PCL Construction Employee Reviews

"B" Welder,SteamFitter/PipeFitter
B-Pressure welder/Pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 February 2018
i as a "B" pressure Welder, doing TIG,MIG.FLUX CORE, CWB. SMAW,GMAW,STT. MAX/S/S. gauging cutting, tacking, welding, measuring, and i have more welding tickets, plus as a PipeFitter, fitting pipe and fitting,
Great work environment and great group of people
CARPENTER-Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with PCL. I moved from a labourer to an apprentice carpenter position. I am grateful for that opportunity and everything I have learned during my tenure with the company.
Physically and intellectually demanding work with great incentives
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB26 January 2018
A typical day at a PCL site centers around a solid safety culture, no one is asked to perform tasks in a dangerous way. The management is supportive and excels at enabling workers to achieve their potential. The hardest part of any construction job in a refinery setting will always be doing the work safely while still remaining productive; though these challenges are presented to many companies, I can say with certainty that no company deals with adversity the way PCL does.
Pros
Opportunities to demonstrate valuable skills and abilities
Cons
Physically demanding, exposure to the elements
Productive place to work with lots of opportunity for advancement
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
A typical day at PCL is fast paced, exciting and full of new challenges. The employees at PCL really care for the business and take the right steps to present PCL in a positive manor.
Pros
Job advancement
Cons
Not my first choice to work but when offered work I take it
Journeyman Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2018
PCL is always looking for people to advance within the company which is great but I have found that the deadlines they have to meet are very strict. PCL should start doing competency testing for all trades hired, there is always lots of rework
Pros
Not hard to get into supevision positions, competetitive wages
Cons
Hard to plan more than 3 days ahead, Constant changes in work scope, No competency testing for many trades
Laborer /Finisher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 January 2018
Great place to work, the pay is really good, your treated well. Room for advancement within the company. Work hard and it will pay off, great work environment.
Pros
The pay, the people, the environment
Cons
Not much
Pcl
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 January 2018
- Excellent long term company
- Excellent project
- Long hours
- Pay is low, but stocks is good
- Hard to move up
- need better training
- Do not see management too much
One of the best organization to work for!
District HSE Manager - Southern Alberta (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
My time at PCL was one of the best experiences I have had over my entire career. The company supported my goals and family. It was a family atmosphere, that encourage individuals to grow and prosper within the organization.
Pros
People
Cons
Growth
atypical day at work
Carpenter / Formwork Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Carpenter, SK3 January 2018
they mostly give you all tools and equipment you need to finish your job.
adapting to new ways to finish your job can be painfull hard.
the care towards there workforce should be higher.
Pros
good team
Cons
dont get hurt on the job
Good Accomodation
Electrician - Forthills (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 December 2017
Good place to work. Learned a lot of things. Good teamwork. management, supervisors and workers are supportive and helping each other. At the end of the shift we have a good times.
Good saftey record
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 December 2017
Very good company trained me well paid for all my training and taught me well my father worked there for 25 years and the lovEd him he trained me well
11 December 2017

Thanks for your review! We're glad to see that you took advantage of our training opportunities during your time here. All the best!

Great company
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2017
Very organized workplace lots of energy great orientation video the pcl stretch every morning is a brilliant idea. I was only a temp there so I didn't get to know a whole lot but what I do know is PCL is a great construction company the best I have seen yet.
Pros
Safety
Cons
Short breaks
11 December 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Safety is of utmost importance to us so it's great to see that your job site promoted and encouraged this.

Busy place, good learning opportunities
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2017
Great group of people to work with. Shared there knowledge and experiences. Busy work place days went by quick. would defiantly return when more work available.
Pros
good pay, experienced supervision, safety first.
Cons
not much
11 December 2017

It's great to hear that you learned a lot and enjoyed the team environment at PCL. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Hard work pays off! If you just want a pay check work elsewhere.
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 November 2017
PCL rewards hardworking craft workers with great pay and continued employment. There are strict rules to follow but they tell you up front. No surprises. Staff employees have high expectations put on them but they should as it is a employee owned company. If you're just in it for a paycheck I would suggest working somewhere else. With this company you really get out of it what you put in. The only issue is, its hard to keep a good balance of work and home life but this is construction and unfortunately that's how it is.
Pros
Rewards Hard work and Dedication
Cons
Work / Home life balance
27 November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! It's great to see that you are reaping the benefits of your efforts. We appreciate your dedication and hard work.

Always something new
Pipefitter Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB19 November 2017
A typical day at work

Tool box meeting than make a plan with the team and assign different jobs. Then usually over to the lock out tag out shack so we can lock out on the system. After that we would put our plan into action.
Pros
Paid breaks good wages
Cons
Camp job
28 November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It sounds like there is some great team work happening on your project site and that is what we like to see!

29 November 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It sounds like there is some great teamwork happening on your project site and that is what we like to see!

A good company
Document Control/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
Employee can share the successes of the company. There is always chance to learn new things. It gives you the opportunity to improve and going to the next level.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Some times, it is not busy
22 November 2017

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you had a rewarding experience at PCL. All the best!

Great place to work, great opportunities for advancement
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
PCL was a great place to work, it has strong work culture that focus on respect and excellence. There is plenty of training and opportunity for advancement. Work balance is difficult due to the nature of the business.
27 November 2017

Thanks for your review! We're so pleased to hear you had a positive experience during your time at PCL. All the best!

Great culture, pressure can be high
Junior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
Needs more on-boarding program for new employees especially new grads and co-op student to help them adapt to the construction environment faster. Great company culture, everyone is willing to help.
27 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We are always looking for ways to enhance our onboarding program so we would greatly appreciate it if you could share your suggestions with us at indeed@pcl.com. All the best!

Lovley
SKILLED LABORER (Former Employee) –  VANCOUVER, B.C.4 October 2017
It was awesome, I really loved working and definitly learning skills from the day started in construction with pcl was my first job, and they tought me very well.

27 November 2017

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear you enjoyed your time and learned a lot during your time with us. All the best!

Run Away
management (Former Employee) –  vancouver1 October 2017
Pros: Having PCL on your resume when you go and look for another job

Cons:
I worked in management for this company and left a long term government job to start with PCL. They are a tough company and don't pay very well, but they promised the moon, pay raises, advancement, etc, etc. They expect you to work 10+ hour days and constantly load you with heavy work loads. When it came time for a pay raise, they gave me a token amount which was a joke and the advancements never came, they just kept holding out the carrot for you to keep running after. The Christmas bonuses are a joke.

Its often said PCL means "People Come Last" and I would definitely agree with that statement. They really don't care how they treat people since they are Canada's largest contractor, people will always want to work for them.

After the second project I worked on came to a close I was laid off and I never looked back. Would I ever work there again? NO

Am I bitter, absolutely not, PCL taught me many things which I still feel were excellent in my future career. I would just caution any person taking a job there to get the employment conditions in writing that were discussed in your interview. If they don`t provide it in writing, send them a letter outlining the discussions. They have no issues with blatant lying

They talk a good game, but run away

I will also add that I left this review on another site and they asked me to write to them to discuss. I sent them a polite email to discuss to their requested address and never heard back from them. I followed up with a second email and again
  more... no reply. THIS JUST CONFIRMS THEY DON'T GIVE ONE IOTA ABOUT THEIR MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEES, HOW DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL ABOUT THEIR TRADESMEN AND WOMEN.  less
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
27 November 2017

Thank you for your continued efforts to reach out to us. Our records show that we replied to an e-mail from an individual who left an identical anonymous review on one of our other employer review sites, but we unfortunately did not receive a response. If you did not receive this e-mail, we would appreciate it if you could follow up with us at indeed@pcl.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.