Parkland Community Living and Supports Society

Parkland Community Living and Supports Society Employee Reviews

Needs improvement to better serve their consumers
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Alberta20 March 2019
This agency represents itself as one with integrity but operates very politically. Sometimes individuals not well suited to living together still have to for very long periods of time, despite being unhappy and needing change. While there are staff who are very caring and try their very best, they need to be better supported and appreciated to prevent burn out. Front line staff are not well paid, yet management positions are paid very handsomely. This is a "non - profit" agency, that would benefit from having to be transparent with their spending. Funding should be structured to have it best serve the client's that they serve instead of best serving management. It has potential, but has a long way to go.
Pros
Working front line with the people we serve is very rewarding.
Cons
Funding needs to be structured so that the clients served are the highest priorty
A true Servant Leadership organization
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 March 2019
The CEO and most managers had an open door policy. Staff rights are on par with unionized agencies without the union.
This is a company that serves their consumers with dignity, respect and integrity. I am proud and Blessed to have worked there for 15 years.
They encourage and subsidy staff training, development and career growth. Promote internally.
As with most career in this field there are crazy days with the Individuals in service and staff, but the feeling of community and family overshadow that.
Overall great place to work and would still had I not moved to a different country
Pros
Overtime(paid), paid training, great insurance, including health, dental, optical and life, staff discount card, increasing paid days off with years of service true to their Mission statment
Cons
Overtime, staffing dps positions can be a challenge, tons of paperwork and documentation not enough dedicated time
Educational Assistant (not working at Parkland) (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 October 2018
Very Helpful & supportive
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 May 2018
It was a Temporary position. I was a great place to work even though it was temporary. Everyone was very helpful in teaching me the way they do things.
Poor workplace
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Inuvik19 January 2018
Very poor management not qualified for management staff are no good to clients a lot of unsafe practices staff don't follow policy do not work there . Client are treated badly
Cons
Great place to work if you want to help others!
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 June 2017
During my tenure at Parkland CLASS, I have been in a few different roles and enjoyed every aspect - getting to know the people we serve and thier needs, working with the frontline staff, supervisors and senior management. There are some long days or demanding moments but overall hard work pays off. Parkland CLASS is a leader in delivering the services required, especially when creativity is needed to help create a unique service or delivery. Everyone - no matter what their position in the agency is approachable and open to hearing suggestions or concerns, for the things I have brought forward over the years I feel I was heard and am pleased by the outcome. Wages are determined through funders, wages are fair. In my opinion, enjoying what you do and looking forward to going to work every day is more important than huge wages and hating your job or being away from your family. If you want to join a great team and make connections and a difference in people's lives...Parkland CLASS is a great place to work!
Pros
Flexibility, great team/family atmosphere
An organization focused on service delivery
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 May 2017
I have very much enjoyed my year and a half at Parkland CLASS. This large organization feels more like a family than a corporation. Senior Management is very approachable and focused on service delivery to the people we care for. I like the informal culture and the flexibility I have seen in problem solving from the management team. Everyone works hard, but the degree of collaboration I see daily is remarkable.
Pros
Flexible hours and casual dress standard
Cons
can not compete salary-wise wise the for profit marketplace, but compensation is fair.
Supervisor at Parkland class
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 March 2016
Most of the supervisors of the homes can be helpful. Upper management stuck in their offices are completely clueless . This isnt a great morale place to work. Turn over of employees is huge and that is likely due to upper management not really giving two hoots about the supervisors and what they expect of them. They list their rate of pay as high, but by the time you are expected to pay into rrsp, and other benefits, you are not really getting that rate of pay.

Difficult to get any holidays are you are expected to find your own relief. You are also expected to find staff for your group home, they dont show up.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Noble cause Poorly managed
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 June 2015
Senior Management does not have a clear vision or direction and work from a position of ignorance. They are more often to manage by knee jerk reaction than thoughtful proactive implementation. They are arrogant in their ignorance and often send conflicting messages concerning their desired input from management and staff.
The staff is largely female and most are extremely talented and proficient in their jobs, though many do not have a clear and precise job description.
The hardest part of the job is knowing what is required of the 'management team' as the agency is largely managed by committee. It is extremely difficult to satisfy upper management as they don't really know what they are looking for till they see it. It requires a lot of hit and miss presentation. Even then what is requested is vague and not well defined.
Most enjoyable was working with the staff as they all are very accomplished workers in spite of how the agency is managed.
There is an undercurrent of fearful negativity with in the culture of the administration. Morale is poor due to negative inferences, mixed messages and political stress.
Fast paced environment, no one day is the same, have to wear a lot of different hats.
Residential Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta12 January 2014
This position requires lots of flexibility, as well as the ability to not be bothered by a stack of tasks; you see, when your dealing with people a crisis can pop up at any given time which can take you away from what ever your agenda was for that day. One needs to be able to readjust and prioritize commitments. No one day is ever the same. I have learned so much working in this position about peoples expectations and how that can impacted the out come. It is such a pleasure working with such caring and giving individuals as my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is watching the-persons in care loosing their skills and especially the individuals who have been diagnosed with a progressive condition or a short life expectancy. The most rewarding part of my job is the happiness that most of our folks demonstrate with very simple everyday pleasures. They help remind me of what is important in this life and they help me to stay grounded. It is a very rewarding career.
Pros
flexible hours/ very family orientated company
Cons
no over time - receive time off in Lou but it is hard to collect banked time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Parkland Community Living and Supports Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Parkland Community Living and Supports Society Reviews by Location