Pearle Hospitality

Pearle Hospitality Employee Reviews

Canada145 reviews

mealchefserverweddingeventshiftkitchenlong

Big changes needed

Overall, Pearle has a reputation for not being a great place to work among servers and bartenders in the area. There is a constant revolving door of staff - when they do open interviews, everyone who shows up gets hired because they are desperate. There have been issues with pay in the past as well. Some managers also hold it against servers or bartenders when we make tips, as if the $18 hourly wage is supposed to compensate for that. No server or bartender would settle for that much an hour when they aren't making tips. They also put so much focus on building this HR-heavy brand and encourage you to reach out with any concerns and to participate in staff days. My advice to the company would be to forget all of that, and instead focus on keeping your staff, paying them well and letting them collect tips without any hassle.

Pros

They put out good food

Cons

Treat servers and bartenders better, they are the face of your company, Stop trying to make a hospitality business into a corporate business

12 January 2023
Thank you for your feedback. If available, we would love to hear your feedback directly so we can find ways to improve. To speak with an HR person directly please reach out to HR@pearlehospitality.ca - we'd love to have a chat!

Would avoid

Had a negative experience working under current management. Not very professional and poor work culture. As far as restaurants go, there are more which allow you to advance and respect your hard work.

Pros

Cons

Almost all

Insights into Pearle Hospitality

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Good place to start in server industry

If you want to be an industry respected server in the GTAH area, this is a good place to start. A lot of experienced hosts and server staff. Great front of house manager (when I worked there). And I was going to school full-time but my shift schedule was good for me. The shift manager was great with communicating. And I even got a slight raise before training to become a server. It worked out for me.

It's a great place to work. Manager and your supervisor are very supportive and helpful. Friendly coworkers. Good opportunity for growth. Lots of benefits.

Unnecessarily stressful

Hosts are expected to do everyone’s job for them. Servers hide in the kitchen on their phones. They never offer to clean their tables which is fine if they’re busy however, that is not the case because they manage to find time to complain to the host they have dirty tables. The pay is bad for the amount of work expected of you. They also over book like nobody’s business so it becomes your fault when a table who only has a hour to eat isn’t gone by the time the next reso is there. It is also not a friendly environment between servers. They constantly go to the iPad and steal tables from on-another, talk behind each others back, and don’t help each other out. It is very competitive for no reason.The worst of it all is the managers. They’re unapproachable and hide in their offices. Nothing was more annoying then having a phone call or a person at the door that needed to speak with them and the manager making me feel like garbage for going to get them. Like that’s kinda your job. The scheduling is also awful. All summer I was given maybe two three hour shifts a week. summers for students are prime working time and they just took that as an opportunity to over staff. Whole place is a joke

12 January 2023
We value your feedback - if you are available, we'd love to speak with you directly to learn more about your experience and ways we can improve. To speak with an HR representative please reach out to us at HR@pearlehospitality.ca

Amazing place to work at!

In my view pearle hospitality is one of the best companies to work for. They care for you and staff are treated so well here. You get various benefits and they treat you as a Vip when you come visit them as a guest.

Inclusive and supportive workplace!!

Friendly, warm environment with breathtaking views and feels. It's definitely an experience even if you are not an employee. Wonderful and supportive management and helpful, eager colleagues! I love working at the Mill.

Toxic work environment

I worked at bread bar Locke in Hamilton. It was a truly awful point in my life. The stress from that place is like no other resturant I have ever been in. The pace is fine. Management sucks. You don't get breaks and you loose 30 mins from your pay each day. Discount also sucks.

Pays not great

Wage just doesn't match the level of work, Training is on the fly so you either learn fast or sink. Management is very outwardly friendly, I’ve heard otherwise but haven't experienced any discrimination personally.

Pros

-Fun group -Good food

Cons

-Long hours -No breaks

very crazy long working hours and no guarantee hours for full time

I work in a full-time position here but they even gave me less than 25 hours a week. And been told they could never guarantee hours because the working terms are various. And each shift could last 13 hours, I didn't even have enough break time and no chance to have some food. They would not pay you for your break time and automatically deduct it from your total working hours per shift. No matter whether you have one. Which is unfair. And for sure there was no tip share in this position.

Inclusive and Welcoming Elora Mill Events Team

Working alongside my many amazing team members has been an absolutely enjoyable experience! The friendly, supportive, and collaborative atmosphere has made for a great workplace. The Elora Mill Events Management Team offers their employees opportunities to further your career if you are interested. If you are looking to join or stay in the hospitality industry, I would highly recommend applying to be part of the Elora Mill Events Team!

Fun workplace

I wanted to work here before getting hired and was really excited to get the job. I like the job but sometimes it's hard to get enough hours, I would still recommend it though.

Great place and great people to work with

I work at the Cambridge Mill in the events department, and working any type of events is not easy but there's a great team of people in the department making people's dreams come true. There really is a sense of family dynamic and everyone on the team is looking out for one another, that's helpful when it's been a long and stressful day. Management is also very helpful when difficult situations occur and they help guide you through them.

Great place

This is a great place to work. Good people, good work, great place. I would recommend if you can handle stress. And if you are passionate about the industry and a hard worker.

It’s Alright

Can be stressful working multiple events in one night - especially for new staff. Most of the managers are pleasant to work with and are accommodating.

Elora Mill Events - An exceptional team driven environment!

The Elora Mill events team is an exceptional place to grow in the hospitality industry and develop versatile skills certain to enhance the guest experience in any hospitality role. The professionalism, compassion, and genuine attitude of all events staff shines through in every event executed at the mill. Guests are amazed by the hospitality learned and presented by the events staff! The events department is certainly a friendly team that works together for the success of each event and their staff in the role. The environment is truly unmatched. This is an excellent role for someone able to accept the challenge of working in a dynamic environment, be attentive to fine details, and ensure the genuine satisfaction of all guests on their special day. Watching each event unfold successfully with the efforts of all staff members and the special touches of each event make working on the events team a very rewarding experience that I would not hesitate to return to.

Winderful

Over all I've has a wonderful experience here and have no complaints ... the people are amazing management is very kind and thoughtful and they do fun things with us off site...

Best management I've ever worked with

Management was by far the best managers I've ever worked with. Communication between everyone was great. The staff worked together very well. The hours were very long, but that's what working in events is. I worked here over covid so things were constantly changing but management always made sure to help with the constant transitions.

Pros

Positive Managment, and great coworkers

Cons

Good luck getting paid on time

Staff is incredible- management is absolutely f*cked. If you start here make sure you ask to be paid by cheque because otherwise you’ll be working for free

21 July 2022
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We would like the opportunity to hear more about your experience working with Pearle Hospitality.Should you be interested in sharing more about your working experience reach out to the HR department at any time. hr@pearlehospitality.ca

This is where the heart of hospitality lives...

I have worked in hospitality most of my career and Pearle Hospitality is one of the few organizations that I can say is as committed to their employees as they are with their guests. It is refreshing to come to work and know that you are going to work alongside people who are as excited and passionate for the industry as you are. The opportunity for career growth is often available as the company grows at such a fast pace. I truly believe Pearle Hospitality is going to make a significant impact to the hospitality industry as we know it!

Disgusting

I can’t even explain or describe how horrible and disgusting I was treated while working there. And not even to my face, all behind my back or through emails/texts. I was hired as part time due to school but said until school starts I can work full time and help where ever. First week I was only given a good 30 hours due to training (which no one actually trained me….). Only showed me basic things and I had to figure out the rest. Every night was different in the sense of how late I would stay, what had to be done, and how the set up of the room needed to be set up like. Tips? Nope not a thing. Breaks? Nope didn’t get those either. There was one night, we all sat down 1 hour before we had to leave after working 10 hours straight, to eat the staff meal. I was told that this was the first time in months this has happened. You are pushed around like you are below everyone who isn’t a manager or a managers favourite. But that’s not even the bad part. ITS ALL THE MANAGEMENT THAT IS DISGUSTING. After the first week of working a lot of hours, the following 2 weeks I got 1 shift per week…. That’s it. I was told in person that they were short staff and needed people. Because people kept quitting, well I know why now. I didn’t get all my paper work to get paid right away so it took about 3 weeks AFTER I quit to get my paycheck. The manager wanted my sin and other personal information through text. I booked off a few days to go home (had plans before getting the job). Then got texted twice to come in, when they were the ones who approved me to have those days off. I also called in one -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pearle Hospitality. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement