Parole Board of Canada

Parole Board of Canada Employee Reviews

Very bureaucratic
Junior Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2019
Most days are incredibly slow, with a few very chaotic days mixed in. Management is unorganized and the overall mission of the organization is unclear. Advancement is not based on who is actually best for the job, but rather who is next in line.
Great
TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC25 February 2018
Great place to work, really enjoyed the people there. Pay was great as it was government pay. No complaints as the time I was there was very good. Everyone friendly and always something to do. Never got bored.
Good job, but not easy to go from contract to full time and permanent
E-file Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2017
Process sucks as it is better to hire someone from the contract than to make them leave and put a process out for people when you liked the work done by the people on a contract.
Pros
casual atmosphere
Cons
one bad co worker, bullying, no benefits
Office Atmosphere
Corporate Services-Travel Arranger (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon,Sk23 July 2015
I work on a computer, entering in travel requests. I will make phone calls to book hotels and car rentals. I need to search different websites for Government rates to make sure everything is approved. I record confirmation numbers. I deal with Board Members to get their travel requiremnents. I coordinate with the person who makes the calendars to make sure everything matches, dates and times. i am multitasking, due to various emails that will come to me. These emails will show changes to panels, calendars or board Members availablities.
I work closer with my supervisor and manager to make sure everyone gets where they are suppossed to be. One of the hardest parts of this job is to get know everyone preferences, I am doing travel for about 30 people. the other would be that from time to time, changes occur last minute. In that case, I need to make sure extra rooms are booked or cancelled approprately, so we are not being charged for rooms we did not use. This can happen so quickly, especially if you are in the middle of working on someone else travel request.
I enjoy coming to work with the people I work with. I am friendly and positive and I work with other friendly, positive people.
Pros
great hours
Cons
casual work
Productive and fun place to work
Case and subject Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston19 June 2014
I enjoyed working for the Parole Board Canada...it was a busy office , great management team. Supervisors were helpful.
As a part time member the work schedule was irregular.
Parole Board Member Part time (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 March 2014
A typical day involved reading up to 10 files per day and then forming an opinion on whether the offender's risk to reoffend could be managed in the community. If so, day or full parole were granted for 6 months and this would be reviewed.

The position stressed independence of action. Each decision was reviewable by appeals section and we as Board members were held to be highly accountable for our decisions both by the media, victims and the government.

My colleagues were all highly educated and independent thinkers from various backgrounds. It was necessary to have respect for other points of view and opinion.

The job was life changing and dealt with the safety of the community and the offender's freedom. This could be very demanding.

The most satisfaction for me came when I felt I had done a strong analysis and a good interview and then professionally and respectfully gave the decision to the offender.
Pros
well paid, professional colleagues, strong organization and supports
Cons
long hours on occasion, emotionally demanding at times