Pedalheads

Working at Pedalheads: Employee Reviews

Canada56 reviews

Requires high energy, fun outdoor job

Be prepared to create lesson plans each week. You are given game ideas but it’s ultimately up to each instructor how you want to conduct your lessons. It can be a really fun job and you’ll become close with coworkers. You’ll be tired at the end of each day but if you love kids and want to be in the sun it’s a good job.

Stressful environment

Company hires inexperienced teenagers and gives them minimal training. Spring break camps are awful, spending hours in downpour with only a lunch break. Felt anxious and unprepared for my job and the days were much too long.

Insights into Pedalheads

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

Fun job but Bad management.

They hire a bunch of inexperienced teenagers and then don't train them. Management was not useful. They complain but don't offer help. The job itself was okay. If you like your co-workers, it can be okay.

Pros

something to do in the summer

Cons

long hours, no materials, low pay

Good as a first-job experience

You gain experience, it's pretty fun, pay is low and only increases by 0.5$ with year so I'd say it's best as a first-job experience

Pros

collaboration, fun, coworkers

Cons

pay, accommodation

Fun workplace for kids

The friends I've made that have turned into family, the kids I have been able to watch grow up from kids, to teenagers and even high school graduates. The beautiful landscape we are blessed to be able to work on, no other day camp in Houston like ours. the fieldtrips we would take with our age groups that allowed us to bond and grow even closer with our campers.

Fun working with kids

Good summer job if you enjoy working with kids. The people you get to work with are amazing. Being out in the sun all day on very hot days with minimal shade is the only thing I didn’t like.

Pros

Working with kids, people

Cons

Outside in the hot sun all day

Not a bad summer job for students

I think your overall experience depends on the location and management, I was really lucky having a such an amazing team and manager. The downside of this job is that you’ll literally be working rain or shine( they basically never cancel camp and you’re expected to continue biking rain or shine), it was awful working outside in the rain or when there was an extreme heat warning( I even developed heat stroke one week). It was also slightly annoying that they provide you with 100% cotton shirts that you are required to wear everyday which are super unbreathable especially in extreme heat. It can also be challenging dealing with children as sometimes you would get children with extreme behavioural issues (which can be mentally and physically exhausting). Also be aware this is a super physically demanding job, as you will be expected to teach children biking skills and even at times depending on what skill level you have be expected to hold children while they learn to ride without training wheels which can be back breaking. Hours were also 100% dependant on the manager and it seemed like the same few people would get full time hours every week. As the summer goes on and there are less registrations be prepared to work as little as 3 hours a day or none at all.

Pros

Being outside, fun team, active camp, rewarding job

Cons

Long hours in the sun, little hours(variable), low pay, uncomfortable shirts, difficult children

Pretty good for a first job.

Long hours working in the heat. The best part was working with the kids however the management was not very good. Would recommend it for a high school job.

Pros

All the kids! Staff.

Cons

Bad management.

Job enjoyment is based heavily on the campers and staff you work with

I worked at Pedalheads for 3 years and overall it is a good job if you’re the outgoing type and enjoy working with kids. In my experience, the company offers a ton of resources and support during your employment. All the staff I've encountered are super friendly and there is a bunch of opportunities during/outside of work to get close with your team. In years with a great team, I loved coming to work and found it very fun. The hours are usually really great but are given out based on your performance and staff availability (the better your performance, the more likely you are to get your preferred hours)The job is quite demanding and will require you to be energetic, patient and active all day. This is especially applicable if you work with the young campers who come in to learn how to ride without training wheels. There are a lot of expectations to fulfil. One thing I'd have to say is to be prepared to deal with difficult campers and parents, as well as work outside on your feet all day.

Pros

Good hours, friendly staff, fun and engaging job

Cons

Difficult campers and parents, working on your feet outside all day

If you love kids, you will love this job

I personally love this job and I have returned for three consecutive years. The people are always great and this job is fun and challenging at the same time. Some weeks will be more tough than others, as your kids change every week as well as the level sometimes, so there is always something to learn.

Pros

Supportive environment

Cons

Lower pay

it was ok

pros: coworkers were around the same age as me making it more fun to bond over misery. some kids are really funny and it was an okay way to stay active instead of staying home during the summer.cons: training does not prepare you for the reality of the job at all. the funny thing is, at training they teach you everything BUT how to teach the kids. i was a last minute hire so i was only shadow trained. the first day is going to be very stressful and you might even cry if you get really bad kids. if you teach anything over level 2 it’s not that bad, but you’re left with the pressure of teaching kids how to bike by the end of the week. parents will expect a lot from u considering they pay about $500 a week for the camp, yet instructors are getting paid minimum wage (which i believe is absolutely cheap and capitalist of them considering the amount of work we do) kids are annoying so expect to be mentally and physically drained the the end of the week (especially your back)hours are not guaranteed at all. the same people were getting 40/weekmanagement to very last minute and disorganized, sent out schedules at like 10pm on a sunday. this year there was a heat wave but i was constantly pushed by my manager to get the kids on their bikes instead of taking a break. honestly i could go on about the cons, believe all the negative reviews you see. would only come back as a manager or supervisor.

Pros

coworkers made it fun SOMETIMES

Cons

physically and mentally draining. wanted to kms on the job

Summer Camps For Experience

The bike camps are fun and you usually have good co-workers. Theme days are fun. However you are excepted to do a lot (teach, watch kids, make lesson plans, before/ after care, set up games, report cards, DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM CHILD, etc.) And you only get paid minimum wage. Don't work here If your looking to make money. You'll be losing money, as you have to pay for: first aid, a bike, bike gear & a background check + (gas if you drive). If your looking for a summer job for experience in managing kids or seeing if you want to teach, this is good experience. Also if you're older than 20 you'll feel really awkward, as all the 16 to 18 year old's ask why you're there and call you old .

Pros

theme day, experience, treat days, good kids

Cons

the hard kids, lots of work, low pay, losing money, old age embarrassment

Awesome workplace for students— the ideal summer job!

I absolutely love working here, it’s a fun and supportive environment and the supervisors are great. You definitely have to enjoy working with kids though! A great way to get outdoors and gain money and experience as a student.

Pros

Outside, great staff, good hours, fun activities, theme days

Cons

Often very hard!

Poor organisation and management

The schedules are often messy and only the same people get hours while others are left aside for most of the summer. 40 hour weeks were only guaranteed to the same people every time, and the rest often got low hours. Did not give the promised COVID bonus, no referral bonus, got paid minimum wage, which is around 1$ lower than advertised, none of the promised benefits were given. Working with kids is fun but also extremely exhausting mentally and physically, so getting paid minimum wage for it is very disappointing. I do no recommend working here for anyone that's expecting a consistent hours and pay.

Pros

Older kids are fun to work with

Cons

Unfair hours, poor scheduling

Fun but demanding and difficult, limited hours and support, inadequate pay for job

It's somewhat like a summer camp, though definitely my most intense job with kids. Ultimately, you have a lot of responsibility handling a group of 2-6 kids and teaching them bike skills in crowded parking lots. It can be frustrating since it is an ambitious camp - to teach bike skills, from getting off training wheels (roughly half of registration) to hand signals and road riding. It is priced accordingly (close to 500 for all-day weeks) and yet you're paid minimum wage. Beyond that, hours aren't guaranteed, meaning you have a very real chance of spending several weeks at home come August. Other staff have usually been great, and my coworkers have gotten stronger and stronger each year. Bosses have mostly been great. Unfortunately, the rules often feel set up in a way that are hard on instructors. It is disorganized, and I know several returning instructors who were recommended for supervisor/site manager and forgotten about due to the company's disorganized nature. It's a very fun job, but it just feels really demanding and like your hard work is lining someone else's pockets.

lots of work, little reward

corporate is a disorganized mess with very poor scheduling and communication processes. I received multiple training dates from my manager and the office which left me confused. Training itself does not even begin to prepare you for the reality of the job. Parents have high expectations and you are basically left to fend for yourself.

Pros

kids, coworkers

Cons

unpredictable schedules, long hours in the sun, intense pressure

Fun place to volunteer.

It was a great experience for me. I feel like I gained valuable skills like leadership and teamwork that I will be able to use in my future place of work.

Best starter job

For a person just starting off their job experiences, Pedalheads offers an inviting culture of people with a fun and engaging attitude to have fun and enjoy their experience at a job.

Great summer job

This was my first job and it was an awesome experience. The staff was so friendly, we had fun the entire summer. The kids are mostly driven and ready to bike (or learn to).

Pros

Learn how to teach kids

Cons

It was outdoor during the summer and was very hot.

No Hours and Bad Location

Location was not adequate for the activities we were asked to do with the kids and their bikes Did not fulfill their 40hrs/week as promised and no one was working by mid-summer

Fun place to work (if you like a fast pace and working with children)

If you can handle the demands of children and the stress that may or may not come along with it (changes day by day) then this job would be a great job for you and would leave you feeling fulfilled.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pedalheads. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement