Paramount Transportation Systems Employee Reviews

Just started and loving it so much
Operations (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CA24 April 2019
Just started almost a month ago and loving it so much! What a wonderful bunch of people to work with. Everyone is so kind. The first week was a bit overwhelming but managers have been so helpful in teaching me everything I need to succeed. I think I'll be here a long time. I love when you've got enough work to make the days go by so quickly.
Pros
having my own desk, paid vacation days, healthcare
Good Company, Good Friends, Good Bosses.
Audits (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CA5 February 2019
I've never actually worked at a company that celebrates you every single year you've been apart of the company and appreciates you enough to learn what your favorite places to eat or shop at are & gives you gifts to celebrate you. It's really nice to work for a company like this and I truly hope to be apart of them for many years to come. Overtime a lot of my coworkers have become like family to me and I can honestly say, this has been the best job I've ever had. Really hope to be here for a long time. I think most of the negative reviews are from people who have either been fired or knew their time was coming to an end at the company and quit because I have nothing but positive experiences and can honestly say if you have an issue - you can always talk to HR about it and it will be handled.
Pros
paid vacation/sick days, healthcare, lunch parties, 401 K and fun people to work with.
Great place to start or end a career
Group Director (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CA26 January 2019
Busy environment, juggle projects, client needs, customer's services and timelines. Have to be willing to wear multiple hats in management. The owners are loyal to their staff and balanced in their approach to staff and the health of the company. Hardest part is feeling like I'm never caught up, best part is I'm never caught up and the days go by quick.
Pros
Benefits including annual bonus.
Cons
Can get stressful.
I was let go, and I’d still recommend them
Accounting (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA15 January 2019
So I got let go, and it was my own fault... I knew I was slacking off and shouldn’t have been... I regret not putting a hundred percent in because it really was a great job with good benefits and nice people. Yes, it was hard work and sometimes stressful but overall it is was a really good job and while job searching now and after going on a few interviews, I realize I should have tried harder to stick around cause everywhere I’ve applied doesn’t care about their employees half as much as paramount cared.
It’s true what they say, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side :(
Pros
Nice people, 401k, lunch parties, paid sick days and paid vacation time that rolls over.
Was a great place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA10 January 2019
The way the CEO & CFO take care of the workers here is truly awesome. I learned a lot at Paramount and had an amazing experience.

Made some great friends!

The reason I left was just to go to another job that I thought better fit my life but I would recommend cause it was a fun place to work with truly great people!
Pros
Great people to work with, lunch parties, amazing end of the year holiday party, gifts on anniversaries
Cons
Quiet environment
Great Place To Work!
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CA4 January 2019
We have company paid lunch parties, end of the year parties, we always get a paid day off for your birthday if it falls on the regular work day.You get yearly anniversary gifts, which is pretty great. What company does that? They actually take the time to figure out what you like and get you gift cards to your favorite places.

Perks - Heath-care / 401 K / paid 2 weeks off that roll over into the next year if not taken / sick days. It's your typical job - working isn't fun but you gotta do it to pay the bills. I'm not sure on the negative reviews because it's a nice place to work with wonderful people.

Sure - I wish I was rich and didn't have to work ever - but since I have to work to pay my bills, I'm glad I chose this place. It can be quiet a lot of the day, but you are allowed to wear headphones while working. It's a very laid back environment with people that end up becoming like family to you.
Pros
401 K, 2 weeks paid vacations, paid sick days, health-care, free lunch parties, life insurance, end of the year parties, end of the year bonuses, and gifts on your yearly anniversaries.
Cons
having to work in general is always a con but I wasn't born a millionaire
It’s a madhouse!
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA26 December 2018
Worked in the IT department and can say it’s one of the zaniest jobs I’ve ever had. Good for someone who has little to no experience but once you’re there 2-3 years get out and find a job that values your time. IT department has huge turnover and multiple employees have left to find better jobs. But they always blame the employee who left. The IT department has had only one constant all this time and that’s management but they don’t seem to put 2 and 2 together.

-Happy to take you on with little experience but they will perpetually pay you as such. The market would dictate that after 2-3 years of experience your pay would be close to someone with a degree or former IT experience but they will never pay you market value and will constantly underpay. Not by a few cents but literally after doing research I found I was being underpaid by about 10k a year. That adds up.

-Reviews are just whenever they feel like it. There is no set schedule for when you’ll get a review so it just happens whenever upper management has time. This usually means you don’t get yearly reviews rather every other year.

-Reviews are entirely based on how well you play nice with the owners and their family members. You’re not graded on work performance –or if you are it’s on projects that they assigned to you specifically so you’re overall work load is ignored.

-Tons of upper management family members work there. Most of them were cool but several take advantage of their position. Most of us asked “what do these people do all day?” Because it sure looked like nothing.

-If you ever make a
  more... mistake or mess something up you’re put in perpetual time out. Instead of learning from your mistake, correcting the action, and moving on you’ll just have access stripped away.

-Good/progressive ideas are shot down because of egos and pride. Many solutions were denied because of personal issues that management had with the idea giver or with solutions in their idea.

-IT department is backwards and out of date. You’ll be instructed to install old software, use tapes for backups, our use outdated IT principals in your day to day work. Did I say tapes for backups? Yep, every IT director I spoke to outside of paramount scoffed at the very notion of using tapes for backups as everything is cloud based now. Want to learn how to code? No problem, but they’ll teach you on a dead coding language that no one uses anymore.

-Upper management thinks it’s a paradise working there and takes a “how dare you” attitude if you start looking for other opportunities or want to better yourself. Was literally told by a manager “you’ll never find any place better to work” which was the final straw in my book. That’s what really prompted me to start looking for a better job and sure enough I found one.

-It’s double standards upon double standards upon double standards. Had managers that were all equal in authority on paper but because upper management didn’t like something about a few of them they would intentionally have IT restrict their access. My question would be why are they managers then? Or why aren’t they being talked to so the issue is resolved? –It’s all political there

-They hand hold their users like no other. Standard users are not allowed to do anything IT related. It was ridiculous; they weren’t even allowed to change the paper in the printers so every day you had to walk around the building to about 20 or so printers and refill all the paper. Really? You don’t even trust regular users to fill paper in a printer? –silly

-You’ll be responsible for lots of non IT duties. It’ll be your job to clean sections of the warehouse, clean a cubicle when an employee starts (and I mean detail these things like dust, vacuum, wipe down, pick staples out of the carpet, etc –shouldn’t there be an cleaning crew for that?), make labels for people’s mailboxes, clean out someone’s desk when they quit, etc. I’m not an IT snob; I don’t have a problem doing non IT things once and a while but the problem was they were considered your job duties and if you did not do them to their satisfaction you were reprimanded.

-No accounting for work load/balance. Management would pile project after project on you and somehow expect you to finish them all at the same time. They never account for your day to day work. Constantly having to shift gears on projects so the time you can delegate for something is really broken down.

-Not allowed to have a life outside of work. Management would regularly volunteer you to come in on a Saturday and work. They also rolled out a night shift with no consent to IT staff and we were just expected to volunteer for it. Wasn’t listed in my original job description or offer letter so not sure how they got away with that.

-No overtime. You’re paid an hourly salary. So if you work 10 hours a day they’ll factor that as part of your salary and you’ll be paid a regular hour rate for any hours over 8.

- IT Upper management was impossible to get a hold of via email. They’d send you an email and if you replied back with a question you wouldn’t hear from them. Or if you did they’d tell you to go over to their office and talk to them. Not sure why they even had an email if all they did was forward stuff.

-IT upper management was little more than a train switchyard. Stuff would come to them and they would just forward it off to someone else but at the same time insist that everything went through them. Again, why? If you’re going to just forward it to the next guy why bother having the entire company send all IT stuff to you.

-No delegation in IT management. It’s micro management to the finest degree. They insist on having their hand in everything but have no idea what’s going on so it slows you down. They’re afraid to relinquish any control for fear of them looking like they’re not needed.

-Upper management will take their friends side over an IT issue any day of the week. You can present logical reasons not to do something but if they’re friends with the owners they’ll get their way 100% of the time.

-We had policies in place but it was pick and choose when they were enforced. Basically if someone made a big enough fuss and were close enough with the owners they could bypass any IT rules/policies we had in place.

-No ticketing system in IT to track issues. Most IT departments function via user submitted tickets. Complete opposite here. You had to log user related issues, create a ticket for them, and record all steps you took to fix the issue. This was often pointless as many a time IT management didn’t understand what you did so they would come sit at your desk and force you to show them what you did. Why make us log every detailed step we did to resolve something if you’re just going to make me show you how I did it anyway?

-Upper management would send you minor changes to something all the time but they had no realistic idea of how time consuming it was to fulfill every petty request they had. Got a monthly request to change something in outlook for the company but they had no idea how long it took me to log into everyone’s computer and update things.

-No investment in software to make your IT life easier. Why bother investing in an asset tracking software to manage your IT stock when you can use excel sheets that don’t get updated and are inaccurate after a month? Why bother in software to centrally manage email signatures when you can have IT log into 400+ people’s computers and update their signature manually every month?

-Suggesting things to make your life easier was interpreted as laziness. Was told by a manager that “I’m sick of everyone in IT trying to take the easy way out” when I suggested something that would reduce our overhead management of a system.

Long story short this is not a place to make a career out of. If you're thinking about working here for some experience do 2-3 years then get out. Place is crumbling from the top down and despite employee after employee leaving they refuse to look at themselves.
Pros
healthcare, 401k (company doesn't contribute), dental, vision, company parties
Cons
low pay, long hours, no OT, stressful, toxic work environment
Stay away
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Foxboro, MA8 October 2018
Management is horrible, likes to scream and yells at you, no training. Very unorganized company , work too many hous per day !!
STAY AWAY From Paramount in Foxboro,
Ma.
Don’t do it
Move Coordinator (Former Employee) –  USA5 June 2018
System is disorganized, company lacks communication, and management is questionable.....
Heed the reviews and steer clear of the company as they are unlike any other.
Fun job, busy environment
Relocation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA21 April 2018
Job was very fast paced. Answered 10-20 calls a day, emailed 40-50 emails a day. Dealt with multiple files at a time, and had to keep current with each one
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Poor management
Nice People
Senior Relocation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL20 February 2018
Great culture, nice people. Lots of hard work. I would recommend this place but the only fallback is they don't promote fast. They are a growing company though.
Cons
Expensive Health Benifits
Stay away
Senior IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA2 March 2017
IT Dept is very unprofessional. No room for advancement, talked down to like a grade school bully would talk to its target, you are given tasks that are not IT related like moving boxes and other warehouse duties. There is no work life balance, I was told that if I wanted to work in IT I would not be able to have a family by an actual manager. This would be a good job for someone desperate to get IT experience but if you have IT experience I'd stay away and find a real IT job.
Pros
paid health insurance by company
Cons
everything else
Loved working there
Move Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA2 November 2015
Great place to work, I learned a lot about customer service and managing accounts, The best part of the job was having a successful move. The most stressful part of the job was managing accounts in bad weather and having no control of the situation.
Not a good place to work
Administrative Assistant/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJ25 April 2015
a typical day at work:
answering emails and communicating with the clients . A few laughs with some coworkers to relieve stress. Some conversation about some TV shows or about our families.
Hardest part of the job is making sure that things go according to plan. Making sure that everyone knows what needs to be done.

Most enjoyable part of the job is when clients and/or agents sends an e-mail thanking me for doing a great job .

some coworkers work and others like to pretend they work
Pros
some flexibilty
Cons
short breaks, no raises, no internal promotion, too many wana be bosses
Employee (Former Employee) –  Houston2 February 2015
The company is does not have a moral ethic to stand on. They are rude and obnoxious to their vendors and the people that help them. They make decisions based on what is good for their ego and think nothing of sticking it to the people and companies that help them. Instead of the supervisors taking responsibility for poor decisions they make they pass it off on the people that have nothing to do with what is going on. If you have a moral compass of your own it will definitely not stay in line once you work there.
Pros
Cons
Everything...mostly egos
Awful place to work. Unprofessional and immature!
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA1 October 2014
Their IT dept. was an awful place to work...Unprofessional and immature! The rest of the employees were quite nice. I was excommunicated without the ability to reach out to the friends that I had made. None of my communications were allowed to go through. The IT staff blocked all my attempts to contact and fellow coworkers.
Discovered my love for marketing here
IT ASSISTANT - PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CA11 March 2013
This job taught me a lot about graphic design and promotional marketing. It shaped my career and since leaving this job, I have continued to consult on projects. Great experience with great co-workers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paramount Transportation Systems. Our community is ready to answer.