Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Found 354 reviews matching the search See all 4,555 reviews
Nepotism personified
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON17 March 2019
Your job is secure depending on your district leader or group leader and if you feed their egos. With lots of years experience within the company, you get no room for advancement after becoming a store leader even though your store out performs its kpi's, unprofessional behavior and comments from direct management. Rotating management should be done often instead of settling down managers because they live close by but cannot perform well in their jobs.
Pros
Discounts and great customers who make you feel better about your job
Cons
Long hours, no home time and poor payroll
Super great to work there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON15 March 2019
Payless is a super fun upbeat place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The people who I worked with were super kind, as well as helpful. It has a great atmosphere.
Pros
Small amount of people to work with at a time
Cons
The store is closing
Good Company but closing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2019
I loved working at Payless but I am now being laid off along with over 2,400 other employees across the country. The work enviroment was always great.
Pros
good customers
Cons
limited growth
agreable
Commis-caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 March 2019
parfait pour un travail etudiant, environment calme
Pros
beaucoup
Cons
je ne sais pas
AMAZING place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick8 March 2019
The staff, the management, everything about this job is amazing, the only reason im leaving unfortunately is because we are going out of buisness. Which sucks
Good People
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 March 2019
I have worked with a lot of people at payless and I have appreciated every single one of them. I have been here for 7 years and I am only leaving because they are closing all locations.
Fast paced sales and hard working environment
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 March 2019
Depending on the amount of customers, work is easy going, fun, and educational. The experience has taught me valuable customer service skills, being a team member, collaborating with other, understanding how to operate cash, knowing about product inventory and enhancing communication skills.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours given
Fast Paced Environment & Flexible Hours
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 February 2019
I have been working at Payless for a little over an year now, I love working here as it is very convenient for me regarding the timing, place, and work environment is very safe and fun. However, very sad that Payless is now closing all stores, hence, I am trying to look for another job with my experience and skills I have gained.
Pros
Amazing Staff, Flexible hours, Safe Work Environment
Cons
Not very advanced (technology wise)
Assistant Manager of a Multi-Store (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 February 2019
I had a very nice time working here. Unfortunately due to the news about the closings i am out of a job . However in the time i was there i had a very nice experience.
Pros
great management, great staff, clean quiet work
Cons
minimal coverage due to lack of hours.
Loved working for paylesss
Assistant Store Leader/ Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2019
I loved working with payless shoes everyday I loved coming to work, I have never had a the most inspiring, motivating team to work with, I will miss my payless family and colleagues , I grown with company as a person and as a professional. I am sad to see payless close after more than 60 years in business.
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2019
It is not a bad place to work. As long as the associates do their jobs and are not lazy it makes everything easier but a lot is expected for store upkeep.
All depends on your manager.
Assistant Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 February 2019
When I had a not so nice manager, the job was something I dreaded going to everyday. Eventually changes happened and we got a new, younger manager who did everything in their power to be firm but fair and didn't nitpick everything you did.

I learned how to do scheduling, some month end paperwork, learned about KPIs and a little bit into how to train new staff. A lot of the learning was either word of mouth/dvds or endless booklets. It needed some serious upgrades however.

There was alot of pressure to make KPIs, which wasn't always easy when traffic was next to nothing, or we didn't have the product that was in demand.
Pros
Easy work
What I learned
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario19 February 2019
This job allowed me to observe and communicate to a variety of people. It also allowed me to understand more about the concept of what goes into a business.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not a lot of hours.
Productif
Assistante gérante (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC19 February 2019
Jai aimer travailler ici quelle dommage que sa ferme...
Pros
Javais un bon staff
Cons
Sa ferme
Payless+Families= What it's all about!
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 February 2019
Just like their Business model states! Payless is in business for families and because of families! both out front for all our costumers, and behind the scenes, within the team and management. It is a pleasure to work for a company with such strong relationships who work hard to offer the best service at the best prices for our families! The biggest pay off of all this hard work shows in our regular costumers who always leave us happy and satisfied with all their purchases, that fit perfectly with their every day needs. THAT is the best part about working there along the wonderful relationships we gained with our fellow coworkers.
Pros
Family Friendly environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON13 February 2019
not a fun place with the kind of environment. Small location so limited time and dealing with customers may give you limited time to anything other than assisting customer.
OK place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB8 February 2019
When i was employed here there was not alot of hours available for staff, but it was an enjoyable place to work with alot of great co-workers. The job was easy and enjoyable.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
short hours
Great Environment to Work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2019
A typical day includes running some type of shipment while making sure customers are leaving home with a lovely experience. Learned just about everything there is to know excluding management roles. Management is lovely flexible, easy to converse with. All staff is pleasant to work with, get along with everyone just fine. Managing all the tasks given when you are working by yourself. Staff is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great staff, Flexible management, always enough tasks
Cons
always working by yourself (slightly harder to complete tasks when you are by yourself), Never enough hours
Not an ideal workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2019
I was becoming a very efficient employee and then I was fired due the fact I would have had one 3 hour shift every two weeks. No two week notice and I was a week from finishing probation. Not given a chance to be a valued employee and am currently struggling to find a job and keep up with expenses.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
minimal hours
Good.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2019
I was very nice and learning experience. I have learned customer handling and Merchandising understanding and developed Interpersonal skills.
Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K