Pedalheads

Working at Pedalheads: Employee Reviews

Requires high energy, fun outdoor job

Be prepared to create lesson plans each week. You are given game ideas but it’s ultimately up to each instructor how you want to conduct your lessons. It can be a really fun job and you’ll become close with coworkers. You’ll be tired at the end of each day but if you love kids and want to be in the sun it’s a good job.

Stressful environment

Company hires inexperienced teenagers and gives them minimal training. Spring break camps are awful, spending hours in downpour with only a lunch break. Felt anxious and unprepared for my job and the days were much too long.

Insights into Pedalheads

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

Fun job but Bad management.

They hire a bunch of inexperienced teenagers and then don't train them. Management was not useful. They complain but don't offer help. The job itself was okay. If you like your co-workers, it can be okay.

Pros

something to do in the summer

Cons

long hours, no materials, low pay

Good as a first-job experience

You gain experience, it's pretty fun, pay is low and only increases by 0.5$ with year so I'd say it's best as a first-job experience

Pros

collaboration, fun, coworkers

Cons

pay, accommodation

Fun workplace for kids

The friends I've made that have turned into family, the kids I have been able to watch grow up from kids, to teenagers and even high school graduates. The beautiful landscape we are blessed to be able to work on, no other day camp in Houston like ours. the fieldtrips we would take with our age groups that allowed us to bond and grow even closer with our campers.

Fun working with kids

Good summer job if you enjoy working with kids. The people you get to work with are amazing. Being out in the sun all day on very hot days with minimal shade is the only thing I didn’t like.

Pros

Working with kids, people

Cons

Outside in the hot sun all day

Fun Summer Job

I worked for Pedalheads for two summers. The job is fun and reward. The kids are happy to be there to learn how to ride their bike. The parents and excited to see their kid ride their bike independently. It is a great place to be.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

It can get hot or rainy when working outside

Not a bad summer job for students

I think your overall experience depends on the location and management, I was really lucky having a such an amazing team and manager. The downside of this job is that you’ll literally be working rain or shine( they basically never cancel camp and you’re expected to continue biking rain or shine), it was awful working outside in the rain or when there was an extreme heat warning( I even developed heat stroke one week). It was also slightly annoying that they provide you with 100% cotton shirts that you are required to wear everyday which are super unbreathable especially in extreme heat. It can also be challenging dealing with children as sometimes you would get children with extreme behavioural issues (which can be mentally and physically exhausting). Also be aware this is a super physically demanding job, as you will be expected to teach children biking skills and even at times depending on what skill level you have be expected to hold children while they learn to ride without training wheels which can be back breaking. Hours were also 100% dependant on the manager and it seemed like the same few people would get full time hours every week. As the summer goes on and there are less registrations be prepared to work as little as 3 hours a day or none at all.

Pros

Being outside, fun team, active camp, rewarding job

Cons

Long hours in the sun, little hours(variable), low pay, uncomfortable shirts, difficult children

Pretty good for a first job.

Long hours working in the heat. The best part was working with the kids however the management was not very good. Would recommend it for a high school job.

Pros

All the kids! Staff.

Cons

Bad management.

Job enjoyment is based heavily on the campers and staff you work with

I worked at Pedalheads for 3 years and overall it is a good job if you’re the outgoing type and enjoy working with kids. In my experience, the company offers a ton of resources and support during your employment. All the staff I've encountered are super friendly and there is a bunch of opportunities during/outside of work to get close with your team. In years with a great team, I loved coming to work and found it very fun. The hours are usually really great but are given out based on your performance and staff availability (the better your performance, the more likely you are to get your preferred hours)The job is quite demanding and will require you to be energetic, patient and active all day. This is especially applicable if you work with the young campers who come in to learn how to ride without training wheels. There are a lot of expectations to fulfil. One thing I'd have to say is to be prepared to deal with difficult campers and parents, as well as work outside on your feet all day.

Pros

Good hours, friendly staff, fun and engaging job

Cons

Difficult campers and parents, working on your feet outside all day

Productive and fun workplace

As the site manager I found myself in logistics and overall program management. The best part about working with Pedalheads is the kids, they make it worthwhile. The smiles we put on their faces while they accomplish a big feet of riding on their own for the first time or even enhancing their amazing skills is just an awesome opportunity. Though far at times, management is always a phone call away and will do what they can to help. This is a company that wants you to grow.

Good

Good summer job for youth with lots of energy. Good opportunities for advancement. Not good if you are not physically fit, would end up very tired at the end of each day.

If you love kids, you will love this job

I personally love this job and I have returned for three consecutive years. The people are always great and this job is fun and challenging at the same time. Some weeks will be more tough than others, as your kids change every week as well as the level sometimes, so there is always something to learn.

Pros

Supportive environment

Cons

Lower pay

Fun workplace and with lots to do

Overall my experience working here was very positive. With friendly coworkers and management that cared about my wellbeing, Pedalheads was great.As someone who enjoys teaching and biking this job was perfect for me. The only down side was weather conditions. Sometimes it got up to 100 degrees outside, but luckily you are able to take frequent water breaks and inside time with your group.

Pros

long breaks, fun workplace, good pay, flexible hours, good management

Cons

weather conditions

it was ok

pros: coworkers were around the same age as me making it more fun to bond over misery. some kids are really funny and it was an okay way to stay active instead of staying home during the summer.cons: training does not prepare you for the reality of the job at all. the funny thing is, at training they teach you everything BUT how to teach the kids. i was a last minute hire so i was only shadow trained. the first day is going to be very stressful and you might even cry if you get really bad kids. if you teach anything over level 2 it’s not that bad, but you’re left with the pressure of teaching kids how to bike by the end of the week. parents will expect a lot from u considering they pay about $500 a week for the camp, yet instructors are getting paid minimum wage (which i believe is absolutely cheap and capitalist of them considering the amount of work we do) kids are annoying so expect to be mentally and physically drained the the end of the week (especially your back)hours are not guaranteed at all. the same people were getting 40/weekmanagement to very last minute and disorganized, sent out schedules at like 10pm on a sunday. this year there was a heat wave but i was constantly pushed by my manager to get the kids on their bikes instead of taking a break. honestly i could go on about the cons, believe all the negative reviews you see. would only come back as a manager or supervisor.

Pros

coworkers made it fun SOMETIMES

Cons

physically and mentally draining. wanted to kms on the job

Great job

I loved working here as a site manager you can really tell the Regional managers care about you and want you to succeed! I would recommend this job to anyone who loves working with kids and is a quick thinker !

Pros

Fun, rewarding and simple job but can be a bit tiring!

This company pays really well for being a summer camp and even better if you have a leadership position! I have been a site manager for 3 years and I look forward to it every summer. As a site manager you are responsible for running your site which means that there is nobody watching you 24/7 which is nice! It’s a fun job working with kids outside in the summer, but this is also what makes it a little tiring at time.The company is awesome, very supportive, responsive and caring! I’ve loved my time at pedalheads!

Pros

Pay, fun, relaxed work environment

Cons

Working outside can get tiring, working with challenging kids sometimes

Pretty fun, pay could be better

I was working 9+ hours most days here and felt like i definitely deserved higher pay. especially because those above me spent a lot of time sitting around doing nothing and got paid $2-4 more an hour. otherwise the people are great and kids are fun

Summer Camps For Experience

The bike camps are fun and you usually have good co-workers. Theme days are fun. However you are excepted to do a lot (teach, watch kids, make lesson plans, before/ after care, set up games, report cards, DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM CHILD, etc.) And you only get paid minimum wage. Don't work here If your looking to make money. You'll be losing money, as you have to pay for: first aid, a bike, bike gear & a background check + (gas if you drive). If your looking for a summer job for experience in managing kids or seeing if you want to teach, this is good experience. Also if you're older than 20 you'll feel really awkward, as all the 16 to 18 year old's ask why you're there and call you old .

Pros

theme day, experience, treat days, good kids

Cons

the hard kids, lots of work, low pay, losing money, old age embarrassment

Fun environment, but exhausting

I worked at Pedalheads as a site manager. It's not too difficult of a job and the pay is pretty good. However, be prepared to be outside all day long with barely any breaks to go inside. You get exhausted simply from being outside 8 hours a day, 5 days a week on burning pavement. The kids get exhausted too and by the end of the week you don't want to do much of anything. It's a good job to work with fun coworkers, but be warned, it's no office job and you'll find yourself wishing it was.

Pros

Decent pay, normal 8-4 hours

Cons

exhausting, lots of work at home planning sometimes, hot, boring

Awesome workplace for students— the ideal summer job!

I absolutely love working here, it’s a fun and supportive environment and the supervisors are great. You definitely have to enjoy working with kids though! A great way to get outdoors and gain money and experience as a student.

Pros

Outside, great staff, good hours, fun activities, theme days

Cons

Often very hard!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pedalheads. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement