Payless ShoeSource

3.1Pay & benefits

Found 44 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,572 reviews
shoeshoesourcestoreshipmentcustomertagdiscountcustom

Good experience

Good experience for someone in need of cash handling and retail experience. If you have kids, the schedule isn't the best because managers get the best shift and rarely work weekends.

Don’t work for Payless ShoeSource because you are going to waste your time miserable

At Payless Shoe Source you only get good benefits such as PTO, Health Insurance, good pay rate, bonuses, etc if you are the Store Manager. I am not talking about employees working at corporate office. The benefits including good salary, etc is for Store Managers, District Managers, Regional Managers, and for other executives at corporate office.

Insights into Payless ShoeSource

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Company filed bankrupt

The company filed bankrupt this year and only has stores in certain parts of the country, overall very low pay and hard work compared to other retail jobs

Excellent store

I loved working at Payless Shoesource. Good work place. Friendly coworkers. Flexible schedule. Good benefits. We never had problems with eachother at store.

Horrible place to work

If you're looking for someplace to make easy cash while having no bills to your name.. this is the place for you. If you're looking for job advancement, support from your upper management team, flexibility, great pay, awesome work environment, encouragement; this is not the place for you. At payless the only goal is to make sales with minimum team members and lack of guidance.

Pros

Discount on shoes, career opportunity

Cons

Pay, flexibility, no holiday pay, heavily taxed pay checks, no job advancement, poor managment

Excellent Company

This was an excellent company to work for. If you were management you got vacation, personal and sick time. You also got offered insurance, 401k and life insurance. It was very competitive but, very fun to find new ideas to sell to customers and all management was very supportive and helpful. Just saw they had to close.

Fun environment with lovely empoyees

I loved this position. It was a great job to create friendship and camaraderie amongst employees. It never felt like work. I enjoyed the fast paced environment as well as working with the public.

Pros

freedom of work

Cons

lack of compensation

Management was great fun place to work great discounts great training was always willing to help never wanted to see anybody fail as an associate flexible scheduling great benefits for full-time employees

Pros

Great pay and benefits great management

Cons

Closure of the company

With the right staff, it’s a good job

I started as an assistant manager with a great store manager and staff. The holidays were a little stressful, but the team made it easy to work through the busy season. Pay is meh, benefits are also meh, but it’s not a very demanding job. I ended up leaving due to a personal issue with the DM. My store manager decided to leave the company, I was never even offered to apply for his position, the DM instead hired his friend who knew absolutely nothing about managing a store. I was stuck training some one who was unqualified for the job and being paid quite a bit more than me. For around two months I was carrying the load of store manager and assistant store manager, even when I decided to leave the company I was tasked with training my replacement, the assistant store manager, because the store manager lacked the proper skills to do so. This part of the review has less to do with the company and more to do with this particular district. Overall the job was not to bad, decent for a college kid or a temporary job.

Pros

Discount on shoes, generally laid back environment

Cons

Stressful holidays, certain performance goals were unrealistic, pay, benefits

Na

It was great Manager was excelent Great benefits I learned a lot Great discounts Good product Good team Very stressfull job i ended with high blood preasure

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

It’s a job

Payless has its days but it’s definitely not something you want to make a career nobody’s job is secure no matter how long you’ve worked there they pay is okay but it’s definitely not enough for the amount of work they want you to do

Very laid back work inviroment

I worked at Payless since 12/01/2013 and as of 10/02/2018 I was asked to resign or be fired. I only got one raise and it wasn’t enough to live off of.

Pros

Laid back, hour break, 30 percent discount

Cons

Long shifts, not consistent with raises.

great place to work for just need more pay

i loved working at payless i learned a lot and quickly climbed the ladder i was on my way to running my own store just after 5 years but the pay and work/life balance was not worth it

Pros

fun be yourself type of place

Cons

low pay

not a career place

Payless is stressful. They expect you to do so much and not pay you for the work. They put so much stress on sales and making your goals. Once again depending on your location, it can be stressful and annoying.

Not a company to make a living from

Upper management (GM, DL, RM, up to the CEO) put too much stress on Store Leaders and Assistant Store Leaders on a daily basis. They have a lot of reports for SL’s and ASL’s to review and a lot of trackers that need to be tracked on a daily basis. You will do from doing customer service, working on the register, to processing shipments (1-2 a week), changing promotions (2-4 weeks), tasking plus meeting your goals hourly and having to make sure all daily goals are met by the end of the day with only 2 people a shift. If they would only focus on making sales goals that would be great!

Pros

Benefits, paid holidays, discounts, sick hours, personal time hours, vacation hours

Cons

Upper management puts too much stress, too many reports, unrealistic goals, too many trackers to keep track of, not too many hours, not good pay, not a lot of payroll given to high traffic stores

Worst place

Worst management I ever worked for. Never trained good. Was rude to under employees. Not good pay at all. Not good insurance. Too stressful worked every holiday except christmas.

Pros

No pros

Fun Company

Able to grow within company. Good benefits. Easy going management. Not enough employee coverage. Working with clients was fun. Workplace cleanliness was good.

Stressful job little hours

If a higher position you basically won't have a life outside of your job. Customer service is stressful because of the rude customers. You're always cleaning the store. Too much work for the hours they give you.

Pros

30% discount, weekly pay

Cons

Rude Customers, they always cut your hours

Unprofessional

The manager is a micromanager... she sets her expectations too high for minimum wage paid part-time employees. And she speaks very badly about her employees.

Pros

Paid time off

Cons

Bad management

It’s a good place to work, but pay is horrible.

Love the job, love the customers, but you’re expected to do everything in the store and get paid just above minimum. Don’t expect raises, you might or might not get one depending on how the year goes. If you do get one, don’t expect a whole lot.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Pay

Very fun work place. I really like interacting with the customers from young to old. Great benefits and discounts. My customers love me. I always make them feel special.

Pros

Hour lunch breaks and great discounts