Payless ShoeSource
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Canada417 reviews

Found 417 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,514 reviews

Business no longer exist. I wrote this review so Indeed would stop asking me to rate my experience every time I logged on

When it was in operation, it was a great place to work. Our store was lucky we had a great team and management was firm but fair and approachable. Too bad the company was unable to survive

Starter job

Okay starter job. Worked during high school. Not much to say as they have closed down. All in all it was a decent place to work while in school as a kid.

Fast paced

It’s a retail job at the end of the day. Corporate was clueless. Always working holidays but usually had a flexibly schedule. All in all decent place

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Confusing task contastantly busy

Good summer job

The Payless I worked at was in a mall, so that made it even busy at times. We had to be open on all the holidays because it was in a mall. You’re on your feet all day, yes you do get lunch and a break but still its demanding on your feet and plus you would sometimes have to climb up ladders to get shoes from the top. The customers weren't that bad, most of time you would get nice people who don't want to give you a hard time.

Pros

When it's not that busy you can chill in the back

Cons

Long hours, underpaid, demanding

My experience with Payless was that the management uses lower staff to do all the duties they don’t want to do. Things such as running shipment, presentation changes, sale changes, etc. Very micromanaged at this company. And no chance of advancing after almost 2 years without having to relocate. Not for a retail job! Also only received 30% discount which was less than customers discounts half the time.

Pros

Cons

Lots of work, no incentives, no benefits

Nice Manager

I worked here part-time during the summer. The manager was quite strict but also very understanding of the struggles for a newbie. She was willing to let new people learn and improve.

Pros

Employee discounts; good for young people as summer jobs

Great place to learn.

Is great place to learn and improve customer service skills. Also, as part of the management team, you are going to have a hands on approach to everything.

It honestly was great to work there, unfortunately the manager refused written time off, co- owner was a snakey so they went bankrupt.

Saleswoman; organizing each item is in the right place/ on the floor, picking up any packaging from shoe boxes, speak with customers and reassure they leave happy with the best item for their needs, cashier, computer skills, restocking shelves properly with new product & scanning tags daily for proper sale postings, possessed key holder after passing 3month probation, neglected 6 weeks ahead note for time off Poor management I enjoyed everything but that^

Small retail store with relatively friendly staff

The work environment was mostly relaxed and fun, my coworkers were friendly and became like family. Problems with upper management and a failure to keep up with modern business practices caused the company to go bankrupt, so obviously would not recommend applying as they no longer exist.

Pros

relaxed environment, friendly coworkers, generous employee discounts

Cons

outdated policies, no online store, bad upper management.

easy place to work

- easy place to work - clients can be difficult - hard to meet store quotas some days - can work entirely independently - interview process is super long

Productive and Good Starting Job

The staff is super friendly and it is a great place for a starting job. Helped create good work habits. Management was great and very helpful in training

learning environment

It was a great learning experience. the workplace culture was little competitive. the typical day at work would be greeting customers and helping them out.

I'm really going to miss this place.

I loved this store. I loved the customers, I loved checking them out, I loved knowing a lot about shoes, I loved how I could chill with my coworkers and talk about life while vamping shoes. I loved closing. I loved the system where we counted the money and I could sweep and mop at my leisure. I loved the 90's training videos that were still relevant to how the store ran. I loved bending over backward so people whould have a good time shopping. They shouldn't have shut down.

Fun place but no longer in business

I loved working here, it was a great part time job. It was faced paced, but easy going. The customers were always happy and friendly. It is unfortunate that this place went bankrupt.

Lovely managers and co workers. Easy and fun but sad to see it close. The products were great and fair prices. I would work here again. Nothing bad to say about the company.

get to try on shoes

Always a fun day helping people get the right pair of shoes, setting up the right displays to get the customers to stop and take a look and buying a new pair

Unfortunately the company shut down now because of bankruptcy

I enjoyed working for Payless shoes. The team was enjoyable and friendly to work with and I like that it was a busy work pace. If the company were to open back up I would work for them again

The work was pretty much straight forward. However the management team was poor

Working at Payless was difficult at times because of bad management. My manager was unprofessional and I didn’t feel part of the team. I actually requested a transfer out of that particular location.

Pros

Customer service skills

Cons

Bad management

Stressful

overall it's a stressful environment, often understaffed to offset the busiest times of the day, You can't schedule employees for a 3 hour or split shift every day. You have to be on your toes and often the workload is extreme.

Relaxed environment

I had fun working for the company. Its fast paced and time goes so fast. But its not stressful even though we're busy most of the time, because co-workers are actually helpful. We're working but at the same time we're having fun

Payless was a great place to work with an engaging and supportive culture.

Payless ShoeSource was committed to promoting from within and provided excellent career opportunities for committed business professionals. Payless provided excellent learning and development programs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement