Payless ShoeSource

Canada37 reviews

Found 37 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,519 reviews
shoeshoesourcestoreshipmentcustomertagdiscountcustom

Stressful

overall it's a stressful environment, often understaffed to offset the busiest times of the day, You can't schedule employees for a 3 hour or split shift every day. You have to be on your toes and often the workload is extreme.

Payless is no longer in Canada.

Payless is no longer in Canada. It was a great company to work for. It was very sad to see them leave. I love working with people and the team I had in every store I managed where amazing.

Insights into Payless ShoeSource

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Awesome store managers, although not a lot of backup available when needed to support staff. Clients were the best part of the job. Great perks and benefits.

Great culture and great fellow associates

Great place to have come up through the ranks to learn all about retail management. Only reason for leaving Payless Shoesource was that the company filed for bankruptcy earlier this year .I'm sure l would still be employed with them if bankruptcy had not happened. Thank you.

Payless was the best job i ever had

Loved working at payless. I was very disappointed when they closed. Management was very good. Our dl was very fair and she expected great sales and customer service. She treated her staff with respect and she got that respect back. We had a dedicated, hardworking staff.

Fun fast-paced environment stressing excellent customer service

A fun, fast-paced environment building great customer service in selling mens, woman's and childrens shoes and accessories. Management was very supportive in growth within the company and in store training.

Clear company standards and expectations

As with any large company there was up and downs with working there, much of it was dependent upon the District Leader at the time. The company stood behind their product but staffing was too far in the last few years

Productive and fun place to work.

Lots of work. Always keeps you busy which I liked. You meet a lot of new people and there is room to grow. Upper Management is great and works with your availability.

Pros

discount

Cons

It was a fun company to work for

Payless Shoe Source was a great company to work for, management noticed associates potential and promotions were bases on that. I worked for this company for 16 years, since arriving in Canada, I began my career as a Sales Associate and became a Multi Store Leader, created a great relationship with all, from sales associates, Assistant Managers, group Leaders, District Leaders, it was and still is very sad to know this company declared bankruptcy.

Productivity, Customer interraction

Greet customers, offer assistance, Explain promotion and explain about the product. Check promotion updates, Stay up to date with Sales and KPI, daily, weekly and monthly. Prepare weekly Target sales and how to achieve them. Prepare weekly Time sheets and update the time sheets at the end of the week. Train and coach the associates. Coach to achieve their daily conversion, UPT, DPT etc.

Pros

Flexible time table

Cons

Long hours at certain times.

Sold good value shoes for the entire family

Company went bankrupt. Was a good place to work.Good communication between stores and district leader. Great working with customers and associates helping people find what they needed.

A should be better place to work

Day to day task and work were pretty demanding. We have to balance our work between service and task. The challenge always be working with minuscule payroll allocation compared with the amount of work to be done.

Pros

Decent benefits, pretty stable

Cons

Stressful working environment

manager

It was an alright company to work for before the new owner took over. The costumers are one of the worse customers I have ever seen, and the company is going bankrupt.

Nepotism personified

Your job is secure depending on your district leader or group leader and if you feed their egos. With lots of years experience within the company, you get no room for advancement after becoming a store leader even though your store out performs its kpi's, unprofessional behavior and comments from direct management. Rotating management should be done often instead of settling down managers because they live close by but cannot perform well in their jobs.

Pros

Discounts and great customers who make you feel better about your job

Cons

Long hours, no home time and poor payroll

Good People

I have worked with a lot of people at payless and I have appreciated every single one of them. I have been here for 7 years and I am only leaving because they are closing all locations.

Loved working for paylesss

I loved working with payless shoes everyday I loved coming to work, I have never had a the most inspiring, motivating team to work with, I will miss my payless family and colleagues , I grown with company as a person and as a professional. I am sad to see payless close after more than 60 years in business.

All depends on your manager.

When I had a not so nice manager, the job was something I dreaded going to everyday. Eventually changes happened and we got a new, younger manager who did everything in their power to be firm but fair and didn't nitpick everything you did. I learned how to do scheduling, some month end paperwork, learned about KPIs and a little bit into how to train new staff. A lot of the learning was either word of mouth/dvds or endless booklets. It needed some serious upgrades however. There was alot of pressure to make KPIs, which wasn't always easy when traffic was next to nothing, or we didn't have the product that was in demand.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Payless+Families= What it's all about!

Just like their Business model states! Payless is in business for families and because of families! both out front for all our costumers, and behind the scenes, within the team and management. It is a pleasure to work for a company with such strong relationships who work hard to offer the best service at the best prices for our families! The biggest pay off of all this hard work shows in our regular costumers who always leave us happy and satisfied with all their purchases, that fit perfectly with their every day needs. THAT is the best part about working there along the wonderful relationships we gained with our fellow coworkers.

Pros

Family Friendly environment.

Pay management well

preaches work life balance but managers work long days and have high expecatatins with minimal payroll budgets. Job security threatened by upper management on regular basis. Stores are always dirty and poorly maintained regardless of time spent on them. Good benefits package including RRSP

Stand alone store great hours but lots of down time

Good place overall to work. Lots of down time due to being a stand alone store. Worked alone quite a bit. I found that I was cleaning a lot just to keep busy. Also found the shoes didn't change over much from season to season so hard to see last seasons styles.

Pros

lots of down time

Cons

flexible schedule

Warm and enjoyable environment to work

Good place to work, gain lots of skills to sell, suggest merchandise , tell promotions , also i started as a part timer and did all the CBL's and ascend as an assistant in the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement