skills to keep personal matters personal. Very supportive community with the works but was almost a con because there was too much welcoming of emotions to work.
Pros
Great environment to heighten communication skills and help people
Cons
Unreliable hours
Fun
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2018
fast paced and dynamic work environment. never a dull moment to be had. customers quickly become friendly and building those trusting relationships with your customers are encouraged.
We are a family! Fun, productive, and great customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 January 2018
Love working here. The staff are amazing, make you feel like family. So much fun! They often call ahead of getting to work to see if you want anything from timmies :D
Pros
Saturdays= timbits
Cons
Can be chaotic

Want to know more about Penningtons?

Ask a question
Achieving a sale for a satisfied customer
Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL17 January 2018
The best part of the job was working with my customers and helping them find great deals.
I enjoyed being able to set them up with new clothes that put a smile on their faces.
Pros
Flexible hours
Great workplace with friendly coworkers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 January 2018
Working at Penningtons was a great first job experience. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and the work was difficult but fair. A typical work day consisted of helping customers find the right outfits for them and then accessorizing what they had. Our policy was to dress our customers from the inside out, top to bottom. I quickly learned what I had to do and how to complete each task efficiently. The management was very friendly and she was not only the boss but also a friend to all of the staff members. The hardest part of the job was on our busiest days when there was no time to just stop and relax for even a second. It was especially difficult when an evening rush was unexpected and there were only two staff members present to help 30 customers. However, those days were always the most rewarding, especially seeing the smiles on customers faces when they found something that fit them perfectly and that they felt comfortable wearing.
Pros
50% discount on all regular items
Cons
Not enough work hours one week and then the next having too many hours
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 November 2017
Awesome place to work! Uplifting environment and tries to make every fun for everyone. Shopping with the customers, trying to help them find something they feel like a queen in. It was awesome.
be careful, they lie....alot
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 October 2017
I was approached while I was working at another job. Penningtons has no loyalty to their employees and will lie to get you to work there, everything I was told was false and they waited the 2 weeks it took me to leave my other job to cut everything they promised.
They also claim to be customer focused, they are not. All they care about is sales, and how much you can push on people even though it makes customers super uncomfortable. All they see is numbers.
there isn't enough staff on shifts, so piles of clothing get so big it takes 2 days to fold and put them out.
Cons
cant be trusted, only cares about sales
Positive Working environment
Fashion Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2017
I still work at the Barrhaven location and I love it. All the girls are nice and helpful. They are very helpful and you are encouraged to ask questions. The managment is absolutelty fantastic!
Pros
Great working environnment
Cons
Fewer hours for entry kevel employees
Good if you want low hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2017
Too much staff and they continued to hire when we had no hours.I was getting 3 hours a week to 0 hours in a week. Management was okay but didn't seem to care about medical emergencies. I likes almost everyone I worked with,
Pros
good relationships, nice staff, 50% discount
Cons
Didn't feel like there was much compassion for anyone, little to no hours
been a while
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2017
very nice place to work the company is a good company to work for offers on discounts on clothes with penn or the partner companys....................
Fun place to work
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON17 July 2017
Penningtons is a great place to work, especially if you need to grow your personal wardrobe as staff gets 50% discount on all merchandise. Unfortunately, because you have constantly be wearing current trends and fashion, you often end up spending too much of your paycheck on clothing. Very difficult to get anything more than part-time, minimum wage pay. Shifts are usually 3 hours and there are also on call shifts that are very inconvenient, especially if you work two jobs (which you'd have to because you'll never be full time). Not great if you're uncomfortable being a little bit pushy as you're encouraged to be a pushy sales person to meet targets.
Pros
fun, upbeat work environment, staff discount
Cons
short shifts are barely worth your time, very hard floors, only ever part time
great customers
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 July 2017
Love encouraging women to dress to their full potential. Best part of the job is being able to help build self confidence and fit our ladies in great fashionable clothing
Fun place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC9 July 2017
Great place to learn customer service skills. Everyone is treated like family and it makes for a comfortable place of business. Would highly recommend this job to anyone.