Parrish & Heimbecker, Limited Employee Reviews

Great!
Crop Nutrients Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manitoba21 January 2019
Recommended.
Enjoyed working for this company. Staff and management were kind and considerate. Started with them as a summer student and they have kept me throughout my final school year and were very adaptable.
Varies significantly from site to site I'd imagine.
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, AB21 December 2018
-'lifer' staff are catty to an extent as I have never seen in any of my many year of work, quite frankly I have to compare it to the attitudes of high School girls on television. Which was even more shocking given their demographic.
- wages are acceptable, though notably below industry average.
-Benefits are fairly standard to other similar companies, they don't leave you wanting nor jumping with joy.
-facility is old and significantly outdated, which leads to many unnecessary risks and complications.
-facility is horrendously overrun by pests, its mouse problem significantly outweighs that of any facility I've ever seen including, wooden elevators, feed mills, pulp mills or feedlots. It's genuinely unsettling that they handle human grade foods.
-Paid days off and generally easy to take a good summer vacation.
-If you don't receive an agreement in writing they will renage on it, do not trust a handshake, any deal from high up head office management to supervisors will require a signature or you'll get jerked around.
Pros
Good benefits and time off.
Cons
More than a few.
Great company culture
Payroll & Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2018
For the most part my experience with P&H was wonderful. I loved the people I worked with. The owners made me feel like a valued employee and that my contribution to the company was important.

The reason I ended up leaving was because, in my department, there was little room for advancement, and I was not content to stay where I was indefinitely.
Pros
Corporate gym membership, flexible hours, RRSP matching program
Cons
Little room for advancement
Terrible place to work if you have a family
Mixer Operator, warehouse lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge mill28 September 2018
Terrible management from shift supervisors all the way up to top management. Don't care about work-home life balance. Expect everyone to work 6 days a week. If your sick then they make you work Sundays also. I was actually told after missing my son's soccer game "your son will hate you anyways" by the plant manager. Too much favoritism. Had to leave after 10 terrible years. The employees are great and friendly and pay is top notch. With new management would be awesome place to work.
Pros
Pay pension other production employees, never get laid off.
Cons
All of the management egos and politics, Talking down to employees, Work hours. Having to work every weekend. Blatent favoritism
Great site
Grain Inspector/Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2018
This site is very helpful when it comes to finding work in your area, it helped me build a resume and narrow down my options of work in my surrounding area
Great workplace
Facility Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tisdale, SK29 November 2017
Great company, great workplace. Friendly workers. Good benefits and working hours is rotation 2 days on and 2 days off. Busy company and free courses.
Small staff, but great people.
Junior Programmer (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
Most enjoyable part of the day was being able to use there indoor gym facilities and being able to have breaks and go for walks.
Great people and great work environment.
Great place to work!
Accounts Payable Clerk - Retired (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2017
Processing payables on computer
Always learning about the agriculture business
Good & fair management
Repetitive computer work
Good people to work with
Pros
Treat employees very well
Cons
No cons
employees are fun to work with
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 May 2017
The environment is scary since employees are constantly afraid of being laid off. Company policy is not to provide references to laid off employees. Company tries to develop a team work environment but only certain employees are encouraged to get involved. Showing an interest in developing more knowledge in areas other than the one you are working in is discouraged by some managers ( these managers will tell you that you are not allowed to ask certain questions since it is beyond your job description).
Not a fun place to work...too much work and no tools to help
Assistant miller (Current Employee) –  Quebec22 March 2017
I want to tried a new life in the USA i cant no longer stay in cold weather. So i am actually looking for work transition in a place where climat help you focus on your job with no stress.
Pros
Healtcare
Cons
Flexible schedule
Summary
office administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Moosomin, SK12 January 2016
Co-workers are friendly, kind, willing to help.
Manager is kind, understanding, professional, willing to teach.
Most enjoyable part was the atmosphere, you felt safe and happy to be there. You're well taken care of at Parrish & Heimbecker.
Pros
Free Lunches, Kind people, positive atmosphere
Direction
Senior Agronomist (Former Employee) –  Weyburn Sk20 October 2015
The job was enjoyable as I was able to cooperate with the grain merchants and we were able to drive sales for both sides of the business and we accomplished farm call together. The hardest part was the staff and the mentality that they should wait for customers to come to them and they are only comfortable dealing with the customers that they know and that they do not go looking for new clients and they are intimidated by those that do.
Pros
Flexibility of working with any product
Cons
Set in old way of doing things and adverse to change
Family like enviroment
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bassano, AB13 May 2015
I adored working for Parrish and Heimbecker Ltd. I was able to foster a lot of great relationships with my customers and co workers.
it was ok
labourer (Former Employee) –  hensall on30 April 2015
working at parrish and hemibecker was good at the start but for the last coupple months i worked there they had me working oen day a week
Pros
good to work with other people
Cons
not enuff hours
Overall a fast-paced environment that was quiet and easy to work in.
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 March 2015
Work started at 8:30 and ended at 4:30, we were allowed an hour lunch break. Working here taught me a lot of things that I didn't know how to do before. Working in the accounts payable division can teach you a lot of responsibility as well as other things such as; time management, computer skills, knowledge on invoices and other things. Now my tasks in this position were not limited to only doing accounts payable duties, I would also do filing for myself as well as the other employees in the office, I would order supplies, sort through incoming and outgoing mail to make sure they are processed correctly, I would do bank deposits and petty cash. I was also responsible for our yield program data entry as well as freight tracking. The management team at the office was very kind and they were willing to help when needed. We were down a few people while I was working there and so everyone came together as a team and we were able to maintain status quo while we were searching for people to fill the empty positions. The hardest part of the job was not anything really specific but at one point I was taking care of the payables for Lethbridge and Saskatoon and that was somewhat stressful, now having said that everything was always done on time. Another hard thing was learning something that I had no experience with and figuring out how to do the process for month end properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably the satisfaction of knowing that in some way I was helping someone and almost always. Overall it was a great experience and I was sad when it ended.
Pros
Snacks on Fridays
Cons
Not having a full staff
Challenging environment to work in.
Manager, IT VAX/VMS (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge AB24 January 2014
Solve programming issues.
Manage department employees.
Given full control of the IT Department.
Train new employees on use of accounting system.
Good place to work and enjoyable staff to work with.
Agronomist (Former Employee) –  Wilson Siding, AB8 July 2013
Depending on the day, I would either go out into the field and check crops for weeds, insects, disease and overall crop health... or I would help load train cars, by sealing hopper bottoms/gates and ensuring no grain was leaking out.
I learned more about the grain industry (export) and increased my knowledge in crop scouting activities.
Management was good, easy to talk to and very understanding, good leadership abilities.
Got along well with all my co-workers and enjoyed working in a team environment.
Most challenging part was having to use personal credit for company expenses.
Most satisfying part of the job; definitely Field Work.

Busy day, never get bored
Elevator summer student (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK9 January 2013
A typical day would be delivering chemical and working in the elevator. I learned how to grade grain and to field scout. management was alright, the coworkers were awesome. hardest part of the job was shoveling grain and inhaling grain dust. enjoyable part was the customers coming in.
Pros
never gets boring
Cons
the grain dust, heavy lifting.