Payless ShoeSource

Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager18 reviews
Canada18 reviews

Found 18 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,519 reviews

Business no longer exist. I wrote this review so Indeed would stop asking me to rate my experience every time I logged on

When it was in operation, it was a great place to work. Our store was lucky we had a great team and management was firm but fair and approachable. Too bad the company was unable to survive

get to try on shoes

Always a fun day helping people get the right pair of shoes, setting up the right displays to get the customers to stop and take a look and buying a new pair

Insights into Payless ShoeSource

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

leadership skills

At payless shoes i did a variety which made it interesting. Interacting with customers and new coworkers was fun as i enjoy meeting new people and learning from them.

Worst. Place. Ever.

They're all closed down. I think this speaks for itself. Terrible management. Horrible teenagers you have to try to wrangle to work. Garbage pay. Dont ever ask for help, that's apparently considered a sign of weakness and unreliability.

The company is closed it doesnt matter

It was a great place to work because of the fellow employees. Unfortunately that doesn't matter because the company is now closed due to bankruptcy so this review is pointless

Great Staff enviroment , fun and productive place to work

Greeting customers and determining what they were looking for, helping with opinions on what they were trying on and showing other shoes, ringing in at cash, Thanking Them for coming and hopefully returning, create comfortable shopping experience, end of shift cash reports and deposit. Banks runs with deposit, scheduling, training, interviews. Learned a lot from my Manager she was very helpful in my training as Assistant Manager. Staff was great and easy to work with. Hardest part was standing on the cement floors for a 8 plus shift,comfortable shoes were an asset.Getting to know our customers and having many regulars and being able to help them in there shoe hunt and purchase.

Benefits

Cons

standing for long periods

Career Planning

There was a DSO change while I was on maternity. Prior to maternity I was in MIT training. When I returned the New DSO did not follow through and even though I had the training an experience to take over the store when the current store manager left I was declined the position with no training plan and continued doing the same tasks as a store manager.

Mediocre experience

Worked with Payless for almost 4 years. Management sucks and the goals are ridiculous sometimes. But overall, if you're starting out in retail and wanting to get out of your shell, this is a good place to start until you realize you're worth more.

Customer oriented

A typical day is all about customer service. I learn about client services and multitasking. As an assistant manager, I do scheduling and planning. The hardest part of the job is to stand on your feet all day. The most enjoyable part is to interact with clients.

Pros

Flexible shifts

Cons

There is not much for growth.

Typical Retail Environment

The job itself is is what anyone might expect of a retail position. A typical day consists of helping customers, and basic tasking such as merchandising, tidying, running stock, ordering supplies, and maintaining full racks and displays. The store staff in my store is fun, and friendly to work with, while still being productive, and made the balance of work life and personal life easy to manage. Other stores typically had higher turnover due to students working part time for the school year, or only in the summer. The company itself has a tendency to micro-manage the store management and staff, while not providing sufficient training resources or requirements for the management level.

Pros

Discount shoes, flexible hours

Cons

minimum wage start, high turnover in most stores

rewarding place to work

Working at payless was an opportunity I am grateful to have had as it provided me the opportunity to learn and grow in the field of customer service and management.

Friendly, Productive

Friendly environment to work in. Management disorganized. Long hours. Enjoyed the Job and work very much but the company organization was very confusing and always changing. There was no consistency in expectations from the Group leaders.

Fun Place to get into

Working at payless has a little of everything, from helping with customers, learning till like exchanges and payments, doing payroll and making sure the store looks presentable. Makes the day even better when you have great people you work with.

Fun workplace with emphasis on new employee training.

Emphasis on servicing the customers and opportunities to learn sales techniques and service requirments. Fantastic computer training and classroom management based training. The hardest part of the job is to create room for seasonal product change.Numerous locations resulted in facilities remaining the same with out upgrades and renovations hurting the attraction of new customers. This company trusted me and ensured I was exposed to areas important for measuring business metrics and being able to address Retail business shortfalls. It emphasized the roles and requirements of a successful Retailer.

Very unsafe workplace

After working for this company in various roles in many different stores I would tell perspective employees to look elsewhere for work. After half of our store was forced to relinquish our fulltime position or be fired, we were then treated as though we were useless, worthless and easily replaceable. Even though all of us at this particular location were very long standing staff members, it appears that higher management would much rather train new-comers than keep and advance "senior" employees. Threats made towards employees or an assault situation are not taken seriously by head office. Most of the days are spent alone in a free-standing store[meaning not in mall] and at one point (in an effort to cut hours even more) district managers suggested closing the stores with 1 employee. If our manager had been stupid enough to impliment this it would have left us alone and defenceless openly handling cash after sundown. Employee safety and security is of VERY low importance!

Pros

employee discount

Cons

UNSAFE work environment

Opportunity to advance, great benifits

Typical day would include - opening store, cash count, greeting customers, explaining promos, working through new hire work books, training, inventory scanning, product placement, shelf displays, talking about promotions with customers, assisting with sizing for children and adults. I learned many different customer services skills, organization skills, and training methods for new and existing staff. Management was always able to help you move up in the company and encouraged staff to apply for opening positions. Co-workers were hard working and motivated. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with demand for new products and keeping up with busy months when short staffed. Most enjoyable was the customer interaction as well as the close friendships developed between staff.

Pros

Incentive Program - Great Benefits

Cons

Long Hours, Always Short Staffed

Review

after security tagging all items in the store, i spent half the day alone in the store with no help from my staff members. this particular mall that i worked in was in need of police on a 24/7 level. i needed undercover security for myself for a week or so because of a threat on me. was not given any extra man hours for the store.

Pros

discounts on shoes

Cons

unsafe enviroment

Learn suggestive selling

Challenged to meet daily targets which can be very exciting and I enjoy it.

Pros

stretch yourself

Cons

limited opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement