PCL Construction Employee Reviews

Good saftey record
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 December 2017
Very good company trained me well paid for all my training and taught me well my father worked there for 25 years and the lovEd him he trained me well
Great company
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2017
Very organized workplace lots of energy great orientation video the pcl stretch every morning is a brilliant idea. I was only a temp there so I didn't get to know a whole lot but what I do know is PCL is a great construction company the best I have seen yet.
Pros
Safety
Cons
Short breaks
Hard work pays off! If you just want a pay check work elsewhere.
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 November 2017
PCL rewards hardworking craft workers with great pay and continued employment. There are strict rules to follow but they tell you up front. No surprises. Staff employees have high expectations put on them but they should as it is a employee owned company. If you're just in it for a paycheck I would suggest working somewhere else. With this company you really get out of it what you put in. The only issue is, its hard to keep a good balance of work and home life but this is construction and unfortunately that's how it is.
Pros
Rewards Hard work and Dedication
Cons
Work / Home life balance
27 November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! It's great to see that you are reaping the benefits of your efforts. We appreciate your dedication and hard work.

Always something new
Pipefitter Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB19 November 2017
A typical day at work

Tool box meeting than make a plan with the team and assign different jobs. Then usually over to the lock out tag out shack so we can lock out on the system. After that we would put our plan into action.
Pros
Paid breaks good wages
Cons
Camp job
28 November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It sounds like there is some great team work happening on your project site and that is what we like to see!

29 November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It sounds like there is some great teamwork happening on your project site and that is what we like to see!

A good company
Document Control/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
Employee can share the successes of the company. There is always chance to learn new things. It gives you the opportunity to improve and going to the next level.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Some times, it is not busy
22 November 2017

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you had a rewarding experience at PCL. All the best!

Great place to work, great opportunities for advancement
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
PCL was a great place to work, it has strong work culture that focus on respect and excellence. There is plenty of training and opportunity for advancement. Work balance is difficult due to the nature of the business.
27 November 2017

Thanks for your review! We're so pleased to hear you had a positive experience during your time at PCL. All the best!

Great culture, pressure can be high
Junior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
Needs more on-boarding program for new employees especially new grads and co-op student to help them adapt to the construction environment faster. Great company culture, everyone is willing to help.
27 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We are always looking for ways to enhance our onboarding program so we would greatly appreciate it if you could share your suggestions with us at indeed@pcl.com. All the best!

Lovley
SKILLED LABORER (Former Employee) –  VANCOUVER, B.C.4 October 2017
It was awesome, I really loved working and definitly learning skills from the day started in construction with pcl was my first job, and they tought me very well.

27 November 2017

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear you enjoyed your time and learned a lot during your time with us. All the best!

Run Away
management (Former Employee) –  vancouver1 October 2017
Pros: Having PCL on your resume when you go and look for another job

Cons:
I worked in management for this company and left a long term government job to start with PCL. They are a tough company and don't pay very well, but they promised the moon, pay raises, advancement, etc, etc. They expect you to work 10+ hour days and constantly load you with heavy work loads. When it came time for a pay raise, they gave me a token amount which was a joke and the advancements never came, they just kept holding out the carrot for you to keep running after. The Christmas bonuses are a joke.

Its often said PCL means "People Come Last" and I would definitely agree with that statement. They really don't care how they treat people since they are Canada's largest contractor, people will always want to work for them.

After the second project I worked on came to a close I was laid off and I never looked back. Would I ever work there again? NO

Am I bitter, absolutely not, PCL taught me many things which I still feel were excellent in my future career. I would just caution any person taking a job there to get the employment conditions in writing that were discussed in your interview. If they don`t provide it in writing, send them a letter outlining the discussions. They have no issues with blatant lying

They talk a good game, but run away

I will also add that I left this review on another site and they asked me to write to them to discuss. I sent them a polite email to discuss to their requested address and never heard back from them. I followed up with a second email and again
  more... no reply. THIS JUST CONFIRMS THEY DON'T GIVE ONE IOTA ABOUT THEIR MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEES, HOW DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL ABOUT THEIR TRADESMEN AND WOMEN.  less
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
27 November 2017

Thank you for your continued efforts to reach out to us. Our records show that we replied to an e-mail from an individual who left an identical anonymous review on one of our other employer review sites, but we unfortunately did not receive a response. If you did not receive this e-mail, we would appreciate it if you could follow up with us at indeed@pcl.com.

apprentice
Welder Helper, Bolt-up pipes (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB21 September 2017
employees were well taken care of. supplied the needs every season, accomodation was also fantastic. lots of work but workers are not being pushed for progress especially if ts winter. 10/10 would work with the company again
Able to commute home every night on bus
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Northwest Refineries, Redwater18 September 2017
PCL was a good company to work for at one time, but on this particular job, they did not have tools or material for the workers, which made for a stressful environment, forcing workers to appear to be productive when they were just walking around. Then the workers get blamed for non-productivity.
good group of people
Heavy Equipment Operator / Crane Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2017
good company out good safety background serious about there projects gave me a lot of learning experience with different cranes and equipment happy to be a part of the team
Good work environement
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB13 September 2017
Good company to work for. Good salary, good management. love working night shift with a great crew. Would recommend this company to anyone seeking employment
Fast paced, great people, and very ethical
Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Fast paced, great people, and very ethical.If you are willing to put in the effort, you will be rewarded.....If your not willing to put in any effort, you can still manage to hold a position.
Pros
great people, great culture
Cons
lots of free hours to put in, over managed
It was good
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 August 2017
Why am I submitting reviews on companies for indeed.com? I find it a waste of time. All I want to do is apply for jobs and not need to review past companies I have worked for.
Poor Company
Senior Superintendent / Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2017
PCL Management Inc is a poor company in the construction industry... They have become a corporation that has forgotten their roots... The last two CEO's just think about money and not the people. They do not care about their employee's
Pros
None Now
Cons
Too Political
Great work site with poisonous people.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
This is a review about one of the construction sites overseen by PCL.

Every day was a challenge and I loved it. I had the opportunity to learn from cross functions and really initiate about what I wanted to do.

However, this particular work site had poisonous people--people who were favored by upper management and can get away with anything including negative personality disorders, bad work habits, and unfair treatment of other people. If you're loved by upper management, you will go far in any work site based on their recommendation. If you are butting heads with one of those poisonous people, you will never advance despite how well you do your work.
great company to work for
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2017
I've worked for Pcl construction before on the airport tunnel. I was in charge of the hoarding crew and cleaning crew. Plus I also rigging underneath the tower cranes. Each guy that worked for PCL. didnt matter what colour of hard hat you wore, from labourers, carpentars, or foremans. they would be there to help you out if you were struggling with something.. We treated everybody like family.
Alright place to work
Journeyman Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 August 2017
Its a pretty good place to work.
I enjoy working with the people that are there.
Sometimes Management is butting heads with others (Day Shift vs Night Shift)
Great Company to work for if you like traveling
INDUSTRIAL PROJECT ENGINEER/COORDINATOR, E.I.T (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
great company. lots of traveling, they compensate well for traveling. Great co worker, good working environment. high pressure. good to learn. fast pace environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.