ParaMed Home Health Care Employee Reviews

Terrible work environment dont bother
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 March 2019
This was very disorganized all bout money theres no care nor compensation for clients or field staff theyll run you in the ground. Management are disrespectful and use there power to force you to take visits no travel in between .pay isnt worth it a little over minimum wage .They claim they pay travel but really not sure how they do as pay always had discrepancys and when you picked up shifts you always had to fight with them in regards to pay they would give excuses that someone forgot to put it in like really then theyd say will put it on next pay never did .not worth your time nor energy.. .just remember they need you you dont need this company. Do your research before accepting a position with them ...
Pros
Servicing clients
Cons
Waste of time
scheduling
HSW1 (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 February 2019
scheduling department was very poor and lacked understanding. there were times i wouldn't get my schedule until 630 the morning of - which is very frustrating and they did not accommodate with school
Not a great place to work
PSW (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 February 2019
-The coordinators who schedule your clients don't answer your emails or questions unless you visit them in person or you call them.
-Employees get blamed for things that they didn't do.
-Supervisors don't care about your well-being
-Pay is not the best
-Long hours
-Coordination/supervisors don't schedule you a meal break if you work over 5+ hours, which they are legally obligated to do according to the Employee Standards Act
-May have to travel across town for clients
-Lots of wear and tear on your body and vehicle
-Not enough travel time between clients
-Need a doctor's note if you need any accommodations (ie. no visiting people with cats due to an allergy)
-Don't always treat the staff/clients with respect
-Sometimes quite difficult to get a response from a supervisor or manager
-Benefits are good, but you have to maintain a minimum of 390hrs in 3 months to have benefits. If you don't keep up the hours, you will lose your benefits then you have to wait another 3 months before you become eligible again.
Pros
Clients are friendly
Cons
See review**
No commitment or compassion for staff..
psw (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2019
This is a terrible company to work for … they are all about the $ and really disrespectful management... who have grandiose ideas of power. The staff out in the field are like wonderful hard working and for the most part enjoy their job, but the company only sees what it wants to see and that is money.

New management and supervisors aren't equipped to handle work loads and the fault is always on the staff , not a lot of support for any of their staff .. the appreciation is nil. I would not recommend working for this company unless you absolutely have to. I heard staff that have worked for this company for 27 years left without so much as a severance or pension after giving their careers to this company for so long. New management was enough to make the decision that life is too short to put up with the poorly run company.

Maybe things will change? I am retired and so this is not a good thing to hear from my peers, who have families and lack of work life balance.

There are no service awards for long term staff.. that would cost too much,to show how much humans are appreciated and needed to run a company , with out people there would be no company.
Do NOT apply.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON14 February 2019
They will run you into the ground. They dont give too ^($( if you burn out, the availability you have to give is nuts! also, doesn't guarantee hours.. if client cancels they will want you to drive unpaid to the house anyways.. Worst company.
Pros
lovely clients
Cons
long hours, never appreciated, manipulated all the time.
They dont care about their staff
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 February 2019
The supervisors are hard to get a hold of because they are never available.
There is no help when it is needed.
Mostly work alone.
Can go from no hours to too many hours.
Pay is okay but not the best.
There is no compassion for the employees from the Supervisors.
Get blamed for things you didn't do.
Mileage pay is horrible.
If you don't drive, this job is not for you.
Pros
Working with different clients
Cons
Management and Suoervisors, too many hours not enough pay
Total hot mess
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Windsor1 February 2019
Ever since the some of the supervisor changes it’s a total not worth working there. can’t wait to find another job.. I totally recommend not to apply to this job..
it takes a toll on your body and your car.
None productive
Psw (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 January 2019
Paramed is my worst night mare, management sucks,cordinator disrespectful, unprofessional... Management dont care about employees at all and they lie to us... I wouldnt recommend my worst enemy if i have one...
Pros
Some good clients
Cons
Short hours
Should be a better place to work
Assignment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2019
The pay is beyond not enough barley above minimum wage for what you do .They hire family so it’s a lose lose situation. There are two sets of rules. Don’t come in late unless your car mother is your boss.
Turn around is insane for both coordination as well as Supervisors so what does that tell you?
Pros
Most of the people you work with are honest
Cons
Stressed out all the time from management pay is a jokd
Productive and interesting place to work.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2019
Great place to work. Great team. Comfortable office. Excellent management. Onsite parking. Fair salary. Supportive workers. Fair hours of employment.
Pros
Parties and fun events.
Cons
Shift work.
No longer paitent focused , toxic environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON20 January 2019
Unfortunately ParaMed is becoming more like a business and less like the values on their mission statement. Management is more concerned about their own agenda rather than the needs of the Paitents. It really is a toxic work environment.
Pros
Co workers
Productive, educating, flexible time of work, place for ongoing improvement in gaining new professional skills and knowledge in nursing.
RN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2019
learned a lot during my employment with ParaMed Health Care agency. Gained the knowledge and skills during the everyday work. Every day at work is different can be more or less stressful. Learn to handle different situations with confidence and how to prioritize my duties. I learned many nursing skills required at work in home care environment and to perform the nursing treatments independently within the scope of nursing practice. I received a lot of support from the Agency management when I needed .Management provided employees with In services/ training to update and refresh nursing knowledge and skills i many important areas of nursing practice, like wound care, care for venous, arterial and diabetic ulcers and various wound care products and dressings types available to treat and promote healing of wounds. Learned application of VAC therapy to treat and heal wounds and preventive measures to prevent ulcer formations. Learned technique of application specialty compression bandages, like Coban Light, Coban 2 compression bandage systems or Velcro Bandages System applied to treat Lymphodema of legs.
Every year management organized Skills Fair where nursing skills were reviewed and refreshed. I worked in a multicultural environment where workers treat each other with respect and value other cultures values and support each other. Working with colleagues at work as a team and in case of emergency have a reliable one to cover the clients from your workload if you can not.
The hardest part of the job would be to get to the client's place in a harsh winter weather and to cope
  more... with the traffics. You have to give yourself a lots of time on the road to avoid frustration.
The most enjoyable part of the job and great satisfaction was to see the clients health problems improved or completely healed with nursing interventions. and to see smile on their faces and gratitude.
Very busy, all hours available
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 January 2019
Great Company! I was with them a fair amount of time. Great with placing PSW's with patient's. Hardest part of the job was on the go non-stop. Most enjoyable part was my patient's.
Worst of the worst
Visiting Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 January 2019
Management very unapproachable, closed door policy. If you have a problem to get the job done or working need you better try figuring it out on your own because if you approach management, you will be the focus of harrassment instead of focus for support and learning.They work well off gossips, high level of bullying that is covered. Pay is always not accurate. Everything happens in the office is gossiped down to staff. So if you are a candidate of bullying or they are after you, just check with any staff, even the psws and you will know the plans of management, supervisors or coordinators for you. No confidentiality, no professionalism and extremely poor integrity. Low salary, on call salary violates minimum wage standard for the province, $2/hr to be on call is unacceptable and disturbing. Promise of full time or part time job with no hours guaranteed. This is not explained until after you are working. Very limited orientation, the in class is extremely overwhelming with a lot of paperwork that does not prepare you very well for the job. Practical orientation needs improvement. Overall the worst employment experience I have ever had. I would encourage anyone that mean themselves well to avoid this place. Looking forward to leave this place soon. The staff and management turnover rate is very high.
Pros
Cons
They want you to basically own you.
Solid company
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2019
This is a company where the RN can work independently and autonomously within the policys and procedures of the organization. ParaMed is willing to provide time and money for expanding your role as a Nurse. Many of the management staff have worked double digit years at ParaMed, which says a lot about working in a field that can be very stressful and challenging.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Constant change
Horrible Management and Coordinators
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2018
the coordinators and managers that promised me at least 30 hours a week failed on that promise and only gave me 10-15 hours a week- I had quit a full time job at a store because it was related to my career path and I wanted experience as a psw in the community before graduating as a nurse.
Love the clients!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 December 2018
The job itself was great. The pay is not great and although in line with other community competitors still not enough...the community nursing community really needs to band together to increase pay to that of other health care sectors
Paramed's problem is that they do not have to right people in the right positions. I have seen many change of management in many years with company...all come in with same change the world attitude however they are at hostage to Parameds corporate money making attitude. They do not listen to supervisors who are at the front lines advocating for their clients...and fieldstaff. They have persons with no education in management roles attempting to manage registered professionals.
All in all i am ok with my time at Paramed as my clients are what matter...its a shame that i cannot feel pride in the employer
Work is good, management not much
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 December 2018
Great work for all beginners. A good platform to learn different skills. Pay is not really good for the amount of work and hardships that nurses take. Management is a fake and will never appreciate the hardwork of nurses.
Dishonest Company
PSW (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 December 2018
I was employed with ParaMed since 2013. Working with my clients and meeting new people was a positive experience. I enjoyed it very much and was proud of myself to make a difference in people's lives.

Everything was great until I got ill and had a surgery...After my surgery I could no longer work as a PSW, and my employment was unlawfully terminated shortly after.

Despite all of the medical notes from my GP and the surgeons, I was not offered a SUITABLE modified duty work. I was still forced to go to service clients. Management did not care about the fact that I just had a surgery, and was unable to perform my previous tasks as a PSW. They did not care about me not having a valid CPR certificate, or a current Police Check, which is a HUGE violation of the policy.

At some point, District Director reassured me about getting an Assignment Coordinator position, which is a sitting job and is suitable for my post-surgery condition. However, he did not keep his word; moreover, later on, he denied everything we have talked about.

Upper Management is unapproachable; they do not care about their employees' opinion, safety and well-being. They are non-cooperative and act unprofessionally by ignoring employees' concerns.
Pros
Clients, Co-Workers, Good Salary and Benefits, Hands-On Experience
Cons
Upper Management, Local Management, Nepotism, Indifference, Dishonesty
Paramed
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2018
At ParaMed you will enjoy working with your colleagues who are very helpful and site management are always on hand to listen to employee concerns. Very good experience.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ParaMed Home Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.