Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Found 321 reviews matching the search See all 4,289 reviews
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2018
They have the ability to produce work quickly and in a timely manner.They’re honest, hard-working, and good at creating a collaborative work environment.They have gone above and beyond to make our customers happy.
Working at Payless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC9 November 2018
I hated working at payless. The management was going downhill and the people were just giving me pointless jobs. I could not grow at all at payless. This was one of the worst jobs I've ever had.
Decent place for a short time
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 October 2018
Hours and shifts vary greatly from season to season.
Very regimented on exactly what to say to customers when they enter, during the middle of their "visiting journey", and at the end when they are leaving or when making a purchase.
There is very little room for personality or creativity, but dress code is nice and informal.
Not crazy busy, and usually there are lots of staff there so not much to do except really focus on customers and every single need they might ever have.
Longer you work there the better you will understand inventory and how the large company works, and then eventually if the manager trusts you and likes you enough you will get more regular hours, but not always.
Many student workers, prepare for mainly night shifts and weekends
small, boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  woodbine mall24 October 2018
boring environment. only 2 staff members per shift. slow pace. clocked in for 3 hours. longest shift was 5 hours with and 15 minute break. sometimes fun
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK17 October 2018
fun place to work, enjoy the people, flexable hours, great employee discounts, great training learning about the shoes and styles, a great place to learn planograms and displays.
Fine
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 October 2018
It's a minimum wage job so its not amazing by any stretch, and whether its enjoyable or not is completely dependent on each stores manager/assistant manager and who you work with. I had a great time working there sometimes but a lot of corporate interaction is kind of bs and the regional manager was scary. Basically like any other retail job. really chill dress code and it doesn't get as busy as other retail stores generally.
Pros
fair pay, easy
Cons
schedules only given one week in advance rather than two or four like some other retail jobs
travail en equipe
Recruteuse - Assistante leader (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 September 2018
trail en equipe , agreable environement, excellence au niveau du service a la clientele
Pros
travail en equipe
Cons
pauses courtes
workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 September 2018
payless shoe company was a great place to work, flexible hours it was a fun place to work great co-workers the management was good. great customers .
Pros
good hours
Cons
short brakes
Not only will you pay less, you'll be paid less.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 September 2018
I took this job because I was told I was guaranteed 15 hours a week (I'm a student). This happened for about 2 weeks and because of this I was encouraged to quit my second job. The moment I did that I was dropped down to 5 hours a week with great performance reviews yet no explanation for this. I was also given a really hard time about taking my exam dates off. You usually have 5 hours shifts with no break (just under the legal requirements for breaks so they can get away with it) but as you are expected to never stop moving, this was very physically demanding. I would not recommend this company.
City Center Location is Garbage
Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2018
Terrible city Center mall location
Boss is extremely condescending
Being asked to do something and then getting in trouble for helping customers when your not doing your task fast enough
If you don’t pick up shifts, you get punished and your hours will get cut
Pros
Cheap shoes
Cons
Manager
Productive fun workplace
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2018
Worked with a great team
Learning company policy and procedures was fun
Management could have more dedicated towards associates
I learned to work at a very fast pace
Pros
Great team
Cons
Short lunches
Amazing
Excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON14 September 2018
Everything about Payless has been an amazing opportunity and I would recommend this job to anyone looking for a good retail job. The community around payless is amazing as well
Good first job to gain experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 September 2018
Cleaning and organizing the store. Helping people find shoes, gaining people skills. Management was great. The most enjoyable was working with friends this made the day go by fast. It was in a smaller mall so the volume of costumers was low so it would be quiet.
Pros
the expected tasks were easy
Cons
You are in a mall all day so you tend to feel lethargic
Team is amazing
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
The team itself gives a comfortable environment to work in and many of the customers do make your work more interesting because they give you that positive vibe to work and give services. The salary however lacks as compared to the amount of work you do, it is very less. The management team is great and understanding which makes you want to work for this company but sometimes they have to be a little strict when it comes to the sales of the stores which can be a positive intuitive.
horrible
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 September 2018
I have never worked in such a dramatic work setting. Management is a joke and all they do is talk about the other staff and then complains that there is drama. The other staff is perfectly fine and super friendly. I will never ever recommend to anyone that they work here.
Overall Good Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 September 2018
Payless is a good place to work for a part-time job. You'll learn job skills like selling, time management, working in a team, etc. The management is usually nice and allows for a positive environment to work in.
Part time student job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON3 September 2018
I was able to work this job while going to college. The staff was great and I was able to work around my school schedule super easily. I felt part of a team right away.
great company, great experience
Assistant Manager/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
I was so happy working with payless, the work load was too high but in general we had very good team. i love the styles and fashion in payless. we provided great service to them.
Part time retail job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 August 2018
-Tasks are easy to complete
-Environment is welcoming
-Your average retail job
-You learn a lot about different types of shoes, brands, socks, shoe care
Good associates, bad instructions from on high
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB22 August 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with, but the tasks giving to the us were poorly thought out and not given with enough time to properly complete them. That happened consistently. Also every store location was supposed to follow the guidelines of one location in Ontario despite different physical size and associate amount.
Pros
(Mostly) Flexible scheduling
Cons
Tasking with not enough time given, changes to promos given at the last minute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K