Payless ShoeSource

Clear
3.1Pay & benefits

Found 61 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,516 reviews

Good summer job

The Payless I worked at was in a mall, so that made it even busy at times. We had to be open on all the holidays because it was in a mall. You’re on your feet all day, yes you do get lunch and a break but still its demanding on your feet and plus you would sometimes have to climb up ladders to get shoes from the top. The customers weren't that bad, most of time you would get nice people who don't want to give you a hard time.

Pros

When it's not that busy you can chill in the back

Cons

Long hours, underpaid, demanding

My experience with Payless was that the management uses lower staff to do all the duties they don’t want to do. Things such as running shipment, presentation changes, sale changes, etc. Very micromanaged at this company. And no chance of advancing after almost 2 years without having to relocate. Not for a retail job! Also only received 30% discount which was less than customers discounts half the time.

Pros

Cons

Lots of work, no incentives, no benefits

Insights into Payless ShoeSource

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Awesome store managers, although not a lot of backup available when needed to support staff. Clients were the best part of the job. Great perks and benefits.

About my experience in Payless

I had a good experience there, but I was student that time as well and they were flexible about my time worked. I tried to do best. I had good costumer service in Payless shoe company

Was good

Until they’re closed down They were a very good company good management until they went in bankruptcy’s I like working at Payless it was busy in the Christmas we work a lot of hoursI have no complain about anything

Productive and fun loving with my partner

It was a nice and good job to handle and salary was quite comfortable for me. I provided and learned to handle the customers with piece of information which they require.

very good productive and fun place to work at

very good place to work at it was a great experience working there if the I didn't get into a car accident I would have stayed and worked more but ufortunately some things are unstoppable and we can't do anything over all it is a good store and anyone would love to work in a friendly environment.

Pros

good team

Cons

A should be better place to work

Day to day task and work were pretty demanding. We have to balance our work between service and task. The challenge always be working with minuscule payroll allocation compared with the amount of work to be done.

Pros

Decent benefits, pretty stable

Cons

Stressful working environment

Great Staff enviroment , fun and productive place to work

Greeting customers and determining what they were looking for, helping with opinions on what they were trying on and showing other shoes, ringing in at cash, Thanking Them for coming and hopefully returning, create comfortable shopping experience, end of shift cash reports and deposit. Banks runs with deposit, scheduling, training, interviews. Learned a lot from my Manager she was very helpful in my training as Assistant Manager. Staff was great and easy to work with. Hardest part was standing on the cement floors for a 8 plus shift,comfortable shoes were an asset.Getting to know our customers and having many regulars and being able to help them in there shoe hunt and purchase.

Benefits

Cons

standing for long periods

OK place to work

When i was employed here there was not alot of hours available for staff, but it was an enjoyable place to work with alot of great co-workers. The job was easy and enjoyable.

Pros

Easy job

Cons

short hours

Pay management well

preaches work life balance but managers work long days and have high expecatatins with minimal payroll budgets. Job security threatened by upper management on regular basis. Stores are always dirty and poorly maintained regardless of time spent on them. Good benefits package including RRSP

Manager was a mess, but a nice place to work

Gave me my first retail experience. Was a fun environment. Had a great employee discount rate. However, they want to keep you as a part timer as long as possible. And their choices of managers aren't always great.

great

enjoyable work environment that teaches a lot about team work and accomplishing team goals. Easy to learn work, pay was good and not too stressful, good time.

travail en equipe

trail en equipe , agreable environement, excellence au niveau du service a la clientele

Pros

travail en equipe

Cons

pauses courtes

workplace

payless shoe company was a great place to work, flexible hours it was a fun place to work great co-workers the management was good. great customers .

Pros

good hours

Cons

short brakes

Not only will you pay less, you'll be paid less.

I took this job because I was told I was guaranteed 15 hours a week (I'm a student). This happened for about 2 weeks and because of this I was encouraged to quit my second job. The moment I did that I was dropped down to 5 hours a week with great performance reviews yet no explanation for this. I was also given a really hard time about taking my exam dates off. You usually have 5 hours shifts with no break (just under the legal requirements for breaks so they can get away with it) but as you are expected to never stop moving, this was very physically demanding. I would not recommend this company.

Team is amazing

The team itself gives a comfortable environment to work in and many of the customers do make your work more interesting because they give you that positive vibe to work and give services. The salary however lacks as compared to the amount of work you do, it is very less. The management team is great and understanding which makes you want to work for this company but sometimes they have to be a little strict when it comes to the sales of the stores which can be a positive intuitive.

workplace culture

Excellent environment, respect at enjoyable job.Cultural diversity, personal growth, salary increases depending on productivity. Payless sees the employee as part of the great family

Pros

Salary increases depending on productivity

Cons

Short pauses

Under paid

I think management was not very good when I worked here. There was no real training, manager was always complaining and wanting days off. I was over worked and forced to take on more responsibility than I signed up for and was making minimum wage with no benefits so I ended up leaving.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Ling hours, under paid

Great family atmosphere

very family friendly, create great teams and amazing training...lots of discounts and perks and kuddos given when allowed..Payless was home away from and family for me

Pros

benefits and discounts family

Cons

Great team. Little room for advancement

I loved my time working for this company, I loved my coworkers and managers. The discount on shoes was amazing but there was little movement for raises or advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement