PARKS CANADA Employee Reviews

A good place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fortress27 November 2019
I gained a lot of experience working at Parks Canada.l got a chance to hone my skills working for different departments such as utilities and archaeology
Beautiful location and a nice group to work with
Park Communicator (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, PE23 November 2019
Working with Parks Canada is one of the best opportunities I was ever given. It has led me to discover a passion for wildlife after working in a beautiful area and I made very good connections with my coworkers.

Everyone is always friendly and it didn't take me long to understand the everyday regime. Even as a simple park communicator, my job had many parts as I got to experience different aspects of my position.

The hardest days were the ones with the most visitors as those days were hot and busy and they were stressful because as some points, visitors would get frustrated from the busyness.

Then again, there were many enjoyable days such as the ones when I walked the trails and answered the customer's question. Those days were peaceful and very relax which I very much loved.
Well supported and taken care of
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC18 November 2019
With lots of resources available to you, it takes no time at all to become effective at your role. There are lots of opportunities to vary your workload, and there are numerous info-sessions to deepen understanding of related topics.
Pay and management issues
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 November 2019
Management made themselves employee of the month (that should tell you everything about the workplace culture). The abuse students that they hire and do not protect them. And of course the pay issues
Good summer job. Would like to go back
Campground Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wasagaming, MB1 November 2019
I spent a summer working up at the Wasagaming campground selling wood and whatnot. Honestly, it was a really good job. Paid well, had some decent cool down time, fair management and whatnot. I loved working up there. I hope to return up there one day.
Wonderful Experience
Visitor Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB18 October 2019
This is a great way to meet and greet the visitors to Banff National Park. Most of them are first time visitors and would ask information about the park. So if you get the opportunity to get the job, do yourself a favour more do your homework in knowing so much more about Banff.
Productive and a well working environment.
Musician Lead (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON9 October 2019
Parks Canada is a great summer full-time job for students. Co-workers are super nice and great to work with and management is good. It does get really busy sometimes, especially during tours, but there is always stuff to do and the time goes fast.
Labour worker
Labour Worker (Former Employee) –  British Columbia7 October 2019
This is the best job to have get paid to camp out there hehe .. working for parks Canada is one of my best jobs I have ever had nice to meet people that come from all over the world to come here
Parks Canada will shake the green off you
Visitor Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tobermory, ON10 September 2019
The opportunities the agency can provide are incredible. The atmosphere and work culture are very conducive to the life skills necessary for society. Expect to learn a lot about a lot of different topics! Be patient and willing to embrace the environment, literally!
Pros
Expect to meet lots of people
Cons
The work / life balance can be tricky, particularly in small communities
Great outdoor work
Bilingual Island Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mallorytown Landing, ON12 May 2019
Worked for Parks of the Thousands Islands working on the islands. Amazing job that i will remember for the rest of my life. Management was amazing and they want everyone happy.
Great colleagues, poor management.
Heritage Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB10 May 2019
Although I enjoyed the team of highly enthusiastic colleagues and the learning experience, I always felt under appreciated by management. I was treated like a number and not a person, while others where given special privileges. I felt like I was expected to sacrifice my personal time and to make my job of highest priority. At the same time some staff members were given whatever they asked for. It was blatantly unfair.
Pros
Learning opportunities. Great team.
Cons
Management - poorly managed, blatant favouritism.
Great place to work if you love the outdoors
Student Lock Operator (Former Employee) –  Burleigh Falls, ON8 May 2019
Working for Parks Canada, I am outside every day on the Trent Severn Waterway. This job has been my favourite of them all! I enjoy the people I work with as well as the environment. Management can be a little questionable sometimes, however I don't deal with them directly as a student, it's more so the stories I hear from my coworkers of higher seniority.
Pros
Being outside, friendly work environment
Cons
Long hours working in any weather everyday
Great for Students
Student (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON18 February 2019
I personally enjoyed working with Parks Canada since the beginning of my opportunity.
The team are passionate, caring and encouraging. The environment is great for those who are looking to grow their skills and advance their career.
But, there is a downside which includes job security. Many students like myself, will find it difficult to attain a permanent position or any certainty of a job after graduation. Contracts are easily attainable and help frequently, but do not make up better chances of getting branched in. But, working hard to get there is worth it.
Pros
Flexible with your schedule
Cons
Hard to get branched in
Great place to work for students and full time workers alike
Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC6 February 2019
Overall a great experience and a very positive work environment. The entire staff is dedicated towards developing positive skill sets that will only help in future careers.
good enough
Administration (Former Employee) –  Pigeon Lake, AB25 January 2019
this was a fun summer job. simple and good pay. good people super chill. just sitting in an office all day. would be busy at times but most of the time its not.
Pros
good pay
Cons
boring
Fun place to work
Lock Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 January 2019
Good team atmosphere, with opportunity to meet new people from all walks of life each day. It is the perfect first job for a student, due to the fact it really emphasizes the importance of working together as well as taking accountable responsibility.
Pros
working outside all day
Cons
long weekends
Fun workplace
Service à la clientèle (customer services) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 December 2018
Fun workplace! you are on a floor with several colleagues answering calls and questions clients might have regarding parks all throughout Canada. Very calm and stressfree environment.
Fun place but not secure
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON11 October 2018
Government work means working on a contract basis. dependent on yearly budget. you can end up being let go at any time. Hard to find job security unless you possess a certain valuable skill.
Pros
great people
Cons
contracts
Loved it!
Vegetation Restoration Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB18 September 2018
Some of the best experiences in my life. Such a great pleasure working as a representative for the natural spaces that make our country so iconic. Would definitely look at finding other work in a national Park
Enjoyable Workplace for Those Who Love Our Parks
Visitor Information Attendant (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB18 September 2018
Spend most of your day providing resources and answers to various visitors. Management is amazing and something to look up to! The hardest part of the job is the repetitive questions from vistiors that aren't necessarily listening to you. The most enjoyable part of the job is the amazing team and the ability to learn so much more about the surrounding environment