Paragon Farms

Paragon Farms Employee Reviews

Canada10 reviews
Overall this is a good place to work
Have been working at Paragon for a number of years and enjoy working here. Salary is competitive, they have great benefits and a good bonus program as well as they pay into an RRSP if you have been here for 1 year. I am always learning something new, they look for ways to get better performance but are fair about it. Like any job there are some parts that are better then others, the good thing is there is a variety of tasks to perform. I like the people and management.
Lots of work... low salary
Stay away from this company.... Don't consider to work here.
The Boss only wants production. They are good in talking it is as if they care about their workers. They will bargain you and will entice you that this is a good company to work for. But in reality, you are underpaid!!!
Work hard, get hurt, always tired, make minimum wage.
Hard, smelly work. Injuries are frequent. Owners make it pretty clear they don't care about the staff. Start around minimum wage. No overtime pay. Potential quarterly bonus that they've been reducing (if your barn qualifies). Decent benefits if they haven't dropped them yet (owners have complained they cost too much). Go flip burgers, you'll be happier. Manager was good.
Not for the weak stomach
It's a decent place to work. But not if you have a weak stomach or bleeding heart. The pay is ok, not fantastic, but the benefits make up for it. There is a bonus every quarter, provided your barn makes it targets; but the targets are sometimes unreal. If you make your target and get a bonus, in the next quarter, the head office will raise your target, then get angry with you for not meeting said target.
All around decent job
Like any workplace, Paragon has its pluses and minuses. The good is that the work is steady, with no layoffs. My experience says that management is fair, expectations are realistic. Do your work and you are left alone. Absolutely treated respectfully. Is it hard work? Yes and no. Lots of walking, but no heavy lifting. Benefits are good, pay is ok. Not great, but better than a lot of other places. Yes, you do work every other weekend. It's Agriculture. You get used to it. If you are the type who likes to learn every day this can be a pretty good place to work. The job requires teamwork, but also individual work. Benefits are good overall. It really helps if you enjoy and respect animals.
Pros
Benefits, management listens and responds, treated fairly. Quarterly performance bonus is great.
Cons
It's a bit hot in the summer. It's a pig barn. Yes, it smells a bit, but you get used to it.
Horrible Company and managment
I worked in many barn locations in the period of 13 yrs. I would not recommend working for this company unless you want to work your butt off for peanuts and never be appreciated! You will have to work every holiday and every other weekend. Favoritism is a big thing at this company. You will likely not be very happy working here as you will find out very quickly what I am talking about. STAY AWAY!!
Benefits
Cons
Working every holiday and every other weekend. Treated unfairly
Has excellent employees/management. Many facilities (Barns)
I worked for both the North Thamesford and Putnam locations. I enjoyed Putnam the best though. The workers really know their stuff, and Management is easy going. It was a Farrow to Wean operation. "Get the little buggers out the door when their young" I say. The most enjoyable time was when I arrived. I really enjoyed all aspects of the operation. The hardest part of the job is keeping the place clean. but a little each day did the trick.
Fun
Interesting Work experience, kind of miss it.
Co workers are very fun nice people

management is very friendly

hardest part is dealing with sick pigs

most enjoyable is dealing with the piglets
Pros
Good people
Cons
longer hard working hours
Good team environment
Excellent team environment! Hardworking employees that really care about their success. Very competitive benefits program, but lower wages. Overall a good work environment.
Satisfying work
Feeding the sows, breeding the sows and looking after herdhealth. I learned to work as part of a team and help others when they needed help so they can return the favor to. Management as was good let us know what we needed to do and what targets we had to meet or what areas we could improve upon or explained new ways of doing a task. My co-workers were great to work with and we all worked well with each other. The most enjoyable part of my job is achieving our targets and goals constantly.