PEEL DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Morale has been sinking fast past 6 years
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2019
Morale in the IT department has been declining since the CIO they hired in 2005. Decisions are not in best interest of staff, and promises made about training and other issues are empty promises. Things had degraded to a point where a union was brought in and things went from bad to worse.

Many contract personel had been hired over the years, and the best and brightest would leave within weeks/months due to the environment.

The executive needs to make changes at all levels of management, from team leaders to senior management in order to improve morale.

Would not recommend employment here.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
management, morale
Very competitive
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON1 January 2019
I worked here for a side job for a couple of years as a on call teaching assitant. The pay is weak with no benefits despite your working all over peel driving to different schools. It's like every day is your first day since it's a different school different students and staff. I then applied for LTO wich is usually what you get put in before getting a full time placement. The interview was extremely intense considering the position was only for a month despite my qualifications and experience and decent interview answers they contacted my references and they gave me a great review then they decided not to fill the month position. Maybe to fill it with on calls to save money? Despite them constantly saying they need consistent approach for students they make small contracts extremely hard to obtain. You also have to watch your hours closely because if they don't get put on by the school secretary each day you won't be getting payed. I've had snow days canceled last minute and shifts canceled last minute that's results In no hours no pay. If your looking to pay your bills have a consistent secure work place this isn't for you
Pros
Good experince
Cons
Competitive
Very good company yo work for.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 June 2018
Peel is a good company to work for they provide growth and security. They give you on hands training and upgrading to better yourself in order to do your job. Working as a team you can give input toward your students growth and well being. The support from the staff and adimin is on going. So you as an individual can have pride and caring in what yoi do.
Pros
Unionized, benefits and paided sick days
Cons
Pay needs inprovement
great experience with all the achool staff
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 August 2018
very nice atmosphere....learned alot from this job...very helping environment there....from this job i learned lots of patience in myself...whole staff is happy with me
Pros
salary is good
Cons
nothing
Making a difference
Vice Principal (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 October 2018
Making a positive difference for children and communities. Many different locations across the region of Peel. With a dedicated attitude and work ethic, promotion opportunities are available. Many stakeholders involved while working in schools, which can be a positive and negative.
Pros
Important and Inspiring work
Cons
Work/Life balance difficult to manage
Great place to work if you love kids
Behavioral Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 May 2018
Great place to work if you like kids and like the stability of a 8-4 job. Summers and holidays are vacation period which is great if you get paid, if not learn how to live on E.I salary and never be able to leave the country during these times.
Pros
good hours
Cons
lousy pay
Peel District School Board is the place to be
Teaching Assistant (Full TIme) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 April 2018
I am very proud to be an employee of Peel District School Board. The staff that I have worked with have been amazing and are truly there for the needs of the students.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
finding coverage for your sick days are hard
Excellent employer with opportunities for self growth
Assistant to the Director (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 August 2018
Excellent colleagues and management offer a variety of opportunities for self-improvement and growth.
Always supportive and professional.
Fun loving, professional environment and a diverse workplace. Always dealing with the public.
Pros
lieu time offered
Cons
Great place to work if you love working with children
Lunch Room supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2018
Build relationships with children.
Assist and encourage them to eat their lunches.
Build positive around classroom and playground rules while keeping them safe.
Resolve conflicts among peers.
Solve questions concerns about assignments, life.
Be a role model.
Find alternative was to encourage good behavior.
Document any major mishaps, accidents, bullying and report to the office.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Peel is an equal opportunity workplace.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Royal Orchard Middle School26 October 2017
Peel Board is a good place to work from Primary school, through to Middle schools and on to High Schools. The salary and benefits are very good for established teachers. There are many opportunities to move laterally within the board as well as opportunities to move into Administration.
Pros
Good working hours and holidays
Cons
There is no day that is ever the same, the job requires a constant juggle of things to keep moving towards success.
Being a summer camp Counselor
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 March 2018
Working with little kids teaches you a lot about how they view life and brings you a sense of joy working with them. They bring out your inner child in you, thus needless to say they have a lot of energy and sometimes it is hard to keep up with them as they are so active and just want to go and play. The love that they have for wanting to go outside and play together as a team as one is very encouraging as we have so much hate in our world, seeing our young ones playing with each other not letting the skin colour or different race they all have, stop each and every one of them to have fun and play with each other. Seeing inclusivity at the summer camp is what brings me joy every single day working with the next generation.
Pros
two snack breaks and a lunch
very good to work good people good team good school
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 December 2018
very good to work good people good team good school
I recommend this school to love the principal and other team members all the parents very good and clean school
Pros
everything so good
Cons
no cons
I worked with a diverse team that was very accommodating. I provided administrative assistance including general office duties such as filing, faxing
Office Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  5650 Hurontario Street, Miss. On L5R 1C617 July 2018
My Experience was very rewarding, inputting info into HRIS and PAM system. Hardest part, was the steps for each process, most enjoyable parr was providing admininistrative assistace to the Department and assisting the team varied demands.
Pros
celebration of monthly birthdays, an award cermony in the department at the end of my co-op programme.
Working with kids is fun!
Regular Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 August 2018
Helping kindergarten children with lunch, supervise them while they play in the classroom.Monitor the room closely to avoid potential health risks, such as allergic reactions, choking and food spills. Watch the exits to make sure students don’t leave the room without permission. I love to learn new things – working with children was, and still is a HUGE learning experience.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
short hours
Good placement expereince
Child and Youth Worker Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 August 2018
I think colleges have to do a better job at placing you with a supervisor who is actually going to be monitoring you while you work in classrooms. I had a grade 5 teacher as my supervisor, but never worked with grade 5's.
Excellent Place to work!
Student Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 September 2018
I was a student teacher at the PDSB. Although I was not a paid employee, I was welcomed warmly and thanked for my efforts in the classrooms I was placed in.
Good management
Lunch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 July 2018
The school management was good. Staff was also good and cooperative. Students were very disciplined and very easily manageable. It was fun doing that job. I enjoyed on field duty compare to class.
worked as Co-Op
IT TA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 June 2018
worked as unpaid TA co-op, great place to work and get experience, staff was great and so was other parts of management, wish they had better funding for some schools i visited
Pros
stable job
Enlightening Experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2018
I really do enjoy working with children and by being an assistant really shows me how my passion for teaching is growing enormously each and every day. I feel like the kids I work with are just like my own children (even though I don't have children). I would surely love to teach/tutor online so that your future can be filled with intelligent children that can change the world.
Pros
Seeing the student happy every time they're learning
Cons
Stressful days
Overall good
Educational Resource Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2017
It has its benefits and its problems. It nice to see results when working with students with special needs. When you have a good teacher it makes the year run smoothly.