Party City Corporation

Party City Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada384 reviews
Management is friendly and supportive in store. Never had much contact with head office or management above the store manager, but from what I've seen they put some pressure on our in store managers. Great people to work with, shifts can be fun depending on the day. Great first job for youth looking to earn some money with school. I feel comfortable and confident when I go in to work
Pros
Work environment, simple, friendly staff
Cons
Pay, often short staffed, can be stressful
this has got to be the most miserable place I have ever worked as a supervisor I was worked like a dog while the general manager was horribly lazy. below is some examples of the things that suck

- forced to clock out and then continue working

- forced to stay at the store 3-4 hours unpaid to clean

- forced to do the job of at least 5 people

- constantly being thrown under the bus by the general manager

- they say they believe in promoting from within but the general manager was an outside hire when there are suitable candidates that worked at this location

- the new supervisor was an outside hire when there is at least 4 suitable candidates already on the team

- only 1 cashier per shift so I have to be on cash all day when that is not my job

- absolutely ZERO communication between management

- general manager does not follow or enforce covid protocols

- general manager blames all of her mistakes on her team

- when the store was closed I was working 8 hours a day 7 days a week to fix all the problems in the store

- many people work 6-7 hour shifts and are not given breaks because they don't have proper staffing

overall horrible management and absolutely disgusting treatment of staff DO NOT WORK HERE
Pros
nothing, used to be fun before they brought in the new manager
Cons
horrible management, no chance for promotion, forced to work unpaid
They expect too much for too few people & too little time. Pay was not goodas well, Making 25 cents more than people you’re supervising. Only good part was the gm. Once she was gone, so was I... & mostly everyone else
Typical day: balloon orders, balloon walk-ins, finding stuff for customers, sweeping, merchandising, recovering the store from customer traffic.

What I learned: how to manage a team, customer service, preparatory for higher retail positions.

Workplace culture: fun, nerdy, hilarious, good times, family, hard working, no drama.

Hardest part of job, bad hires who are painful to work with.

Enjoyable parts: merchandising, making balloons bouquets, the learning, making customers happy.
Pros
Lots to learn, prepares for future retail management positions, fun environment, employee discount, benefits for full-time status workers, customers are happy 99.999% of time because they're looking forward to a party, 0.001% they are buying stuff for a funeral.
Cons
Balloon orders can be brutal (50 latex before 30 minutes opening for example), untrained and lazy hires can be a pain to work with if you're a perfectionist, can be too fast-paced sometimes.
Because it was a part time job and seasonal, i would go in and sign in and out at the end of my shifts. I learned about good communication with customers and co workers. I never really seen management, they helped out at front counter mostly. The workplace culture was relaxed and wasn't so much stressful. There were no hard parts to this job because i enjoyed being interactive with all the clients. The most enjoyable part of my job was also being a store front greeter in a costume to make sure the customers with children even enjoyed being in the store and choosing the best costume for Halloween.
I enjoyed my time working here, although busy times were very scattered. If it wasn’t busy season, only a few workers would be on the floor at a time, which was just a lot of work to be thrown on your shoulders from day one
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Immature management
The work place is full of catty coworkers. Upper management does nothing to fix conflict within the store. Assistant manager was regularly verbally abusive to coworkers. You were expected to know how to do something without proper training. There was an inadequate amount of staffing day to day, making handling store duties and customers difficult, resulting in being given heck for not cleaning enough.
- Enthusiasm for party planning is a must
- Spurts of foot traffic requires attentive customer service

- Team work at front desk is essential for customer satisfaction
The job atmosphere was fast-paced during the on-season and more slow during the off-season. I learned how to effectively communicate well, some organization, and prioritization of work while having wonderful people working there. Halloween season was majority of the time the most busiest time of the year, otherwise it was quite calm.
Pros
Good people to work there, and casual work attire
Cons
Long hours during halloween, decent break-room
This place hires only one time a year at Halloween and they will hire around 15 people but only keep 2-3 after Halloween is over so don’t expect long term job security as u will have about a month and a half there tops. And don’t expect to get one of the 2-3 jobs after wards bc they always go to the people that have been doing the seasonal Halloween thing for a few years and not the newbies
you receive lots of hours to the build up of Halloween to about a month after, it's busy and there is lots to do. After Halloween you barely get any hours a week until the build up to Halloween again. Seems they have too many employees, not enough hours to allot.
was a very good place to learn multiple jobs like retail and stock as well as using my voice more than before
pretty enjoyable

the customers and workers were friendly
I tremendously enjoyed working for this company. they take care of their staff members and they make sure that you understand what is happening in the store. The store manager is an amazing person to work with. Party City in South Common
this job really brings up your mood very colourful and vibrant you are sure to be in a good mood when you work there. it is very repetitive work and it does get relatively busy on holidays but an overall decent job to start with
They take advantage of there employees forcing them to do difficult tasks with no chance of promotion. They do not tolerate students and will not help compensate for your school workload.
Overall it was a great place to work at, I got to improve my skills and gain more experience. the staff was very welcoming and helpful. it was a good place to work as a student.
One of the best store I worked for. Always had something to do and stayed busy. Fun place cheerful and friendly. Loved walking into work knowing that I was going to have fun and have something to do. Kept my mind busy and had lots of stuff to do.
The mangers were unpredictable. Some days they would be very nice and others they would be rude. The customers were also rude and had no respect for the store's merchandise as they would simply throw things on the floor. The job was also very stressful at times as you were expected to serve multiple customers at once which resulted in customers getting frustrated.
Corporate can be a pain, but the people in store were fairly reasonable and easy to work with. Seasonal will be a very different ballgame, but that's the nature of the business here.
A very fun and positive work environment , co-workers and managment are extremely helpful , they make you feel like you belong and feel appreciated . Interacting with the public was extremely rewarding .
Pros
Very positive work environment
Cons
Only seasonal
Fast paced environment.
Most positions are hired for seasonal.

Long shifts

Not much interaction unless you’re on cash.

Not enjoyable if you’re not interested in working with people consistently.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Party City Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.1K