PCL Construction

PCL Construction Employee Reviews

Canada273 reviews
Fast Paced Environment
As with any construction company there are tight project deadlines and deliverable. PCL does have a good compensation structure if you are in it for the long term and invest in the company via shares. The management team is open, friendly and provides strong communication. Relocation is often required for advancement within most roles, however the company does assist with this. The variety of projects provides great opportunities to develop new knowledge.
Caution Required
In a corporate manner PCL is one of the best employers, their benefits and polices are great. Their policies are great however the people managing those policies bend them however they see fit which can be frustrating at the best of times
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
No real job security
Horrible conglomerate of lies, abuse and denial.
This place has no regard for dignity, person, privacy.

Everyone from management, the board, to front line workers use daily work at pcl to white wash the lies that place generates.

Organized crime in denial, a thy use such as opportunity to for economic, political gains and favours to manipulate contracts ( receive, and obligation ) from usa , others.. to assist others to white wash their questionable business and political practices, agendas and profits.
23 April 2020
The PCL family of companies has zero tolerance towards all violations of the law and our ethics and code of conduct. In order for us to investigate further, we ask that you please report this to our confidential ethics helpline at 1-800-461-9330.
Friday barbecues
PCL is a great safety orientated company who truly cares about the health and wellbeing about all of its employees, they truly care abut your opinion when it comes to the building process.
17 April 2020
Thanks for your review! It's so great to hear that you're having a great experience at PCL. We miss our social gatherings and events and can't wait to have these again when it's safe to do so.
Good people and good jobs
It's a great place to start a career for someone who wants to travel and work in a fast paced environment with lots of opportunity to grow. I really enjoyed my time at PCL.
8 April 2020
We're glad to see that you had a great start to your career at PCL. Thank you for your feedback!
Overall pretty good
PCL is a very fast paced company that live what they do. Some of the foreman and jr managers are quite inexperienced with construction process and relating to the workers but most are great people to work with
23 March 2020
Thank you for your review! We're glad you had a great experience with your team. We invite you to follow up with us at indeed@pcl.com with any specific feedback you may have on our managers.
Work Monday thru Friday. As electrician I learn on working on the tray and terminated the instruments
Safety first is the most important at pcl. Have the good safety behaviour and you’ll comply with pcl policies. Team player Is the good skill to be confident to work with any team at pcl
23 March 2020
Thanks for your review! It's great to know that you witnessed and upheld safe work practices on your jobsite. All the best!
Treat people awful
Treat there employees like they are disposable. Do not recommend getting involved with this employer. The upper management is terribly blinded by greed and they brain wash there employees with false promises.
23 March 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us. Please contact us at indeed@pcl.com so we can look into this further.
High paced, fun and challenging
Many great people working at PCL. If you are looking for a place to learn a lot, PCL is the company you want to work for!
Over the last 5 years, I have worked with many different groups and the people I learned the most from were the PCL superintendents. They are an excellent bunch of individuals with high standards for safety.

Top Notch!
23 March 2020
Thanks for your review! We appreciate your efforts as an HSE supervisor to uphold our safety standards.
Big boys club
I worked for Pcl and the work culture was horrible. If you enjoy being harrassed and yelled at on a daily basis then this is the job for you. It got so bad at one point that hr just ignored the problem and prevented nothing happened
23 March 2020
Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. PCL does not tolerate any form of harassment and we would like to investigate your experience further. Please contact our confidential ethics helpline at 1-800-461-9330 or reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com.
Great company to work for
From the moment that I was hired, I was welcomed into a great working atmosphere where everyone worked towards the same goal.
Great team to be a part of.
Pros
Continuous learning promoted and encouraged via in-house College of Construction
23 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback! Providing our employees with professional and personal development opportunities is so important to us. It's great to see that you took advantage of this during your time here.
Good place to work.
Great company with lots of independence to get your work done. Very rigid corporate structure and not much opportunity for individual advancement or recognition.
23 March 2020
Thanks for your feedback! We are always seeking ways to improve so we invite you to share your suggestions for recognizing our employees via indeed@pcl.com.
A very good place to get experience and knowledge of what construction is all about.
I worked in some of the most isolated places in the extreme arctic conditions of Canada. There was no Home depot to get extra materials. You measured twiced and cut once. You worked hard but did not sweat and if you did it turned into small ice cubes. You worked as a team with all the sub trades. I learned how to do other trade skills with people up there. You had to have a positive attitude . The office made sure you had the right tools to perform the tasks at hand. The fishing was great up there. Can't beat arctic char. Northern experience has made me to be pro active and any one else that goes up there learns that too very fast.
27 February 2020
It sounds like you had an amazing and rewarding experience up North and we're so happy that PCL was a part of that. All the best!
N/a
N/A
Personally, I felt mistreated by the management and unappreciated. Therfore I have nothing more to say about working with this company. I will never work for them again nor would I recommend anyone else to work them as well. However everyone has their own opinion.
27 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're disappointed to hear that you did not feel appreciated during your time at PCL and we would like to look into this further. If you feel comfortable doing so, you're more than welcome to contact us at glassdoor@pcl.com with more details of your experience.
Just the facts
The fact is, this is a construction company. No mater if your a good worker or not, you may not have a job tomorrow. On-top of this, even if you are liked by the majority, if one supervisor does not like you, senorety means nothing, even in the union. You will pile on to the layoffs.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Job insecurety
18 February 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We invite you to follow up with us at indeed@pcl.com so we can look into this further.
Good Company
Great benefits, hours not always good if you have a young family.
Staff and Mgmt are friendly and all is well respected.

Lots of activities for staff and their families
Productive and great people to work with
Fun fast paced fun to work with most of the other people there. The managment team lacks knowledge and instruction is poor.Transportation to sight and back to camp is very poor and unorganized.
Pros
free rooms and food
Cons
long hrs minimal sleep
18 February 2020
Thanks for your feedback! We invite you to reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com with more details on your experience with management and transportation so we can look into this further.
Really enjoyed my employment at pcl I worked on the destination university project here in Lethbridge and found my job to be challenging wich I like my foreman vinny hall was a great boss to work for very knowledgeable being employed with pcl for 35 years I found him to be very professional in his daily orders to his crew I wish the job was still available but project was completed and I choose not to relocate to Calgary as I just purchased a home in Lethbridge
18 February 2020
Thanks for your feedback! We're glad you had an enjoyable experience and we appreciate your contribution to the University project. All the best!
worked for 6 months
laid off with shortage of work. stressful situations and conditions at times. half workforce was great, the other half was frustrating to work with. it was decent
18 February 2020
Thank you for your review. If there is anything we could have done to reduce the amount of stress on your jobsite, please reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com.
Enjoyed working with other trades and mentoring apprentices .Getting information to complete job task on time was slow. Job completion was very satisfying.
18 February 2020
Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at PCL.
Pcl fab shop
Worst ever bunch of buddies from the union. All family . Cant say nothing to no one or your singled out. They pick and choose who they want to do what. No learning or training. Typical union lazy mentality
18 February 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback. If you are comfortable and willing to share more details of your experience with us, please reach out to us at indeed@pcl.com.