ParaMed Home Health Care Employee Reviews

Worst of the worst
Visiting Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 January 2019
Management very unapproachable, closed door policy. If you have a problem to get the job done or working need you better try figuring it out on your own because if you approach management, you will be the focus of harrassment instead of focus for support and learning.They work well off gossips, high level of bullying that is covered. Pay is always not accurate. Everything happens in the office is gossiped down to staff. So if you are a candidate of bullying or they are after you, just check with any staff, even the psws and you will know the plans of management, supervisors or coordinators for you. No confidentiality, no professionalism and extremely poor integrity. Low salary, on call salary violates minimum wage standard for the province, $2/hr to be on call is unacceptable and disturbing. Promise of full time or part time job with no hours guaranteed. This is not explained until after you are working. Very limited orientation, the in class is extremely overwhelming with a lot of paperwork that does not prepare you very well for the job. Practical orientation needs improvement. Overall the worst employment experience I have ever had. I would encourage anyone that mean themselves well to avoid this place. Looking forward to leave this place soon. The staff and management turnover rate is very high.
Pros
Cons
They want you to basically own you.
Solid company
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2019
This is a company where the RN can work independently and autonomously within the policys and procedures of the organization. ParaMed is willing to provide time and money for expanding your role as a Nurse. Many of the management staff have worked double digit years at ParaMed, which says a lot about working in a field that can be very stressful and challenging.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Constant change
Horrible Management and Coordinators
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2018
the coordinators and managers that promised me at least 30 hours a week failed on that promise and only gave me 10-15 hours a week- I had quit a full time job at a store because it was related to my career path and I wanted experience as a psw in the community before graduating as a nurse.
Love the clients!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 December 2018
The job itself was great. The pay is not great and although in line with other community competitors still not enough...the community nursing community really needs to band together to increase pay to that of other health care sectors
Paramed's problem is that they do not have to right people in the right positions. I have seen many change of management in many years with company...all come in with same change the world attitude however they are at hostage to Parameds corporate money making attitude. They do not listen to supervisors who are at the front lines advocating for their clients...and fieldstaff. They have persons with no education in management roles attempting to manage registered professionals.
All in all i am ok with my time at Paramed as my clients are what matter...its a shame that i cannot feel pride in the employer
Work is good, management not much
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 December 2018
Great work for all beginners. A good platform to learn different skills. Pay is not really good for the amount of work and hardships that nurses take. Management is a fake and will never appreciate the hardwork of nurses.
Dishonest Company
PSW (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 December 2018
I was employed with ParaMed since 2013. Working with my clients and meeting new people was a positive experience. I enjoyed it very much and was proud of myself to make a difference in people's lives.

Everything was great until I got ill and had a surgery...After my surgery I could no longer work as a PSW, and my employment was unlawfully terminated shortly after.

Despite all of the medical notes from my GP and the surgeons, I was not offered a SUITABLE modified duty work. I was still forced to go to service clients. Management did not care about the fact that I just had a surgery, and was unable to perform my previous tasks as a PSW. They did not care about me not having a valid CPR certificate, or a current Police Check, which is a HUGE violation of the policy.

At some point, District Director reassured me about getting an Assignment Coordinator position, which is a sitting job and is suitable for my post-surgery condition. However, he did not keep his word; moreover, later on, he denied everything we have talked about.

Upper Management is unapproachable; they do not care about their employees' opinion, safety and well-being. They are non-cooperative and act unprofessionally by ignoring employees' concerns.
Pros
Clients, Co-Workers, Good Salary and Benefits, Hands-On Experience
Cons
Upper Management, Local Management, Nepotism, Indifference, Dishonesty
Paramed
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2018
At ParaMed you will enjoy working with your colleagues who are very helpful and site management are always on hand to listen to employee concerns. Very good experience.
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2018
In addition to their stellar existing employees, Paramed just made a huge addition to their lineup, current HR very good and accessible to all employees and management.
Pros
Great colleagues
Great staff
Personal Support Worker Student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 November 2018
This was My first placement for College. Home care is not for everyone. I learned a lot. With the scattered homes and unpaid driving time, this would NOT be something I'd be interested in at this time.
Pros
Great staff, meeting many new people, free time between clients
Cons
not paid for driving time, must use own car
Not a good send off from internal staff.
PSW (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2018
Just retired from the Paramed. I was very disappointed with the treatment I received. After 22 years of devoted service missing family functions, important events and no family time, I didn't even get a simple thank you. I ended with the same pay as some one just starting. Constant threats about my hours worked by staff barely out of school. I had worked many 90 plus hrs a week without a thank you. Management change over was crazy so many new bosses always changing policys and rules to their benefit not the field staff.

The company is focused on money and quantity and staff and quality. New hires have no understanding of the actual. No heart and compassion for patients or other staff members. So sad.
Should you even think about this company think very carefully before making a choice please. Iits your future.
Pros
No pros, Lots of broken promises.
Cons
Emplyees come last.
Be available 24 / 7
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON8 November 2018
This was an ok place to work. No job security or hours unless you offer up 6 am to 11pm availability.
I enjoyed my clients and coworkers but some management staff were difficult.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Wear and tear on your car and burnout as you have no social life. Always on call.
great starting job
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 November 2018
great salary and benefits but home care ca be hard especially driving in winter. Hard to coordinate with management and other staff when your always on your own.
Schedule is unreliable
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 October 2018
Schedule is inconsistent and unreliable. Salary on the low side.

Overall, it is very work/family life balanced and most staff is pleasant to deal with. Love my clients that I've had for years.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
inconsistant and unreliable schedule
Great
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON16 October 2018
Have only worked here for less than a month, everyone is very helpful and friendly. Everything I need has been supplied. Small office/few interactions.
Loved my clients
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 October 2018
Loved my clients, but my coordinator would double book me for clients or not give me the travel time i needed.
and when you try to book time off you dont get a response until 4 emails later and about a week
Pros
clients
Cons
takes days to respond
hard to understand the management especially most of the coordinator
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
the coordinator is not properly aware of there works always misplaced each schedule overlapping each clients time, we have no regular clients to work everyday seem a short of client and many workers an insufficient of works.
Not enjoyable at all
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 October 2018
Typical home care company with management improvement issues. Supervisors were great, but the office staff kept changing my client schedule while working. Also they would call at 3 or 4 in the morning to have you approve client schedule changes. consistency was hard to find and keep.
Cons
management
one on one with clients
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON10 October 2018
I enjoyed the one on one with my clients. all clients were great. our staffing was done in a different location so sometimes I was sent out of my district. I would get paid to work like 12 hours but be gone from home for 14 hours.
Company doesnt care for its employees
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 September 2018
Ive been working for Paramed for 2 years now. All those 2 years, they only posted regular shift ONCE. Im still casual. Hours are ok but there would be long gaps. Im paying for my health and dental since Im casual. Looking to find a better company soon. I only lasted this long because i get enough hours and I love my job. My clients are very nice and I would surely miss them. Only the higher ups gets good pay. CEO doesnt do much for us, more so the management. What a joke.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Long gaps, no benefit, long term casual
This type of work is great
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2018
I used my skills and knowledge what I learned through my schooling .The management sucked as they continued to have different supervisors every 4 or 5 months and main managers, I love the clients and feel sorry I left because of management and coordinators in Calgary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ParaMed Home Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.