Payless ShoeSource

Clear
3.1Job security & advancement

Found 97 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,516 reviews

Great place to learn.

Is great place to learn and improve customer service skills. Also, as part of the management team, you are going to have a hands on approach to everything.

learning environment

It was a great learning experience. the workplace culture was little competitive. the typical day at work would be greeting customers and helping them out.

Insights into Payless ShoeSource

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

The work was pretty much straight forward. However the management team was poor

Working at Payless was difficult at times because of bad management. My manager was unprofessional and I didn’t feel part of the team. I actually requested a transfer out of that particular location.

Pros

Customer service skills

Cons

Bad management

Payless was a great place to work with an engaging and supportive culture.

Payless ShoeSource was committed to promoting from within and provided excellent career opportunities for committed business professionals. Payless provided excellent learning and development programs.

Great culture and great fellow associates

Great place to have come up through the ranks to learn all about retail management. Only reason for leaving Payless Shoesource was that the company filed for bankruptcy earlier this year .I'm sure l would still be employed with them if bankruptcy had not happened. Thank you.

About my experience in Payless

I had a good experience there, but I was student that time as well and they were flexible about my time worked. I tried to do best. I had good costumer service in Payless shoe company

Great people. Ok environment

Great people made friends for life. By end of time at company it was not good. the company was going out of business so all bad stuff was dialed to eleven.

Clear company standards and expectations

As with any large company there was up and downs with working there, much of it was dependent upon the District Leader at the time. The company stood behind their product but staffing was too far in the last few years

Productive Workplace

Good workplace, with experience as a cashier, stocking merchandise, helping customers. Average pay, with opportunity for advancement. Good work atmosphere with team members.

It was a fun company to work for

Payless Shoe Source was a great company to work for, management noticed associates potential and promotions were bases on that. I worked for this company for 16 years, since arriving in Canada, I began my career as a Sales Associate and became a Multi Store Leader, created a great relationship with all, from sales associates, Assistant Managers, group Leaders, District Leaders, it was and still is very sad to know this company declared bankruptcy.

Key sales associate

Great place to work. Had a continuing education program and would work with employee to better them self. Small staff but good team dynamics. Slower paced but enjoyable.

Productivity, Customer interraction

Greet customers, offer assistance, Explain promotion and explain about the product. Check promotion updates, Stay up to date with Sales and KPI, daily, weekly and monthly. Prepare weekly Target sales and how to achieve them. Prepare weekly Time sheets and update the time sheets at the end of the week. Train and coach the associates. Coach to achieve their daily conversion, UPT, DPT etc.

Pros

Flexible time table

Cons

Long hours at certain times.

Was a good job till it closed

I really liked working for Payless though the pay was never great, my boss and coworkers were excellent. If we never closed I would have stayed for awhile. The way that they handled the bankruptcy was not good. we were told that we were doing fine for over a year and even when the USA stores were told that they were closing we were made to feel like the Can. stores were going to pull a Toys R Us and not close for about a week. It was not nice how they gave us a bit of false hope that we wouldn't lose our jobs and then we did.

Productive and fun workplace

Everything was great and it helps me so much. I learn everything that I was supposed to know about it and so happy to learn about new places, also contribute what they’ve taught me

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

No enough hours

Nepotism personified

Your job is secure depending on your district leader or group leader and if you feed their egos. With lots of years experience within the company, you get no room for advancement after becoming a store leader even though your store out performs its kpi's, unprofessional behavior and comments from direct management. Rotating management should be done often instead of settling down managers because they live close by but cannot perform well in their jobs.

Pros

Discounts and great customers who make you feel better about your job

Cons

Long hours, no home time and poor payroll

Good Company but closing

I loved working at Payless but I am now being laid off along with over 2,400 other employees across the country. The work enviroment was always great.

Pros

good customers

Cons

limited growth

Good People

I have worked with a lot of people at payless and I have appreciated every single one of them. I have been here for 7 years and I am only leaving because they are closing all locations.

Fast Paced Environment & Flexible Hours

I have been working at Payless for a little over an year now, I love working here as it is very convenient for me regarding the timing, place, and work environment is very safe and fun. However, very sad that Payless is now closing all stores, hence, I am trying to look for another job with my experience and skills I have gained.

Pros

Amazing Staff, Flexible hours, Safe Work Environment

Cons

Not very advanced (technology wise)

All depends on your manager.

When I had a not so nice manager, the job was something I dreaded going to everyday. Eventually changes happened and we got a new, younger manager who did everything in their power to be firm but fair and didn't nitpick everything you did. I learned how to do scheduling, some month end paperwork, learned about KPIs and a little bit into how to train new staff. A lot of the learning was either word of mouth/dvds or endless booklets. It needed some serious upgrades however. There was alot of pressure to make KPIs, which wasn't always easy when traffic was next to nothing, or we didn't have the product that was in demand.

Pros

Easy work

What I learned

This job allowed me to observe and communicate to a variety of people. It also allowed me to understand more about the concept of what goes into a business.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Not a lot of hours.

Not an ideal workplace.

I was becoming a very efficient employee and then I was fired due the fact I would have had one 3 hour shift every two weeks. No two week notice and I was a week from finishing probation. Not given a chance to be a valued employee and am currently struggling to find a job and keep up with expenses.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

minimal hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement