PARKS CANADA Management reviews

Pay and management issues
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 November 2019
Management made themselves employee of the month (that should tell you everything about the workplace culture). The abuse students that they hire and do not protect them. And of course the pay issues
Productive and a well working environment.
Musician Lead (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON9 October 2019
Parks Canada is a great summer full-time job for students. Co-workers are super nice and great to work with and management is good. It does get really busy sometimes, especially during tours, but there is always stuff to do and the time goes fast.
Great outdoor work
Bilingual Island Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mallorytown Landing, ON12 May 2019
Worked for Parks of the Thousands Islands working on the islands. Amazing job that i will remember for the rest of my life. Management was amazing and they want everyone happy.
Great colleagues, poor management.
Heritage Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB10 May 2019
Although I enjoyed the team of highly enthusiastic colleagues and the learning experience, I always felt under appreciated by management. I was treated like a number and not a person, while others where given special privileges. I felt like I was expected to sacrifice my personal time and to make my job of highest priority. At the same time some staff members were given whatever they asked for. It was blatantly unfair.
Pros
Learning opportunities. Great team.
Cons
Management - poorly managed, blatant favouritism.
Great place to work if you love the outdoors
Student Lock Operator (Former Employee) –  Burleigh Falls, ON8 May 2019
Working for Parks Canada, I am outside every day on the Trent Severn Waterway. This job has been my favourite of them all! I enjoy the people I work with as well as the environment. Management can be a little questionable sometimes, however I don't deal with them directly as a student, it's more so the stories I hear from my coworkers of higher seniority.
Pros
Being outside, friendly work environment
Cons
Long hours working in any weather everyday
Enjoyable Workplace for Those Who Love Our Parks
Visitor Information Attendant (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB18 September 2018
Spend most of your day providing resources and answers to various visitors. Management is amazing and something to look up to! The hardest part of the job is the repetitive questions from vistiors that aren't necessarily listening to you. The most enjoyable part of the job is the amazing team and the ability to learn so much more about the surrounding environment
A great work environment
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE18 September 2018
Everyone is happy and passionate about their job. It's a good way to gain customer service experience. Management is friendly and very reasonable. Excellent benefits for students!
Pros
Friendly, interesting, great benefits for students
Cons
Positions are usually competitive
Good company to work for and great perks
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Churchill, MB4 September 2018
A wide variety of skills, positions, and opportunities for people. With so many National Historic Sites and Parks under the Parks Canada management, you won't have to travel far to find a role you will love.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Pheonix Pay system
good place to work
IT Help Desk Specialist Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2018
it's fun to work at Parks but it very disorganized and not much opportunity to move up. i would not recommend in the future as the the management was not very good to work for
It was a good job
Supervisor and Projects Worker (Former Employee) –  PEI16 May 2018
Most of the staff were friendly. Management was pleasant and responsive. The work was mostly outdoors and enjoyable. The only downside was that permanent positions were in short supply, which meant that many employees lacked job security.
Parcs Canada
eCommunications & Analytics assistant (Current Employee) –  Gatineau27 August 2017
Parcs is a great place to work. Friendly and dedicated colleagues. Management is responsive to suggestions and proactive about making changes for the better.
Great place to work if you love being outside and being social
Rideau Canal Lock Operator (Former Employee) –  Merrickville, ON2 May 2017
great place to have a summer student job. being near the water everyday and talking to all the boaters was a great way to spend the summer and having great management made for a very safe and good workplace
I had a 5 year career, following a 32 year career with Telus.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB28 October 2016
An excellent employer, I enjoyed working there, for my 5 years of service. I could have easily made a 35 year career With Parks Canada.
The management training that was provided was excellent.
Not a bad place to work.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC5 October 2016
Not a bad group to work for, as long as you understand that this is the Federal Government and they have there own culture, it may not make sense but it is there way.

The lower level management is sad, not very skilled people, you can expect to be disappointed, older staff only care about putting in enough time to get a pension.
Rewarding seasonal work
Visitor Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ucluelet, BC12 July 2016
As a Visitor Services Attendant for Parks Canada at Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, one needs to be an effective communicator. A typical day at work involved opening or closing distinct facilities, followed by engaging with hundreds of visitors throughout the day providing them with information, park permits, and genuine interest. Management was great, sometimes it was a little unorganized but nothing abnormal. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unpredictable scenarios or complaints from visitors. I found I engaged and empathized with them effectively and sought to find a solution. The most enjoyable part of the job was the welcoming work culture and the natural environment of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.
Workplace with dedicated employees who believe in the goals and objectives of Parks Canada
Senior Realty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON19 April 2014
Because of recent job and budgetary cuts the morale at Parks Canada was markedly lower at the time I retired; however, the remaining staff were still dedicated to their jobs and worked to make the best of a difficult situation.
The job was challenging to meet the requirement to undertake more and different tasks with fewer resources and the limitations imposed by Parks Canada national management.
I found great satisfaction in protecting the resources (land and water) entrusted to Parks Canada for current and future generations.
Pros
Dedicated co-workers, beautiful waterway and hours sufficiently flexible to meet personal requirements
Cons
With fewer resources and apparent minimization of natural resource concerns, I believe the environmental health and World Heritage status of the canal are in danger.
Great place to learn about the Canadian history
Historical Animator (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON31 January 2014
On a typical day, everyone met up outside and the management team would let us know what is expected for that day, and any events we should be aware of for that day (ex. school trips). I learned a lot about the history of the War of 1812, along with the roles of the solders, their families, and careers in the military at that time. I found the management team to be friendly and courteous, and very nurturing, such as be aware of our needs, and make sure we were happy walking in for our shift, and going home without any issues. The hardest part of my job was knowing all the facts about the history with visitors would stump you with very specific questions about the war Along with that, another hard part would be learning the foot movements doing drill. I really enjoyed how much everyone was involved working here, and how the management team would be just as involved, and brought humour to our day to make it more enjoyable to be there each day.
Pros
free lunches, great group of coworkers
Cons
long hours, weather conditions
General Overview.
Admin (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2012
Although it has been many years since I was employed by Parks Canada, I remember it to be a very demanding position. I was the Clerical/Admin Suppot for approximately 18 individuals who were dedicated to Archaeological studies for the Canadian Parks Service. I was initially placed there with a temp agency on a two year assignment. When the Federal Govt. received approval for a new position it was offered to me by the Chief of Archaeology. His decision was based on the fact that I not only created and developed the position as a temp placement, but the smooth transition to create the new position was excellent.

The position also included the development of the study area/library, typing the Archaeological reports, managing the General and Capital finances and keeping the head of the department abreast of issues as they arose. In addition I would inform the management when it became necessary to either begin tightening out financial belts or to inform them if additional Capital funds would be required to finalize the fiscal year.

I was employed in this position for 20 years and then was offered an early retirement package. At that time I decided to accept the package, and as well accepted a two year secondment to "Gateway North International" which was an Federal Government initiative to sell the Port of Churchill.
Pros
as a whole it was a very positive experience.
Cons
the position was reclassified to an si-02 and i was not qualified as a cr-4.
Poor utilisation of skill set
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Radium Hot Springs, BC13 July 2012
My position at Parks Canada doies not fully utilise my previous experience and skills in leadership and management.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low salary
Absoluting rewarding strongly believed in the mission and purpose statement to protect our parks and cultural hertiage sites for future generations.
Manager Parks Canada Terra Nova National Park (Former Employee) –  Glovertown, NL28 May 2012
My day usually ran from 8 - 4:30 Monday thur to Friday, most of my time was spent in the office, except in the visitor season, usually spent one day a week in the campground and the visitor center visible to our visitors, allowing myself to meet and chat with our users to discuss their issues, concerns and opinions.

I was in a Management position and sat around the table with the Management Team all of whom were male. I thoroughly enjoyed the discussions, opinions and decision making, often times very entertaining and educational.

The hardest part was leaving my position after 19 years, I had worked hard and moved up the ladder but in 2001 a new Superintendent was transferred in, I reported directly to him and we never seemed to see eye to eye on most subjects, in March of 2002 I decided to leave Parks Canada because it was affecting my health and changing the person I was.

The most enjoyable part of the job was during cutbacks in the 1990's we the management team struggled to come up with ways to save money. In the end we decided to allow all staff to help us find the savings, it was a struggle at first but in the end the staff opened their arms and start to embrace the situation and after month or so the savings had been discovered and over 90% of it coming from our frontline staff. Quite an acomplishment one that everyone was quite proud of.
Pros
being involved in the protection and presentation of our national parks and sites
Cons
government red tape.