Pedalheads

• Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

No Hours and Bad Location

Location was not adequate for the activities we were asked to do with the kids and their bikes Did not fulfill their 40hrs/week as promised and no one was working by mid-summer

Poor organisation and management

The schedules are often messy and only the same people get hours while others are left aside for most of the summer. 40 hour weeks were only guaranteed to the same people every time, and the rest often got low hours. Did not give the promised COVID bonus, no referral bonus, got paid minimum wage, which is around 1$ lower than advertised, none of the promised benefits were given. Working with kids is fun but also extremely exhausting mentally and physically, so getting paid minimum wage for it is very disappointing. I do no recommend working here for anyone that's expecting a consistent hours and pay.

Pros

Older kids are fun to work with

Cons

Unfair hours, poor scheduling

Fun but demanding and difficult, limited hours and support, inadequate pay for job

It's somewhat like a summer camp, though definitely my most intense job with kids. Ultimately, you have a lot of responsibility handling a group of 2-6 kids and teaching them bike skills in crowded parking lots. It can be frustrating since it is an ambitious camp - to teach bike skills, from getting off training wheels (roughly half of registration) to hand signals and road riding. It is priced accordingly (close to 500 for all-day weeks) and yet you're paid minimum wage. Beyond that, hours aren't guaranteed, meaning you have a very real chance of spending several weeks at home come August. Other staff have usually been great, and my coworkers have gotten stronger and stronger each year. Bosses have mostly been great. Unfortunately, the rules often feel set up in a way that are hard on instructors. It is disorganized, and I know several returning instructors who were recommended for supervisor/site manager and forgotten about due to the company's disorganized nature. It's a very fun job, but it just feels really demanding and like your hard work is lining someone else's pockets.

lots of work, little reward

corporate is a disorganized mess with very poor scheduling and communication processes. I received multiple training dates from my manager and the office which left me confused. Training itself does not even begin to prepare you for the reality of the job. Parents have high expectations and you are basically left to fend for yourself.

Pros

kids, coworkers

Cons

unpredictable schedules, long hours in the sun, intense pressure

Fun work environment with others

Each day consists of gathering your attendance sheet for the class you will be teaching. Preparation for each day is extremely crucial as you are teaching them a skill. The culture is all in all fantastic because you really bond with the people you work with and work around. The hardest part is most likely teaching a life skill but it is definitely rewarding seeing the kids ride a bike on their own.

Fun and relaxed work environment

Working at Pedal heads was a great working experience, I never felt that I 'had' to go into work. It was always very stress free and often found myself having a good time.

Fun Place to work!

The role of a bike instructor is to teach kids from ages 4-10 years old how to ride a bike. Also, we encourage kids and teach them how to properly bike on the road and road safety. The coworkers are amazing and the management team also ensures that you are benefited and also safe within the location of the camp.

Fun Summer Job Working Outside

Great co-workers and management but some long days. Great job if you're looking for something casual but I wouldn't recommend if you're looking for a serious salary.

Fun work place

Fun to work with friends in an environment that was relaxed. Working with the kids was very rewarding and working outside was a nice change from what I am used to.

It was fun to work there and interact with interesting individuals.

I would answer emails about camp schedules and occasionally answer phone calls. If I was ever stuck or needed assistance, the management would help right away and teach us. Great learning experience.

Fun but disorganized

Decent place to work; all employees are young and get along well but that also means the on-site supervision may be inexperienced. Skill placements were not always accurate and as a new instructor, it could be difficult to create a lesson plan for a group that had a vast spectrum of skill levels.

Good job for starters

The job was hard. You have to push kids of all sizes on their bikes until they learn how to ride. I only worked here for one summer and they still send me emails to come back. The pay is not enough for the work that you do. The days are long. It sucked having to work in the rain. I had one group of boys (5 in total) that were a pain in the butt to work with. They were spitting on each other and constantly fighting. I remember coming home and crying from how bad it was. It made me change my mind of becoming an Elementary School Teacher. This is a good job if you need experience with children to get a better job in the future but I don’t think any employee comes back to work a second summer. The pay is not enough even as a camp supervisor.

Pros

Good workout

Cons

Terrible children, low pay, rain or shine camp (working in the rain)

Terrible Hours

I would ask to get better hours and my manager would say there are not any available time slots for it and then gives it to someone else. She was super unorganized too

Fun and enjoyable!

I have heard mixed reviews about Pedalheads and I believe it really varies from site to site. I was thrown into it with little direction and had to come up with ideas on my own and learn from other instructors who had been there years before. Once you get a hang of things, this job is a blast!

Nice place to work in the summer

Great place to work to gain experience and get a fair amount of money for working at a camp. The workplace culture was fun and there were lots of socials to be able to meet coworkers.

Pros

Pay

Cons

work can sometimes be hard with younger kids

Low pay for the effort you put in

Pedalheads was a mixed experience. I loved working with the kids and working outside in the summer but the pay is $12.95 an hour which is significantly under a fair salary for employees. Hours drop in August and positions to get the hours are competitive so it can feel stressful.

Pros

Working with kids, working outside, fun co-workers

Cons

pay, back-breaking if you aren't careful.

Really fun atmosphere to learn how to work with kids!

I really enjoyed it. The mornings were often the best because when afternoon rolled around, it was really hot in the summer. Hardest part of the job was bending over for hours trying to teach kids how to balance.

Really fun coworkers

The schedule was really iffy, usually you found out from week to week with sometimes no work for the week, or sometimes full days. The management was always stressed and passed it onto the coworkers, but the best part was the coworkers. They rocked and helped us get through the day. Go for the coworkers and the kids.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Managers

Job was an excellent environment to apply myself and advance my skills

At pedal heads bike camp i was constantly placed in a position which required the application of critical thinking and problem solving skills.

Pros

Day time work

Cons

Working in the sun, rain or shine

Very fun environment helping children, rain or shine teaching so it does get hot but it's fun nonetheless

The people, CEO (which I met), program and organization is phenomenal. Though it starts at 11/hr, if you were to get your Coach's license and do it a few summers in a row, they pay gets much better. Though it gets very hot, there is always somewhere to fill your water bottle, classrooms at the sites to teach the kids other important safety tips, understanding management. I highly recommend for a stable,summer job.

Pros

Amazing environment, great for a resume, amazing people

Cons

Wage

Great way to spend the summer

Fantastic co-workers and environment. Great for people who love children!

Pros

days under the sun

Cons

days under the rain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pedalheads. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement