PCL Construction Employee Reviews

PCL Doesnt Care about its workers
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2019
Pcl is a terrible company they pass the back down the line no foreman ever accept responsibility they blame it on thier workers. Don't enquire or stand up for your human rights you'll be fired quicker than a bra comes off on prom night!
19 February 2019

We are disappointed about your experience at PCL and take ethics and human rights allegations extremely seriously. Please reach out to us via glassdoor@pcl.com so we can look into this further, or alternatively you may use our confidential ethics helpline (1-800-461-9330).

funworkplace
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2019
great company
great staff
great bosses
really fun place to work.............................,,,,,,,,
i really enjoyed working there ,,,,,,,i like to people i worked with
24 January 2019

Thank you for your review! We're so pleased that you enjoyed your time at PCL. All the best!

Best of the best...
Field Personnel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2018
By far the best place I've ever worked. Outstanding structure and support, challenging and rewarding opportunities available for people who want to advance their skills. Safety is always number one with PCL, and healthy work life balance is encouraged.
Pros
Solid team, always support available
28 December 2018

Thanks for your review! You've listed some great things that make us proud to be one of the best places to work in North America. Please continue to share your feedback with us through your supervisor, district HRPD team, and employee surveys.

Fun Corporate Culture
Business Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2018
The corporate culture here is very fun oriented. You will receive a multitude of free lunches and get a chance to part take in many events. Generally a great place to work.
28 December 2018

Thanks for your review - we're so glad to see that you enjoy working at PCL! Please continue to share your feedback with us through your supervisor, HRPD team, and our employee surveys.

Good company to work for
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Lac du Bonnet, MB / brandon, mb / winnipeg,mb29 November 2018
Good company to work for but wages could be better and they don't pay travel in too the city but they pay out of city travel . A lot of good ppl to work with and a little room to move up . Safty is up to date .
Pros
Good to work for
Cons
No travle pay in to the city and i had to pay for my own food out of town work
Good and bad
Journeyman Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 November 2018
Pcl has it's ups and downs like most companies. Was fond of the other workers while with pcl and good pay. Had some issues with safety trying to tell people how to do there jobs when they had no idea on how to accomplish the task at hand.
Great place
Heavy Equipment General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 November 2018
I loved working here I wish the project never ended Fantastic work environment great people happy life!! I would happily work here again. The staff cared about its people!
29 November 2018

Thanks for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time on your project, and we hope that you consider working with us again in the future. All the best!

Big company to retire
Estimating / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
Great location. Nice and safe environment. Great benefits but low pay. It is a big company to retire but advancement is hard. If no projects can lead to lay off.
People Come Last..
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB10 November 2018
As a crane operator definitely was not a good experience, believe it or not they are using under capacity lifting devices. When confronted management they were confused and puzzled during the time I was there there was no solution to this problem. first, they don’t pay you for orientation wchich was four hours second, I was told it was a permanent position it was temporary, third you can’t get a straight answer from management with any type of question. The guys there actually had a list posted on the revolving door crane operator that came before me. Really horrible horrible experience. In the end they told me that I was being relocated when in fact I was being laid off. Just very dirty tipicle corporate tricks they know they can get away with why because the union there allows these disrespectful actions of this company, now I know why they keep their personel office at 100st locked. C.L.A.C union seems to be the company’s representative.
Pros
I was close to home
Cons
No respect from this company their doors are locked
29 November 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very concerned about your experience and invite you to share more details with us so that we may investigate these matters further. Please contact us at indeed@pcl.com or alternatively you may contact our confidential PCL Ethics Helpline at 1-800-461-9330.

PCL Is A Growing Company In The Western World.
Human Resource Management (Current Employee) –  Ontario3 November 2018
In my review on PCL Construction Company.
1 The working environment is very good for the work.
2 They have good culture and communicate well with their employees.
3 Well organizing Company in Western World.
4 Good salary.
5 Good accommodation.
Pros
Human Resource Management
Cons
5-8 hours perday
Good company to work for
GENERAL LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB2 November 2018
Safety was very important and made me feel good going to work each day knowing PCL placed safety in such a high regard. The hours were good, Monday through friday, 7:30 am to 4 p.m.
29 November 2018

Thanks for your review! Safety is of utmost importance to us so we are pleased to see that you saw this in action on your job site. All the best!

labour
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 October 2018
enjoying the different outdoor climates.
working with heavy equipment.
great management team.
completing a task in a timely manner.
completing reports on a daily basis.
18 October 2018

Thanks for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed working with us, and felt supported by the team on your site. All the best!

Productive and focused
Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
Was only a student position; however, I was given the responsibility of a full-time employee. Most days I barely had a chance to drink my coffee. Would recommend.
18 October 2018

Thanks for your review! We trust and give our students lots of responsibilities so that you can learn lots, and experience what it's like to work at PCL after graduation. Please be sure to keep in touch with your district student program representative for more information about future student or full-time opportunities. All the best!

Worked as an Industrial Electrician
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
As long as your work, get the job done and obey the company policies and rules, you will have no problem. I worked 2 years for PCL on 3 different job sites and I made good money and I was always with good guys professional and good attitude.
18 October 2018

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time at PCL. All the best!

Not a Good Experience
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB18 September 2018
Company was not a good experience to work for. No compassion. Only worried about meeting their targets. Safety was compromised in order to meet their goals.
24 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. With an average of 20 million work hours annually, the PCL family of companies maintain an overall total recordable incident rate and overall lost-time frequency rate among the lowest in the industry. We strive to do this by being committed to providing employees with equipment, training, and best practices to achieve a shared goal of zero incidents. As such, we are concerned by this allegation and invite you to contact us at indeed@pcl.com so that we may investigate this further.

PCL employee review
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2018
Can get pigeon holed here if not a squeeky wheel. They do take care of employees in most regards, but trying to advance seems to be isolated to select persons if not part of ‘the club’ so to speak. This may not be an issue for some but felt it was fair warning. Can be put in a position to work many weekends and hours beyond normal and cause work life imbalance.
23 August 2018

Thanks for your review! Please be assured that PCL managers and HR professionals are provided with tools to make succession planning decisions based on individual performance. We encourage you to speak with your HRPD manager about any concerns you have regarding this and work-life balance.

whatever
Journeyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB16 July 2018
big job feel where you literally feel like just a number, camp was decent and comfortable, dont like line ups wherever you go, undesirable airport to fly out of but still a solid job
Pros
solid work
Cons
big job feel
Decent place to work
N/A (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2018
Depending on your position, it is a decent place to work. They do care about the opinions of the employees however, it does not really affect the decisions made by management.
Cons
Long hours, tight deadlines
Large company with little loyalty.
Site CSO / OFA - BC Place (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 June 2018
PCL handles large high profile jobs. They hire workers en-mass and lay them off the same way. There is no room for advancement. Nepotism is common leading to supervisors with the knowledge of experience required for successful management.
They hire through CLAC to be able to bid on jobs requiring union workers but employ with the absolute minimum deals.
While the safety culture is front and center, it's purpose is to serve the bottom line, as opposed to actually caring for the work force.
Good place to work overall
Electrical Apprentice Level 3 (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 June 2018
I've worked a lot of industrial camp jobs which require a certain kind of commitment to giving up a home life. Some are extremely challenging, PCL management was better than most. I was respected as a woman on the job after my initial break-in period and felt supported by my crew. So that's a good company!
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Working away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.