PCL Construction

PCL Construction Pay & benefits reviews

Canada282 reviews
I found it very competitive to maintain your position or advance, with others even given credit for your ideas, proposed changes and your efforts, and were awarded for your contributions.
Pros
Respectable salary and benefits
Cons
Not the family type company they claim to be!
29 June 2020
Thanks for your feedback. PCL strives to foster a team environment, and we are disappointed to hear that you did not experience this during your time here. If you'd like to share additional details of your experience with us, please contact us at indeed@pcl.com so we can look into this further.
No one to show you how things operate what other positions are responsible for
Thrown into the fire with unclear expectations

Good wage, benifits
You are just a number in such a large company
No organization poor communications
Pros
Wage
Cons
Expectations
5 August 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Effective training and communication is really important to us so we are disappointed that you did not experience this during your time with us. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve, please feel free to send them to indeed@pcl.com.
PCL is plagued with nepotism and the “old boys club” mentality. Therefore advancement is only possible if you have a family member on the board or in a senior position.
The work is horribly mundane and will not develop new graduates unless you like shuffling paper.

The shares are not as great as they are initially pitched.
Benefits
Cons
Managers, Boy’s Club, Culture
21 July 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. PCL strives to reward and develop its employees for their hard work and efforts and, as such, we are disappointed that you did not experience this during your time here. If you are open to sharing more details with us, we invite you to reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com so we can look into this further.
I loved the variety of my work. The people were always fun to work with and the work was challenging usually. The admin. team worked at helping each other with work loads and keeping up a good atmosphere to work in. The hardest part was when it got crazy busy and deadlines or given two jobs when someone was away for a long period of time.
Pros
PCL Shares and bonuses and benefits all great
Cons
When a not so great manager transferred into district.
8 July 2020
Thanks for your feedback! We're so glad you feel supported by your team. We encourage you to share your feedback about your manager with your district HRPD team - they would be happy to help.
In a corporate manner PCL is one of the best employers, their benefits and polices are great. Their policies are great however the people managing those policies bend them however they see fit which can be frustrating at the best of times
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
No real job security
27 May 2020
Thank you for your review. We are concerned by this allegation as PCL does not tolerate any violation of our policies. As such, we encourage you to report this to our confidential ethics helpline at 1-800-461-9330.
As with any construction company there are tight project deadlines and deliverable. PCL does have a good compensation structure if you are in it for the long term and invest in the company via shares. The management team is open, friendly and provides strong communication. Relocation is often required for advancement within most roles, however the company does assist with this. The variety of projects provides great opportunities to develop new knowledge.
26 May 2020
Thanks so much for your review! Please continue to share your feedback with us through your supervisor, HRPD team, and Glint surveys.
Great benefits, hours not always good if you have a young family.
Staff and Mgmt are friendly and all is well respected.

Lots of activities for staff and their families
I have only worked at PCL for a short time but have been incredibly impressed by the culture and the people. Employee ownership has driven an extremely strong awareness that everyone benefits on a 'rising tide'. This means that everyone I've come across works hard and the hours necessary to get the job done, that they are prepared to be innovative where it makes PCL a better builder, and everyone is deeply aware that cost control is key.

PCL's purpose of building People, Communities, and Legacies is a powerful statement of its history and of its aspiration!
Pros
Employee support
i like to work more hours over time and pcl d'ont have this opportunity that why i like to work at site c hydro dam must be exiting any way if you have something to offre me i whould be please to do my best of my capability.
18 November 2019
Thanks for your review! Please click on the "Jobs" section on this page or visit careers.pcl.com for more information about our current job opportunities.
ver save company to work forpay was great lots of overtime very good supervison new equipmentpcl always ha there equipment in good safe equipment lookafter them they will look after you
18 November 2019
Thank you for your review! We're glad you think PCL is a great place to work.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at PCL Construction?
If you need some real skills and experience avoid this company at all cost. This company treats carpentry apprentices as cheap and expendable labours. After year or so when apprentices get new level and their salary goes up, PCL just kicks them out and hire new guys. Management is a joke, arrogant and unprofessional. Safety is on the edge of absurd. You have to fill up thousands of paper in order to do even the simpliest task. Favoritism, backstabbing, ratting out - very toxic environtment. Procedure of layoff is extremely humiliating and disgusting. At the end of the week you are just told that they didn’t need you anymore and you are not allowed even say good buy to your cooworkers. Bottom line: Pcl is a garbage pile.
21 November 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. These comments are very concerning to us and we would like to investigate further. Please reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com or alternatively you may use our confidential PCL Helpline (1-800-461-9330).
PCL is delusional and considers the possibility of purchasing company shares on your own as "compensation", and as a result, underpays salaried staff. It's something we all talk about but HR refuses to acknowledge.

Executive team are delusional and hide away in their own floor, blowing thousands and thousands of dollars on themselves (a single-floor of private underground parking, specialty coffee machines, first-class flights, paid-for meals every day) while preaching to the rest of the company that saving money is important and nickle-and-diming us. Executives and upper management are hypocrites and it is depressing to see this every day.

HR is a puppet not looking out for you.

The Ethics Hotline is a joke and has ignored many valid ethics complaints.

PCL is all about seniority - the older Boomers who lived through the good dividend years are rolling cash while salaries stagnate for anybody with under 10 years seniority.
21 November 2019
We take all ethics complaints very seriously and are disappointed to hear about your experience. We invite you to follow up with us directly at indeed@pcl.com so that we can look into this further.
Uzun zaman pcl de calişdim iş gulturü ve bilmedigini öğrenme self ve tim work safety on plata maaş ödemesi taktir alma yukselme aile plani mukemmel company.
Fun to work there they really taught me how the world of construction goes the pay was a bit less but we had more hours (union) there was work to be done and it was great that i got to be a part of it
24 September 2019
Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time at PCL.
The company is good to work for. They have multiple openings and jobs avaibla hours not always guaranteed. A little cheap at times. Overall happy and good environment.
Meaning you will only work for the company as long as they need you
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No job security
nothing nice to say really.. laid off due to attendance. at the time my family member died.. got a yr ban.. nice! I would never work for this company ever again.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
company went non union which causes issues
Most employees are team players, great benefits especially the employee owned company profit sharing plan. Overall a good, solid company to work for if you like that type of construction. Long days are expected (and required) if you want to perform well.Initially the salaries are not great but buying every share when offered is a must as that's what pays off in the end.

The bad side is you are expected to move if told to do so and for the most part is inevitable; large companies work that way but it's part of the industry.

PCL is also known to be very safety conscious (a good thing) but over the top in many ways too. But part of their culture.
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
100 percent security all the time above regulation

They are taking good care for there employees : Ex: Social comity: Gift card, restaurant, escapade

I recommended that company to everyone
Pros
Gift card, Bonus
28 May 2019
Thank you for your review and for recommending us to others!
PCL is a strange company all around... the salary employees wear white hard hats, trades wear green ones. White hats get paid well and have the option to purchase shares in the company, green hats don't. This instantly creates a division between workers and for some reason even a receptionist acts like she is better then even the top trades guy in the company because she has a white hat to wear which is just ridiculous this brings the moral of hard working trades people down, trades are what build the buildings rain or snow we are out there working our butts off show some BLOODY RESPECT.
Pros
everyone is forced to be friendly, but they might stab you in the back
Cons
they will stab you in the back, then another white hat will come by, and spit on your lifeless body
16 April 2019
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. Please feel free to reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com so that we can investigate your experience further.
Good company to work for but wages could be better and they don't pay travel in too the city but they pay out of city travel . A lot of good ppl to work with and a little room to move up . Safty is up to date .
Pros
Good to work for
Cons
No travle pay in to the city and i had to pay for my own food out of town work