Payless ShoeSource

Store Manager41 reviews
Canada41 reviews

Found 41 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,561 reviews
shoeshoesourcestoreshipmentcustomertagdiscountcustom

Can be stressful, but overall fun

I worked at Payless ShoeSource for nearly 2 decades. I found they treated their employees quite well if their work performance warranted it. It was a lot of work with large shipments, changing promotions every couple weeks (tagging many boxes of shoes individually), and balancing customers with maintaining the store. Even though some days were a challenge, it is still my favourite job I've ever had. I miss the people I had the opportunity to work with.

Payless+Families= What it's all about!

Just like their Business model states! Payless is in business for families and because of families! both out front for all our costumers, and behind the scenes, within the team and management. It is a pleasure to work for a company with such strong relationships who work hard to offer the best service at the best prices for our families! The biggest pay off of all this hard work shows in our regular costumers who always leave us happy and satisfied with all their purchases, that fit perfectly with their every day needs. THAT is the best part about working there along the wonderful relationships we gained with our fellow coworkers.

Pros

Family Friendly environment.

Insights into Payless ShoeSource

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Pay management well

preaches work life balance but managers work long days and have high expecatatins with minimal payroll budgets. Job security threatened by upper management on regular basis. Stores are always dirty and poorly maintained regardless of time spent on them. Good benefits package including RRSP

Stand alone store great hours but lots of down time

Good place overall to work. Lots of down time due to being a stand alone store. Worked alone quite a bit. I found that I was cleaning a lot just to keep busy. Also found the shoes didn't change over much from season to season so hard to see last seasons styles.

Pros

lots of down time

Cons

flexible schedule

Warm and enjoyable environment to work

Good place to work, gain lots of skills to sell, suggest merchandise , tell promotions , also i started as a part timer and did all the CBL's and ascend as an assistant in the company

It's great if you want part time.

If you're looking for a full-time job, you won't get a true one at this company unless you work at a high volume store. Minimum hours for full-time is 32. Management varies by store, some are good, some like to play by their own rules. If you're a lower volume store you get less hours, which makes it difficult to balance customers and tasks sometimes. Especially when they want both to be perfectly done. One of the hardest parts of the job is trying to meet sales goals when the traffic in your location is lower then normal and you get constant reminders that you need to be on top off everyone, to the point of being one of those "annoying pushy sales people". There is also minimal security in stores, so they rely on the staff to be watching everyone which isn't always the easiest thing to do. When you have a good team around you, the job can be enjoyable. I've learned that just because someone tells you, you can't/shouldn't do something it doesn't mean they are right. There is always someone else you can talk to.

Pros

Schedules are generally flexible

Cons

Hours, Management

Great Team atmosphere

Great group of people to work with, lots of support when needed by peers, fun environment, great discounts and contests, fun styles for the whole family

Pros

The team atmosphere, great employee discounts

Cons

Heavy physical workload, long hours

professional people! best coaching!

just started working there and love it! new challenge! new demands and needs! best place to start your career to be the best! new things to discover! need to focus more on co workers to increase the income and productivity!

fun if you love shoes

Not enough full time position and no room to move up. The only thing i can say is that they have great benefits and great staff. The only bad thing i can say is people didn't respect the store, so you'll always find shoes throughout the aisle an missing shoes.

Pros

discount on shoes

Cons

mall hours

Fast paced and fun

A typical day started with me checking the entire store, making shure everything is where it should be, opening, cleaning, getting ready for the day, the environment was great, I loved all my co-workers, as a manager you have to balance paper work, stock, and give great customer service, The hardest part of the job was, only when stock was delayed, made it hard when we did not have what our customers wanted, I loved my coworkers and the stores music, it made you happy.

Pros

Great discounts

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Payless ShoeSource?

Fun and productive work place

Coring ware was a great learning experience, I was able to grow with this company from An associates position to store manager in a short period of time.

Never a dull moment

There is never a moment where you will have nothing to do. There is always a lot of tasks being dropped down to store level from corporate on top of the general maintenance of the store. There is a good variety of products for women and kids, there is a selection for men however it is much smaller. As a manager I find it hard to complete all tasks that are assigned on a weekly basis due to the lack of support from corporate in terms of staffing hours for the pt associates.

Professional work ethics and compliance

It is an amazing place to be, with strong ethical codes and a disciplined defined work system. I have learnt quote alot, including coaching my associates and be more professional towards customers and colleague. I do all the paperwork and I have learnt quite a lot of admin work.

A very warm work environment with fun-loving people,Happy selling shoes

A typical day at work started with me signing in the system at the back office; checking the communications from the head office, sales performance of my associate and that day's target sales. Then I would give a round in the store to see how my merchandises are displayed and give a break to the associate.Take care of the sales floor till the associate is back. Then we used to do the next task to be completed;either filling or shipment or any management or training job. End of the store hours, closing the Point Of Sales and computer after calculation and locking the store.So i have pretty much learned all skills required in a retail environment. My co-workers were fun-loving and hard working,so it was never tiring being long hours in the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers. Different people different personalities with different needs,and making most of them happy used to make me love this job more.

Pros

Quick career growth if sincere and hard working

Cons

Too often promotion change

Great Co-Workers, Upper Management needs better planning skills

Great people to work with but no labour to perform the weekly price changes and other operation duties that needed to be performed. Worked alone for minimum 5 hours per shift before next person came in. Constant changes to promotions then switching back to the original promo 3 weeks later a great waste of time.

Pros

Great discount on Shoes

Cons

Many tasks without the hours to perform them

Lots of Multi-tasking

• Everyday started with Supervising Staff and assigning daily duties • Merchandising apparels and footwear as per Plano grams • Conducting regular surveys of the store and zoning high risk areas to prevent loss • Managing inventory and evaluating store performance • Training and Evaluating the team on customer service, sales and store theft prevention skills • Maintaining employee sales, return analysis and performance reports. and most important Customer Service all day long.

Fun working place

Day to day store oprations Finding Good associates to be in the team helped Opene New stores for the distric

cheap company

poor management and horrible wages combined with shoddy products

Pros

cheap shoes

Cons

poor wages, no opportunity, poor quality products

Low paying but a stable organization with high standards

The current mission statement, for Payless, has refocused on value and customer service. This refocusing, is an attempt to regain our market share and lost traffic.

Pros

discount on shoes

Cons

store managers have been downsized to store leaders. pay scale accordingly reduced

excellent team enviorment and surrounded by gtreat people

Customer Service is always first, along with ongoing coaching sessions with associates. Things are always changing, making sure deadlines are met. There is a remarkable sense of teamwork within the stores and the district along with ongoing support.

Pros

excellent associate discount

wonderful

This job is an amazing experience, the people are so polite and its a very nice place to work. i have learned a lot of skills by pursuing this job and it is just amazing.

Pros

meet new people everyday

Cons

too many hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement