Penningtons Employee Reviews

I loved working here!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK12 April 2019
I absolutely enjoyed working here! I loved getting a 50% discount on clothing and also appreciated how valued my manager made us as a team feel. The customers were usually always friendly as well.
Pros
Good management, great atmosphere, clothing discount, decent hours for part time
Cons
Not the greatest pay
Clothing discount and fun atmopshere
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON3 March 2019
Started out as a great job with great people to work with, but within a few months everything changed. We got a new manager who was very rude to both customers and team members, which then lead to people leaving. The manager hired in a bunch of staff but did not train them or care about the standards of customer service, or store policies. When staff reached out to our area manager we were met with laughter and lack of interest in any situation. It was at this point I decided that even as a second job it wasnt worth my time or energy to continue. To top this off, their head office did not do their due diligence when it came to pay roll and some how did not take ANY taxes off my pay for the ENTIRE year, which left me paying a lot out of pocket and i could not risk this happening again.
Pros
50% discount on clothes
Cons
terrible management
Working at Penningtons
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2019
On an average day, I would spend my time rotating between working at the cash, on the floor, which included but was not limited to helping customers find the items they were looking, also I worked in the back with the change room, where I was responsible to keep the rooms clean, reorganize the clothes and preparing new clothes to go out into the store. This job helped my customer service skills, I was able to improve upon my communication skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a customer find what they desired, and seeing a customer happy when they found an item of items of clothing that they loved.
Pros
Amazing coworkers.
Staff are great to work with
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BC1 February 2019
Love the company, not much room to develop into more leadership positions. The employees are great to work with as is Management. Great Benefits for Full time employees.
Meh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 January 2019
When first started, management was excellent, everyone there was wonderful. The manager at the time resigned, and we got a new manager. Longtime associates quit under this new management, and despite many complaints, she was still kept around. I quit because of the manager at the time, as I didn't feel like I was a valuable part of a team.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB10 January 2019
My co-workers are great to work with, the management is great. The customers are regulars and they are really nice. There is always music playing so it’s a nice and light atmosphere.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Not enough shifts
Worst place ive ever worked
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC13 December 2018
Absolutely the worst company I've ever worked for. Upper management treats you like garbage HR could care less about their employees. The pay sucks for amount of work your required to do. In the course of my two year employment I went threw three managers because if you don't do everything they expect of you they write you up for it degrade you talk down to you not to mention the constant talking behind your back as well as talking about other employees. Upper management does not follow their own policies and procedures. HR is supposed to be there to support you and listen and enforce rules but they dont. They will push you out. The only good thing about it was my team. If your part time there will be times you won't have hours for 2 weeks too 2 months. They make hours and schedules and will cut your shift with very little notice. I was the team lead for a year and a half and made $1 more than a part time associate but was required to do a ton of stuff sometimes working 8/9 days straight. Would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Upper management, workload, no time off from November to January
Would go back in a heartbeat...
FASHION ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 December 2018
Depending on which location you were working at your first five minutes were spent going over what the deals/sales were in the store- sometimes this meant ignoring customers that were waiting in line but we'll get to that. This was such a helpful tool since sometimes you wouldn't be scheduled for a couple days at a time. Next the SFL (Sales Floor Leader) usually a manager, would tell you what you'd be doing or have to do during your shift. This could range from unboxing new stock, restocking the floor, cleaning, or sometimes all of the above. Depending on the week's hours you would usually be working with 1-2 other employees.
When it came to breaks, it was so unorganized and made working the long 8-hour shifts even more dreadful. Half-hour breaks were given in order of who started first and sometimes they were given two hours into your shift. Fifteen-minute breaks were a luxury and you had to ask and give a reason why you "needed another break." But you could always catch the manager hanging out in the back after her thirty or just randomly throughout the day.
Going back to the way customers were treated; it wasn't good. Now as the minimum wage employee, I tried to treat our customers with every ounce of respect in my body, along with most of the staff. But there were a few employees that tended to make them feel like less than, which in turn made them not want to come back or even worse return with a bone to pick. Diffusing the situations that were caused by other employees or the manager quickly became part of the job, and you tended to find yourself taking over when they
  more... first walked into the door. Fortunately, this led to close relationships with certain customers who could always count on you to help them with whatever they wanted from bra fits, to simply grabbing them the next size.
I was happy to learn the ins and out of retail through this position and would've stayed if it wasn't for the way the manager ran the store- oh and the 50% of the clothing wasn't bad either... Penningtons is a great place to work if you're fashion-forward, with a big heart for women who sometimes don't know their worth.
Pros
Staff, Discount, Customers
Cons
Management, Unpredictable Hours
Manque d'appréciation du personnel
Conseillère à la vente (Former Employee) –  Saint-leonard, QC3 December 2018
Coupure de poste rapide et peu de temps pour l'avis
Manque d'heures pour les besoins d'une famille
Manque de considération pour les emplois qui font bcp d'efforts
Pros
Rabais sur les vetements
Cons
Maanque de considération pour le personnel
Good Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 November 2018
The coworkers were great as well as the atmosphere very positive. The only con is the pay which is minimum and the hours can be slim. But if you are looking for good people and a positive environment, there is the place to go.
Decent workplace
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2018
It was a bit unorganized which made it difficult to find things but overall it was a good place to work. My only complaint would be the hours. Anyone who didn't have a minimum amount of hours a week got next to no shifts.
Fun to work when with the right team
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2018
My overall time with Penningtons has been a challenge but for me that's good. Taught me to overcome obstacles the right way and learn different ways to approach different situations. The team is the answer to your happiness, if you don't have the team behind you everyday worked feels like a year...when it doesn't have to!! Growth within the company does not exist! Always hiring outsiders who know nothing of the business instead of promoting within...and they say internal growth is what they focus on...NOT TRUE!!
Pros
50% off employee discount
Cons
as management up to 44 hours goes unpaid due to salary..no overtime
Fun and great opportunity for personal customer experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2018
Loved my boss and my co workers. I learned a lot of how to work with different types of people as I had the hands on experience with every age group. I loved my experience in fashion as well.
Days are Long
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 October 2018
The quotas were pretty unrealistic. the clothes is expensive and if you're too pushy of come off like you're trying to reach your quota with the customers you'll scare them away, which wasn't my thing.
the job itself was fine , tedious most of the time but problems are really within the company and how they run things.
Pros
Discount
Cons
impossible Quotas
environnement agreable
Assistante-Gérante (Former Employee) –  Rimouski, QC23 October 2018
formation en continue par la compagnie, nous avons un pourcentage sur la marchandise lorsque nous travaillons la bas
Pros
contact client
Cons
longue heure debout
customer service
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 October 2018
great place to work a lot of great knowledge learnt get skills that i will care on in my future with being in store management. Great for part time sales.
Gone downhill since management change
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2018
Company used to really enjoyable to work for but since management changes it has gone downhill. The higher ups expect more work to be done with no hours given to get it done. Also the pay is not appropriate for the work asked.
Productive daily tasks
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 October 2018
Very busy atmosphere

Love the customer interaction

Immediate management always there for you

Typical day is to tidy up store from previous day; open, hang or fold and put new stock out and replenish what is needed; restructure areas in store to fit blueprints
Pros
Flexibility and discount
Cons
Long drive!!
fun place great staff
Full Time Sales Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON13 September 2018
customer service. management was good but changed every so often. hardest part was flipping a store in less than 24 hours. working with amazing people was the best part of the job
Pros
great staff
Cons
rude clients
Has gotten better.
Sales Associate - Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2018
The managing staff are kind. Things from the past have changed greatly making it a better place to work. The people are like a team. Everyone is reliable.