PCL Construction

PCL Construction: 325 Employee Reviews

Canada325 reviews

constructionsafetyforemansiteprojecttradecamptool

Okay but poor pay

Poor pay. Tried to sucker you in with shares, but were not enough to offset the lower pay. Very much an old boys club. Work was challenging enough, and there were great co workers.

Good project, grow fast if you dedicated. Less promotion,underpaid

If you are entry level in the industry you will learn a lot and grow a lot if you dedicate. However in my view the career review and promotion is not fair. Even you are a key contributor you may not have chance to get promoted.

15 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback. PCL's career management process provides an opportunity for supervisors and employees to discuss challenges, and accomplishments, and develop goals and plans for the future of your career. If you have concerns about career development, we encourage you to have a conversation with your supervisor or your district HRPD manager.

Insights into PCL Construction

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Just a number

Like most companies they say safety is #1, but all they really care about is production numbers. There is constant harassment from co workers, and even supervisors/lead hands, and nothing is done about it. They will blame you for your machine breaking down even when your inspecting it daily, you can tell them what's wrong with equipment till your blue in the face and they don't do a thing to get it fixed, then it's all your fault when it goes down.PeopleComeLast

17 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Our people and safety are our priority. If we have standards and practices that were not met, we would appreciate the opportunity to address them. We are interested to hear more about your experience to allow us to address your specific feedback appropriately. If you have any further comments, feedback or advice you would like to share we encourage you to reach out to indeed@pcl.com.

good place to work

Good guys to work with. Had fun on this job. Would return if they would take me back. Fair pay good shifts. Bathrooms were always clean and stocked with 3 ply.

20 May 2022
Glad to hear you had a great team for this project. Nice bathrooms are the cherry on top!

Great place & Great Environment

If you're in the Multimedia field, I highly recommend applying here. The team and management were friendly and approachable if you had any issues or questions.Work/life balance is excellent, and my manager was continuously checking in with me to see how I was doing or what would be my goals for the future.The only downside was being promised an FT position after graduating but being told it is non available at the moment.

Pros

Company gym, Company lunches/ food trucks, Great coffee, They train you on things you want to learn, Not an stressful environment

Cons

Being promised a FT position then not being able to get it

20 May 2022
Thanks for your review. I'd highly recommend signing up for the Talent Community on PCL.Com/careers. We have a variety of opportunities available! Make sure to keep in contact with your previous manager and HRPD team.

Great place to work, if you don't have experience they are willing to show you how to do your tasks, and if needed will train you.

A great place to start a career in the construction industry. There are many avenues for advancement to take if you prove you're willing to work for those advancements

13 May 2022
PCL is dedicated to the growth and development of entry-level employees. You are the future of our industry and we are here to support your journey! Thanks for your contributions to building better communities.

Not a bad place

The company was put together well and they had a lot of tools that you could use to do the job. Overall it was easy to fit in. They paid for all my travel as well

Pros

Good pay

13 May 2022
Thanks for your review! If there was anything we could have done to make your experience even better, let us know!

Just a number

PCL acts like they care about their employees safety and puts on a show that everyone at PCL is part of a team. PCL is cheap. You as an employee are completely disposable and they expect you to be a robot, which is a moving target… Everyone on this planet is human. They are an average company to work for as long as you are doing your job correctly, the second you are even involved in a mistake or incident. Your job is threatened and you are either drug tested or some stupid disciplinary action. Haha life is too short to be treated like dirt. All of the paperwork they make you fill out is just so they can save themselves in court. It’s really not for your safety at all.

Pros

P.C.L normally has lots of entertaining porta-potty graffiti

Cons

No compassion, not understanding, extremely frugal.

6 April 2022
Safety is at the core of PCL. We are committed to providing employees with equipment, training, and best practices to make sure everyone can go home safely at the end of the day.

Fast-Paced, Collaborative Environment. Lots to Learn

Gives you meaningful experience into thee realm of project management and coordination. Gets you right into the action without a long training period.

29 March 2022
We are happy to hear your student term was filled with opportunities to develop and grow. PCL is invested in cultivating its next generation of leaders, which could include you! Make sure to check our careers site for future opportunities.

Good people and respect

.the first thing to make sure you arrive early to be able to have the order of the day. after being clear about the work that needs to be done. go to the place where you can pick up the tools and start doing the tasks as a team

21 March 2022
We appreciate your specific feedback for success. Teamwork is at the center of all of our projects to be able to build better futures, together.

Extremely positive experience so far. PCL values its employees and you can notice it even after only a few months working for the company.

Professional and friendly work environment, approachable leaders and top management who encourage you to work hard by appreciating what you do and by giving you the tools you need to succeed.Everyone is working together to bolster our company's success, and you can see that the team is passionate about this opportunity.The leadership is doing a great job leading by example and continuing to bring in great employees. They value integrity and they follow high standards of business ethics.Great company structure, procedures, and great communication between departments.People are nice and friendly, always ready to help.

Pros

Great benefits, Great technology, Opportunity to grow and to plan your career development, Great location (Alexis Nihon Shopping center), Integrity, Transparency, Respect, Diversity and inclusion activities.

Cons

None so far

21 March 2022
Thank you so much for your review! PCL's purpose is to build people, communities, and legacies. It sounds like Montreal has a workplace culture that contributes to building and cultivating all 3 of our purpose pillars.

Zero Advancement

Nepotism is this company's middle name. They would treat field workings like dogs and discipline you for being a minute late from break. The only decent thing about working for them is the above average salary.

24 March 2022
We will pass on your feedback to the leadership team. If you’d like to provide more details regarding your experience please reach out to indeed@pcl.com.

I was an engineering student, it was a great first intro to the industry, management and HR was friendly and supportive. Pay is a little low.

Staff was friendly, good opportunity to work - everyone around you works hard and is motivating. If you know your stuff and put in the work you can definitely succeed. They prefer hiring new grads who interned at PCL as well so i you want to stay at the company it seems like it will be a good experience. Pay was somewhat lower than I would expect but from what people say - the benefits and profit sharing is good in the long term.

Pros

Supportive management, good exposure to the industry, lots of opportunity to learn and do things

Cons

Sometimes hours might get long, okay ish pay

3 March 2022
You have highlighted some great perks about working at PCL. Our high-performance culture is fueled by our employee ownership model. Our total rewards approach to compensation levels is aligned with industry rates in your region. Our students are the future of our industry, and we are just as invested in what's ahead for you as we are in what's ahead for our company.

Pcl

High volume, fast-paced environment. Large crew. Many departments. Central to the city. Well maintained property. Corporate environment. Employee events happen often.

3 March 2022
Thank you for your review! PCL has 1000+ active projects, which can be challenging, but also very rewarding. In our culture of ownership, accomplishments are shared by all of our hard-working teams.

PCL is not a company where ideas can nurture, not a company for the young generation

As a result of the Share options, the company lacks the vision of growth and ignores the changes happening in the construction industry today. The majority of staff lives in the late 1900's early 2000's model of project execution and delivery, and are unwilling to change since they hold positions of importance.

Pros

PCL's name

Cons

Too much office politics, unconnected teams, caring for profits, and not quality

11 April 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Our employee ownership mindset drives us all to look ahead for the future of our company, clients, projects and partners. Ownership is more than sharing in the profits. It means sharing a responsibility to be our best every day. If you have any suggestions on process improvement please talk to your supervisor or use our employee surveys to provide feedback.

Overall a good place to work

unless you’re really good at your job or in good with some of the mid management you’ll probably find yourself getting laid off quite often between jobs

26 January 2022
We appreciate your review. We are concerned with your feedback, as it is not in alignment with PCL's commitment to ethical practices. If you're comfortable sharing more details with us, please reach out to indeed@pcl.com.

Fast paced work environment with good people

We work hard everyday to hit our jobs quota and it makes the days go by fast. The people I have been working with are all great. The work is easy but very repetitive at the solar farm.

Pros

Good people, easy work.

Cons

Working outside in the elements, sometimes loss of hours due to weather

26 January 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Construction and the weather in Alberta can be hard to predict. We appreciate all your efforts and contributions to the solar project. We are happy to hear you have a great team to work and brave the elements with!

Productive and collaborative environment.

PCL was a great place to work. I was a student and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of responsibility I was given. It was a very collaborative environment and everyone was always ready to answer any questions I had.

26 January 2022
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate all of the contributions you made during your time with us. We look forward to more opportunities for us to work together in the future.

Good people. Good energy.

Pcl west coast is a good place to work. I'd go back if they'd let me. one of the best safety oriented places to work besides hydro. Some sites may be difficult.

Pros

Depends on the site.

6 January 2022
Thank you so much for your review! We are elated to hear that you care about safety as much as we do. PCL is always looking for ways to improve, feel free to suggest improvements during the next PCL project you're a part of.

Fast paced and quit demanding, but overall a good place to work. Pay could be a bit better.

Overall, this is a good place to work. Work-life balance is good, and they aren't too picky if you need to take time off for whatever reason, as long as it is a valid reason of course. Hours are long, however that's not a big deal for me. I really can't complain about the experience I had working here.

Pros

Long hours, available optional overtime, decent management.

Cons

Pay could be better, temporary layoffs.

6 January 2022
Hello, thank you for your review. PCL understands that work-life balance is important and life demands can fluctuate; similar to our projects and hours required to meet our client's needs. We appreciate your contributions to building our communities. We hope you decide to work with us again on one of our future projects!

Pcl

Oil and gas. Work yourself out of a job. Lots of people looking to stay on the bus, instead of under it. Provided decent camp, benefits and pay....

13 December 2021
Thank you for providing feedback. If you wish to provide further details regarding your experience, please email us at indeed@pcl.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement