PCL Construction Employee Reviews

Productive and focused
Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
Was only a student position; however, I was given the responsibility of a full-time employee. Most days I barely had a chance to drink my coffee. Would recommend.
18 October 2018

Thanks for your review! We trust and give our students lots of responsibilities so that you can learn lots, and experience what it's like to work at PCL after graduation. Please be sure to keep in touch with your district student program representative for more information about future student or full-time opportunities. All the best!

Worked as an Industrial Electrician
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
As long as your work, get the job done and obey the company policies and rules, you will have no problem. I worked 2 years for PCL on 3 different job sites and I made good money and I was always with good guys professional and good attitude.
18 October 2018

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time at PCL. All the best!

Not a Good Experience
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB18 September 2018
Company was not a good experience to work for. No compassion. Only worried about meeting their targets. Safety was compromised in order to meet their goals.
24 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. With an average of 20 million work hours annually, the PCL family of companies maintain an overall total recordable incident rate and overall lost-time frequency rate among the lowest in the industry. We strive to do this by being committed to providing employees with equipment, training, and best practices to achieve a shared goal of zero incidents. As such, we are concerned by this allegation and invite you to contact us at indeed@pcl.com so that we may investigate this further.

PCL employee review
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2018
Can get pigeon holed here if not a squeeky wheel. They do take care of employees in most regards, but trying to advance seems to be isolated to select persons if not part of ‘the club’ so to speak. This may not be an issue for some but felt it was fair warning. Can be put in a position to work many weekends and hours beyond normal and cause work life imbalance.
23 August 2018

Thanks for your review! Please be assured that PCL managers and HR professionals are provided with tools to make succession planning decisions based on individual performance. We encourage you to speak with your HRPD manager about any concerns you have regarding this and work-life balance.

whatever
Journeyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB16 July 2018
big job feel where you literally feel like just a number, camp was decent and comfortable, dont like line ups wherever you go, undesirable airport to fly out of but still a solid job
Pros
solid work
Cons
big job feel
Decent place to work
N/A (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2018
Depending on your position, it is a decent place to work. They do care about the opinions of the employees however, it does not really affect the decisions made by management.
Cons
Long hours, tight deadlines
Large company with little loyalty.
Site CSO / OFA - BC Place (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 June 2018
PCL handles large high profile jobs. They hire workers en-mass and lay them off the same way. There is no room for advancement. Nepotism is common leading to supervisors with the knowledge of experience required for successful management.
They hire through CLAC to be able to bid on jobs requiring union workers but employ with the absolute minimum deals.
While the safety culture is front and center, it's purpose is to serve the bottom line, as opposed to actually caring for the work force.
Good place to work overall
Electrical Apprentice Level 3 (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 June 2018
I've worked a lot of industrial camp jobs which require a certain kind of commitment to giving up a home life. Some are extremely challenging, PCL management was better than most. I was respected as a woman on the job after my initial break-in period and felt supported by my crew. So that's a good company!
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Working away from home
it was good
General Labourer(Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2018
a typical day at work was good.
i learned alot from the other labourers, different trades, other carpenters.
the managment was good.
workplace culture was, that most of the trades kept to them selves.
there wasn't really a hrad part of the job, it was quite easy.
most enjoyable part of the day is getting to go home after doing a long day of hard work.
Pros
Cons
ignorant co-workers
great pay cheque, long hours
Lead hand formwork carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2018
good group to work with. Ruled with fear... "If you don't come in Saturday, you'll be laid off!" Not a great job for someone with a new family. Foreman afraid to teach workers for fear they will surpass them.
Good place to work. But disorganized....
Electrical Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB20 May 2018
Very disorganized, would have multiple crews lined up yo do the same work. Good people but some poor workmanship due to inexperience in the industry..
Apprentice Electrician/Welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2018
very good company to work for, well managed and very secure towards safety. I really y enjoyed working for PCL and looking forward to work for them in the future.
Needs major Improvement
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 April 2018
I want to say way more and way less but unfortunately the review has to be a certain number before it'll let me move on PCL stands for people come last
Excellent Work area , full of great people and experiences
Solution Delivery Student (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
Excellent company to work with to gain experience with many people who are veterans in the field. The climate was welcoming and the work was rewarding. Would love to work for them again.
Great company
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB9 April 2018
I really enjoyed my time with PCL Energy. They let me progress as an electrician by allowing me to challenge my self with some difficult tasks. The people I worked with were all amazing.
Pros
Great company, great leadership
Challenging
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2018
Worked with some great people. For such a large company it operates as a very tight knit family. Interesting atmosphere where you will be challenged.
Pros
Many Team Building Opportunities
Cons
Hard to get into inner circle.
Fair place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2018
A huge company focused on commercial and high rise with minor civil. Branches all over North America, mostly successful and recognised in Canada.
Good for starting construction career and juniors , and those who come in at high levels. Confused for mid career employees and no clear start up point on contract (clarify before signing).
Mostly outsourced projects with minor selfperform job.
No appreciation for skill set gained outside of PCL. Everything should be achieved internally to be recognized including designations and trainings, unless you have the backup in executive team. So, if you are at mid career and/or with diverse background, you need to be very very patient for growth as you will see less experienced less educated (if any) employees raise based on their PCL years/network and you are left for at least first few years, no matter how good you perform.
You will see some nice old people very welcoming, as well as few rude young ones who barely willing to talk. Is there a generation change as a result of hiring?! Not sure.
Pros
Free lunch and coffee, training facilities, It
Cons
Stereotype
Great people to work with
Quality Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB10 March 2018
It is a high stress, fast paced environment. The most enjoyable is the great people you meet and create friendships with. With working away from your family, this is very important. We normally say "Our family away from our families"
Pros
Uplift on Project Sites
Cons
Long Hours
Continuous pressure to finish
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 March 2018
At the Ft. Hills project there was a lot of pressure to finish. There is a safe work culture but there was a continuous pressure from the client to finish.
Carpenter/Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 February 2018
Got a lot done in a safe and fun atmosphere. Management was excellent good leadership skills. always enjoyed going back to work.....i enjoyed the work schedule .
Pros
good wages
Cons
camp

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.