Patene Building Supplies Ltd. Employee Reviews

Bad place to work!
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 October 2018
Very bad business to work for because every day customers dont matter to patene they only care about contractors. They play games with their own contractors about pricing and delivery. I had to lie so many times to customers about pricing and why they pay so much and others dont. I felt pressured every day to lie about time frames to customers knowing that the trucks and drivers were not capable of doing their deliveries. Male dominated branch with little to no female influence. If you are a woman you will not fit in.
Pros
Come and go as u please.
Cons
Branch management.
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We work very hard to ensure our customers are treated fairly and serviced efficiently. We promote a safe and equitable workplace for all.

Stressful
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 October 2018
Very stressful atmosphere because they never ever have what customers are looking for so you are yelled at a lot by customers. Delivery service extremely lacks compared to its competitors because of sub par equipment and sub par drivers. I cant count how many times they had to try and repair customers driveways because of damage on delivery.
Most days are negative stemming from the manager down. If you're a positive, happy go lucky person this place is not for you.
During winter hours everyone stands around doing nothing and most employees are sent home by 10am.
Do yourself a favour and pass on Patene.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Where do I begin?
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We work hard to ensure all of our customers are treated fairly and serviced efficiently. We promote a safe and friendly workplace.

Dont waste license
Driver boomer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 October 2018
Trucks not safe to operate. Boss will make you drive anyways. Trucks wont pass MTO inspection so dont get caught! Dont lose your license for them. If you refuse to drive unsafe truck they just scream at u and tell u to quit.
Pros
Cons
Poor equipment
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you feel this way. All Patene Building Supplies vehicles are maintained regularly and kept in road worthy and safe condition. We will continue to encourage our employees to be part of the solution to a safe workplace. Through regular Health and Safety meetings we all work together to get better.

Productive Work Place
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 September 2018
the day is always productive to the point that all projects are completed on time. Costumers are usually satisfied with company. Good reviews from clients
Terrible atmosphere, bad quality sales with people who know NOTHING about building supplies!
Helper (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 September 2018
Laughable at best. No product is ever available. Manager and his asst. are Home Depot rejects. Warehouse will purposely short change you when you pick up product so watch out. Lots of drugs go around this place.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Being a Patene employee.
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you feel this way and have chosen to use such disparaging language to express your experience. Patene Building Supplies has been providing excellent products and delivery services across the Province for many years. As a team of professional Product Distribution Specialists we work hard to ensure all of our customers are treated fairly. Patene Building Supplies has a zero tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol in the workplace.

workplace
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 April 2018
I would come in the office and say hello to everyone. I would ask whats new today and if the show room needs to be organized. I really enjoyed the environment in the workplace, everyone was kind and it was fairly busy because of the spring season.
Pros
free tim hortons
Cons
office jobs isn't for me
29 October 2018

Thank you for your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed working at the Barrie Branch. We are dedicated to a fair and equitable workplace. We are happy that we were able to provide a good experience.

Branch Manager

Winter work is horrible. Drivers takeover forklift operators jobs
Forklift Operator/ driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON17 April 2018
Warehouse manager does take his position seriously. Walks around with pants hanging himself like a gang banger. Has zero respect for professionalism. Not a place where they allow you to think freely. If you don't fit in you will not last long here. Zero room to move up in the company. Poor inviorment to work in. Filthy place to work.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Lack of work in the winter
16 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to "voice" your opinion. Patene operates 2 locations in Milton. We're not sure which one you are referring to. However, as a long standing family owned and operated business we make the effort to provide a professional and challenging work environment. We have a number of long term employees who have successfully learned and earned their way up!

Ian Morrison
Metro West

horrible place to work.
Labourer/Swamper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2018
trucks not maintained. the hard hats given out were horrible. the trucks dont have winter tires. no way of moving up in the company. employees are under paid.
days at work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 January 2018
Days at work are spent waiting for prices you'll never see. If you don't fit in you won't. Responding to customers needs without information you are to find on your own that doesn't match with the companies polices . Difficult to quote jobs with out proper support from a team of one.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Leed blind into a killing feild
Great People to Work With
Supervisor, Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 November 2017
The environment is wonderful. Advancement is a bit tricky because it is a family owned business and there are lots of family members that are involved with the company.
Pros
great people, lovely showroom
Cons
low pay
busy building supply company
Driver/Operator & Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 August 2017
- wages not great
- employees not appreciated
- no pension
- no perks
- ok benefits
- employees with seniority not appreciated
- free coffee
- long lunch breaks
Great place to work, good grouo of guys
Driver/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 May 2017
I would recommend this place to work. Good management and safe environment. Learn a lot and build experience. Good environment for employees and customers.
A great working experience
Driver/Helper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2017
A very great opportunity to understand the basics of organizing deliveries in order to ensure the products are where they need to be, when they need to be there. The aspect of independence while on the road was a great experience.
Unproductive and toxic management
Driver \ 0-8 Ton Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 August 2016
No job security and management will not stand behind their workers. vehicles are older and require severe maintenance. Customer service is their specialty though.
Pros
irregular employee lunches
Cons
Poorly maintained equipment
Great work life balance, great people, great culture.
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 December 2015
Family business, people work there all have been with the company for many years. Very low turn over rate. However, there is limited growth opportunity. The owner of the company will celebrate birthday for every employee! and the owner even take all employees to watch blue jays game in VIP box!
Very fun place to work
Forklift Operator / Driver / Helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 July 2013
Flexible..competitive wages...excellent co-workers..
Pros
flexible
Cons
easy going place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON6 July 2013
overall good job . lacks management and organization . but good people to work for as far as needing time off/ and being able to leave for family issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patene Building Supplies Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.

Patene Building Supplies Ltd. Reviews by Location