PEEL DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Great people, feel good culture aimed at students at the center
Lead, Vendor and Project Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2019
everything is aimed at increasing student success.
wonderful organizational brand and culture.

lack of turnover leads to lack of fresh thinking in some departments.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
lack of turnover
Productive and Freindly Environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 February 2019
All teachers have the best interest of the students in mind and work together in order to not only offer them excellent educational opportunities, but also a variety of extracurricular activities. They welcomed me and allowed me to learn and advance myself and career
Morale has been sinking fast past 6 years
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2019
Morale in the IT department has been declining since the CIO they hired in 2005. Decisions are not in best interest of staff, and promises made about training and other issues are empty promises. Things had degraded to a point where a union was brought in and things went from bad to worse.

Many contract personel had been hired over the years, and the best and brightest would leave within weeks/months due to the environment.

The executive needs to make changes at all levels of management, from team leaders to senior management in order to improve morale.

Would not recommend employment here.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
management, morale
Very competitive
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON1 January 2019
I worked here for a side job for a couple of years as a on call teaching assitant. The pay is weak with no benefits despite your working all over peel driving to different schools. It's like every day is your first day since it's a different school different students and staff. I then applied for LTO wich is usually what you get put in before getting a full time placement. The interview was extremely intense considering the position was only for a month despite my qualifications and experience and decent interview answers they contacted my references and they gave me a great review then they decided not to fill the month position. Maybe to fill it with on calls to save money? Despite them constantly saying they need consistent approach for students they make small contracts extremely hard to obtain. You also have to watch your hours closely because if they don't get put on by the school secretary each day you won't be getting payed. I've had snow days canceled last minute and shifts canceled last minute that's results In no hours no pay. If your looking to pay your bills have a consistent secure work place this isn't for you
Pros
Good experince
Cons
Competitive
Union environment not always good
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 December 2018
While the union protects you and gives you job security, it also protects bullies and deadwood.

There needs to be better balance or check points for employees that have been there for a long time and are bullies or deadwood.

Management needs to have some recourse AND there needs to be something in place to identify weak management
Pros
Union, job security
Cons
Union, deadwood and bullies have job security
very good to work good people good team good school
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 December 2018
very good to work good people good team good school
I recommend this school to love the principal and other team members all the parents very good and clean school
Pros
everything so good
Cons
no cons
Making a difference
Vice Principal (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 October 2018
Making a positive difference for children and communities. Many different locations across the region of Peel. With a dedicated attitude and work ethic, promotion opportunities are available. Many stakeholders involved while working in schools, which can be a positive and negative.
Pros
Important and Inspiring work
Cons
Work/Life balance difficult to manage
Excellent Place to work!
Student Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 September 2018
I was a student teacher at the PDSB. Although I was not a paid employee, I was welcomed warmly and thanked for my efforts in the classrooms I was placed in.
Good placement expereince
Child and Youth Worker Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 August 2018
I think colleges have to do a better job at placing you with a supervisor who is actually going to be monitoring you while you work in classrooms. I had a grade 5 teacher as my supervisor, but never worked with grade 5's.
Great place to work if you love working with children
Lunch Room supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2018
Build relationships with children.
Assist and encourage them to eat their lunches.
Build positive around classroom and playground rules while keeping them safe.
Resolve conflicts among peers.
Solve questions concerns about assignments, life.
Be a role model.
Find alternative was to encourage good behavior.
Document any major mishaps, accidents, bullying and report to the office.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Excellent employer with opportunities for self growth
Assistant to the Director (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 August 2018
Excellent colleagues and management offer a variety of opportunities for self-improvement and growth.
Always supportive and professional.
Fun loving, professional environment and a diverse workplace. Always dealing with the public.
Pros
lieu time offered
Cons
great experience with all the achool staff
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 August 2018
very nice atmosphere....learned alot from this job...very helping environment there....from this job i learned lots of patience in myself...whole staff is happy with me
Pros
salary is good
Cons
nothing
Working with kids is fun!
Regular Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 August 2018
Helping kindergarten children with lunch, supervise them while they play in the classroom.Monitor the room closely to avoid potential health risks, such as allergic reactions, choking and food spills. Watch the exits to make sure students don’t leave the room without permission. I love to learn new things – working with children was, and still is a HUGE learning experience.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
short hours
Great people to work with very diversified.
Educational Resource Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 July 2018
Peel District School Board is a great place to be employed. They take care of their employees. The office staff and school staff are very professional and caring people.
I worked with a diverse team that was very accommodating. I provided administrative assistance including general office duties such as filing, faxing
Office Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  5650 Hurontario Street, Miss. On L5R 1C617 July 2018
My Experience was very rewarding, inputting info into HRIS and PAM system. Hardest part, was the steps for each process, most enjoyable parr was providing admininistrative assistace to the Department and assisting the team varied demands.
Pros
celebration of monthly birthdays, an award cermony in the department at the end of my co-op programme.
Good management
Lunch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 July 2018
The school management was good. Staff was also good and cooperative. Students were very disciplined and very easily manageable. It was fun doing that job. I enjoyed on field duty compare to class.
worked as Co-Op
IT TA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 June 2018
worked as unpaid TA co-op, great place to work and get experience, staff was great and so was other parts of management, wish they had better funding for some schools i visited
Pros
stable job
Good
Teaching Assistant - Special Needs (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 June 2018
Great place to work ! The people I work with are great at what they do and inspire me every day. I actually look forward to going to work. The best part about my job is working with the children and watching them grow.
Very good company yo work for.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 June 2018
Peel is a good company to work for they provide growth and security. They give you on hands training and upgrading to better yourself in order to do your job. Working as a team you can give input toward your students growth and well being. The support from the staff and adimin is on going. So you as an individual can have pride and caring in what yoi do.
Pros
Unionized, benefits and paided sick days
Cons
Pay needs inprovement
Great place to work if you love kids
Behavioral Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 May 2018
Great place to work if you like kids and like the stability of a 8-4 job. Summers and holidays are vacation period which is great if you get paid, if not learn how to live on E.I salary and never be able to leave the country during these times.
Pros
good hours
Cons
lousy pay