PEMBROKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL

PEMBROKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
Good place to work as a college student. Most often, you will have a higher chance at getting hire on there if you complete consolidation within their facility.
I was very disappointed with how my employment was handled. I was expected to know a program that I never used before and made them fully aware of this. I had no desk or place to work from daily (jumped around from desk to desk with people that were away at the time). Had no phone, but yet had to call for quotes, assistance from wherever I was sitting that day. I'm sure this was probably an isolated incident and that different departments would have treated me differently.
A typical day for me involves learning to manage shifts without supervision as well as opening and closing the cafe. I learned the work culture and how to supervise the cafe, serve customers and stock amenities at the same time. I had a great time making friends at the cafe and it was great first job for me.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great place to be able to expand your job opportunities. Team player environment. Managers always willing to work with employees to allow changes with schedule to accommodate any upcoming conflicts. Great pay and pension opportunities.
This hospital was not great when I worked there, the two hospitals were merging at the time so staff in a foul mood. Hopefully work environment is better now.
Poor morale....often hear staff openly complaining about work environment and management. Policies on sick days before or after long weekend were very discouraging especially if attendance was exceptional for remainder of the year.
Cons
Very little room for advancement, tends to hire from outside rather than providing advancement opportunities for current staff
this hospital is very top heavy, they keep hiring managers and directors etc, but forget about the front line staff.

the ER staff are wonderful and deserve huge recognition for what they do
Pros
they are changing VERY slowly
Cons
Overworked
As I have just recently started my student placement at Pembroke Regional Hospital, I do not feel educated enough about their organization. However, what I have experienced so far is easy going staff who are willing to teach and answer questions.
Excellent work place and environment. Very friendly and helpful Staff. Very accommodating with family life with regular wage increases after so many years of service.
I am a student PNS3 and currently on the rehab floor. i am learning new skills to properly keep care of patents. the nurses have been great and show much patience when i am not sure of some things. the hardest part of this placement is watching patients in pain and not being able to take it away. the most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on my patient's face, knowing that i have contributed a little bit to their recovery.
Pros
learning skills to job properly
Cons
not understanding some medical terms as good as i want to yet
Performed Geriatric Patient assessments of physical and cognitive-mental functioning or the frail elderly as they presented to the ED with a medical issue.
Developed a plan of care utilizing available community resources, and referrals for further assessment in order to assist the elderly to remain as functioning as possible in their own homes.

Geriatrics is fascinating and complex, much education is required to understand and intervene for this group of our society

Management is supportive in supplying ongoing education to meet advancing senior's issues
Pros
ongoing learning to assist seniors
Cons
bureaucratic restraints=inadequate supports for seniors
Caring for my patients needs whether it was a bath, meds, dressings, feeding or taking them for tests.
I learned that R.P.N.s did most of the work. Some co-workers spent more time at the desk talking about non job related things. While the good staff answered bells for all the patients even though it was primary nursing.

The hardest part about the job was speaking up for the patient when your voice seemed to fall on deaf ears no matter how hard you tried to advocate for the patient. At times the patients paid the price.

The most enjoyable part was my patient connections.
Pros
working with good staff
Cons
having work that was not yours being downloaded on youwhen you had enough of your own work.
The Penbroke Regional Hospital is a community-centred health care facility.
At this position I performed data entry, file purging and organization of patient records. I learned about using organizational software such as Microsoft Access, and how to organize and purge patient files. My workers were helpful and professional. The hardest part of this job was going through thousands of patient files over the summer. The most enjoyable part of the job was the helpful and professional environment.
As a student nurse, I would go in to work on Thursdays and Fridays. All the nurses there were very willing to take on student nurses and to help us if needed. We would provide all the care for two or three clients for the whole day and have a conference with our teacher at the end of the day to discuss any issues, concerns or celebrations of that day.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at PEMBROKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3